The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Beginners Nerves

InformationH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jun 20, 2016
I've been talking with a supplier for a little over a month now and everytime there is an email in my inbox I have a mini panic attack.

My hands get sweaty and my heart races. I avoid opening it for a couple minutes and then when I do I over analyze, and my heart feels like it's going to burst from my chest.

After awhile I get ahold of myself and begin thinking rationally again. I respond after reading my email, at least 5 times, and then click send and my heart raises once again.

It feels like I'm learning to talk to girls all over again.

Did this happen to anyone else in the begining? Besides time what's helped you overcome your nerves?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
I've been talking with a supplier for a little over a month now and everytime there is an email in my inbox I have a mini panic attack.

My hands get sweaty and my heart races. I avoid opening it for a couple minutes and then when I do I over analyze, and my heart feels like it's going to burst from my chest.

After awhile I get ahold of myself and begin thinking rationally again. I respond after reading my email, at least 5 times, and then click send and my heart raises once again.

Did this happen to anyone else in the begining? Besides time what's helped you overcome your nerves?

To be frank with you, that is something that you personally have to learn to cope with. Stress is handled differently in every situation and with different people. If they are contacting you, and every decision you make is thought out very logically and you give them no reason to send you a bad email, there should be nothing to stress about.

- Vito M.

Vectra1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
510%
Jul 20, 2016
Northwest UK

Did this happen to anyone else in the beginning? Besides time what's helped you overcome your nerves?

Dude, chill man, think about it, whats the worse thing that could happen ? Nothing, absolute nothing. What do you think is going to happen that make you feel like that ?, I agree I was somewhat nervous at first , but after a couple of chats, emails, watsaps etc its all good. I love it, Ive never spoken to so many young girl in such a short time, WIN WIN, and hopefully gonna make some money to. Enjoy the experience man, you've done the hard bit by taking the first step.

Good luck

kkompoti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 23, 2016
Greece
I had panic attacks from december till now. also lots of times had severe aches at the chest area which driven me 3-4 times to the emergency room. doctors said i had nothing.. the pain continues when i stress. a heart doctor after 4 visits suggested i try a specific medicine.

not sure if this is the place to give medical advise though.. but that medicine kind of helped.

learn why i had these attacks and pains here:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/my-story-farming-to-the-fast-lane.69162/

Last edited:

InformationH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jun 20, 2016
what's making you nervous?

For me, it was having to be perfect in how I responded. Once I gave that up, I'm much better at not getting stressed out.
^^ Yup that's it. Trying to be perfect

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016
I've never had it that bad, but you need to relax. At the end of the day you're still alive no matter how business is.

Try meditation, I've been using the app Headspace and it's amazing.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
That's bad stress and it won't help you to achieve perfection. It will actually work against you.

1) You should not be working with capital you can't afford to loose. You have to have your living expenses covered.

2) You will screw up. You learn from it and get better. Those lessons are called battle scars and they come with experience.

It's cool to be excited and giddy. Not cool to be so stressed that it looks like a heart attack and affects your well being.

If you can't handle it now, how are you going to handle it when you are doing bigger deals?

You need to listen to @Vigilante 's story. He lost it all and has rebuilt. You need to read about @SteveO who lost it all and has rebuilt.

You will screw up and you will survive. You need to get some perspective.

Good luck.

InformationH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jun 20, 2016
1) You should not be working with capital you can't afford to loose. You have to have your living expenses covered.

No worries there. The nerves I think have to do with mostly it being a new experience and venturing way outside my comfort zone

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
No worries there. The nerves I think have to do with mostly it being a new experience and venturing way outside my comfort zone
Good to hear.

Now you need to learn poker face. Never let them see you sweat. Jog, tennis, weightlifting, work out the energy. You need to practice and control your emotions.

I was very excited when I bought my first investment property. I didn't sleep well for several nights for fear that something would go wrong. Well, stuff has gone wrong over the years and you just learn to handle it. Part of the process.

Late Start

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2015
Uniontown, KS

It's nerve-wracking at first, but if you've done your due diligence and they've got a good rep, once you take action the first time, it gets much easier from there on out.

FrankFKA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 30, 2016

It's part of the process.
When I started my Amazon and eBay business, I had this all the time.
Though I didn't have an issue talking with suppliers, my nerves would go crazy every time I received a message from a buyer, as this would usually mean problems and god forbid, a refund.
I started to accept that you lose money from time to time and that unhappy customers will always be there no matter what you do.
In your situation, ground yourself and understand that if something doesn't go your way, there'll always be chances to do it again or pursue another opportunity.

Late Start

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2015
Uniontown, KS
It's part of the process.
When I started my Amazon and eBay business, I had this all the time.
Though I didn't have an issue talking with suppliers, my nerves would go crazy every time I received a message from a buyer, as this would usually mean problems and god forbid, a refund.
I started to accept that you lose money from time to time and that unhappy customers will always be there no matter what you do.
In your situation, ground yourself and understand that if something doesn't go your way, there'll always be chances to do it again or pursue another opportunity.

THIS.

My Amazon biz has barely been live for a month, and has been doing really well, but when I get that notification on my phone that a message has come through Amazon, my heart sinks every time - "This is it, the first domino that falls and brings the whole thing crashing down before it ever had a chance to truly grow!"

It doesn't help that I've had a spike in refunds over the last two weeks, but my refund rate currently sits at 1.5%, so I'm doing fine. A long-time seller who is mentoring me says you get used to it, but I'm a people pleaser, so I *hate* when people aren't 100% satisfied.

flybynight

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 25, 2008
Denver
I've been talking with a supplier for a little over a month now and every time there is an email in my inbox I have a mini panic attack.

It happened to me in the corporate world after I got promoted to a management position. There was one of many group emails that went out to 30-40 people with daily performance metrics. I had looked at it and thrown my phone in my pocket. Apparently it wasn't locked and I sent out a response that was a bunch of random letters. A few hours later one of the VP's responded responded with"WTF?". I was horrified at first and I did catch some grief from my coworkers for a bit. I however quickly realized that no one cares or has time to worry about such minor things.

At the end of the day performance matters and other stuff is overlooked, as long as you are providing a valuable service or product. Just try to do the best at whatever it is you are doing and a vast majority of people will overlook or not care about any minor mistakes you made.

Last edited:

Natoya Williams

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 19, 2016
Atlanta

I say just be positive .... Positive energy attracts positive vibes .
Some will , some won't , who cares, NEXT!!
A mentor of mine once told me that and it's one of my favorite saying to this day .

Stay awesome and conquer on .

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I say just be positive .... Positive energy attracts positive vibes .
Some will , some won't , who cares, NEXT!!
A mentor of mine once told me that and it's one of my favorite saying to this day .

Stay awesome and conquer on .
that is so true...we get to design our lives, especially as business owners. We decide who we want to spend our time with. Be a good version of yourself (not the best, because that's too stressful), and pursue the people that respond well to who you are.

Harti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jun 28, 2014
Here's the solution to your problem:

When you encounter that feeling the next time, stop doing what you're doing, sit completely still, just stare at the email, and simply be with it.

Can you be with that discomfort without trying to change it?

If you feel this emotion to completion (you know when that happens), then you've freed yourself from it. This can take 5 minutes or 2 hours, depending on how deep it is. Maybe you need more sessions for it.

If you try to manipulate this feeling by thinking "positive" thoughts, mentally distracting yourself / doing something else, or even moving physically, then you're only suppressing and sedating the symptoms.

Feeling fear, anger and grief unconditionally, without acting it out in any way, is the hardest thing in the world. Yet it's the ONLY thing you can do to "stop it".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.