The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best Way To Monetize the Full-Time RV Niche

AnAverageJoe

remember that you will die
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
Hey guys. So in about a month, my family and I are going to live in an RV (travel trailer specifically) and travel the country. We plan on traveling for about a year until we find the state/town we want to settle down in. We've already started an Instagram account, and I'm in the process of building a webpage, but I was wondering what the best way would be to monetize this niche.

We could do the typical stuff like start the niche site, start an Amazon associates page, try to monetize Instagram, sell info products about living in an RV with a family, etc., upload content to YouTube, and the like, but am I missing something? Are there new/more creative ways to monetize something like this, or am I over complicating it and should I just stick with the tried and true?

During the year we are on the road, I will pay close attention to the struggles/problems we have and see if there is a way I can solve those problems for us and everyone else.

Anyway, thanks guys, I appreciate you reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Why not just vlog/blog your exact purpose?

Review every RV park you visit, review every city, every state. Explain your reasoning for the RV journey, and why you ultimately settled on the city you pick. You can even go into your decision making process and the details ... nature, taxes, city life, entertainment, etc.

The first video could set the stage ... "We're moving across the country, but we have no idea WHERE!"

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hey guys. So in about a month, my family and I are going to live in an RV (travel trailer specifically) and travel the country. We plan on traveling for about a year until we find the state/town we want to settle down in. We've already started an Instagram account, and I'm in the process of building a webpage, but I was wondering what the best way would be to monetize this niche.

We could do the typical stuff like start the niche site, start an Amazon associates page, try to monetize Instagram, sell info products about living in an RV with a family, etc., upload content to YouTube, and the like, but am I missing something? Are there new/more creative ways to monetize something like this, or am I over complicating it and should I just stick with the tried and true?

During the year we are on the road, I will pay close attention to the struggles/problems we have and see if there is a way I can solve those problems for us and everyone else.

Anyway, thanks guys, I appreciate you reading.

Like MJ said, a vlog/ influencer/ youtube channel type of arrangement.

I'd be interested in learning about battery setups, solar, and all of the off the grid stuff... So if you get detailed as you get farther into it that will provide value to newbies like me.

I'm sure there is a lot of that kind of stuff already out there though.

Here is another angle... What if you got sponsored by some manufacturer... Winnebago or something and they lent you a class C... Call around until someone takes the bait. Maybe even contact the Discovery channel or NatGeo too...

Then take a trip from the northernmost point in Canada all the way to the southernmost tip of Argentina.

Now that would be a fun adventure to watch.

It needs some kind of twist though that makes it just one notch better.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Here is another angle... What if you got sponsored by some manufacturer... Winnebago or something and they lent you a class C... Call around until someone takes the bait. Maybe even contact the Discovery channel or NatGeo too...
I thought about that, too.
A racing buddy, who has decent success at hobby racing has a promotion camper he never could afford.
But dont be annoying with too many posts anywhere, which are only for advertising!
If interestit on the brandof the camper or his name send a pm!

AnAverageJoe

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
Why not just vlog/blog your exact purpose?

Review every RV park you visit, review every city, every state. Explain your reasoning for the RV journey, and why you ultimately settled on the city you pick. You can even go into your decision making process and the details ... nature, taxes, city life, entertainment, etc.

This is our plan right now. We've already made our intro post, put up a few before and after pictures of some work we've done to the rig and that sort of thing. We'll definitely go all-in on this once we start traveling full time. We'll also do some product reviews and that sort of thing too.

I was wondering what we could use to differentiate ourselves from everyone, and it never clicked in my head that we are actually reviewing states and cities to move our family to, as well as the parks and everything. That might be what separates us from the crowd.

A racing buddy, who has decent success at hobby racing has a promotion camper he never could afford.
But dont be annoying with too many posts anywhere, which are only for advertising!
If interestit on the brandof the camper or his name send a pm!
I never even thought to get sponsored. I wish I had before we bought our rig. I'll keep that in mind if we're ever in a position where we need a new trailer because a big part of our content now is how we're fixing up/personalizing a used trailer.

The Discovery Channel idea sounds pretty cool, I'm just worried they'd take over and start scripting our lives.

Thanks guys.

D

Deleted78083

Journal every day to write a book about the whole experience at the end.

Take pictures and put them on Shutterstock.

Create a course/ebook for people that would like to do the same.

FURTHERMORE: Pay attention to pain point when you will be traveling. There must be things the designers did not think about for long-term, and you will be able to find that out, fix it, and drive the fastlane.

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA
What an adventure! Excited for you @AnAverageJoe!

I wholeheartedly agree with laying out your purpose and reviewing the places you stay!

@MJ DeMarco and @Kak could absolutely have not said it better!!

RV is a step away from it all.

Camping or road tripping for a shorter time in an RV are quite different than an extended stay and pulling it around the country.

The most wear on an RV/camper/travel trailer comes from the actual travel, not so much the living in it. Check lists and being diligent with the take down and set-up will save you many headaches!

You can easily go off grid, get a feel for places in a completely different sense than a hotel or airbnb, and get the hell outta there as soon as you ever need.

My hubby is the one with all of the skill in choosing a model, set up, maintenance, and the receiving end of my wide-eyed looks when I have no idea wtf is going on. That happens.. way more than in a house and I'm not really a delicate flower. I will absolutely help in any project and have a rock solid stomach .. it's just a new closeness to a relationship when you legitimately don't have water and no way of getting it back besides trying to haul it from a public source... for an undetermined amount of time.

Do you have a plan for the winter? The bitter cold, wind, snow, ice... I would imagine you might not plan to see any of that :)

If you do want a cold winter, it's beautiful! I love winter in general. It just takes way more consistent motion...literally keep the heat, water, and all other tanks moving.

My hubby's first question is what are you planning to pull with?

AnAverageJoe

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
Take photos and videos, give most of them away royalty free, but keep the best for licensing, like she does:

Journal every day to write a book about the whole experience at the end.

Take pictures and put them on Shutterstock.

Create a course/ebook for people that would like to do the same.

FURTHERMORE: Pay attention to pain point when you will be traveling. There must be things the designers did not think about for long-term, and you will be able to find that out, fix it, and drive the fastlane.

These are all great ideas. I'm already a journaler, so I am definitely going to keep a detailed journal of everyday on the road. We're going to aim to do semi-regular vlogs as well to help chronicle the experience. I didn't think of shutterstock, but we will definitely do that as well.

Finding the pain points of living in an RV full time is what I'm most excited about. There must be countless things that can be invented or improved to make the lifestyle easier.

What an adventure! Excited for you @AnAverageJoe!

Do you have a plan for the winter? The bitter cold, wind, snow, ice... I would imagine you might not plan to see any of that :)

If you do want a cold winter, it's beautiful! I love winter in general. It just takes way more consistent motion...literally keep the heat, water, and all other tanks moving.

My hubby's first question is what are you planning to pull with?

Thanks for your enthusiasm! We do not like the winter, haha. We live in the South, and our first trip in January is a few hours further south haha. If we see any snow, something has gone terribly wrong.

We bought an older model Silverado 2500 to lug the thing around.

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA
We bought an older model Silverado 2500 to lug the thing around.
Is it an older 454 or a 6.0 or 8.1?

Sounds like staying in lower elevations?

Quite a few pain points for living full time. Space conserving, light weight, noise, electrical power/generators, indoor temp control, wifi, everything to do with water and hot water (could have on hand a spare thermostat, water pump, and anodes + spare blower fan for furnace), and one of my initial concerns was laundry. Have a full size washer and dryer in this one as not moving around : )

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
There's lots of great YouTube channels around this that I've been following for some time, but I haven't come across one from a family, so I'm imagining there's an interesting niche there.

Most of the one's I watched were around building them and also a bit of travel. Jarrod Tocci, Eamon and Bec and so on. Will Prowse was good for learning solar and battery.

Aeuk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 5, 2020
I remember reading about Vanly (Airbnb for RV parking space). Perhaps you can arrange a sponsorship deal.

You could color your RV in eye-catching colors, and name it, as part of branding. Then you could create an itinerary, ex: "the big red RV will be in CITY between these DATES". Though not an RV, something like this comes to mind, and the construction of it: part one of ten. I'm sorry that I'm not aware of a tamer example. Tl;dr: build a brand.

Attempt to discover "hidden gems" and share them with your followers.

Use drones to get "eye in the sky" footage of your travels.

Write an educational kid's book.

Keep a personal travel log/journal. Perhaps you will identify a recursive pain point worth solving.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.