The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

awjt's diary of achieving financial independence.

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
I started a new business today.

While I have been a programmer for many years, and a consultant for more years, and a data analyst/father/breadwinner for even more years, it was today that I turned a corner. I opened a business checking account.

I already have an LLC. I already have contractor relationships with the government, and have had many clients over the years and lots of gigs. But for some reason, those never felt like turning a corner. So today, new bank account with $2k seed money.

Short term goals:
1. a viable website by the end of January 2012.
2. making actual sales and turning coin by mid February.

Long term goals:
1. all of it will be done within margin, bootstrapping this baby the entire way.
2. financial independence within three years.
3. to learn enough stuff that making beautiful, profitable websites and e-businesses becomes second nature.
4. to also produce useful back-end software that no one has ever thought of, and can be sold/licensed of its own accord.
5. eventual liquidation event and move to the next project.

I decided to start this thread and keep it as a journal, so that I am holding myself accountable to these goals and they don't just drift away like a forgotten dream. I am stepping up, doing this thing, and doing it well. When I have a test website, I will post the link for comments. Thank you in advance for any and all input/kicks in the pants, as needed, on this journey.

-awjt

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
I'm creating a website for ordering food from local places online. This has been done, lots of times. But if you look closely at what's out there, they are deficient in lots of ways that can be improved.

I love how the adsense keeps perfect track of the content of my posts and naturally posts ads for all these deficient sites! lol. fml.

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
Made good headway this weekend. Got my office behind the house squared away for work: power, internet, cleaned up.

Also have development of one of the major website elements about halfway done. Need to learn more CSS3 and Javascript to make this happen the way I want it. People have told me, "oh just outsource it." And I'm like pffff. I have NO business outsourcing something at this stage, if I don't know EXACTLY how it's done. I am bootstrapping. I need to know everything in my website, down to every dusty corner of the code. Otherwise later on, shit will break and I'll be scratching my head as customers jump ship while the days click by as I'm troubleshooting stuff I don't understand. I don't want that to happen, so I'm doing it the slow, hard way.

Also, I have my hosting and software installs squared away. Did a lot of reading on that. Good progress this weekend.

Looking forward to next week.

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
Quick update. It's the day after Christmas. Every day since I last posted on the 18th, I have been hammering away at my site. Some days all I have is an hour, and other days I can spend hours on end working on this thing. I've run my idea by a few people (who I know won't steal it LOL) and their responses are positive. But more than that (because when you tell people about an idea they usually are encouraging), they have offered extremely good suggestions for how to make it work. That is, to me, the hallmark of an idea with promise: when people immediately tell you ways you might improve it. It means that they get it, and the idea didn't just whiz by them making them go whu?. So, that was encouraging feedback. I will be incorporating their suggestions when the time is right.

As far as tangible progress, I have written down the 23 major areas I will have to address before the site is fully operational, with 13 of them critical to the site's basic function, so I'm concentrating there on those 13 things in these early weeks.

Today, I finally completed the rudimentary javascript/CSS container for my images. THAT friggin thing was a lot of work! Took me like about a week to figure out the code for it, lots of trial and error. Next is designing the script that will process the users' picture uploads INTO that standardized container object. As well as taking "breaks" to work on the shopping cart implementation and other stuff.

What's fun is that I can see progress, one step closer to making this website a reality, each day something new. It's very exciting to see something take shape, like a sculpture or a huge complicated painting.

51 more days to launch, and counting...
Full Screen Countdown to Feb 15, 2012

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
Made excellent progress this week. It is very slow, meticulous, often frustrating work.

The automation scripts for my site are nearly finished, from user-upload to page display. There is a whole barge-load of stuff in between those two extremes, which I worked out bit by bit, including some Perl scripts, more CSS and Jscript. What's left is ironing out the small stuff, fonts, sizing, a couple other graphic design details, and where to put these pieces in the CMS system I'm using. Then testing and validation.

After that, complete overhaul of the basic template for the website, getting all the pieces and parts where I want them, behaving how I want them to behave. Design the user-content-creation pages. And so on... Lots of fiddling with stuff until it works how I want it.

That's not as fun as the coding, though. I have one more huge piece of code to write, which fortunately I can recycle from a past project: a zip code selector. I wrote code last summer in Java to take a zip code, calculate all the other zip codes within a given radius of miles, then draw those zip codes to screen, shaped like they are supposed to be, with colors and labels. I will need some kind of map with highways and major roads, and I'm thinking about using the Google Maps API for this, and re-writing my stuff to be compatible. If anyone has any input on best practices for this zipcode mapping issue that could save me some time, I'd be grateful.

My deadline is looming... 47 days... If I keep at it, at this pace, and don't slow down or get discouraged, I'll make it. The goal I keep reminding myself:

I have to have a PRODUCT so that I can at least have the chance at passive income. Without the final result, even a rough draft that barely functions, I have no hope of the passive income that I want. So it's all a drive to get to a working version. I can refine/tweak/revamp it later. It just has to work, and it has to work on Feb 15th.

I'm not stopping until this is true.

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
I am working this thing to completion. At this point, my goal is to have the thing complete by my deadline. It's easy to get all sidetracked by dollar signs floating in the sky in front of me, but that's ridiculous. This thing might never make any money. I'm going to try my damned hardest to make that statement not be true and to make as much as possible with it, but.... right now money is beside the point. At this point I just need to have the first version WORKING. By Feb 15th. It's going to be tough but I'm close. I have a basic site juuuuust starting to come together. The pages are starting to show signs of life. A few more weeks and I'll have my site. My goal is COMPLETION. Then I'll deal with the competition.

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
Getting closer...
1. I understand the basic structure of the CMS I'm using, and have help resources lined up for when I get stuck. Things are far less frustrating now than a week ago.
2. The structure of my site is about 50% complete. Menus, pages, organization, etc.
3. Now I'm configuring the store with products and product displays.
4. After that will be weeks and weeks of styling the site. I have ideas from the CSS Zen Garden, and will be tweaking the CSS to get a smooth, elegant, APPETIZING look to the site.
5. I am developing the sales, marketing and customer service models for how I'm going to go out and round up clientele.
6. Working on my brother, see if he will help me with this project :) Arm-twisting my bro takes time... LOL
7. I cut ties temporarily with the business associate I keep complaining about. He wasn't happy, since he saw me as the linchpin to all his ambitions. Well, he wasn't willing to honor my need to have part ownership, so I had to cut him loose. Sorry, friend. :( Hurts to say goodbye, but them's the brakes. I did what I had to do.
8. Yes, I am utterly obsessed with this project. It's actually a little bit unhealthy. My back hurts from sitting here coding all day every day and skipping meals and exercise. I should be more balanced, but I'm freakin' driven to finish this thing by my deadline. My wife goes, "Why don't you make your deadline Feb 13th instead, so you can spend Valentine's day with me?" I said, "Sorry hon, no can do. I'll spend a few hours on Valentine's day evening with you, but I will have to work on my project to be ready for the 15th." LOL. :heartbeat: LOL.

HELL OR HIGH WATER I AM COMPLETING THIS PROJECT BY FEB 15TH!

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
Of course, as soon as I announce that things are less frustrating, that's when they get EVEN MORE frustrating. Currently, I am at a standstill as I figure out the structure: style, layout and scripting for my site. What a TANGLED friggin mess. I am using Drupal. I don't regret it, but let me explain.

Before I started, I thought about simply designing pages from the ground up. But then I realized that I'd have to retrofit a lot of things to them: a content management system for inventory, user login and permissions, a shopping cart storefront. So that's when I abandoned the idea of making thin, streamlined custom pages. And instead I started looking around at CMS systems. Of the major players available, Drupal seemed like the best one with the most appropriate core functions and modules, as well as the deepest user community to go to when I need help.

What I *didn't* realize is how much time I would be spending hunting down extremely small details. Rather than... actually building the site and laying things out the way I want them. I have spent the last WEEK doing this, and don't have much of a site to show for it yet.

This is good, though. What I have is the rudimentary ability to tweak things: customize the css, php, jscript. I couldn't do that a few days ago. Now I can. So that's what I have to show for it, but it sure is slow, hard work. By the time I'm done, I will be a web master and that won't be an exaggeration.

Now the slog of making it all happen... This is a seriously huge challenge. But I get up every day early, and go to bed late working on it. At work, in spare moments, I work on it. I eat lunch at my desk and work on it. I am working on this thing until it looks and behaves the way I want it to. I am not backing out now. I've come too far and I want this thing to work.

ositaability

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 10, 2012
PORT HARCOURT
Now the slog of making it all happen... This is a seriously huge challenge. But I get up every day early, and go to bed late working on it. At work, in spare moments, I work on it. I eat lunch at my desk and work on it. I am working on this thing until it looks and behaves the way I want it to. I am not backing out now. I've come too far and I want this thing to work

Good work mate, reminds me when i was working on my first product.......its almost done, keep it up!!

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
Thanks! I'm not stopping until it's finished. (and then the real work begins on the business aspect of making it fly...LOL... love the journey!)

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
And my little brother just agreed to help out as much as he can. I don't know why, but that is the most inspiring thing to happen so far. I'm PUMPED.

troyfawkes

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 19, 2011
Hey man,

I'm glad you're learning so much as you truck through this :) Drupal's a catastrophe to work with at first, but once you get the hang of it it's very powerful.

I think you can do it :)

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
Neck deep in the Drupal 7 API. OY! Fortunately I can program, but it's still hard to go from 0 to 60 on a new API with a totally weird structure in a limited time. Time is the luxury I no longer have. I relish this challenge. It's either me or the Drupal API, and I am going to win. Some dumb little technology will not get the best of me!

Troy is right - it's a catastrophe, but I'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

As far as time spent, I've been on this thing every day at least 2 hours, usually more like about 6 or 8, in addition to everything else: job, kids, wife, house, bills. If you read about and watch all the inspiration YouTubes on how to become successful, the best ones make it the simplest: every day you need to be banging away on your project. Every day, another brick in your palace.

I get up and code every day. I go to bed after coding and only after my brain just doesn't function anymore. I dream code. I daydream code. I talk code with other code-talkers and anyone else who will listen. When I get distracted, I think about *other* code, and then snap back to the code I really need to be concentrating on. My wife is annoyed at me because I'm distant. My kids ask me every day, so how's your computer program coming along, dad? I just go, it's coming along, boys.

I am trying to find balance, but there is just no way. Not until this first phase is over, maybe I'll step it back just a tad for a week, then jump on Phase 2, which will be building the actual business. But then, I'm sure things will just be starting to heat up. I will be torn between my day job and raising this new baby. And a new real baby on the way...

But these are all good problems.

Gone are the days of feeling lost, no good ideas, no good plan, nothing going on, bored, angstful, feeling like life sucks. That never happens now. Every day, I wake up and I see the mountain of work I have to do, and sometimes I kind of internally tremble in fear at everything I have to do and feel overwhelmed and I have a little fleeting vision of me balling up a piece of paper and throwing it away, symbolizing scrapping my project.

But that makes me laugh because I realize how much STRONGER I am now as a result of everything I'm doing. I can program in a dozen languages. I can take a new API apart in a few days, and get some examples working. I can pick up a new language like I can drive a stick. I can envision something, take it apart, break it down, work out the structure loosely in my mind, and then work on the pieces bit by bit to create something that fits my vision. All while rocking my Bose headphones with some sizzling music. I wouldn't trade this process for ANYTHING. In this sense, the journey is extremely pleasurable. Frustrating, but I am learning to enjoy even that.

It reminds me of how, years ago, I started taking a JuJutsu class for P.E. credit in college. I thought, yeah, this will be fun! Maybe I'll get a different color belt! And then after practicing for a year, I realized, "holy shit I'm about to test for my brown belt." I was about to become an intermediate practitioner of JuJutsu. I could throw, wrestle, lock, evade, choke and lots of different stuff. And then I spent the next 10 years after that as a brown belt. I practiced 3 or 4 times every week for 10 years. I spent every spare moment thinking about girls and martial arts. Then my sensei said, we need to talk about scheduling your black belt test. A few months later, I took my test. This test involved defending myself blindfolded, sword, knife and gun attacks from multiple attackers, and 6 grueling hours of physical exertion, wrestling matches thrown in here and there as a "break," going through 800 different techniques in front of a panel of 5 expert martial artists. And then it was over. I was a black belt, because I showed up. I showed up every week for more than 10 years. I put in the hours. I put in the days, weeks, months, years, a decade of this. I didn't do it for sensei, didn't do it for a black piece of cloth, didn't do it because I needed to know how to kill people or feed my ego. I didn't do it because I'm ambitious. I didn't do it for status.

Do you have any idea what I'm going to say next? Any idea why I did martial arts for more than 10 years?

There was only one reason I did it. I did it, because that's what I do. It's who I am. I show up.

So, THIS... this little website... which I have about 29 more days to complete... This is nothing. I have been through much worse. Even if I never make 1 dollar from this thing, I will be positioned to do it again without the steep upward curve of learning new APIs and programming languages and having to baby step myself through the process.

If you are the type of person who fits this profile of always showing up, then you will make it. The key is to show up. Even on shit days, head is pounding, bills are overdue, wife or husband is bitching you out; that's when you use that negative energy to push yourself on HARDER. Keep going. Don't stop.

Are you gonna show up today?

troyfawkes

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 19, 2011
I talk code with other code-talkers and anyone else who will listen.

Are you gonna show up today?

I'm on Skype about 8 hours/day while I'm programming. Feel free to add me :) PM sent.

I showed up today and I'll show up tomorrow :)

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
Still working it... This is a major task, but I haven't stopped showing up. Every day. Trying not to stress about it either. My deadline is three weeks away. I'm a little nervous that I'll miss it, but I'm pushing hard to get version 1.0 done by the 15th. I'm doing it. I have learned a ton so far, so regardless of outcome, the process has been awesome. More later. No time for waxing poetic.

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
Duuuuude.... Drupal is a fargin disaster. But I'm making headway... I will have a basic site by the 15th, but it falls short, feature-wise. I am not through with it yet, tho. Thanks to some fantastic resources like buildamodule.com, a book called "Drupal 7 Module Development," the lovely and oh-so-user-friendly Drupal API reference [/sarcasm], Google, blood, sweat, cursing and tears, I am approaching my goal... glacially. I feel like Superman on Kryptonite tryin to hack my way through Drupal. But it's coming together. I know more about Drupal than I did a month ago, two months ago when I started. Hell, I know more about Drupal than I did an hour ago, since I just figured some important shit out just now.

The struggle over this software has given me a bunch of ideas for other websites. Mainly now when I go to websites, I immediately see their flaws and I think to myself, how would I do this better? While simultaneously realizing how absolutely difficult it is to implement any of this stuff and make it look good.

As far as difficulty of programming tasks that I've undertaken, this is about a 9. It's good, though. (Learning CUDA was harder)

Later, when I hire Drupal programmers and/or outsource development, I will KNOW what needs to be done and how hard it is to do. I will have perspective and I'll know when I'm being put on or it's going honestly. I'll be able to manage the project and not be in the dark. Plus I'll be able to develop other sites and not have to spend 2 months learning the same basic shit. I can jump right to the advanced stuff.

It's all good. I'll check back in in a few days, right around the 15th to post up the website and get a little early feedback. Cheers, and to all those reading, good luck to you! GET YOUR CODE ON! XD

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Drupal is a fargin disaster.

Very powerful CMS, but yes, the hardest of all of them. Enjoy reading your progress! :urock2:

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
Two days to go for my first deadline. I'll be there, although I will have a new deadline in 1 month for the next round of features. I think the next deadline will be much more realistic, now that I know the software fairly well, and have my development process down pat.

In the meantime, some musings...

As we have all had drilled into our heads, success is about EXECUTION. But what is execution made out of? Execution boils down to PRACTICE. As in "doing." What do you consider your "practice"?

Is it slamming your hand on the alarm clock at 5:45, stumbling downstairs to make coffee, putting on a shirt and tie halfway, stumbling out the door to barely catch the train, sit there like a zombie, read the paper and then ride an elevator 30 floors up and finally plop yourself in the chair in your cubicle to do somebody else's work? Is that your daily meditation? The Matrix? Sounds peaceful and heart-healthy.

Or is it sensing first light and eyes popping open automatically at 5:45 with no alarm clock because you are rarin' to go, so much to do, lots of new work ahead today! Make coffee, get the kids ready, kiss the wife, then plunk down and hop to it, excited, excited, excited to see what happens today. Is that your daily meditation?

I still have a corporate job. I happen to like my day job doing other people's work. It allows me some flexibility to at least think about my entrepreneurial ideas, if not work on them a bit during breaks, and my day job expands my programming skills. It's epidemiology work that I enjoy and it directly contributes back to society. Plus my office mates and bosses are decent human beings whom I enjoy working with.

But, I never lose sight of the reality of that job. It's a job. Just a job. I worked hard to get it, but it's a job. The pay will NEVER exponentiate. I will NEVER become the boss, since I don't have a PhD, and I will NEVER rise up above a certain level in it. Them's the breaks. So, I have no illusions or issues about that job. It's a good job. If I am laying the groundwork correctly, I will be leaving it in a few years to pursue my entrepreneurship full-time. It'll be hard to leave, like cutting the umbilical cord, but I will, as soon as entrepreneurship is providing the correct level of returns. It's all math.

But back to the main topic: practice.

What is the difference between Tiger Woods 2002 and Tiger Woods 2012? Practice. In my opinion, Tiger 2002 didn't have a major knee injury or destroy his great family life or face personal tragedy. Tiger 2012 has turned into Britney Spears and made his entire life toxic. Now, he is back from a few years of intermittent practice and suffering in tournaments now because he cannot practice hard every single day like he used to for years back-to-back.

Tiger went soft. Just listen to him in his love-in press conferences. No more fighting spirit. It's all Zen peaceful crap now. That doesn't win tournaments.

It might be heart-healthy, but it's not Tiger food. It's kitten food. I'm gonna start calling him Kitty until he gets his cannibalistic eat-em-alive Incredible Hulk attitude back. Tigers eat meat, and now he eats mush-meal. Destroyed his family by being an a$$, and now he's struggling.

Tiger 2002 was fresh off a LIFETIME of practice, like 20 years of it, because his dad stuck a putter in his hand before his 1st birthday, and a driver as soon as he could swing. Tiger 2012 COULD be like Tiger 2002 again, but, to my point, it will take consistent PRACTICE.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

And he's barely started doing that again last year. So the jury is still out. I won't hold my breath. Don't you be like that. Learn from Tiger Woods both what to do and what not to do.

So, what is my practice? Every day, besides the basics, I do two things without fail. It's so ingrained in me that I cannot deviate and I will feel less-than-whole if I skip them.

1. I code.
If I'm on vacation and don't have my computer, I have a book and I'm reading about code, thinking about techniques, thinking about stuff, learning new functions.

2. I cook.
Every day, I think about food and cooking it and sharing it. I love to cook. My challenge lately has been to cook great food, but reduce the fat content and eliminate processed materials. To cook as well as possible while being as healthful as possible. I am always looking at new recipes, thinking about new sauces, new presentations, new ways to do great things in the kitchen.

I do other stuff too, like work outside, build things, etc etc. But as for my PRACTICE, those two things are it.
EVERY DAY.

I practice that stuff every single day without fail. They have become entwined with my spinal cord: coding and food. That's why I'm doing this particular website, because it's both of those things put together. Not just a passion, but a daily practice.

If you don't have a practice, but you want one, I have a little advice. Time to go sit on a rock. Really appreciate yourself. Be thankful that you have a brain and an able body. Be thankful to God or the Universe or Jesus Christ or Buddha, whatever you believe in, that you were given the gift of this life.

Then appreciate what your true talents are. Things that you are known for. Or if you're not known, then things that you know about yourself. They could be small things, like, for example, that you have great balance. Or you know baseball stats like a robot spitting facts. Or you can bench 400. Or you love collecting stamps. It doesn't matter WHAT, just that you know what it is.

Then, ask yourself if it's something that already is or can directly contribute to a daily practice. For example, great balance might not directly contribute to something that you want to turn into a daily practice, but Tai Chi might be, and that requires balance. Dancing. Gymnastics. Or circus work on a tightrope. Any of those things could become a daily practice.

Or baseball stats: a website devoted to your peculiar understandings about the sport, with articles you write and post up. Your perspective is unique, so put new teams together, like in Moneyball, and explain why. Or look for never-before-seen patterns in the stats and explain your theories in humorous articles. Your column might get picked up by SI... but regardless, it could be your daily practice to write the stuff.

Or fitness. If you can bench 400, you probably know a few things that could help other guys learn how to bench that much. And you probably know a thing or two about fitness. I can think of a million ways to turn that into a daily practice.

Or stamps - you could make yourself into the world's leading authority on rare stamps and start a blog and store buying & selling them. If you know a lot about stamps, then you probably are a bit of a history buff. So you could write some interesting articles on the meaning behind a stamp, and little-known stories about all kinds of related history. Stuff that goes beyond the basic "upside down airplane" story, and delves deep into the history of these mysterious artifacts and the lives of the people behind them. That could be new and fresh every single day, as a practice.

Then the last step, as you are still sitting on your rock, is to get creative and think about ways to monetize it. HOW would you turn great balance/Tai Chi/Tightrope-walking into something with a mass-audience? HOW would you turn your personal style of baseball facts/fitness/stamps/[insert-your-talent-here] into something with a mass-audience? What OTHER skills would you need to incorporate into your daily practice in order to make some money with your God-given talents? How would you take your talents and IMPACT MILLIONS?

Think about what I wrote up top. For me it's not just cooking. It's also coding. It's not just cooking: it's also programming. It's a fun combination of skill-building that I do every day.

You might not need a combination. You might be a fantastic singer, and that's all you ever need. You are so good at singing that you just get gig after gig and the thing snowballs into a multimillion-dollar career. GREAT!

I'm talking about for the people still casting around looking for a magical life. Life is the magic you make it. Often, these things come in combinations. And often you have to create your own luck. Often by taking one innate talent and combining it with something else that you have to work at. But you PRACTICE IT EVERY DAY.

Maybe you're a decent singer, but haven't been lucky to hit it big. But you know that you can get the business skills and smarts to market yourself. Or hook yourself up with a band and work the publicity, and snowball it up into something big that way. And continue your daily practice of singing and learning the biz.

So, to recap, these are the things to do if you are still looking for a daily practice. Go "sit on a rock" and
1. Be thankful for the opportunity.
2. Appreciate what your true innate talents are.
3. Think about ways to monetize it, and if you need other skills towards that end. Make a plan for what your daily practice is going to be. Keep it simple, but you might need to employ a combination. And finally, most importantly,
4. Do it every day, without fail.

Every day practice. Every day practice.

For me, that's: get up and code. Code for breakfast. Code for lunch. Code the afternoon away, and code all evening. Take a break, cook dinner, hang out with the wife and kids. Then code some more. I eat this shit up. I LOVE IT. LOVE TO CODE. Some people like Soduku. I love to program. I love to cook.

Whatever you love to do, jump on it. Do it! And if you don't know what that is yet, your responsibility as a human being is to find out what it is. And then to do it every single day without fail. I hope my plan for sitting on a rock is helpful to you.

Best wishes! And here's to our success! *raises coffee mug*

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
OK, here it is. Thanks for being patient. Take a look, let me know what you think.

I'M STILL WORKING ON FUNCTIONALITY… so don't be surprised if nothing really works. But the basic structure is coming together.

MY SINCERE THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

cooks4.us

Next goal: March 31st. Full functionality.

WalterBellhaven

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 12, 2012
Southern California
I know you're still working on it, so I won't comment on functionality, but design-wise, you will want to work on making the site less wide - my monitor is 1680px wide, and I have to scroll right to see everything. Avoid left-right scrolling if at all possible. I'd also change the colors - black text on dark red is hard to see. I think the same off-white color in your menu text would be good to use in the body.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
I totally agree about changing the colors. I like the look but not being able to see colors very well when they are close it is very hard to read. Left/Right scrolling is annoying too but I can deal with that if I can read it. Like anything it needs some tweaking but I like what you have done so far. Is your site going to be available everywhere or just in specific locations? I like how you have it set up for people to create their own accounts too.

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
Excellent feedback, guys, thank you!

I'm using a liquid layout, which is different than most websites because it's supposed to adjust its layout to the screen, but not supposed to cause left-right scrolling. So that is really interesting feedback. I'm on a Mac, using Safari and Chrome and it behaves. What platforms are you using? I definitely need to spend lots of time testing.

Second issue on the black font: very good point. I'll switch to the cream color. You are 100% correct.

The site is intended to be everywhere, but naturally since I'm starting out, I will have to be in specific locations first. I am in New England and am working on lining up chefs in my area. I already have one chef in California, and I'm working with him to get his stuff up there as my Guinea pig bold explorer.

All great feedback. I gave myself until March 31st for completing full basic functionality. Then, you'll be able to move around more in the site, look at what's on the menu, order some food. Soon, and thanks. I will incorporate those suggestions.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Great Progress so far. One Suggestion though. Before you go any further, read a book called "Ca$hvertising" by Drew Eric Whitman. It will help you pick the right color schemes, fonts, etc... Right now it's not too appealing to the eye and not the easiest to read. The books a fairly short book but it could help you out big time.

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
Thanks - 200 pages, no big deal and it looks like a good book. As you can see, I am a nerd, not an ad designer! :) Thanks!

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
The concept seems like a good idea to me. How do you work out pricing for people buying meals and what you and the chefs get paid?

WalterBellhaven

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 12, 2012
Southern California
What platforms are you using?

I was using Firefox on Win 7 yesterday. Today I tried out FF, Chrome, and IE on Win XP Pro, and they all had the same issue. There's no content off to the right, just background, but the dark red box expands with the window size and has a constant background offset to the right. I.e. if my browser window is half the screen, the dark red box goes to the edge and there are a couple inches of background off to the right, and when I maximize the browser, the dark red box expands to the edge and there are still a couple inches of background off to the right. Also, in IE 8 the text in the red box ("Cook4.us is your local source...") doesn't wrap - it goes off the edge of the page. An unfortunate aspect of web design - IE doesn't work like most other browsers, but a majority or plurality of your users will be using it.

One good source for web design is Jakob Nielsen's useit.com. Despite that his site's design is rather...basic...he has good ideas and lots of free articles. I've also been wanting to buy this SitePoint Web Design book ($19 on AppSumo vs. $30 on SitePoint), but I can't vouch for it.

Let me know if your CA chef is in LA - I'll hit him up the next time my better half is out of town!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.