Vigilante
Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
I thought you guys and gals might get a kick out of a quick "fast lane" exchange I had today.
I stopped by my office, which is about a 9 iron away from Best Buy's corporate office.
Someone stopped by my office while I was there, and asked me if I would help them on something. Something that they... as an employee of someone else's company... was tasked with accomplishing. Could I have done it? Yep. Could they do it without my (uncompensated) help? Yep.
"Sorry. I'm leaving in 5 minutes and can't help you." I said.
"Where are you going?" she asked.
"Home" I said.
"At noon? Why?" she asked.
"Because I can. That's the difference between you and me."
She knew exactly what I was talking about.
She looked at the decanter of Jim Beam Black that I keep on a shelf in my office.
"Why do you have that here?" she asked.
"Because I can. That's the difference between you and me. That decanter represents my ability to do what ever the hell I want. And you can't. And that's freedom to me." (I seldom if ever drink from that decanter, by the way. It's more symbolic for me than practical. But I can...)
She left, and went back to the cubicle that had been assigned to her by her employer.
I left, and went home and played with my 7 month old baby.
You could come back to the office 5 years from now... and either she or someone exactly like her will still be occupying that cubicle.
Blaze your own path.
I stopped by my office, which is about a 9 iron away from Best Buy's corporate office.
Someone stopped by my office while I was there, and asked me if I would help them on something. Something that they... as an employee of someone else's company... was tasked with accomplishing. Could I have done it? Yep. Could they do it without my (uncompensated) help? Yep.
"Sorry. I'm leaving in 5 minutes and can't help you." I said.
"Where are you going?" she asked.
"Home" I said.
"At noon? Why?" she asked.
"Because I can. That's the difference between you and me."
She knew exactly what I was talking about.
She looked at the decanter of Jim Beam Black that I keep on a shelf in my office.
"Why do you have that here?" she asked.
"Because I can. That's the difference between you and me. That decanter represents my ability to do what ever the hell I want. And you can't. And that's freedom to me." (I seldom if ever drink from that decanter, by the way. It's more symbolic for me than practical. But I can...)
She left, and went back to the cubicle that had been assigned to her by her employer.
I left, and went home and played with my 7 month old baby.
You could come back to the office 5 years from now... and either she or someone exactly like her will still be occupying that cubicle.
Blaze your own path.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
