The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Building a corporation

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

Pharez

New Contributor
Jul 23, 2021
Good day guys... Please, I need some clarity on this. I'm in the process of building a corporation. I've drafted out the full idea & now trying to execute. How can I get people to work with me on the idea without paying them nothing yet, especially as the business will be making little or no profit as a startup?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OMJ

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Millionaire Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Feb 2, 2020
Good day guys... Please, I need some clarity on this. I'm in the process of building a corporation. I've drafted out the full idea & now trying to execute. How can I get people to work with me on the idea without paying them nothing yet, especially as the business will be making little or no profit as a startup?
Charisma

originalMJT

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
Jun 18, 2021
England
offer them shares and when the company makes a profit they get a dividend

theOfficialRJ

Contributor
Dec 31, 2017
Canada
Do you absolutely need these people to work for you? The only real thing that motivates people, especially slow-laners is money. And if they are fast-laners, then why would they work on building someone else's dream?

Be very careful about working with other people. Nobody will ever care more about your company and put in more effort than you will.

thechosen1

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2020
Antarctica
Are you doing something that absolutely cannot make any money at first? Why?

There are lots of businesses that can make money on day 1.

Pharez

New Contributor
Jul 23, 2021
OK, thank you for the advice.

A friend told me about a recent startup which he's part of, where he and the other workers are not paid a dime but everyone is steadily working on the idea. According to him, most of them are excited about the great potential of the company and therefore are willing to work without pay till the company grows.

I was surprised and asked him if they were offered shares but he said no.

So this got me thinking... Aside offering shares, what other ways can I get people to work with on my idea till the company can start paying salaries.

Pharez

New Contributor
Jul 23, 2021
Do you absolutely need these people to work for you? The only real thing that motivates people, especially slow-laners is money. And if they are fast-laners, then why would they work on building someone else's dream?

Be very careful about working with other people. Nobody will ever care more about your company and put in more effort than you will.
Thank you for the advice. I really need these people to work with me because there's a lot of work that I won't be able to do alone.

And like you said, its money that really motivates people to work... That's where my challenge is.

Are there other ways I can motivate people to work with me for sometime aside money, till the money starts coming in?

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 20, 2012
Thank you for the advice. I really need these people to work with me because there's a lot of work that I won't be able to do alone.

And like you said, its money that really motivates people to work... That's where my challenge is.

Are there other ways I can motivate people to work with me for sometime aside money, till the money starts coming in?

Give them equity or bribe them with lunch/dinner/"experience" that they can use as referral for the next job they apply for. I reckon a lot of talented Nigerians come out of college/uni with no real life experience and thus can't land a job because employers want people with experience. Try the "intern" angle.

Pharez

New Contributor
Jul 23, 2021
Are you doing something that absolutely cannot make any money at first? Why?

There are lots of businesses that can make money on day 1.
Thanks for your reply. The challenge is that it might take sometime before it starts making money because we'll need to test and validate the idea over a period of time & this may require spending money on our own part.

That's why I'm asking, are there ways I can get people that can stick with me through all the process till the money starts coming in?

Pharez

New Contributor
Jul 23, 2021
Give them equity or bribe them with lunch/dinner/"experience" that they can use as referral for the next job they apply for. I reckon a lot of talented Nigerians come out of college/uni with no real life experience and thus can't land a job because employers want people with experience. Try the "intern" angle.
Wow, nice. This is one good way. Thank you.

Private Witt

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I built my brand to a certain point with a small local community on Instagram, developed relationships, incurred media coverage, made a solid name in the industry, and started to offer equity deals. My team is at over 20 with the goal of adding a bunch more to close the year for a much more active 2022.

Keys are to keep word at all time, do not abuse with overworking, make sure you have something solid with a concept that has a high ceiling and be careful of bringing in trash and use short term contracts at first. Best to offer low amounts of equity at first with option to go higher later than get stuck in equity deals that lock down a large part of your company. Took me five years to get to the point where I was confident to offer deals with more than a few people.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Pharez

New Contributor
Jul 23, 2021
I built my brand to a certain point with a small local community on Instagram, developed relationships, incurred media coverage, made a solid name in the industry, and started to offer equity deals. My team is at over 20 with the goal of adding a bunch more to close the year for a much more active 2022.

Keys are to keep word at all time, do not abuse with overworking, make sure you have something solid with a concept that has a high ceiling and be careful of bringing in trash and use short term contracts at first. Best to offer low amounts of equity at first with option to go higher later than get stuck in equity deals that lock down a large part of your company. Took me five years to get to the point where I was confident to offer deals with more than a few people.
This is helpful, thank you.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE  You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
What I got was completely unexpected; @LightHouse generously talked with me for 2 straight hours...
MARKETPLACE  Freelance University: Solve Every Freelance Problem (Especially on Upwork)
FU. 4 DAYS. 50% OFF BLACK FRIDAY SALE! If you're an Upwork freelancer, you'd be a fool not to...
MARKETPLACE  For Sale: Food Brand with 4 Years of Happy Customers in a Fast-Growing Niche
So to get certified, it cost a fortune? How much exactly? That sucks that these "health...
MARKETPLACE  Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Fox's Web School helps you learn a specialized skill which you can use to get to Fastlane. It's...
MARKETPLACE  Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom