The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best business advice you've ever received

Nathan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 18, 2008
Denver, CO
Searched and didn't see a post like it. So what's the best business advice you've ever been told? To me they're sayings that go through your head when you're dealing or trying to decide something. They may mean something else to you.

One I learned first hand from a place I worked at years ago, and it's old and cliche, but it's true as can be. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Goes along with, you can't ride the gravy train forever. In this case, it was, have more than one customer. Just because your customer is a government contract, doesn't mean they can't go with someone else when the contract ends. Government contract doesn't mean automatic renewal.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
1. Get organized.
2. Hire for attitude, train for aptitude.
3. Don't try to learn everything, hire it out to experts (taxes, etc.)
4. Think big.
5. Aim for having an "E" business (instead of an"S".)
6. There will never be any good deal/situation that comes when working with a bad partner.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
There's a fool at every negotiating table...if you can't see them, it's you.

that's funny.

1. don't do anything immoral
2. don't do anything unethical
3. keep good records
4. make more money then you spend

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Best advice: I have had many. One of the better ones is "Listen to your own voice first".

Meaning: If you don't believe in something, then to hell with it. If you really believe in something, then to hell with the cynics:).

You live here one earth one time and maybe only this one time, then are you going to tell me that you will lick others asses all that time and waste valuable time actually changing (revolutionizing) the world? Most of you wouldn't waste that time and that is why I am still here on this forum.

Look at Arnold Schwarzenegger, he is a role model in that regard. One of his mottos is to conquer the world. See what he has accomplished so far (he is governor for Christ Sakes). He was a great winner in body building. He is worth something like $200 million+. He started from the bottom and moved to the USA and conquered it in both wealth, movies, looks and in politics.

Many people make fun of him and even openly despise the guy, but I would rather choose to be him everyday than all of those idiots criticising him. Why? Because he listens to his own voice. He listens to his dreams and do everything he can to conquer those dreams. With our without the actual support. As they say: He is The Terminator;).

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
Two stand out for me:

1. In the military of all places, I told my Chief that I couldn't do what he ordered (it seemed impossible)! Wow, he laid into me! Summarizing this leaving out swear words he said, "I didn't ask you if it could be done, I only asked what you needed to get it done!" Translation for others - "Can't" & "Impossible" are bad words which are said often by pessimists or "Realists."
  2. In my 1st company a very successful Entrepreneur said to me after seeing my office, "That's a really nice desk, who paid for it?" I responded, "I did of course" he said, "who paid you for it?" I said nobody, "return it then" he replied. Translation - Don't buy overindulgent ego gratifying things if you have no customers to pay for them.
I could go on but I will leave it at that.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Not necessarily the best advice, but the most interesting situation where I've received business advice...

A paraphrase of a conversation with Bill Gates and one of my employees after a long, heated debate:

Bill: "That's my recommendation, go do what you think is right..."

Other Guy (jokingly): "Well, you're the one with the money..."

Bill: "If you listen to me just because I have the money, you run the risk of both of us ending up broke."

--------------

Moral: Don't assume that because someone has money that they know more than you...

Second Moral: Don't assume that because you have money, you're always right...

The money is always right!

Mr. Krabbs!

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
There's a fool at every negotiating table...if you can't see them, it's you.

You don't think we should strive towards deals where everyone walks away happy? Why does someone have to be a fool?

JLaw

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 3, 2008
Bay Area | Hong Kong
"go where your heart leads you" - anonymous.

Pretty self explanatory. Do not do something unless you are sure you want to do it. If it goes sour, you are the one to blame, not your friends or family. Listen to the advices and wisdom, but at the end of the day, the decisions should be determined by only one person, yourself.

TOLDUSO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 29, 2008
New Orleans
These can both be applied to many areas of life, not just business:

1. "Empty cans make the most noise."

2. "Do not be afraid of enemies who attack you; be afraid of friends who flatter you."

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I've received this advice from more than one person - - - they just used different words.

Identify your leverage point and focus on it.

In other words.

Ride Your One Trick Pony.

msa1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 27, 2008
West Bloomfield MI
If you want to be successful, find someone that has done what you want to do

and listen.

Dont try to dazzle this person with what you know, if your current knowledge was enough you wouldnt be seeking this person out.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
1. Why not now? (From Andres)
2. You can't learn to ride a bike by only reading a book.
3. Surround yourself with successful people.
4. Work smarter not harder.
5. KISS

czach41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 11, 2007
Denver
"Remember, it's not how many brains you've got that matters. Rather, it's how you use your brains that counts. Manage your brains instead of worrying about how much IQ you've got."
- The Magic of Thinking BIG by David Schwartz

Skiboy

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 4, 2008
Minnesota
I can’t remember where I heard this one but it holds true for me and what I do.
Opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one. Make your decisions.

cantwait2

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
716%
Aug 15, 2007
-
You don't think we should strive towards deals where everyone walks away happy? Why does someone have to be a fool?

Don't take it too literal...

fools don't have to be sad, you can walk away happy and still be a fool :)

werbl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
May 3, 2008
Racine, WI
Back in high school one of my teachers was big on goal setting, planning, and getting it all down on paper. He really drilled it into my head, and basically convinced me that anything is possible when broken down into manageable steps. It's such a simple, powerful skill and I completely take it for granted now, but I'm grateful for the lesson.

TOLDUSO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Nov 29, 2008
New Orleans
You'll find this advice in the most unlikely of places that youll never realize it: The gorgeuous blonde girl that preaches this advice to me on a daily basis as I PSI towards my office, though, has really hit it on spot.

time's flying by,
moving so fast
you better make it count 'cause you cant get it back"

Best wishes again,

BryanC

Banned
Oct 20, 2008
Palm Beach
The best advice I think I ever received is to seek out better advice. haha. I am just now learning how to really build a team so it's definitely a learning curve.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Get a map, a spare and fill up the tank. But don't wait until all the lights are green before going on your trip.

Take your advice from those who are where you want to be, not the guy who never will be.

A monument was never erected to the guy who said "It can't be done"

Sell to the classes, live with the masses; sell to the masses, live with the classes.

People are where they are because of decisions they make. Make good decisions. (Sounds simple, but there are a thousand decisions we make every day. Make them "with the end in mind", beyond the immediate implication of today)

Live you life and run your business in such a way that you will never find yourself looking over your shoulder, or fearful of running into someone in the future.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Love to give credit for this story, but I can't remember where I read it. I'm sure I'm paraphrasing.

Once upon a time there was an old man who owned a large landscaping business. He always seemed to make the right decision. His business grew tremendously fast and he was very wealthy. Every time he was faced with an extremely difficult decision he would open his wallet and pull out a small piece of paper that he wouldn't let anyone else read. After he read it he would make his decision.

Years go by and this small secret piece of paper in his wallet became a legend with his employees. "It must have a special secret written on it, he always does things right!" One day the old man dies. Many of his employees show up to his funeral to mourn his death but they can't help but wonder... They ask the his now widowed wife "Umm.. Excuse me, I know this is kind of odd, but can we read that piece of paper that he had in his wallet?" The wife hands the employees the wallet and they eagerly open it up, they open the folded up piece of paper and it reads...

"When laying sod, place the green side up."

cantwait2

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
716%
Aug 15, 2007
-
Get a map, a spare and fill up the tank. But don't wait until all the lights are green before going on your trip.

Take your advice from those who are where you want to be, not the guy who never will be.

A monument was never erected to the guy who said "It can't be done"

Sell to the classes, live with the masses; sell to the masses, live with the classes.

People are where they are because of decisions they make. Make good decisions. (Sounds simple, but there are a thousand decisions we make every day. Make them "with the end in mind", beyond the immediate implication of today)

Live you life and run your business in such a way that you will never find yourself looking over your shoulder, or fearful of running into someone in the future.

Nice :thumbsup: some real gold in those

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
If you want to be successful, find someone that has done what you want to do

and listen.

Dont try to dazzle this person with what you know, if your current knowledge was enough you wouldnt be seeking this person out.

If I may add to this one: Ask good questions. The quality of your questions determines the quality of your answers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.