The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Build a real estate company in a D area

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
Good job! You're a winner!

Thanks!

Today was a good day. I rented 1 of my three vacant commercial spaces. It’s not a million dollar deal as a matter of fact the rent was $750 a month for three years with two months free, so it’s basically peanuts.

But I was close to break even with this project. And I was paying taxes and santitation, insurance etc for a vacant space. So this goes right to the bottom line. I just rented a store in the worst bulilding in Newburgh NY. Vacant for 10 years. A notorious drug corner. So I’m jumping up and down over here mentally.

After the free rent is up....6/15 it basically puts 8370 a year in the cash register. And up here that’s an 83k equity bump.

I was at the bank today at 8 am working with the loan officer on this and he likes the numbers. The space got rented at 2. it’s a good day.

Killing it with the MJ todo list. Had another investor trying to pry a copy out of my hands when he saw it. He’s like what is that. I told him and he goes do you have a blank copy? NO! But they sell them.....this alone has made my INSIDERS scrip a priceless investment.

Last edited:

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
Working on a store now. It’s my last unrented store. I have had it listed on CL for 6 months. I’ve showed it to a few people but it needs a lot of work. I was hoping to get a tenant then do some work on it once I had a customer. But at this point I decided I had to do something. I posted it in Instagram as a free pop up to anyone that would take it for a week. Got 3 interested freeloaders. Just kidding at this point I need some action there. At least get some feedback.

For some reason I don’t have a good shot of the front. It’s looks different now. Windows are cleaned up and all signs are down. Started gutting today. Except for a sinus headache feels better already.

Attachments

• 23D13034-3F42-40DE-8190-F583912225E3.jpeg
    23D13034-3F42-40DE-8190-F583912225E3.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 4343B31B-E656-4FC9-B3D6-9551FD28A097.jpeg
    4343B31B-E656-4FC9-B3D6-9551FD28A097.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 28

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Steady progress.
Find a way.

You are teaching a Master's course.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Working on a store now. It’s my last unrented store. I have had it listed on CL for 6 months. I’ve showed it to a few people but it needs a lot of work. I was hoping to get a tenant then do some work on it once I had a customer. But at this point I decided I had to do something. I posted it in Instagram as a free pop up to anyone that would take it for a week. Got 3 interested freeloaders. Just kidding at this point I need some action there. At least get some feedback.

For some reason I don’t have a good shot of the front. It’s looks different now. Windows are cleaned up and all signs are down. Started gutting today. Except for a sinus headache feels better already.
You have the magic formula. You are relentless! Keep going. You are making your own good luck.

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
@WJK @ZCP thank you. Thanks for following this.
Made some mistakes. I rented to a bad tenant a few months ago. Apt came back to me from a long term inherited tenant. The apt needed lots of work but I was broke. I had a known bad tenant come in with cash, I showed it they would take as is. Filled with garbage and they would clean it out. I had 10 vacants apts at the time. Dumb but, I rented to them.

So had a fire in that building today. The bad Tenant threw a cigarette in the garbage. In the bathroom. So had my first bathroom fire ever. Ive has dead tenants in the bathroom but never a bathroom fire. I have a rule. If the cops or FD come to my house i usually evict that tenant. This time is no different. FD gave me a stop work order on my store below bc they came to the house.

Got another tenant headed for eviction too. He called the health Dept instead of telling me he had bed bugs. Argh. I have an Extermintor. Tenants don’t call me they call health Dept. Then HD calls me give summons. Then I call Exterminator. Them HD comes to inspect problem solved. But first I call lawyer to evict that idiot tenant. Sorry venting.

This idiot tenant was no good either and I rented to them also. I knew I shouldn’t. I could tell he was that type. Always trust your instinct. But I was broke and I was weak.

Good news. I passed a City inspection today for a unit that was condemned and illegal when I bought it. Got it really cheap bc it was a disaster. It was renting for 560$ to current tenant. One women. Apt was in shambles City did and inspection and failed it right after I bought it.

I Kept the tenant in place did repairs and the tenant had gotten a S8 voucher. Rent goes up to 1100. Tenant called to say they love the new floors, paint and apliances and thanks. That’s good for now. We’ll see.

Better news. Had a legal rooming house the city had condemned it neeed repairs. I did some repairs. Now it’s not easy but they could take me to court revoke my CO then I would have to gut and redo whole building. Return to single family. I asked them to help me out and reissue CO. The city hates rooming houses. I don’t like them either ...but my mom was a drug addict. My Dad was in prison. So I’ve lived in some rooming houses. I know what to do with them. Fear and RULES. Make them afraid to break the rules and they will abide. Be a dictator about the rules. Cleanliness. Garbage where it’s supposed to be. No visitors. No BS or you get evicted. I could write a book on rooming houses but I think someone did. If your game it’s $$$$$

Anyway It’s 4 rooms. I can rent the rooms 500-625 each. So all 4 for 2000-2500(tops but I can dream).....as an apt it’s a 4 bedroom it’s 1250 a month tops in that area. It’s ghetto. The Inspector said OK. That’s huge.

So next month I’ll probably do 25k. That’s black. Way in the black. Thanks for the support. Just getting feedback here has helped me. Thanks.

One more thing. I’m on BP. Been there for a few years. Great site for RE knowledge. Not so much for get it done as how to. So I joined a meetup last year of 4-5 people. They faded away....I kept it up. Once a month. This month I had 40 attendees. Banks, hard money guys, RE agents, insurance guys and other investors.

I mentor a few guys they show up it’s a fun thing. Coffee and BS. Some of my guys own a few houses. A few own 3-4. So it’s done something already. We do it at 8am. Today people said that I’m helping change the city......that’s big. I’m not finished yet but that’s my goal. I want to turn newburgh around. I’m pretty sure I never mentioned that before but that’s what started the whole thing.

Almost last. I was in retreat last month. I dug up Grant cardones 10x. I’ve listened to it a bunch of times. Good for rah, rah, rah. Listened to it and realized I was in retreat. I decided to attack instead. I’m coming up with some plans for attack.

Last and WJK will like this. I’m selling one house. I bought it for 47k last year. Inherited a tenant. They were paying 1066 a month they pay all utilities. So I’m December they stop paying. Now this house is a 2 family but one family had both floors. I told them “hey I have another house like that one inremt it for 1250 per floor. Pay your rent. They BS I evict. I asked a realtor today that I trust what do you think it’s worth. As is. She says 125-150. Market is hot. So I’m listing that one. It’s got the plywood on the windows...copper lines throughout and the thieves are still out there.

Attachments

• B008047D-03F3-4E7F-8A8C-3BDBD1DE40CE.jpeg
    B008047D-03F3-4E7F-8A8C-3BDBD1DE40CE.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 3AD07627-7218-4E60-9998-F945A8E26794.jpeg
    3AD07627-7218-4E60-9998-F945A8E26794.jpeg
    360.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
OLT
Starting a food and wine festival too. My wife really wants to kill me now. I was noticing that all the cool upstate cities have good events and we have some sock knitting and hippie head scratching events. I used to own an events space so creating events while a time sucker are no biggie. So I called some of my old partners and said hey. “ I have a 10k sf space up here and a bunch of vacant lots. Want free space? Then I posted the hell out of it on Instagram. Keep you posted. Might bankrupt and divorce me.

Attachments

• 5D5D222C-A97C-45C2-9AAE-46FA5CACD70A.jpeg
    5D5D222C-A97C-45C2-9AAE-46FA5CACD70A.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 7

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
@WJK @ZCP thank you. Thanks for following this.
Made some mistakes. I rented to a bad tenant a few months ago. Apt came back to me from a long term inherited tenant. The apt needed lots of work but I was broke. I had a known bad tenant come in with cash, I showed it they would take as is. Filled with garbage and they would clean it out. I had 10 vacants apts at the time. Dumb but, I rented to them.

So had a fire in that building today. The bad Tenant threw a cigarette in the garbage. In the bathroom. So had my first bathroom fire ever. Ive has dead tenants in the bathroom but never a bathroom fire. I have a rule. If the cops or FD come to my house i usually evict that tenant. This time is no different. FD gave me a stop work order on my store below bc they came to the house.

Got another tenant headed for eviction too. He called the health Dept instead of telling me he had bed bugs. Argh. I have an Extermintor. Tenants don’t call me they call health Dept. Then HD calls me give summons. Then I call Exterminator. Them HD comes to inspect problem solved. But first I call lawyer to evict that idiot tenant. Sorry venting.

This idiot tenant was no good either and I rented to them also. I knew I shouldn’t. I could tell he was that type. Always trust your instinct. But I was broke and I was weak.

Good news. I passed a City inspection today for a unit that was condemned and illegal when I bought it. Got it really cheap bc it was a disaster. It was renting for 560$ to current tenant. One women. Apt was in shambles City did and inspection and failed it right after I bought it.

I Kept the tenant in place did repairs and the tenant had gotten a S8 voucher. Rent goes up to 1100. Tenant called to say they love the new floors, paint and apliances and thanks. That’s good for now. We’ll see.

Better news. Had a legal rooming house the city had condemned it neeed repairs. I did some repairs. Now it’s not easy but they could take me to court revoke my CO then I would have to gut and redo whole building. Return to single family. I asked them to help me out and reissue CO. The city hates rooming houses. I don’t like them either ...but my mom was a drug addict. My Dad was in prison. So I’ve lived in some rooming houses. I know what to do with them. Fear and RULES. Make them afraid to break the rules and they will abide. Be a dictator about the rules. Cleanliness. Garbage where it’s supposed to be. No visitors. No BS or you get evicted. I could write a book on rooming houses but I think someone did. If your game it’s $$$$$

Anyway It’s 4 rooms. I can rent the rooms 500-625 each. So all 4 for 2000-2500(tops but I can dream).....as an apt it’s a 4 bedroom it’s 1250 a month tops in that area. It’s ghetto. The Inspector said OK. That’s huge.

So next month I’ll probably do 25k. That’s black. Way in the black. Thanks for the support. Just getting feedback here has helped me. Thanks.

One more thing. I’m on BP. Been there for a few years. Great site for RE knowledge. Not so much for get it done as how to. So I joined a meetup last year of 4-5 people. They faded away....I kept it up. Once a month. This month I had 40 attendees. Banks, hard money guys, RE agents, insurance guys and other investors.

I mentor a few guys they show up it’s a fun thing. Coffee and BS. Some of my guys own a few houses. A few own 3-4. So it’s done something already. We do it at 8am. Today people said that I’m helping change the city......that’s big. I’m not finished yet but that’s my goal. I want to turn newburgh around. I’m pretty sure I never mentioned that before but that’s what started the whole thing.

Almost last. I was in retreat last month. I dug up Grant cardones 10x. I’ve listened to it a bunch of times. Good for rah, rah, rah. Listened to it and realized I was in retreat. I decided to attack instead. I’m coming up with some plans for attack.

Last and WJK will like this. I’m selling one house. I bought it for 47k last year. Inherited a tenant. They were paying 1066 a month they pay all utilities. So I’m December they stop paying. Now this house is a 2 family but one family had both floors. I told them “hey I have another house like that one inremt it for 1250 per floor. Pay your rent. They BS I evict. I asked a realtor today that I trust what do you think it’s worth. As is. She says 125-150. Market is hot. So I’m listing that one. It’s got the plywood on the windows...copper lines throughout and the thieves are still out there.
John, just keep swing... don't quit... don't retreat...
What I like about your current plan and actions right now, is that you are back to business. When you started writing this thread, you were in an emotional straight jacket. Now, you're just taking everything issue by issue. It's time to crunch your numbers again -- you're coming out of your "cash cave" and back into the black. Congratulations. Check your plan, made adjustments, and keep getting one foot in front of the other.
FYI -- I go on BP too.

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
@WJK thanks!

Building Dept hit me with 10 violations after the fire. Mostly related to the fire...a few because the fire called attention to me. Cost me some much needed cash but the cost of doing biz.

Got about 5 evictions in progress. Continuing to cull the bottom 10% of my tenants and then spruce up with paint LVP flooring and Rent to a better tenant. Looks like the store below the fire will be rented.

Was reading a news article last night complaining of gentrification in Newburgh. That is good news. When folks are complaining about gentrification I’m a happy guy. Last time this happened my rents quadruped in 10 years. Kind of crazy how quickly things are changing. Every week I go up I meet new investors

The City contacted me about my meetup....they asked if they could attend. They want to know if we can work together on some things.....no public comment.

One of my tenants never put his utility in his name. Got a bill for 1000 or so this week. 5 months. Argh. They were mailing it to the address of the building and I don’t have a box there. I called him up he’s like I’ll pay when you fix my apt up. My fault bad tenant should have evicted sooner. He’s been there for years place is trashed. Looking forward to him leaving me fixing it up. He tried to break into another tenants place the next day. See ya.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
@WJK thanks!

Building Dept hit me with 10 violations after the fire. Mostly related to the fire...a few because the fire called attention to me. Cost me some much needed cash but the cost of doing biz.

Got about 5 evictions in progress. Continuing to cull the bottom 10% of my tenants and then spruce up with paint LVP flooring and Rent to a better tenant. Looks like the store below the fire will be rented.

Was reading a news article last night complaining of gentrification in Newburgh. That is good news. When folks are complaining about gentrification I’m a happy guy. Last time this happened my rents quadruped in 10 years. Kind of crazy how quickly things are changing. Every week I go up I meet new investors

The City contacted me about my meetup....they asked if they could attend. They want to know if we can work together on some things.....no public comment.

One of my tenants never put his utility in his name. Got a bill for 1000 or so this week. 5 months. Argh. They were mailing it to the address of the building and I don’t have a box there. I called him up he’s like I’ll pay when you fix my apt up. My fault bad tenant should have evicted sooner. He’s been there for years place is trashed. Looking forward to him leaving me fixing it up. He tried to break into another tenants place the next day. See ya.
You just keep swing! Good fI or you.
That bill for guy's electrical service just means that you need to check on that issue next time with the electric company. Maybe a check list for each tenant. I know, I know -- you've been up to your a$$ in alligators...
Did you get the shoes off of the wires in front of your building?
You're doing great. You still have you head above water.
I just wrote a blog about a mobile home that was so bad, we had to tear it down. If you get time, read it. I attached it to the "read it" in red. It's funny now -- it wasn't then. I sure know how you feel. Hang tough!

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
You just keep swing! Good fI or you.
That bill for guy's electrical service just means that you need to check on that issue next time with the electric company. Maybe a check list for each tenant. I know, I know -- you've been up to your a$$ in alligators...
Did you get the shoes off of the wires in front of your building?
You're doing great. You still have you head above water.
I just wrote a blog about a mobile home that was so bad, we had to tear it down. If you get time, read it. I attached it to the "read it" in red. It's funny now -- it wasn't then. I sure know how you feel. Hang tough!

@WJK yes I know what you mean. I’ll read it I skimmed it and realize your right.

Short story. Years ago it was a very cold winter days of -4 or -6 f. That’s really cold. My water pipe froze up in nyc. My heating was steam. So no water no heat. There is a subway stop in front of my house. The tenants had left for hotels. Bc the subway it would cost 20k or more to repair. I was broke. Through some research and a bunch of 12 hour days I fixed the problem for 1500. Or so. I was cold and wet for days. We had a 3 year old a 1 year old and my wife was pregant.

No we look back and not yet laugh but one day we will.

Thanks for the knowledge and feedback.

No sneakers are still up. But this is the room the drug dealers were in. Before and after.

Attachments

• 91BB32B3-9AEC-4802-B45A-DC187D1A68A8.jpeg
    91BB32B3-9AEC-4802-B45A-DC187D1A68A8.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 22

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
That guy broke into the room the night after the drug bust.

Things have changed in that building. It wasn’t easy.

Attachments

• 079EC3AE-996D-48B2-803F-156087829E42.jpeg
    079EC3AE-996D-48B2-803F-156087829E42.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 33
  • 92066191-35FA-46D9-878E-D932923CE00B.jpeg
    92066191-35FA-46D9-878E-D932923CE00B.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 33

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
@WJK yes I know what you mean. I’ll read it I skimmed it and realize your right.

Short story. Years ago it was a very cold winter days of -4 or -6 f. That’s really cold. My water pipe froze up in nyc. My heating was steam. So no water no heat. There is a subway stop in front of my house. The tenants had left for hotels. Bc the subway it would cost 20k or more to repair. I was broke. Through some research and a bunch of 12 hour days I fixed the problem for 1500. Or so. I was cold and wet for days. We had a 3 year old a 1 year old and my wife was pregant.

No we look back and not yet laugh but one day we will.

Thanks for the knowledge and feedback.

No sneakers are still up. But this is the room the drug dealers were in. Before and after.
I'd much rather have a vacancy rather than a bad tenant. Love your picture of the bare floor. Keep them out. I know it's impossible to know anyone until you marry them or rent to them! Peace and happiness to you!

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
Money is tight...bc I Bought another house...and another next Friday. Crazy but they were both good deals. I found them and brought in two other investors. I put up 25% on each. First one is a one family in a 3 family zone. 4 stories. Orange permit in the Window. We put in for a variance for 3 family. It needs a ton of work but the block is awesome. View of the hudson close to cool coffee shops all that. Paid 45k needs 150 worth about 275 arv....I hope. Second one paid 69k needs 50-70k worth 250k. Might try to fix up the first one a bit then sell. It’s a big project.

Putting a few up for sale in the next week or two...putting finishing touches on. The green one. And the nice pics inside.

Refi is moving along. Waiting to hear back. Hard money loan is killing me. 12k a month right now. Almost over, can’t wait.

Attachments

• 29CB2734-F542-4D42-9D73-84D5C60D48F1.jpeg
    29CB2734-F542-4D42-9D73-84D5C60D48F1.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 22
  • FB40335B-65EB-436C-A493-104F7C92ABFB.jpeg
    FB40335B-65EB-436C-A493-104F7C92ABFB.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 9481E475-3D22-4422-98E9-7CACB48CD389.jpeg
    9481E475-3D22-4422-98E9-7CACB48CD389.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 21
  • C2554B8D-F532-4C4B-AD66-84E1FCD5D009.jpeg
    C2554B8D-F532-4C4B-AD66-84E1FCD5D009.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 352CD535-5DDB-491A-9BFB-FC4627E4D892.jpeg
    352CD535-5DDB-491A-9BFB-FC4627E4D892.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 8FD76FDD-7DDA-4AB6-B549-CACDC19A5492.jpeg
    8FD76FDD-7DDA-4AB6-B549-CACDC19A5492.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 21

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
This will be my progress thread. I’m getting my head kicked in right now. Feel like I jumped off the boat with cement floaties. I have been meaning to start writing for a while but with things getting worse every day I found it hard to get out of bed. Let alone document my weakness and failures. It’s definitely my problem. I have made a lot of mistakes.

I’ve been a real estate as hobby investor for 12 years. Done mostly live in flips. I’ve bought and sold 4 houses and currently own 12. Started out with one three family in 06. I sold that last year and did a 1031.

In the 1031 I purchased a package of buildings from a slumlord. It’s comprised of 37 stores, apartments and rented rooms. They need a ton of work.

I bought these houses knowing that they were in a depressed area of NYS. I knew the city had a reputation as the “murder capital of New York State. I looked for the worst part of the city. There I found a building that seemed worse than those around it. Luckily for me the owner was easily convinced it was time to sell.

Edit: If this sounds like a complaint that’s not how I mean it. All of my complaints right now would not exist if I had not handled executed better.

What is your plan with these units/stores ? If you got a good deal on them you can try wholesaling them to investors who buy them and fix them ? I do this here in Arizona and it works pretty well

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
What is your plan with these units/stores ? If you got a good deal on them you can try wholesaling them to investors who buy them and fix them ? I do this here in Arizona and it works pretty welll

I usually buy distressed and fix up. This house is extremely distressed it’ll probably cost at least 150k. But it’s in a rally up and coming area. We bought it for 45k but shells like this are selling now for 100k or more.

I’m only going to do limited work on it.

I’ll ask for the variance going from single family to three family...that’s tonight. Go before the Architectural Review Board and ask permission to paint the House and change the windows, fix the roof (already), fix some structural isssues (working on it)run the service electric for the Building and clean out the garbage(took out 7 tons)

Long term goal is to build a large portfolio But in the meantime when I see a property that’s a good deal but I can’t hold it long term I don’t mind fix and flip or in this case do the haeavy lifting and when it’s ready for interior work sell. There is def money being left on the table but the 150k budget isn’t there.

I have a long term strategy for the city so Depending on where the other houses are located I will fix up and hold or sell.

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
Got the variance. Building is worth way more tonight then it was this morning. What a relief. I was banking it would happen but it could have gotten voted down.

That was a huge gamble. If it hadn’t been approved I didn’t really have a way out except to flip it but that’s more cash in then I had. Lucky again.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Got the variance. Building is worth way more tonight then it was this morning. What a relief. I was banking it would happen but it could have gotten voted down.

That was a huge gamble. If it hadn’t been approved I didn’t really have a way out except to flip it but that’s more cash in then I had. Lucky again.
Congratulations! Now you JUST have to make it work. You know how to do it. Go for it.

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
@WJK thanks.

Been a while. Haven’t been back. no good news.

Few updates. Some things went well. Got the house with the boards into contract. Paid 47k last may. put in about 25 plus holding costs. Have two partners. In contact for 159k, so that one should be a good one.

Overall tho I’m still in trouble. Little profit for two months the but then this months with taxes, water, sewer due I’ll lose about 8k this month.

Got 4 vacant apts right now. Money and time are tight and I’m having trouble getting them ready. Doing them 1 at a time. Crews i usually use are busy.

Got 3 other houses on the market right now. Bought one for 75 put in 20k. It’s had a vacant commercial space. I rented that to a deli that’s well known in the area. Very stable tenant. It’s on the market for 150k.

Last one is the the rooming house. Paid 465. I evicted almost all the tenants and did lipstick Reno as I went. This one also has a store on the fiat floor. The crime problem in the building is cleaned up. It’s on the market for 659.

Bought another for 45k on the market for 154. Fixed the roof and cleaned it out.

Been a few weeks on the market on two. The oher for a month. I think they are all overpriced....except the one in contract. I had the agents drop the prices already but they are fighting me on dropping more.

My live in onsite agent stole about 2500$ this month in cash. Think he’s gotten involved in drugs. Hit him with a 30 day notice and working on getting him arrested.

Wife’s clothing store is open and doing well so far. At least one of us is doing something that cash flows. She’s not bothering me about working late anymore tho. She’s working late now.

Working on getting focused, but seems every time I do I have another fire or flood. Lists of important things get pushed aside by ceilings collapsing, stores getting robbed etc.

Need to focus.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
The second tenant and I had an agreement that I would install heat and a bathroom in his space. I made the deal quickly and later learned the city wouldn’t approve my plans.
That'd be right. Cities end up as cesspits because their governments deliberately make them so. People don't just go and make a shit city. They go and inhabit a good city and then deliberately drive it into the ground. Maybe you've got to grease some people into not being you-know-whats and getting out of your way.

So now I’m evicting more people. The dealers got busted in a drug raid. Tanks, helicopters, swat team. The came in with combat gear and swept the place clean. That night after the cops left neighborhood folks busted my front door broke in to the dealers apt and stole all his stuff and trashed the place. Next day I found two people barricaded in a junk filled room with a refrigerator wedged up against the door.
Your life sounds epic exciting. You should write a kindle book about it at some point.

She wanted a full accounting.
Your wife sounds pretty wise, I'd follow her orders.

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
That'd be right. Cities end up as cesspits because their governments deliberately make them so. People don't just go and make a sh*t city. They go and inhabit a good city and then deliberately drive it into the ground. Maybe you've got to grease some people into not being you-know-whats and getting out of your way.

Your life sounds epic exciting. You should write a kindle book about it at some point.

Your wife sounds pretty wise, I'd follow her orders.
I left about about two millennia of stuff.

I was showing an agent one of my properties a few weeks ago. For months we had a lot of flies in the building. Normally I’m a little more proactive but this building only has shit tenants. So I wrote it off. Turns out there was a hole in the main sewer. There was 2 feet of raw sewage in the Crawl space. Finally got the idea when none of the plumbing was working. I’m under the floor cleaning out the crap with an inadequate pair of rubber gloves when the agent shows. I hop out and start my car salesman act when I Street guy gets the idea to hit me up for cash. I see him a lot. Usually duck him. But this time he’s got me back against the wall. In a corner. Him and the agent leaving me exit. Starts telling me he’s a killer. Tough guy. Well I’m pretty frustrated at this point. I feel like mike Douglas in falling down. 30 seconds later my thumbs are buried in his eyes and the agent is running for the car. Finances might be kicking my a$$. But no one is going to kick me a$$ while my back is against my own property.

I have 5 vacant apartments right now, 2 vacant commercial. Two evictions in process. And I’m still spending every dollar I can to drag my properties out of rhe filth and make them attractive, secure and affordable. Not giving up.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
@WJK thanks.

Been a while. Haven’t been back. no good news.

Few updates. Some things went well. Got the house with the boards into contract. Paid 47k last may. put in about 25 plus holding costs. Have two partners. In contact for 159k, so that one should be a good one.

Overall tho I’m still in trouble. Little profit for two months the but then this months with taxes, water, sewer due I’ll lose about 8k this month.

Got 4 vacant apts right now. Money and time are tight and I’m having trouble getting them ready. Doing them 1 at a time. Crews i usually use are busy.

Got 3 other houses on the market right now. Bought one for 75 put in 20k. It’s had a vacant commercial space. I rented that to a deli that’s well known in the area. Very stable tenant. It’s on the market for 150k.

Last one is the the rooming house. Paid 465. I evicted almost all the tenants and did lipstick Reno as I went. This one also has a store on the fiat floor. The crime problem in the building is cleaned up. It’s on the market for 659.

Bought another for 45k on the market for 154. Fixed the roof and cleaned it out.

Been a few weeks on the market on two. The oher for a month. I think they are all overpriced....except the one in contract. I had the agents drop the prices already but they are fighting me on dropping more.

My live in onsite agent stole about 2500$ this month in cash. Think he’s gotten involved in drugs. Hit him with a 30 day notice and working on getting him arrested.

Wife’s clothing store is open and doing well so far. At least one of us is doing something that cash flows. She’s not bothering me about working late anymore tho. She’s working late now.

Working on getting focused, but seems every time I do I have another fire or flood. Lists of important things get pushed aside by ceilings collapsing, stores getting robbed etc.

Need to focus.
Things with you sound normal to me. Keep on stepping. It's hard to see clearly when you're up to a$$ in alligators.

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
Might see if we can change this posting title to watch this guy get a haircut.

This is ugly. The six months on the sheet below are the better 6 of 10 months. There is none of the Reno money I brought to the deal or money that borrowed lately on this sheet. to keep things moving along. When you factor in that money It’s creeping up on a 230k loss for 10 months. I owe about 1.5 m on loans on 2.7 in property right now. I also owe about 150k in Personal or cc. Mostly biz stuff. If I was a professional RE guy this would be a hiccup. But my 9-5 i take home about 750 a weak.

Closing on a sale next week fingers crossed. That one will be a small profit for me. I had partners. Percentage wise it’s sick deal but small so it doesn’t matter too much.

I had 4 properties on the market. But the market is getting soft right now. My broker called me last week. Good News! I had a cash offer 500k. no contingency on the rooming house. I would have lost about 50k (I paid 464k and did some Reno) selling at that price. I’m selling for 3 reasons. It’s a major PIA. I couldn’t refi the SRO, and it’s (62% occupancy) losing money every month bc I’m strict with new tenants. Heavy duty background checks no Sex offenders, no social service tenants. Only tenants with verifiable income. If I wasn’t strict I’d have 100% occupancy.

When I got the offer they were putting down 10% with a financing and inspection contingency. So i told them to get the cash they said they had together. I had major trouble doing a refi with the sro. That’s why I put it on the market.

So I’m taking a beating financially. I’be been a bit depressed and anxious again hard to sleep. Have to take deep breaths and calm myself sometimes. Getting anxiety a bit.

So I stopped to take a look at what I’m doing wrong. Of course this is all my fault. I made the wrong choices to get myself here.

Working on a way back to success. Been on a diet. Low sugar, low alcohol( I was drinking a ridiculous anount a day for a few months) getting a bit of focus lately.

My retreat plan had been to sell about half what I hold in portfolio. Then pay bills, taxes etc.

The soft market killed that plan. There are son many properties on the market mine are not even getting many showings.

Working on the new plan.

Attachments

• portfolio expenses.xlsx
    158.3 KB · Views: 10

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Might see if we can change this posting title to watch this guy get a haircut.

This is ugly. The six months on the sheet below are the better 6 of 10 months. There is none of the Reno money I brought to the deal or money that borrowed lately on this sheet. to keep things moving along. When you factor in that money It’s creeping up on a 230k loss for 10 months. I owe about 1.5 m on loans on 2.7 in property right now. I also owe about 150k in Personal or cc. Mostly biz stuff. If I was a professional RE guy this would be a hiccup. But my 9-5 i take home about 750 a weak.

Closing on a sale next week fingers crossed. That one will be a small profit for me. I had partners. Percentage wise it’s sick deal but small so it doesn’t matter too much.

I had 4 properties on the market. But the market is getting soft right now. My broker called me last week. Good News! I had a cash offer 500k. no contingency on the rooming house. I would have lost about 50k (I paid 464k and did some Reno) selling at that price. I’m selling for 3 reasons. It’s a major PIA. I couldn’t refi the SRO, and it’s (62% occupancy) losing money every month bc I’m strict with new tenants. Heavy duty background checks no Sex offenders, no social service tenants. Only tenants with verifiable income. If I wasn’t strict I’d have 100% occupancy.

When I got the offer they were putting down 10% with a financing and inspection contingency. So i told them to get the cash they said they had together. I had major trouble doing a refi with the sro. That’s why I put it on the market.

So I’m taking a beating financially. I’be been a bit depressed and anxious again hard to sleep. Have to take deep breaths and calm myself sometimes. Getting anxiety a bit.

So I stopped to take a look at what I’m doing wrong. Of course this is all my fault. I made the wrong choices to get myself here.

Working on a way back to success. Been on a diet. Low sugar, low alcohol( I was drinking a ridiculous anount a day for a few months) getting a bit of focus lately.

My retreat plan had been to sell about half what I hold in portfolio. Then pay bills, taxes etc.

The soft market killed that plan. There are son many properties on the market mine are not even getting many showings.

Working on the new plan.
I left about about two millennia of stuff.

I was showing an agent one of my properties a few weeks ago. For months we had a lot of flies in the building. Normally I’m a little more proactive but this building only has sh*t tenants. So I wrote it off. Turns out there was a hole in the main sewer. There was 2 feet of raw sewage in the Crawl space. Finally got the idea when none of the plumbing was working. I’m under the floor cleaning out the crap with an inadequate pair of rubber gloves when the agent shows. I hop out and start my car salesman act when I Street guy gets the idea to hit me up for cash. I see him a lot. Usually duck him. But this time he’s got me back against the wall. In a corner. Him and the agent leaving me exit. Starts telling me he’s a killer. Tough guy. Well I’m pretty frustrated at this point. I feel like mike Douglas in falling down. 30 seconds later my thumbs are buried in his eyes and the agent is running for the car. Finances might be kicking my a$$. But no one is going to kick me a$$ while my back is against my own property.

I have 5 vacant apartments right now, 2 vacant commercial. Two evictions in process. And I’m still spending every dollar I can to drag my properties out of rhe filth and make them attractive, secure and affordable. Not giving up.
You're upside down on every thing. I know how you feel. Bail out on as much red ink as you can. Is there anything that you can turn around?

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
You're upside down on every thing. I know how you feel. Bail out on as much red ink as you can. Is there anything that you can turn around?
Agree with that. Been working on it. Trying to ready the properties with the least amount of work needed for sale.

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
Sold a house last week. Bought it for 47 sold it for 159. Had some partners in it and still settling few Accts payable but we did make some money.

So I have 13 apts under renovation or about to begin renovation. I’ve got just about 30 in total so almost 50 vacant. Not what I planned on. I wanted to do 1 or two at a time.

Dealing with it.

JohnD Realestate

New to Online retail
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Dec 23, 2017
Chappaqua
Missed a word above. It should have said 50.....percent vacant.

Just got a refi done. It was a mess and I paid more than I wanted but it’s 8.75 instead of 12% so it’s better. It’s about half my loan amount. Working on the rest now.

Going into contract to sell another house now. Paid 75k in it for 90k. It’s been cashfkowing about 450 a month for a year. Selling for 134 I’ll clear about 122 I think, so close to 32 in profit. That money is going straight to paying some debt off.

I cleaned out a retirement account. About 30% of what I have. Been using it for reno work. No choice. Needed the money to do reno work or I would be trying to sell stuff that needed way too much work. 19AB85FC-7D55-45A2-AA92-A3062A7ACC19.jpegA8B50CB6-6D75-48D5-BCA4-9472D062DBC0.jpegEFAC6999-7CD5-44C6-A92D-075720C672FF.jpegEB187107-2080-4AE4-ADF6-CA72A39D4495.jpeg

Closing in on finishing two more apts now. Two last month two this month. Down to 9 vacant, But getting ready to start on 4 more so I’ll be right back to 13.
Working on another commercial space. Things are looking good. Still risky, money’s still tight but I only lost about 2k last month and once I rent a few more apts I’ll start to run black soon.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
You're crazy man! Good for you.

I used to work in Newburgh, that city is no joke. Talk about a place you don't want to be when the sun goes down...

Anyhow, I had always wondered when it would turn around. Geographically, the area is gorgeous and has lots to offer. Just a lot of old Bronx/Brooklyn wash up that needs to go first.

You've shown you're able to take repeated hits square on the chin, always getting back up. You will make it.

Stay safe.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Good for you. Keeping working on your vacancy rate. It's also a safety issue. Your units are a lot more secure with tenants in them. Overall, are you reducing your LTV (loan to value ratio)? That will be your next challenge.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.