The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Baby steps, an aspiring farmer's journey of replacing a modest salary

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Rick2010

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 2, 2014
Florida
Hello Fastlaners!

I am new here, but I wanted to take the time to introduce myself and log some basic plans and goals. This will also be a chance for me to dust off my typing fingers as I begin the process of building a blog (that is not entrepreneurial in nature).

For as long as I can remember I have been a wantreprener. I bounced from idea to idea with complete lack of focus. It was not very pretty. I read TMF over a year ago and have been lurking on the forum here and there ever since. I will say I took more risks and had more failures this last year, but the failures have actually mattered. I blew 10 grand on a business last year that brought me roughly 2k in revenue. I'll admit, the 8k loss was incredibly painful, but I'm more proud of losing that money than I am of anything else in my life. This forum contains one of the few groups of people in the world who could ever understand that.

This thread is not the time or place to go into details of the failed business, (that will go in the first chapter of the book I write), this is the place for my current plans and goals. The initial goals of my current business model are to create $2400 worth of Organic Produce and plants per week, and earn a minimum of $1200 per week through the sales of said produce and plants.

I was hesitant to start this thread; after reading of MJ's explanation of the reasoning behind the secrecy and unwillingness to display ones niche, website, or financial data. I will not be sharing the details of my big picture globalization, or the intricacies of the distribution system I have in my head. There are indeed people out there who have the knowledge, confidence, and resources to make my vision a reality in less time than it would take me, but the decision to not spill the beans comes from a different reality. What good would it do for me to disclose my "big plans" to earn billions in top-line revenue through food production while I am still dependent on a modest salary to pay the mortgage? Yes these ideas exist, but it seems more appropriate to focus on the baby steps required to replace a modest salary with a modest business net profit.

As a matter of fact, it was about 3 years ago I first noticed it would be profitable to run a produce stand when I observed exactly how much a local farmer was earning selling oranges and strawberries from the back of a pickup. My lady friend requested I stop for strawberries, and I obliged. She waited in line for damn near 20 minutes. In the 20 minutes I stood there, the farmer had pocketed over $200. My naive self instantly assumed the farmer was earning a whopping $600 an hour, but I now realize he only earns during the hours he spends selling, not during the time he spends growing. (which actually is only time spent picking the oranges, as they grow every year en masse from established trees. Hmm, perhaps there were money trees before the internet.)

You may be thinking of stealing my idea and running with it. That's fine. If you find enjoyment in the villainous deed of stealing my idea to be a small scale farmer, power to you. Matter of fact, there is enough of a market for produce that unless you are planning on setting up a produce stand directly next to mine, selling exactly the same products, it really doesn't affect me now, and most-likely will bear no effect on my large scale plans to earn billions while ending world hunger.

Since I just mentioned the need for affordable, quality organic produce, allow me to segway into a brief analysis of my business model through the CENTS test. Food. It's pretty much #1 on the needs list, and millions of people die of being HUNGRY. This leads me to hypothesize that there is not enough food produced in the world. Need rating: HIGH

Entry, now this ones a bit tricky, and I am hoping a few of you will chime in on my analysis of this. There are a few barriers to entry, aside from the typical barriers keeping the majority from embarking on any entrepreneurial journey. I would say the barriers are pretty low. Most anyone could start a small farm if they had the resource of land or the capital to acquire land. (The large scale fastlane vision will require several years of trial, error, and creating new growing methods.The methods of farming I will be doing are relatively specialized, and before I can earn my seat at the entrepreneurial grown-ups table, I have to spend several years of trial and error of the growing methods that I plant to exploit and change to suit my needs. This will be the real barrier to entry competition.) Entry rating for starting a produce stand: Relatively LOW.

I would say control is moderate. There are always factors outside your control with farming. Pests, weather, soil composition, local climate, etc. Part of the intentions of the 2-3 season experimental learning curve will be learning of ways to gain control of these factors while still remaining organic. (True story, this is how/why GMO produce was developed) People need food year round, and I have the ability to provide that. (*Side note, I live in Central FL so I practically can grow produce year round.) If the economy collapsed, I would still be able to earn whatever I need by adjusting parameters. Big picture control rating is moderate to high. Produce stand control is Moderate.

Scale as a single guy running a produce stand is pretty small. It would initially be limited to within a few mile radius until an effective distribution system is implemented. Scale potential is huge. (Apples grow in New England ends up in grocery stores in FL, while Oranges grown in FL end up in stores in Maine.) Scale as a one man stand is obviously low. Scale potential with the proper distribution system, global.

Time. The ever flowing river. This is where it may seem that a produce stand is not free from my time. Even the large scale plan involves a large distribution system and human resource systems so I estimate passivity on a large scale being at 50-60% passive, needing my direct input more than a web-based services business. Since I plan on running the produce stand by myself, passivity is nil. The growing aspect is fairly hands off though, once the seeds are planted, watering and growing are automatic and require very little of my time until the produce needs to be harvested or the plant is ready to be sold. The goal for the produce stand is simply to get me out of my career, which will give me more time to work on the ideas an process required for globalization. It will also give me the satisfaction of control over my own life that all of us are after in the first place.

That's my elementary analysis of the pros-cons of getting involved in small scale farming and produce stand sales. I have been planting seeds and collecting resources over the last few weeks. (I just recently moved to a home with land so this idea could be pursued.) I have been planting roughly 200 seeds per day six days per week. If there was no loss whatsoever and I was able to sell every single plant or piece of produce produced, my current rate of effort would yield between 2 and 4K per week. Of course, there will be some loss, which is why I am producing significantly more than will give me the income to leave my job forever. I am using this as my baseline to reach my goal of consistently earning $1200 per week to replace my salary. I plan to sell mostly on the weekends, and tend the gardens during the week while I am not at work.

I have been planting regularly for the last 3 weeks and should have more product than I know what to do with come March-April. This is when the challenge will switch from production to sales. Ok, I think I'm done writing for the evening.

Please share your thoughts! Are there any other "farmers" on the forum?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Liz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 1, 2013
South Africa
Hi Rick2010,
Best of luck with your farming. You certainly are going to work very hard when you are in production. I sincerely hope your produce is in such great demand that you wished you planted 10 times more.

I recently had a look at aquaponics. Fish is included in the farming operation.

The only big challenge I can see is that if anything goes wrong with you or your farming, there is not any passive income, especially when you started out.

Liz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 1, 2013
South Africa
Hi Rick2010,
Best of luck with your farming. You certainly are going to work very hard when you are in production. I sincerely hope your produce is in such great demand that you wished you planted 10 times more.

I recently had a look at aquaponics. Fish is included in the farming operation.

The only big challenge I can see is that if anything goes wrong with you or your farming, there is not any passive income, especially when you started out.

Rick2010

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 2, 2014
Florida
Hi Liz!

I do plan to incorporate aqauponics into my system, mainly for growing peppers. There is a large market for Tilapia here in FL, and there are also some nice grants available for tilapia growers.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
478%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
In my area of Sunny Florida we are a seafood capitol. Guess where 98% of our catch goes....NYC and ATL. IMHO - Take your product to the market that will pay the most :)

Camo & Gold

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Nov 28, 2014
Dirty South
Welcome aboard Rick! First off I will admit that I am in a similar niche as you (Environmental Horticulture student) and I have many friends and family in the field. My uncle actually sells his extra produce from his garden at home to local businesses! I was also successful in creating my own tropical fish business at the age of 14 as well as creating my own strain of tree at the moment for the timber industry. I understand the risk of copycats but if you need any help feel free to PM me, I'd be glad to help you start out.

Again, welcome aboard and good luck!

Rick2010

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 2, 2014
Florida
Thanks Camo & Gold! My day job has me spending a lot of time back of house at very large hotels. Seeing the amount of produce they go through blows my mind. I have spoken with several purchasing managers and they seem to have issues getting quality produce consistently. Local hotels are one of my primary targets. (I've made it a point to befriend purchasing managers)

Trees, interesting. I have started a few Paulownia Trees to do some "pruing/topping/coppicing" experiments for an interesting blog article.

Ha, a fish business. We have a lot to talk about.....

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
@Rick2010, welcome to the forum and thanks for the progress thread. I also have a very small land in our province that i'd like to maximize the profits (currently its being rented out for a very very small amount), also I'd want it so that me and my dad can spend more time together but I have to focus on my current startup business and see it through the end, plus save up. So maybe in the future I'd also have a thread like this. :)

Good luck on your journey and again, welcome to the forum.

DaisyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Nov 11, 2014
Canada
Hello Fastlaners!

I am new here, but I wanted to take the time to introduce myself and log some basic plans and goals. This will also be a chance for me to dust off my typing fingers as I begin the process of building a blog (that is not entrepreneurial in nature).

For as long as I can remember I have been a wantreprener. I bounced from idea to idea with complete lack of focus. It was not very pretty. I read TMF over a year ago and have been lurking on the forum here and there ever since. I will say I took more risks and had more failures this last year, but the failures have actually mattered. I blew 10 grand on a business last year that brought me roughly 2k in revenue. I'll admit, the 8k loss was incredibly painful, but I'm more proud of losing that money than I am of anything else in my life. This forum contains one of the few groups of people in the world who could ever understand that.

This thread is not the time or place to go into details of the failed business, (that will go in the first chapter of the book I write), this is the place for my current plans and goals. The initial goals of my current business model are to create $2400 worth of Organic Produce and plants per week, and earn a minimum of $1200 per week through the sales of said produce and plants.

I was hesitant to start this thread; after reading of MJ's explanation of the reasoning behind the secrecy and unwillingness to display ones niche, website, or financial data. I will not be sharing the details of my big picture globalization, or the intricacies of the distribution system I have in my head. There are indeed people out there who have the knowledge, confidence, and resources to make my vision a reality in less time than it would take me, but the decision to not spill the beans comes from a different reality. What good would it do for me to disclose my "big plans" to earn billions in top-line revenue through food production while I am still dependent on a modest salary to pay the mortgage? Yes these ideas exist, but it seems more appropriate to focus on the baby steps required to replace a modest salary with a modest business net profit.

As a matter of fact, it was about 3 years ago I first noticed it would be profitable to run a produce stand when I observed exactly how much a local farmer was earning selling oranges and strawberries from the back of a pickup. My lady friend requested I stop for strawberries, and I obliged. She waited in line for damn near 20 minutes. In the 20 minutes I stood there, the farmer had pocketed over $200. My naive self instantly assumed the farmer was earning a whopping $600 an hour, but I now realize he only earns during the hours he spends selling, not during the time he spends growing. (which actually is only time spent picking the oranges, as they grow every year en masse from established trees. Hmm, perhaps there were money trees before the internet.)

You may be thinking of stealing my idea and running with it. That's fine. If you find enjoyment in the villainous deed of stealing my idea to be a small scale farmer, power to you. Matter of fact, there is enough of a market for produce that unless you are planning on setting up a produce stand directly next to mine, selling exactly the same products, it really doesn't affect me now, and most-likely will bear no effect on my large scale plans to earn billions while ending world hunger.

Since I just mentioned the need for affordable, quality organic produce, allow me to segway into a brief analysis of my business model through the CENTS test. Food. It's pretty much #1 on the needs list, and millions of people die of being HUNGRY. This leads me to hypothesize that there is not enough food produced in the world. Need rating: HIGH

Entry, now this ones a bit tricky, and I am hoping a few of you will chime in on my analysis of this. There are a few barriers to entry, aside from the typical barriers keeping the majority from embarking on any entrepreneurial journey. I would say the barriers are pretty low. Most anyone could start a small farm if they had the resource of land or the capital to acquire land. (The large scale fastlane vision will require several years of trial, error, and creating new growing methods.The methods of farming I will be doing are relatively specialized, and before I can earn my seat at the entrepreneurial grown-ups table, I have to spend several years of trial and error of the growing methods that I plant to exploit and change to suit my needs. This will be the real barrier to entry competition.) Entry rating for starting a produce stand: Relatively LOW.

I would say control is moderate. There are always factors outside your control with farming. Pests, weather, soil composition, local climate, etc. Part of the intentions of the 2-3 season experimental learning curve will be learning of ways to gain control of these factors while still remaining organic. (True story, this is how/why GMO produce was developed) People need food year round, and I have the ability to provide that. (*Side note, I live in Central FL so I practically can grow produce year round.) If the economy collapsed, I would still be able to earn whatever I need by adjusting parameters. Big picture control rating is moderate to high. Produce stand control is Moderate.

Scale as a single guy running a produce stand is pretty small. It would initially be limited to within a few mile radius until an effective distribution system is implemented. Scale potential is huge. (Apples grow in New England ends up in grocery stores in FL, while Oranges grown in FL end up in stores in Maine.) Scale as a one man stand is obviously low. Scale potential with the proper distribution system, global.

Time. The ever flowing river. This is where it may seem that a produce stand is not free from my time. Even the large scale plan involves a large distribution system and human resource systems so I estimate passivity on a large scale being at 50-60% passive, needing my direct input more than a web-based services business. Since I plan on running the produce stand by myself, passivity is nil. The growing aspect is fairly hands off though, once the seeds are planted, watering and growing are automatic and require very little of my time until the produce needs to be harvested or the plant is ready to be sold. The goal for the produce stand is simply to get me out of my career, which will give me more time to work on the ideas an process required for globalization. It will also give me the satisfaction of control over my own life that all of us are after in the first place.

That's my elementary analysis of the pros-cons of getting involved in small scale farming and produce stand sales. I have been planting seeds and collecting resources over the last few weeks. (I just recently moved to a home with land so this idea could be pursued.) I have been planting roughly 200 seeds per day six days per week. If there was no loss whatsoever and I was able to sell every single plant or piece of produce produced, my current rate of effort would yield between 2 and 4K per week. Of course, there will be some loss, which is why I am producing significantly more than will give me the income to leave my job forever. I am using this as my baseline to reach my goal of consistently earning $1200 per week to replace my salary. I plan to sell mostly on the weekends, and tend the gardens during the week while I am not at work.

I have been planting regularly for the last 3 weeks and should have more product than I know what to do with come March-April. This is when the challenge will switch from production to sales. Ok, I think I'm done writing for the evening.

Please share your thoughts! Are there any other "farmers" on the forum?

Yep, farmed for years and went to agricultural college. Not currently farming now but intend to get back in to it! Raised crops, livestock and fruit crops.
I admire your interest and start in this business. I must admit though that you do not mention having any background or experience in this area...or did I miss that part? Agriculture is such a tricky business because there are so very many factors out of your control.

If this is your first venture in farming then I suggest you find a neighbouring farmer to guide/mentor you or join a group like this one, the Florida Organic Growers Association. http://www.foginfo.org/about-us/ Much of being a good farmer is a learned skill set, so having others to call upon who have years of experience will be invaluable to you.

Your statement "The growing aspect is fairly hands off though, once the seeds are planted, watering and growing are automatic and require very little of my time until the produce needs to be harvested or the plant is ready to be sold." is not quite the way it works, although it is a lovely thought! Weed control takes a tremendous, ongoing effort, especially if you are not using herbicides. Then, you will need to do IPM for pests and perhaps irrigation.

The challenge with produce is shelf life. There is usually only a certain window of opportunity for harvesting and sales. Trying to do as much pre-selling as possible will be best. Have you considered a subscription based food basket program or CSA? It helps you with cashflow, anticipating demand and planning for time, resources, etc.

Here is a bit about the idea from a website called Local Harvest.org
For over 25 years, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) has become a popular way for consumers to buy local, seasonal food directly from a farmer.

Here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables, but other farm products may be included. Interested consumers purchase a share (aka a "membership" or a "subscription") and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season.

This arrangement creates several rewards for both the farmer and the consumer. In brief:

Advantages for farmers:
  • Get to spend time marketing the food early in the year, before their 16 hour days in the field begin
  • Receive payment early in the season, which helps with the farm's cash flow
  • Have an opportunity to get to know the people who eat the food they grow

Advantages for consumers:
  • Eat ultra-fresh food, with all the flavor and vitamin benefits
  • Get exposed to new vegetables and new ways of cooking
  • Usually get to visit the farm at least once a season
  • Find that kids typically favor food from "their" farm – even veggies they've never been known to eat
  • Develop a relationship with the farmer who grows their food and learn more about how food is grown
It's a simple enough idea, but its impact has been profound. Tens of thousands of families have joined CSAs, and in some areas of the country there is more demand than there are CSA farms to fill it. The government does not track CSAs, so there is no official count of how many CSAs there are in the U.S.. LocalHarvest has the most comprehensive directory of CSA farms, with over 4,000 listed in our grassroots database.

Good luck.

Rick2010

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 2, 2014
Florida
Yep, farmed for years and went to agricultural college. Not currently farming now but intend to get back in to it! Raised crops, livestock and fruit crops.
I admire your interest and start in this business. I must admit though that you do not mention having any background or experience in this area...or did I miss that part? Agriculture is such a tricky business because there are so very many factors out of your control.

If this is your first venture in farming then I suggest you find a neighbouring farmer to guide/mentor you or join a group like this one, the Florida Organic Growers Association. http://www.foginfo.org/about-us/ Much of being a good farmer is a learned skill set, so having others to call upon who have years of experience will be invaluable to you.

Your statement "The growing aspect is fairly hands off though, once the seeds are planted, watering and growing are automatic and require very little of my time until the produce needs to be harvested or the plant is ready to be sold." is not quite the way it works, although it is a lovely thought! Weed control takes a tremendous, ongoing effort, especially if you are not using herbicides. Then, you will need to do IPM for pests and perhaps irrigation.

The challenge with produce is shelf life. There is usually only a certain window of opportunity for harvesting and sales. Trying to do as much pre-selling as possible will be best. Have you considered a subscription based food basket program or CSA? It helps you with cashflow, anticipating demand and planning for time, resources, etc.

Here is a bit about the idea from a website called Local Harvest.org
For over 25 years, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) has become a popular way for consumers to buy local, seasonal food directly from a farmer.

Here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables, but other farm products may be included. Interested consumers purchase a share (aka a "membership" or a "subscription") and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season.

This arrangement creates several rewards for both the farmer and the consumer. In brief:

Advantages for farmers:
  • Get to spend time marketing the food early in the year, before their 16 hour days in the field begin
  • Receive payment early in the season, which helps with the farm's cash flow
  • Have an opportunity to get to know the people who eat the food they grow

Advantages for consumers:
  • Eat ultra-fresh food, with all the flavor and vitamin benefits
  • Get exposed to new vegetables and new ways of cooking
  • Usually get to visit the farm at least once a season
  • Find that kids typically favor food from "their" farm – even veggies they've never been known to eat
  • Develop a relationship with the farmer who grows their food and learn more about how food is grown
It's a simple enough idea, but its impact has been profound. Tens of thousands of families have joined CSAs, and in some areas of the country there is more demand than there are CSA farms to fill it. The government does not track CSAs, so there is no official count of how many CSAs there are in the U.S.. LocalHarvest has the most comprehensive directory of CSA farms, with over 4,000 listed in our grassroots database.

Good luck.
Wow! Thanks for the resources! I do have experience growing before, on a small scale. I grew up next to a man who was a small scale farmer as a side business. I was the "cheap labor".

I did put in 2 years as a biology major, with an independent focus on aquaculture, but I quickly dropped out when my scholarships ran out. I spent a good deal of time working with plants. I am not a complete rookie at growing, I have just never done it with the intention of turning it into a profitable business. I plant to stick with the easier varieties for the produce stand, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and squash. I will also be offering plants: vegetable and annual flowers. I anticipate a lot of challenges along the way, and am aware that it is going to be a major time sucker. But that's quite alright for now, the goal is to earn cash consistently so I can leave the security of my job. In all of my previous efforts I have failed to address the importance of the small goals that can be built upon, and just getting out of the job.

I will keep this thread updated with all of the struggles as they come up. Part of the point of this thread is for accountability. In past ventures, I wasn't even honest with myself. So I now am forcing myself to take consistent action, and react appropriately to shortcomings and failure to plan, (or face a much deserved shaming.)

Thank you for the realistic perspective!

Camo & Gold

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Nov 28, 2014
Dirty South
Thanks Camo & Gold! My day job has me spending a lot of time back of house at very large hotels. Seeing the amount of produce they go through blows my mind. I have spoken with several purchasing managers and they seem to have issues getting quality produce consistently. Local hotels are one of my primary targets. (I've made it a point to befriend purchasing managers)

Trees, interesting. I have started a few Paulownia Trees to do some "pruing/topping/coppicing" experiments for an interesting blog article.

Ha, a fish business. We have a lot to talk about.....

Sounds like you have built up some promising leads! Just be careful, you may need to jump through some hoops with the FDA.
Yup a fish business, I may be able to help you out if things get "fishy" haha sorry I had to.

Rick2010

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 2, 2014
Florida
Sounds like you have built up some promising leads! Just be careful, you may need to jump through some hoops with the FDA.
Yup a fish business, I may be able to help you out if things get "fishy" haha sorry I had to.

Ah, the FDA. I look forward to dealing with them in the future. In FL, there are very loose regulations for roadside stands, which is why I plan to start their first. I need to make sure I can grow profitably before I get carried away. I hope the FDA is easier to deal with than the FWC, but I assume it is not.

"If you are selling only fresh fruits and vegetables, you do not need a license or permit from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Please check with your local tax collector for the occupational licenses and permits required in your county."

This is direct from the Florida Department of Agriculture and and Consumer Services. The rule is similar for baked goods and non-edible value added products including cut flowers. I will need to have a nursery license to sell plants, but that one should not be too terribly difficult to obtain.

Camo & Gold

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Nov 28, 2014
Dirty South
Ah, the FDA. I look forward to dealing with them in the future. In FL, there are very loose regulations for roadside stands, which is why I plan to start their first. I need to make sure I can grow profitably before I get carried away. I hope the FDA is easier to deal with than the FWC, but I assume it is not.

"If you are selling only fresh fruits and vegetables, you do not need a license or permit from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Please check with your local tax collector for the occupational licenses and permits required in your county."

This is direct from the Florida Department of Agriculture and and Consumer Services. The rule is similar for baked goods and non-edible value added products including cut flowers. I will need to have a nursery license to sell plants, but that one should not be too terribly difficult to obtain.

That's what I was referring to my bad. Yes the fish may give you a lot of trouble legal wise, but hopefully not. As for the plants you should really look into getting your Nursery Grower & Dealer license. They aren't very hard to obtain just take a simple test & pay a fee. If you can show your Nursery Dealer license you will be able to get discounts on buying plants. I'm actually going to get my Commercial Applicators License for Herb & Pesticides and it's a 30 minutes test & $45 fee.

Rick2010

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 2, 2014
Florida
Sunday Update:

It was cold in central FL this week. Dipped down into the 40s at night. Two of the mornings there were frost on the windshield, which is unusual for us. We lost a few of our seedlings, but I'm not too stressed about it. I will be keeping most of the warm weather crops inside until after january. They will go in the grow beds in February. I do have cool season crops in the ground at the moment, but I plan on consuming most of them. Carrots, Onions, Sweet Potatoes and Herbs do well in FL winters, but I do not plant to incorporate too many of these into my business as they are very labor intensive. The exception being the herbs. The lady has been working on coming up with ways to "package" the herbs so that we can sell them in custom planters so that they warrant a premium price.

I managed to get my office/grow room cleaned up a good bit. The lady and I have been working diligently to get the house clean and prepared for our families to arrive and spend xmas with us.

I have always found that a clean work environment leads to an increase in productivity. Which is great because this week was not as productive as I would have liked. I did manage to list a few things for sale on Craigslist and ebay, that I have been procrastinating on. I managed to get quite a few seeds started and I have a large quantity of Tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers that have already germinated. I need to take a full inventory of what is currently growing so I can work on some revenue estimations. This shows progress for me as I have been spending more time on the correct 80/20 activities. In the past I have spent way too much time creating projections and not enough time working. This time around I have made it a point to just "do" and not worry so much about the money. It will be enjoyable to work on these spreadsheets knowing the work has already been started to earn the actual projections.

THE GOOD:
got a lot of plants started
re-read Part One of TMF
Actually spent some time posting on the forum instead of lurking.
Cleaned the office and the house
Listed quite a few items for sale I have been meaning to get around to. (some aquarium equipment, livestock, and vinyls I bought on CL after reading the Hustlin' thread)
Zero hours spent watching TV. Watched the Ravens game via NFL App updates only.

THE NOT GOOD ENOUGH:
Did not spend enough time reading this week. I need to finish Atlas Shrugged.
Only went to the gym 1 day. Shame on me, I know better. I have been more tired than usual because of this.
Slept in frequently. Woke up past 7am on 3 occasions. UNACCEPTABLE!

GOALS FOR NEXT WEEK
Regain Discipline. Get out of bed @ 6, set a personal best at the gym and finish Atlas Shrugged.
I ordered 500 pepper seeds, so I need to get these planted by Friday. I am off on Tuesday (Birthday) so hopefully they arrive monday or tuesday and I can get them started on Tuesday.
Fix the car: I was in a fender bender on Monday, so the new parts should be here this week, and I can get it all together next weekend.
Organize receipts for taxes. I would like to file the first weekend of Jan.

It's going to be a great week, I can feel it! Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Rick2010

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 2, 2014
Florida
Sunday Update.

Whew, the holidays are over, the families are gone, and productivity can resume. Looking back at my 2014 goals, I did fairly well for the year.
I set a goal to sell 365 items on ebay. I did not reach the goal, but I managed to sell 276 items that generated $2,015.96 after shipping, ebay fees, and paypal fees.
I set a goal to sell my home and purchase a new home with more space. We achieved this. Back in 2012, we purchased our first home with the plan to sell in two years for a profit. We bought in an area of town where they were building 2 hospitals and multiple colleges were building mini-campus medical schools. We bought for $181K with 3.5% down. We sold and walked away with $47K in our pockets. We put this down on a house (%20) in a less expensive side of town where I could start my own business.

I know a lot of you preach to get a cheap apartment, but I follow a different philosophy. I believe in buying a home with as many bedrooms as you can afford, and fill them with roommates. Why pay $400 a rent when you could have an entire mortgage paid on a home by renting out the extra bedrooms.

Mortgage = $1,950.
Renter one: Good friend. She has rented with us before. Very reliable. $500 per month for one bedroom.
Renter 2: Older woman from wifes work. She rented an apartment we subleased and never missed a payment. When her lease is up, she is moving in. March. $600 per month.
Renter 3: Good friends who have spent many weekends sleeping on our couch. When their lease is up, they are moving in to one bedroom. $650 per month.
Total rental income: $1,750.
My mortgage contribution: $100. My wifes mortgage contribution: $100.
I pay the utilities and agreed to get cable when the couple move in. Which totals about $300 per month. There are countless benefits for us for having each of these roommates. They make great dog-sitters, and they lighten the burden of mantenance, (the girls clean together, my buddy mows the lawn, etc). The beautiful thing is, we have a nice home, we pay the least, we get the massive master bedroom, we get the luxurious master bath, and I have freed up $900 per month to pursue my business, and my wife has freed up $900 of her income to put into our joint savings account. The kicker is my wife and I each have our very own office. It truly is a win-win-win situation, as we are saving our friends $ on rent, while providing a nice cushion for ourselves. It provides me the ability to walk away from my salary when business income is consistent for a few months. We could live in this house with roommates on my wifes salary alone. Without roommates, my savings account would last us roughly a year. With roommates, my savings account could last us roughly a decade.

Just a thought for any of you looking to cut back on expenses.

Another goal was to completely get out of debt, excluding the new mortgage. We did manage to pay off 80% of our debt. We owe a few grand on my wifes car, (13 camry). It will be completely paid off with our tax refund checks and her bonus coming in February. This will make us debt free, with a monthly set of bills under 1k, once the roommates move in.

I could cry thinking about what we have accomplished in the last two years. I know I haven't been on this forum long, but this transformation was happening before I joined here.
We moved to FL on our own 5 years ago with a car full of clothes and $300. I had an internship and she had picked up minimum wage job. We slept on an air mattress for 9 months. After 2 years things shaped up. We had a combined income in the six figures, but we made a few mistakes. We spent way more than we earned. Guys it was bad. But we wised up about two years ago, and took legitimate action about a year ago. It felt oddly good to trade in an almost new Grand Cherokee for a 97 Camry. I sold my pride and joy, an 87 wrangler on 37" meats, to buy equipment to start a business.

It was a great year. I failed a lot, but it was f**king awesome. I have learned so much and I am still learning every day. 2014 was the best year of my life. I have had so much fun in the last 6 months, actually doing things I have always wanted to do but had always been afraid to do.

2015 is going to kick some serious butt. So far, I have earned $76.71 in net profit on my own in 2015. I know it's not much, but It's mine and I'm proud of it. Did you know that one of the 7 deadly sins is pride? F that noise. I am proud of myself, and I am not ashamed.

I am proud of some peers for their accomplishments as well. This year I have seen two of my close friends go from minimum wage to six figures. I am so happy for them. I don't know what has happened to me, but I know a few years ago I would have been bitter and Jealous, (which, ironically enough, is also a deadly sin). I can honestly say I have nothing but happiness when I hear of their success. One of them actually has come to me for advise on how to handle her new money so that she doesn't get into debt. She is very smart, so I am not worried. She has always talked about buying a brand new mustang, blah, blah, blah, but today she bought a mustang that was a few years old, and she paid in cash. I am very proud of her.

It's amazing. I had some friends over for a new years celebration, and most of the attendees were saying how bad 2014 sucked, and that they "hope" (Hoping should be a deadly sin, just sayin') that 2015 will be better. When I told them to "go out and make 2015 better" I was met with cynicism, jealousy, and bitterness, much as I would have responded a few years earlier. I told each of them to read TMF , read The Law of Success, follow a specific blog, and join this forum. They got drunk and partied until the morning, but I was in bed by 12:15 cause I had shit to do in the morning!

I guess I'll quit ranting and go to bed, because, after all, I've got shit to do in the morning. I have hijacked my own thread, and I promise my next post will be on topic, and back to the progress of the small farm.

Have a wonderful week, and a profitable new year!

Liz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 1, 2013
South Africa
Hi Rick,

I love your business plan. You should nearly be in production. Was the $76.71 profit generated from your farming operation?

Rick2010

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 2, 2014
Florida
Hi Rick,

I love your business plan. You should nearly be in production. Was the $76.71 profit generated from your farming operation?

Unfortunately no. I won't have any sellable produce until spring (Late February/Early March). I have been starting seeds since the end of November.
The profit is from selling things on ebay that I picked up on CL, and I made a few small sales through my existing fish business.

Liz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 1, 2013
South Africa
Hi Rick, Nearly time for you to start reaping. You must be very exiting. I hold thumbs that you get a big cash injection and that your market loves your product. I bet you will be in the situation where you should have planted triple as much. If you see this post, please tell the community how it is going

Best of luck

Rick2010

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 2, 2014
Florida
Update!

The last month was rough. We had an unexpected late freeze Feb 19-20, and we took quite a loss. Some tomato plants held up and some peppers as well. Cucumbers were pretty much a total loss, which is not too bad, because they grow quickly.

The importance of a greenhouse has made itself apparent.

Friends, I need some guidance. I have been switching focus between two businesses, and I am worried I am giving neither the focus it needs to survive. I am having difficulty letting the fish business go. It is profitable, but it does not fare well when using the CENTS analysis. It basically fails the Need category. This was the motivational factor for transitioning to food.

I started the fish business last year, and have a lot invested in it. It is still running, at a low capacity. It is profitable (on a cash basis, excluding startup costs) and I love it. I don't want to abandon either project, but I am afraid that never will achieve greatness if I don't focus on one of them %100. There is a market for both businesses, and each business will be successful. The food business has unlimited scaling potential, and the fish business is not recession proof. The question is where do I focus my energy and time now? I am leaning towards focusing on the fish business and producing food on a smaller scale (enough to feed myself and perhaps a little extra to sell.) Is this the right move? I have well over 15K into the fish business, but it needs quite a bit more to get to the level I want it to. The thought of making it grow to that level is exciting, and something I want to see. I filed LLC for the fish business last month, and have built up relationships with 5 suppliers. I have a few regular customers, and new customers are reaching out almost daily. My heart is telling me to follow the course on the first business I started.

Ugh, mentally conflicted.

I guess I should start a new thread to discuss the fish business, and put this one on hold for now. I simply do not have the time to do both, and the fish business is putting cash in my pocket today, and there is plenty of room to grow.

n a better note, I have been a bit more disciplined, and have gone to the gym regularly. I feel great, and am running a Spartan Race on Saturday!

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Can you explain the fish business a little more?

You say fish business fails on "Need" but you are getting contacted "almost daily" by new customers. That sounds like need. How are they finding you? Are you advertising or word of mouth?

Rick2010

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 2, 2014
Florida
I sell saltwater aquarium livestock. Aquariums are superfluous, so I would assume it fails the need test. It is in demand, but the demand rises and falls with the economy.

My customers are coming from word of mouth, craigslist, and a facebook page.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Ahh. I understand now.

I was looking at your OP and saw an error:
Food. It's pretty much #1 on the needs list, and millions of people die of being HUNGRY. This leads me to hypothesize that there is not enough food produced in the world. Need rating: HIGH
There is enough food produced in the world. The issue is distribution.

But back to your question - fish or produce? From what I read in your posts, both have growth opportunity but produce is not as dependent on a strong economy.

The methods of farming I will be doing are relatively specialized, and before I can earn my seat at the entrepreneurial grown-ups table, I have to spend several years of trial and error of the growing methods that I plant to exploit and change to suit my needs. This will be the real barrier to entry competition.

Do these farming methods add value to the produce? Do these methods produce the high quality produce your commercial target places a premium on? I will assume they do as you have continued on this path.

Do you have enough produce growing now to figure out the growing methods?

My thought on your question - Maintain produce at current or less than current levels in order to work on the process. This process is the money maker.

Use the fish profits (which are currently stable) to keep going. Look for commercial customers that really need fish for their public facing aquariums. Hotels, clubs, restaurants, etc are not as fickle as private buyers.

Hope I didn't ramble too much!

Rick2010

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 2, 2014
Florida
There is enough food produced in the world. The issue is distribution.
Good point, hadn't thought about it this way!
Do these farming methods add value to the produce? Do these methods produce the high quality produce your commercial target places a premium on? I will assume they do as you have continued on this path.
Not really. They increase the rate of production in some instances. The produce is essentially the same as the produce in grocery stores. There is something to be said about the value of the process because it is location independent, as it can be done indoors, year-round. Fresh watermelon does not command a premium, but fresh watermelon in New England in January does.
Do you have enough produce growing now to figure out the growing methods?
Honestly, not at the moment. But it is feasible to increase the amount of produce if I were to get help. I have the space and capital to make this happen.
Use the fish profits (which are currently stable) to keep going. Look for commercial customers that really need fish for their public facing aquariums. Hotels, clubs, restaurants, etc are not as fickle as private buyers.
I have been working on proposals for tank leases for Doctor's offices, law offices, etc. I am actually leasing and maintaining a tank to a school and using that for leverage into other locations. I do it for free, but I get a variety of free publicity/advertising.

Thanks for the intelligent insight! It is much appreciated.

Rick2010

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 2, 2014
Florida
http://blog.idonethis.com/one-thing...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

This article was helpful. Here is the gist.

To Zuckerberg and Thiel, if you allow yourself to have more than one focus, you’ve already accepted the probability of mediocrity. By its very definition, focus doesn’t function when you’re diffracting your attention.

Make your focus ruthless. Focus on just one thing, and you’ll put your organization and your own personal productivity on the path to doing your best work and achieving excellence.

Liz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 1, 2013
South Africa
Sorry to hear about the cold snap. It really destroys a lot of hard work.

I hope you carry on with the fish as well with the produce. I saw a few tanks of the most gorgeous fish recently. I planted a few tomatoes and sold the access to a shop and a road stall.

Once all is under control with the vegetables, you have more time at hand. We used to grow tomatoes and chillies in the sub-tropic, freezing was not a threat, and we did not need a hot house. Husband set out the hydroponic system and boxed the tomatoes in. I got a super fertilizer recipe and the tomatoes were thriving. I mostly did all the work myself, once everything was in place, fertilizing, spraying. When reaping time came, we got help. We mostly sent all the produce to the fresh produce markets.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.