The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Build-A-Bear promotion + backfire. 8+ hour queues for teddy bears..

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
pD3zBeP.png

A cheap teddy offer which left shoppers with young children queuing for up to eight hours amid chaotic scenes has been abandoned over "safety concerns".

Build-A-Bear Workshop was offering UK customers a chance to buy any bear, which can cost up to £52, for the price of their child's age.

At Leeds' White Rose Shopping Centre police were called when queues of "about a mile long" formed.

The company said the response had been "overwhelming and unprecedented".

There have also been reports of long queues in US shopping centres, where the American company was also putting on the same promotion on Thursday.

Build-A-Bear runs a promotion where for July 12th, you can get a bear for the cost of your child's age. So you could buy a bear for your 3 year old for $3. Apparently the bears typically cost up to ~$50.

Lines were getting to be so long, and presumably disorderly, that they had to end the promotion, angering many.

s1bfc3U.png

VDFtCDt.png

Another classic tale for the sidewalker story books.

Just goes to show how most people value their time.

Source: Build-a-Bear shuts down single-day 'Pay Your Age' sale: It was so successful, it failed

Build-A-Bear shops stuffed amid offer chaos

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kanunay

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 20, 2018
United States
Maybe not 100 percent failure - it's all over the news now. Kids everywhere that didn't know about it will want one after seeing everyone lining up for it.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I want to get a big pink bear for my daughter when she is born. My wife suggested I get her a build-a-bear because we can put our own voice into one of those voice boxes and stuff it in the hand ourselves.

I find those comments funny, that dude was mad because his wife apparently drove 100 MILES after work to save a few bucks on a bear. That would cost a fair bit of money in gas and wear and tear, not to mention the time requirement. For a damn bear!

My wife and I were our for Canada Day celebrations here on the 1st. There was a truck giving away a free small Tim's coffee, with a line cued around the block. She said "oh I want a coffee, lets get in line". I just about exploded at her about valuing her time, and then she started laughing at me. She gets it.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
People on Facebook in my area said that the lines were 12+ hours long and people were being turned away. This is seriously book-worthy material if MJ ever needed it for his third book. People spending an entire day to save money on a stuffed teddy bear is comedic gold.

Paleo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
I wouldn't say it "backfired" on Build a Bear- the value of the publicity was worth many times the lost revenue on the cheap bears. I suspect they anticipated this might happen and were hoping it would happen for the media attention. The message is that their product is so desirable people are willing to stand in line all day and maybe even fight over it. What company wouldn't want that impression?

It constantly amazes me though, how little value most people place on their time. TV, sports, video games, social media- think about all the things even the average person could do with that wasted time- make money, learn skills for profit or just for fun and self improvement, get fit, read great books, cultivate their tastes- but sadly, we all know they never will.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
I'm so glad someone posted about this! The publicity that BAB has had probably outweighs the negative. I was on FB reading some of the comments while in line today and I noticed this one.

Way to take advantage of the situation! Screenshot_2018-07-12-18-21-24.png

I should add this was one of the top comments with over a thousand likes and comments!

Last edited:

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
I'm so glad someone posted about this! The publicity that BAB has had probably outweighs the negative. I was on FB reading some of the comments while in line today and I noticed this one.

Way to take advantage of the situation! View attachment 20136

This is awesome. Hey, if people are willing to waste 8 hours to get a discounted teddy bear, who knows? This might actually work...

NaPal

Done > Perfect
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 16, 2012
USA
Massive win for build a bear.

Do you know how many kids waited in line and didn’t get one? YES it’s true! Those kids will be back next week paying full price!

Oh wait, I heard they gave out $15 off coupons! An even bigger win! The kids and adults have a reason to come back! So they’re only making 1900% instead of 2000% .

How do I know this? Because I’ll most definitely be good g to build a bear next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NaPal

Done > Perfect
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 16, 2012
USA
Amazing how the common citizen places no value on their time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.