The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Becoming a self-employed copywriter

G

GuestUser112

Don't forget to say about your next decision here when you see there's a ton of musicians around. haha.

The music business is an entirely different kettle of fish. Please keep up the witty comments, your cleverness amuses us all.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser112

Go make a few $$$ then pursue your music. You'll never stop loving it right?

Cars, money, sex, music, traveling, real estate, motorcycles... yeah I love all those things. Doing what you love doesn't always work.
It doesn't mean I'll be doing those things to get rich.
Become agnostic to the market and give it what it NEEDS.
The world doesn't give a damn about what you or I want, only what you can do for the world.

To this I would argue that creating music and all that goes with it (ex: music videos) does meet the Commmandment of Need as the people of the world have made it very clear that they are willing to pay for music they like. Btw the whole Commandment of Need is kind of a blinder. Ex: Who was the person who correctly gauged that there was a need for the Snuggie? It seems to me that a sort of 'illusion of need' was created there through heavy advertising.

Anyway I'll leave you with this: "There's no reason to have a Plan B because it distracts from Plan A" - Will Smith

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Who was the person who correctly gauged that there was a need for the Snuggie?
I doubt you've ever been in a really cold room before. It's terrible. Especially since you have to take your arms out from under the blanket to type or change the channel on the television. Or hug your girlfriend/boyfriend goodbye... Remember pain/discomfort motivate action

Millions of people with the same pain or discomfort = millions in cash if you can fix it.

Read cashvertising.

To this I would argue that creating music and all that goes with it (ex: music videos) does meet the Commmandment of Need as the people of the world have made it very clear that they are willing to pay for music they like.

How many people on youtube are there that are making rap videos? What will set you apart from them? What got Mac discovered? What did the big names do to get discovered?

I don't think you understand the commandments.

Need is very important.

Lil' Wayne filled the need for hardcore rap. After Pac and Biggie died there wasn't anyone talking about drug dealing or any of the "hardcore events". He jumped in and worked his a$$ off. Kids eat his trash up, unfortunately.

To prove that Wayne has a target market, look at his looks from his early days to the time he made the lollypop song.
Gangster to skater/prep

Sidewalk people love the events that rappers talk about. Kind of "living vicariously" if you will.

G

GuestUser112

Oh, maybe I don't understand the ridiculously complex idea of the concept of need.... could you be a doll and please describe exactly what needs each of these artists have filled?

Hopsin
Mac Miller
Justin Bieber
Nikki Minaj
Drake
Avicci
Skrillex
Meek Mill
Kendrick Lemar
Tegan and Sara
U.S.S.
And the list goes on

Music needs cant be filled. People get bored, so there is always room for something new.

You should erase that entire sentence about Pac and Biggie and Lil Wayne btw. Totally false, and hip hop enthusiasts would slap you for talking too much. There is a whole world of hip hop music in between those two events that gets real involved in the hardcore scene.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Let the guy chase his dream. You have told him the statistics of him becoming a famous musician is 1 in a million if he still thinks that's worth going after then let him.

No NEED to kick a dead horse :)

BTW... I'm in the copywriting business; moneysitecontent.com

jtmoniii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Oct 23, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
Alty - I'm curious as to why you chose to shut-down copywriting for construction?

Thanks for all of this information! Very helpful!

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Ok then, if you are great at rapping let hear it. This is the route you want to go so bring your A-game

G

GuestUser112

Your fat, man. I'm Batman. Bam. Look at that beauty. I can feel the applause of thousands already.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Oh, maybe I don't understand the ridiculously complex idea of the concept of need.... could you be a doll and please describe exactly what needs each of these artists have filled?

I'll be a doll. It's called the need for entertainment.

Maybe you'll make it, maybe you won't... I don't know.

Anyhoo, this conversation has been a colossal waste of time for everyone involved. I'm sorry that they won't be able to get those minutes back.

D

DeletedUser12

Oh hey guys. Yeah so I went on odesk to check out the competition for copywriting and saw about a million people offering services for about $2 per hour

oDesk rates can definitely be scary (I am a video editor) -- I couldn't get even the smallest gig, no one cared about quality or experience. But then someone posted a listing looking for a Master Editor for a decent rate, and I knew I would get the gig, and I did. There's a lot less competition when you really know your stuff and have a great reel / samples. What I'm editing is not great material -- but I can work from home and it pays the bills.

Self-made artists are increasingly growing incredibly popular due to their own utilization of youtube and their own entreprenurial skills - Hopsin, Mac Miller, etc. So why can't I do it.

I've worked at the top Youtube studio and met several people making a killing off of their videos in the music space and otherwise. Just stay focused on building your audience (subscribers).

Option

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 22, 2013
Netherlands
Thanks for all the great info in this thread.
Re-writing sales letters is a great advice.
I was looking for more tips to practice copywriting as a complete beginner.
I live in Europe and my English is pretty awful, so I am going to do it in my origin language.

Did you guys did things like writing sales letters just to start some list building? (even though the letter might be crap)
Or I was thinking affiliate marketing with a landing page? (not for the money, just for basic practice with the change of picking up some change)
Or trying to rank my personal CopyWriting freelance website in google? (as i'm local this is pretty doable)

Guidance would be very much appreciated :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.