The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bad economy, tough laws, and hard times in RE Management.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Has anyone else had to deal with the intense competition that certain Arizona markets are producing due to new anti-immigration laws, hard economies, negative growth, and other issues? Well, if you have, I've got good news for you......there is a way to beat it all!
This doesn't just apply to Arizona. Anywhere, in any state with commercial real estate management should be feeling the pinch right now, even if you're not in one of the hardest hit markets around. There are some great steps to take to rise above the issues at hand even if you're leveraged at extremely high rates; so long as you made a good investment.

Forgive my spelling while I eat jalapeno chips and sweat while I write :smx3: Right now the market in Arizona is suffering due to the aforementioned reasons. Right now there is anywhere from an average of 8% to 18% vacancy rate in any given area. This amount is huge. A property with an income of $50,000 per year, with 18% vacancy will only make $41,000, and that is before any expenses like landscaping, maintenance, repairs, capital investments, salaries, but includes vacancy. As we all know, as vacancy rates go up, expenses increase. Instead of having to replace 1 or 2 carpets, you will have to replace 5 or 6 per month if your vacancy is high. The same goes for appliances, drywall, paint supplies, etc.

To fix this problem, there are a few different strategies. The owners who want to suffer the most will stick to the current price rates and blame as much as possible on management as well as the market. The real fact is that you create your own market. If you lower your prices, you will create your own submarket and--as I know from personal experience--fill up within a very very short time frame. If you take away all competition then you have made your own niche. You are now the cheap, classy, and desirable place to go! Your residents will now recommend people left and right, and you will fill up your vacancies with relatively little effort.

There are, of course, costs to lowering your rents to filling up so quickly. I feel that we should touch on this subject for just a moment before I post this topic. If for example you had a 100 unit complex, and 25 vacant apartments, then you are going to have to pay to replace possibly 15 carpets and vinyl, appliances, paint, A/C units, drywall, etc. You should immediately see what the competition is charging, and severely undercut them while spending the money necessary to fix up these new vacant apartments. You will now spend $25,000 or more to get these units ready. This is much better than the alternative...

Let's say you skimp on expenses and simply replace some carpets, and get the lowest possible denominator when it comes to renting. You NEED to fill apartments, so you allow anyone in, no deposits, and free rent all over the place. You have now set yourself up to be screwed. Keep your screening process 100% and only let the best in. Make sure they know that you're only letting in the best while at the same time having the best prices around! Make it seem as hard as possible to get in while at the same time approving the best applicants and rejecting the rest. You will fill up. To do this you should undercut your competition a LOT. You will get them, and they will stay as long as you do. your. job. Screen, screen, and screen your residents.

In terms of rent loss, with your 25 units you may lose as much as $5,000 per month because of your low low price!
In terms of not having a vacancy loss of $25,000 that is a steal!

You can always increase rents, and it is better to make $10,000 per month than lose $10,000 per month, wouldn't you agree?

There are many subtle marketing points, techniques, and issues to make sure to have if you want to get the best residents and get rid of any bad ones even while in this period. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to post them. This is not part 2 of my commercial management plan as we didn't really have the kind of base/interest to go into a whole series, but I think you guys may want to know a little bit about this the way the economy is going.

At the complex I am at--130 or so units--it makes a big difference when you beat the crap out of the competition when everyone else is losing 20k per month. This is a hard number to swallow. -$20,000 per month. Do you ever want to be in that spot? There are many in my area who are there right now. Make sure you know what you're doing before you jump into this awesome jungle :patriot:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks JesseO!

More and more businesses will be turning to strategies such as this if they start to see a slump... the hospitality industry, the self storage industry, etc.

A changing economy is a time to rework strategy!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
JesseO, great post.

Question for you...

I can see a situation where your next-door neighbor complex will also drop their prices to keep up with yours. Obviously, quality is not the same so most renters will choose yours over theirs. But then that owner will drop prices again and will undercut you, spiraling down even further.

If that is the case then, what is the game? Hope your competition goes bankrupt and you don't?

Also, if your occupancy is 100% then it is clear that your prices could be increased. Would that "rule" still apply in a market like Arizona today?

How are you dealing with candidates that look great in the screening process but state that they can't pay the deposit.... are you modifying your rules and let them get the place? Or your rule is a hard rule and no exceptions are allowed today?

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
We shop our competition on a monthly basis (or when we have time :smxB:) and find out what their prices, specials, deposits, and quality are like. Right now we are very far below any of their prices. This is paying off hugely as we are now at a point to where we have an extra crew and processes in play to help get units ready quicker, as well as a waiting list. I know prices will be going back up very soon. If one of the neighbor apartments were to actually do their homework and find out what our prices and specials are, and then lower their prices below ours, then there would still be only two complexes in the area with great pricing. In the situation you mentioned where it might be the only apartments in the area, then yes I would go into a price competition until someone gives. I think of it this way: is it better to have bunch of empty units and lose $10,000 from vacancy, or have a bunch of low prices units and lose $1,000? Keep in mind we still have very strict requirements to move in; minimum income amounts, no felonies, no misdemeanors involving people or property (think assault or theft), etc.

If you get to the point to where you are 100% full, then yes you should definitely raise the rents. There is a balancing point to having prices set where you get the most income. You don't want to be super cheap and always 100% full. You want to get as much money as you can without losing people to the point to where you have to lower rents. This thread is mainly regarding very bad markets with 12-25% vacancy rates. I've gone in places and introduced myself as the manager down the road and had some candid talks with other managers. They all acknowledge the difficulty of our current market and how many vacancies they have.

Regarding people who say they can't pay and want a better deal, tough luck for them. We have the best deal around and if they can't afford something like an application fee and deposit, then how would we expect them to pay rent? We are very strict on payments due and move-in requirements. There is nobody who gets away without paying late fees, court fees, etc.

Sorry for such a long post :smxA:

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks JesseO!

More and more businesses will be turning to strategies such as this if they start to see a slump... the hospitality industry, the self storage industry, etc.

A changing economy is a time to rework strategy!

I am not in the property rental business, but I am curious if the self-storage industry is having hard time? If people have to move out, where do they store their stuff in the garage?

More and more people are losing their houses and put their stuff into a self-storage places. So I assume that the storage business in some citiees have less occupancy.

I will be interested in knowing how I can help storage business increasing their sales with my future web project.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Apartment owners and managers can frequently adopt some very flawed strategies. The biggest flaws always show up in a soft market.

Vacancies are going up. The metrics that many managers have with the owners is rental rates combined with vacancy rates. The owners struggle in their desire to have higher rental rates. This is what they feel is the primary driver for value.

On the other hand, vacancy rates are usually the primary conversation when trying to determine how to increase income. Move-In specials and relaxed screening typically follow. The on-site manager and the management company are trying to increase rentals any way they can.

Move-In specials encourage movement. When a market is saturated with specials, people tend to move around. We will put them in place as well since the market needs to be matched to an extent. But, owners really shoot themselves in the foot with these. It is much better to offer value. Encourage strong renters that want stability and value in a soft market. Move back to an aggressive program when the market begins to tighten.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I am not in the property rental business, but I am curious if the self-storage industry is having hard time? If people have to move out, where do they store their stuff in the garage?

More and more people are losing their houses and put their stuff into a self-storage places. So I assume that the storage business in some citiees have less occupancy.

I will be interested in knowing how I can help storage business increasing their sales with my future web project.

AroundTheWorld, our resident expert on Self Storage, has a few blog posts about that same topic:

Why Invest in a Self Storage Business?*|*Start a Self Storage Business
Why Invest in Self Storage? - Part II*|*Start a Self Storage Business
Why Invest in Self Storage - Part III*|*Start a Self Storage Business
Why Invest in Self Storage? Part IV*|*Start a Self Storage Business

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for posting those links, andviv. You've always been a great resource here and I didn't have the time to look them up myself =) I totally agree that AroundTheWorld is the one to ask when it comes to storage. My hunch is that if someone skips out of an apartment then they will skip out of their storage. Right now may be a good time to go shopping at storage units :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.