The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Brutally honest feedback on my progress on business, fitness, contribution and mental health goals

A post of a ranting nature...

Claude Roy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Apr 11, 2017
St. Petersburg, FL
Hey Guys,

I've been on my entrepreneur journey for 2 years almost, I moved to Florida from Quebec to focus on my business and getting my journey started. I have been action faking as F*ck if I’m totally honest with myself. I've made some massive progress on fitness, mental health and contribution goals that I'm so proud of tough but let me start with the bad and true mediocre shit.

I’ve set a goal which I consider being the most important goal to me which was to make $5 000 in my business before the 2019 Fastlane’s Summit. I am honestly not taking enough action at all and I’m probably only making $100 a month on a prior business that I’ve done and that is where the mediocrity really is. I have truly no excuse at all, my full-time job doesn’t require much time at all and I could technically work on my business at work since nobody would know and I can deliver the results in a short amount of time as I am a great software developer. I hate my job though and I see old people there and tell myself that if I keep on doing what I’m doing, that’s exactly where I’ll end up, being miserable and looking forward to Fridays every single F*cking week and that is really pathetic. Right now, I don’t even have a clear business, I only know that I’m committed to eCommerce. I’m always looking for products to sell only and I have a lot of ideas, but I’m too scared to put them into action and don’t have enough faith that I’m going to succeed or I don’t know what it is, but I’m stuck at the product research phase to be totally honest and I’ve spent way too much time doing that and I’m really not proud of that.

I thought of doing some consulting in software because I’ve seen other people on this forum do it and if I could do that and invest my cash into my e-commerce, I wouldn’t have to waste time at my job working for someone else’s dream while not learning much but I’m too indecisive and I don’t want to do some shiny syndrome shit. I think that I must be not miserable enough at my job to take enough action to change things. I recently started to play some video games instead of working on my business or working on my other goals. I have truly no excuse at all to not do my best towards my goals because I know that it would be 1000 more beneficial on the long term if I would work on my business and then I could contribute more to the cause I care about and spend more quality time doing something that I truly care about.

Now on with the good stuff (mental health, fitness and contribution goals). I discovered David Goggins last year when I was in the middle of a depression, feeling lonely as F*ck and beating myself up because I did not have any reason to feel this way, I was healthy, have a 80k year job, great relationship with my family, so there was nothing bad happening outside of myself to me. I felt like I should feel successful because I decided to move to focus on my business but yet I didn't feel the way that I expected to and MJ’s journey inspired me so much, how he felt so driven when he moved, I expected to feel that way, but I didn’t. I was expecting to feel I was not making much progress on my business, I was not making more than $200 a month, I was escaping reality in some stupid video game believe it or not and emotionally binge eating. When I discovered Goggins though, I was swimming one day with my dad when he came from Quebec to visit me because he thought that I might commit suicide from the way I was talking to him and I was out of breath swimming not even 10 meters. At that point, I F*cking challenged myself to the extreme and signed up for a Half Ironman triathlon without ANY previous tri experience. I haven’t ridden a bike in 12-13 years at that point, but I knew that physical exercise made me feel better so if I would force myself to do that, I would probably get happier and so proud about myself. It was difficult, sometimes I would go back down and binge more and feel like there’s no way I could do it and no F*cking reason to do it in the beginning, it was only my ego, I was telling myself.

So, I’m proud to say that 7 months later, as expected, I F*cking did it and I was so proud of myself. With that goal, I set myself a contribution goal to raise $5000 for The Humane League which is a non-profit that does work for farm animals. I did all my research to pick the charity that would do the most good for my money and I chose them. They do great work in exposing factory farming cruel practices and helping people to lean more towards plant-based diets. This is the main reason to why I want to get rich, I want to contribute to this cause so I was really happy that I was able to accomplish that goal and raised actually $7000 for them.

Doing triathlons helped my mental health so much and I’m now training for another 70.3 in April and a full Ironman in Panama City Beach, FL on November 2. I never thought that I could do that, but when I took Goggins mentality and forced my way through it, I F*cking did it and realized how much I was underestimating myself. I thought that Ironmans were super badasses with no fears and insecurities. When I met them through FB groups and in my event, I saw that that could not be further from the truth and my belief about that was my only limitation to making myself an Ironman as well. They all have their fears and insecurities and are far from the image that I had in mind. I learned that I always underestimated myself and overestimated others. It also helped me so much to build discipline because I actually don't like running, swimming or cycling at all but when I force myself to do those things, I always feel good about myself and it becomes easier and easier to do. I love when I really don't feel like training but I still do, that helps to build discipline even more.

I’m so proud to say that I’m over my depression and I can’t stress how much physical activity helps and I’m actually grateful that now I understand how it feels to be depressed because I can help support others that feel this way better. I never had any depression before that and I always would think “just F*cking snap out of it” but I underestimated so much how actually horrible it feels and how hard it can be to get out of it so now I have a better perspective on it.

Actions that I’m going to take tonight: Uninstall my video game and set a timeline (I have 2 weeks in mind) for me to pick and product and F*cking go with it instead of always questioning if it’s going to work or not and start working at it like someone who’s serious about it.

Hope you all have an outstanding day,

Claude

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Hey Guys,

I've been on my entrepreneur journey for 2 years almost, I moved to Florida from Quebec to focus on my business and getting my journey started. I have been action faking as F*ck if I’m totally honest with myself. I've made some massive progress on fitness, mental health and contribution goals that I'm so proud of tough but let me start with the bad and true mediocre shit.

I’ve set a goal which I consider being the most important goal to me which was to make $5 000 in my business before the 2019 Fastlane’s Summit. I am honestly not taking enough action at all and I’m probably only making $100 a month on a prior business that I’ve done and that is where the mediocrity really is. I have truly no excuse at all, my full-time job doesn’t require much time at all and I could technically work on my business at work since nobody would know and I can deliver the results in a short amount of time as I am a great software developer. I hate my job though and I see old people there and tell myself that if I keep on doing what I’m doing, that’s exactly where I’ll end up, being miserable and looking forward to Fridays every single F*cking week and that is really pathetic. Right now, I don’t even have a clear business, I only know that I’m committed to eCommerce. I’m always looking for products to sell only and I have a lot of ideas, but I’m too scared to put them into action and don’t have enough faith that I’m going to succeed or I don’t know what it is, but I’m stuck at the product research phase to be totally honest and I’ve spent way too much time doing that and I’m really not proud of that.

I thought of doing some consulting in software because I’ve seen other people on this forum do it and if I could do that and invest my cash into my e-commerce, I wouldn’t have to waste time at my job working for someone else’s dream while not learning much but I’m too indecisive and I don’t want to do some shiny syndrome shit. I think that I must be not miserable enough at my job to take enough action to change things. I recently started to play some video games instead of working on my business or working on my other goals. I have truly no excuse at all to not do my best towards my goals because I know that it would be 1000 more beneficial on the long term if I would work on my business and then I could contribute more to the cause I care about and spend more quality time doing something that I truly care about.

Now on with the good stuff (mental health, fitness and contribution goals). I discovered David Goggins last year when I was in the middle of a depression, feeling lonely as F*ck and beating myself up because I did not have any reason to feel this way, I was healthy, have a 80k year job, great relationship with my family, so there was nothing bad happening outside of myself to me. I felt like I should feel successful because I decided to move to focus on my business but yet I didn't feel the way that I expected to and MJ’s journey inspired me so much, how he felt so driven when he moved, I expected to feel that way, but I didn’t. I was expecting to feel I was not making much progress on my business, I was not making more than $200 a month, I was escaping reality in some stupid video game believe it or not and emotionally binge eating. When I discovered Goggins though, I was swimming one day with my dad when he came from Quebec to visit me because he thought that I might commit suicide from the way I was talking to him and I was out of breath swimming not even 10 meters. At that point, I F*cking challenged myself to the extreme and signed up for a Half Ironman triathlon without ANY previous tri experience. I haven’t ridden a bike in 12-13 years at that point, but I knew that physical exercise made me feel better so if I would force myself to do that, I would probably get happier and so proud about myself. It was difficult, sometimes I would go back down and binge more and feel like there’s no way I could do it and no F*cking reason to do it in the beginning, it was only my ego, I was telling myself.

So, I’m proud to say that 7 months later, as expected, I F*cking did it and I was so proud of myself. With that goal, I set myself a contribution goal to raise $5000 for The Humane League which is a non-profit that does work for farm animals. I did all my research to pick the charity that would do the most good for my money and I chose them. They do great work in exposing factory farming cruel practices and helping people to lean more towards plant-based diets. This is the main reason to why I want to get rich, I want to contribute to this cause so I was really happy that I was able to accomplish that goal and raised actually $7000 for them.

Doing triathlons helped my mental health so much and I’m now training for another 70.3 in April and a full Ironman in Panama City Beach, FL on November 2. I never thought that I could do that, but when I took Goggins mentality and forced my way through it, I F*cking did it and realized how much I was underestimating myself. I thought that Ironmans were super badasses with no fears and insecurities. When I met them through FB groups and in my event, I saw that that could not be further from the truth and my belief about that was my only limitation to making myself an Ironman as well. They all have their fears and insecurities and are far from the image that I had in mind. I learned that I always underestimated myself and overestimated others. It also helped me so much to build discipline because I actually don't like running, swimming or cycling at all but when I force myself to do those things, I always feel good about myself and it becomes easier and easier to do. I love when I really don't feel like training but I still do, that helps to build discipline even more.

I’m so proud to say that I’m over my depression and I can’t stress how much physical activity helps and I’m actually grateful that now I understand how it feels to be depressed because I can help support others that feel this way better. I never had any depression before that and I always would think “just F*cking snap out of it” but I underestimated so much how actually horrible it feels and how hard it can be to get out of it so now I have a better perspective on it.

Actions that I’m going to take tonight: Uninstall my video game and set a timeline (I have 2 weeks in mind) for me to pick and product and F*cking go with it instead of always questioning if it’s going to work or not and start working at it like someone who’s serious about it.

Claude

Uve got ur family and ur health, and only missing financial freedom. Even in that regard u got a relatively high paying easy 80k job.

That's still 2/3++ of what matters.

Ur ok man, keep at it, and cherish wat u already got.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
First off, congratulations on finishing the Half Ironman. Not too many people can say they've done this, and the fact that you overcame your own self-doubt is awesome.

I like that you've recognized these debilitating thoughts within yourself. That is the first step into taking action to change the circumstances. Well done in that regard as well.

Coming from somebody who has had these same thoughts/feelings, I understand where you're coming from. I was in a pretty similar situation: depressed, working in tech, making $80k+ and wondering if I'll ever get out of the rat race. Now, I try to make progress every single day towards growing my business.

In any case, you've already done the hard part of recognizing what you'd like to change. Now, you just have to take the leap of faith and make the change(s). And as luniac said, appreciate what you have in your life already - it helps foster an abundance mentality.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Feb 11, 2019
Hey Guys,

Claude

I'm glad that the story turned into a very positive one. I was reading this and it felt "known". I could relate. In the past I was also heavily struggling with depression, but luckily I managed to get myself back on track. Few months ago I started the same thing - training for triathlon. That is definitely the number one thing that fuels me and keeps my mental health on check. I'm happy to hear your progress and wish you to continue crushing it - in fitness, health, finances.
Regarding your fastlane journey. I see "getting there" is pretty much the same as finishing the IronMan. Yes, you need to train. Yes, it takes discipline, real effort, time, dedication, sacrifices and so much more. But. If you keep going, eventually you will get there.
You say that you are looking for products for ecommerce. Now let's turn this in a different light.
Imagine launching your store as doing the race.
You can't just launch it and start piling cash. Same way as you can't just do Ironman anytime.
So you prepare - you train and you learn. But. At some point.. You are ready. You have to do it!
Treat this the same as race (works for me). Set a date for race day (for launch of store). Don't set it too far, but give enough time to figure it out and prepare - find the source for products or create them, have ready website, have first marketing campaign idea done and simply - GO!
It's scary, it's thrilling, it's also not the smoothest road, but it's do-able. It's definitely do-able.
I got carried away a bit, but yeah, accept the unknown, accept the challenge, commit and go!
P.S. Did you believed since the day 1 that you are going to finish this race and never doubted it? I would assume not, but guess what! You did it!
P.P.S. Love the non-profit project. Fantastic!

Claude Roy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Apr 11, 2017
St. Petersburg, FL
Uve got ur family and ur health, and only missing financial freedom. Even in that regard u got a relatively high paying easy 80k job.

That's still 2/3++ of what matters.

Ur ok man, keep at it, and cherish wat u already got.

That is so true man, I love that. I'm definitely keeping that in mind :)

Claude Roy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Apr 11, 2017
St. Petersburg, FL
First off, congratulations on finishing the Half Ironman. Not too many people can say they've done this, and the fact that you overcame your own self-doubt is awesome.

I like that you've recognized these debilitating thoughts within yourself. That is the first step into taking action to change the circumstances. Well done in that regard as well.

Coming from somebody who has had these same thoughts/feelings, I understand where you're coming from. I was in a pretty similar situation: depressed, working in tech, making $80k+ and wondering if I'll ever get out of the rat race. Now, I try to make progress every single day towards growing my business.

In any case, you've already done the hard part of recognizing what you'd like to change. Now, you just have to take the leap of faith and make the change(s). And as luniac said, appreciate what you have in your life already - it helps foster an abundance mentality.

Thanks man, I really really appreciate the kind words and the time you took there. I have faith that we'll get there, keep pushing my man :)

Claude Roy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Apr 11, 2017
St. Petersburg, FL
I'm glad that the story turned into a very positive one. I was reading this and it felt "known". I could relate. In the past I was also heavily struggling with depression, but luckily I managed to get myself back on track. Few months ago I started the same thing - training for triathlon. That is definitely the number one thing that fuels me and keeps my mental health on check. I'm happy to hear your progress and wish you to continue crushing it - in fitness, health, finances.
Regarding your fastlane journey. I see "getting there" is pretty much the same as finishing the IronMan. Yes, you need to train. Yes, it takes discipline, real effort, time, dedication, sacrifices and so much more. But. If you keep going, eventually you will get there.
You say that you are looking for products for ecommerce. Now let's turn this in a different light.
Imagine launching your store as doing the race.
You can't just launch it and start piling cash. Same way as you can't just do Ironman anytime.
So you prepare - you train and you learn. But. At some point.. You are ready. You have to do it!
Treat this the same as race (works for me). Set a date for race day (for launch of store). Don't set it too far, but give enough time to figure it out and prepare - find the source for products or create them, have ready website, have first marketing campaign idea done and simply - GO!
It's scary, it's thrilling, it's also not the smoothest road, but it's do-able. It's definitely do-able.
I got carried away a bit, but yeah, accept the unknown, accept the challenge, commit and go!
P.S. Did you believed since the day 1 that you are going to finish this race and never doubted it? I would assume not, but guess what! You did it!
P.P.S. Love the non-profit project. Fantastic!

I really love that reply man, thank you so much and that's a big part to why I train for these triathlons as well, to keep my mindset up and forcing myself to do stuff that I don't want to do and seeing the progress in the long term. When I train, I'm emboding that person who does those hard things and I now have to carry that in business as well. I actually set a timeline for myself so I'm going to do exactly what you just said and you're totally right that I doubted myself so many times and the road was definitely not smooth at all and I sometimes thought I had no chance in doing it. Now, having done the half Ironman, I am so much more confident that I can do the full and I think that getting some results in business must feel the same way like it validates that this thing really does work. Thanks for all the kind words man, I really appreciate it :)

Ronda-Grace D

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 18, 2019
Hey Guys,

Claude
You are a SUPER DUPER SUPER STAR!!!!!!
Congrats!!!!! Keep on pressing on!!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content