The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Breaking past my fears through flipping electronics

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Rossoneri

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 13, 2020
Virginia
Hey guys, this is my first progress thread.
I'm an 18 year old who's been action faking after my previous failure.
I am simply flipping iPhones and I made this thread for accountability.

"But flipping iPhones sounds too easy and too saturated!" Let me explain.

One day, I sold my old iPhone for around $80 profit, just for some extra cash. I then looked through some side hustle threads after being inspired by even the lowest off chance that this could be a valid idea.

It sounded like a good side hustle but I needed cash to turnover quickly, I don't want to risk having inventory lying around for days on end while waiting for a buyer to flip. So then I got some ideas after researching more into the topic. I then got into contact with direct buyers, companies who are buying phones/macbooks/ipads/etc in various conditions for near market value, and will pay up-front so I can turnover cash into acquiring more product. They also have a pricing sheet so I can quickly appraise and shoot out offers. This allows me to focus on marketing and sales, as I assume need to generate a lot of leads and make a lot of offers to make this work.

I'm definitely not the first one to think of this idea, but it seems like a solid plan.

Acquisition of phones locally (FB marketplace, Craigslist, Offerup - Reaching out and lowballing, posting free ads, yard sale groups) -> Disposition to direct buyers --> Use capital that is being recycled to scale, possibly reaching out to businesses like hotels/nightclubs and see if I can access and buy their lost and found phones for pennies on the dollar?

Oct 27
I have already made 15 offers on marketplace, posted a marketplace ad, and post an ad into 3 buy/sell groups. I will send out 20-30 more offers in the evening.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rossoneri

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 13, 2020
Virginia
Was planning to post on a weekly schedule but today is my first day, so I'll post today so I'll remember this in the future. I ended up with 1 lead closed, where I'll profit $75, not bad. I almost closed a lead before that would've netted me $135, but unfortunately someone swooped in from another app at the last minute right when I was about to meet him. Extremely disappointing...

One guy responded to my ad had a phone I would've had to post on eBay since it was damaged, accounting for fees and shipping, I would've netting around $60-70.

All in all, I spent two hours, so would net around $67 an hour. Compared to my job at five guys where I had to work my a$$ off for $13.50, I'll take it.

A lesson that I learned is to account for sellers backing out at even the very last moment. Don't get too excited and expect this.

Rossoneri

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 13, 2020
Virginia
Have you ever thought about buying damaged electronics to repair.

Yes, was thinking about getting lower priced devices to work on after seeing a video. Devices that are unlocked and that need minimal repairs (cracked screen, bad LCD, etc.) I might work on and flip straight to the community on marketplace.

Another short update. I made a mistake. Lead that I closed yesterday baited me and I improperly checked the carrier status and memory. Looks like I'm breaking even on that one. I closed one deal today that will net me around $40 to direct buyer, but possibly $100+ on eBay. I'm thinking about which one I will disposition too. Day ends with $40 profit.

Damaged iPhone posted on eBay, we'll see how that goes.

Also really important note. I got into contact with a big time electronic flipper in Florida who can do lead generation for me, 70/30 split (70 to me), and I don't pay for any of the ads (FB ads). It seems like a win-win, I only pay for the phones when the leads are closed when I appraise and handle dispositions. Also is sort of a mentor to me after we talked for a bit about business. Could lead to an extra 1-2 phones closed a day.

Last edited:

DONTRAY

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Aug 8, 2019
Pennsylvania
Damaged phones are valuable on eBay. Especially with the phone screens being expensive and harder to repair yourself. The sold price depends on how badly damaged the device is. A iPhone 11 with a cracked screen will still sell. Damaged phones are tricky when it comes to negotiating a price if you’re going to repair it because the price of the parts to fix it comes into play.

Rossoneri

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 13, 2020
Virginia
Weekly update:

I sent out my first shipments. Three phones to my direct buyer which net me $200, one phone that net $20 via FB marketplace, and then a iCloud locked phone for $30 on eBay. Around $250 profit my first week. My goal was $500, but I learned a ton of stuff.

- Get better at negotiating and be firm in your offer. There is always a next deal. I should've gotten more margin.
- I overestimated how quick I was going to turn over capital. My direct buyer did not trust me since I was a random guy who was going to send phones in their eyes, so they made me send it up front. I don't mind since I've built trust and have talked to a representative since then. I can use the invoice method now, but it is something that I didn't account for. Turning around capital is the name of the game.
- Make sure you check the phones correctly. Was lazy and trusted the seller's word for some reason, and I ended up with a carrier locked phone which is worth way less to a direct buyer right now. I quickly resold it back on marketplace to get at least a little out of it.
- Took me a lot more time than I thought for negotiating and reaching out. Scaling to FB ads and making connections in order to create repeat customers should be my top priority.

Attachments

• 336ED638-E649-4630-86D7-BFD89D6BF823.jpeg
    336ED638-E649-4630-86D7-BFD89D6BF823.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 2
  • B9F6E432-5635-4F90-A3AB-08F86BD750CA.jpeg
    B9F6E432-5635-4F90-A3AB-08F86BD750CA.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

DONTRAY

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Aug 8, 2019
Pennsylvania
Weekly update:

I sent out my first shipments. Three phones to my direct buyer which net me $200, one phone that net $20 via FB marketplace, and then a iCloud locked phone for $30 on eBay. Around $250 profit my first week. My goal was $500, but I learned a ton of stuff.

Great.

- Make sure you check the phones correctly. Was lazy and trusted the seller's word for some reason, and I ended up with a carrier locked phone which is worth way less to a direct buyer right now. I quickly resold it back on marketplace to get at least a little out of it.

Also make sure to check the camera, speakers, make a phone call, if it’s an older phone make sure to check the headphone jacks, make sure the charging port isn’t damaged, connect the phone to a charger, and much more. Act as is you’re buying it for yourself. Good job.

Marpen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 23, 2022
Great.

Also make sure to check the camera, speakers, make a phone call, if it’s an older phone make sure to check the headphone jacks, make sure the charging port isn’t damaged, connect the phone to a charger, and much more. Act as is you’re buying it for yourself. Good job.
That last part! I got all my money back from Ebay when I bought a phone as the charge port didnt work. The seller never checked it (admit it in an email) and said since he didnt list a working charge port in the description, that he wouldn't refund. The price I paid would have been for a functioning phone. Ebay sided with me and didnt even have me send the phone back (I did offer but the seller never responded after Ebay sided with me).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.