The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

BIG Opportunity...Not sure how to get started. Please help!

Marketing, social media, advertising

Bud Fox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Dec 16, 2015
If the country doesn’t have an MLS already, or Zillow isn’t a thing there, then maybe there’s a reason for that; ie. There is no need.

While I don’t mean to be dismissive of your ‘idea,’ but I’ve been in real estate for many years and when I hear someone say they haven’t heard of Zillow but that they want to make a site that’s identical, it shows a serious lack of crucial knowledge to be successful in the field, even if the plan is to just be a listing website...

You’ve not created this website yet, have no funds to visit this country in which you plan to operate, and have minimal experience in the industry that you plan to service...hate to be so blunt, but you need to seriously rethink this one...or at least get a more clear plan together in addition to a lot more research.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
If the country doesn’t have an MLS already, or Zillow isn’t a thing there, then maybe there’s a reason for that; ie. There is no need.

While I don’t mean to be dismissive of your ‘idea,’ but I’ve been in real estate for many years and when I hear someone say they haven’t heard of Zillow but that they want to make a site that’s identical, it shows a serious lack of crucial knowledge to be successful in the field, even if the plan is to just be a listing website...

You’ve not created this website yet, have no funds to visit this country in which you plan to operate, and have minimal experience in the industry that you plan to service...hate to be so blunt, but you need to seriously rethink this one...or at least get a more clear plan together in addition to a lot more research.

Thanks for your analysis Bud Fox. I'll take into consideration what you're saying by listing the critical assumptions I'm making then testing them. Any recommendation on resources for learning what I need to?

Bud Fox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Dec 16, 2015
Thanks for your analysis Bud Fox. I'll take into consideration what you're saying by listing the critical assumptions I'm making then testing them. Any recommendation on resources for learning what I need to?

I mean...shit....

you’re talking about running a listing website, essentially a database, right? Do you have any experience with database development or management? What are the different platforms and programs that you’re exploring?

do you have any contacts that fit the profile of the actual customer who would be paying for this service? Have you talked with them at all about this idea and what might compel them to pay for a service like this?

this country that supposedly doesn’t have a service like this (unlikely or it doesn’t need it) - but how many listings are there on a given day, week, month? How are deals placed now? What’s the process? Are there advertising laws or a governing body for the same?

my man (or woman) if you’ve never heard of Zillow and this is your idea to make money...I’m not trying to be a jerk..but find another idea...there’s a LOT to making this one work...a LOT.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Despite @Bud Fox giving you harsh (but somewhat correct) posts, there's another option: use open source script or paid online service.

This way you avoid developing (and learning) from scratch and you would have real world example of demand (or lack of it) in the area.

That's the consensus on this forum among more experienced people- to test before building (or investing more time in project).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.