The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Authorpreneur in the Making. Goal - The Unscripted Life.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

aum

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 30, 2019
Day 38 - Took a day off

Day 39 - Added 500 words to the draft. Can say this too was more like a day off.

There is a reason I have slowed down.

I have been questioning what I have learned so far in the author business.

"Keep publishing more books." That's the usual mantra.

And so far I have been mindlessly trying to go that route.

But at the back of my mind, I had to ask myself, how is it that writing a book with a certain deadline, marketing it and then simultaneously beginning to write another, fits into the author business model?

If I just keep writing one book after another, with some marketing here and there, without a clear vision and aim, I am probably shooting arrows in the dark.

I am leaning more towards the idea of taking a little more time, do my best work with the book I a working on, and then put all my resources behind it, until I reach a certain goal with it, in terms of a fanbase and income.

The plan is something like this:

Publish ONE book with a goal in mind.

1. Get professional editing/proofing done.
2. Get a professionally done cover.
3. Have beta readers before launch.
4. Publish the book, in Kindle, Paperback and Audible.
5. Publish on other platforms like Kobo etc.
6. Promote the heck out of the book, with a goal of let's say getting 1000 email subscribers and USD10,000 in income from it. (Won't be paid advertising for the most part.)
7. Now that I have proven model, and a fanbase, it makes sense to go write another book.

I will have learned the necessary skills to reach readers, and it wouldn't be an understatement if I said that some of the top best selling books out there are not really the best books, but they got their marketing right, and that's what makes all the difference.

While I am not interested in writing poor content, I also don't want to be one of those hidden goldmines in the publishing jungle.

This way, I don't have to worry about the cost of producing the next book, nor wonder, when will I finally make it as an author!

Plus having a fanbase -- email list, ensures I have an audience to reach to for stuff like beta reading, reviews, feedback and more.

Just writing a good book, putting some marketing behind it, and moving on to write another "hoping" one day it will all come together makes no sense.

A little research on authors in the similar niche, appears to validate the above.

The less is more approach seems to be more apt. And I say this with complete awareness of the fact, that the general idea is that the more successful authors have a decent backlist. But I am willing to differ from that approach.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I am leaning more towards the idea of taking a little more time, do my best work with the book I a working on, and then put all my resources behind it, until I reach a certain goal with it, in terms of a fanbase and income.

It sounds beautiful in theory. In reality, those who win with one book only already have an established audience (for example, Atomic Habits by James Clear).

Those without an established audience will most likely fail with this approach unless you're a marketing genius. But then you'd have to spend months, if not years, building your personal brand, and during this time you might as well learn more by writing more books.

Or maybe not. The industry is so confusing now that I'm not sure what to think about it anymore other than now it seems it mostly favors household names which, statistically, neither you nor me will probably ever become.

aum

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 30, 2019
It sounds beautiful in theory. In reality, those who win with one book only already have an established audience (for example, Atomic Habits by James Clear).

Those without an established audience will most likely fail with this approach unless you're a marketing genius. But then you'd have to spend months, if not years, building your personal brand, and during this time you might as well learn more by writing more books.

Or maybe not. The industry is so confusing now that I'm not sure what to think about it anymore other than now it seems it mostly favors household names which, statistically, neither you nor me will probably ever become.

I can see from your view point, and there are two reasons why writing more books could be essential, for one, no amount of research can result in an accurate prediction of how a book will do, it is eventually for the market to decide that?

Did this happen with you? That you wrote several books, expected one to do well, and instead it was some other book that took off?

Secondly, when no one knows you, you can have a hard time getting them to buy your book?

Although when I ask myself that question, I feel, it depends on the type of book, if the book talks about solving a problem I need to desperately solve, I don't care who wrote it, as long as I can get a solution that works.

"Or maybe not. The industry is so confusing now that I'm not sure what to think about it anymore other than now it seems it mostly favors household names which, statistically, neither you nor me will probably ever become."

Had no idea that was happening, looks like tough times are ahead.

I guess one has to just do their best.

Thanks for reaching out and providing your insight, it is much appreciated.

Cheers!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Did this happen with you? That you wrote several books, expected one to do well, and instead it was some other book that took off?

I've never heard of an author who correctly predicted which of their books would do well.

aum

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 30, 2019
Day 40:

I have reviewed the idea of just writing One Book, and thanks to MTF it sure isn't the best route for a writer.

It could be a good idea for those who just want to publish a book for credibility in whatever else they are doing.

But for someone like me who is aiming at Authorpreneurship - where majority of the income comes from books, it will be important to write more than just a few books.

It would make no sense to sit with a book, try to get worked up about making X amount of money with it, where instead you could just go on to writer another book, have fun with it, and do the required marketing.

A self-published author has to do marketing, but should not forget that his primary task is writing.

In terms of production, I spent about 2 hours, figuring a title and headline (subtitle) for the book.

Quite close to finishing the first draft.

aum

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 30, 2019
Day 41

Had a slow start to the day, but ended up with a 1000 words.

In between, did more research, as I add more chapters. Love the fact that you get to learn so much, and that can have a positive impact on your life beyond $

On another note, for fitness, I've started doing Qigong and it feels wonderful.

That will be it for today.

Peace

aum

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 30, 2019
Day 42 - Wasted my time looking at some other biz model!

Day 43 - Almost thought of giving up on the Author business, because this other business seemed more appealing.

But came back to my senses, wrote about 1000 words and called it a day.

I learned something valuable today:

-When you start a new venture, and want to focus on it alone, there will be all kinds of distractions, doubts will come and so will opportunities that seem better than what you're currently working on. Your work will be to stay put. And not be drawn away by these momentary storms.

"Focusing is about saying no". -Steve Jobs

I did just that today, said no to another opportunity that looked promising.

aum

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 30, 2019
Quick update:

No execution happening at this time, spending some quality time with the family.

Wish you guys Happy Holidays! And The best for the coming year.

Yes, we're all striving for more financial freedom, a better life and an exit from the 9-5.

But at the end of the day, you don't need none of that to be happy.

True happiness doesn't depend on conditions at all.

In fact, one of my favourite authors, Vernon Howard, says, "Being unhappy is a bad habit that you have picked up."

No matter the circumstances, slowlane or fastlane, or no lane, don't matter, what matters is to cheer up and be present with each moment.

That is all there is.

The moment.

Enjoy it.

Once again, have a good one! And I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Cheers!

aum

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 30, 2019
Change

Instead of posting daily, I am switching over to a monthly post.

I will update this thread in the last week of the month.

In between I might make a drop in if I have something important to add to this thread.

So the next post will be in the last week of January. Cya

aum

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 30, 2019
Monthly Update: January 2020

I am still writing the first book I started working on in December.

There has been a lot of procrastination, diversion & challenges so far.

Things haven't panned out as I thought they would, but I am here, still keeping my focus on hitting publish.

With that said, I have also made some breakthroughs which I believe will play a significant role in my publishing efforts from this point on.

So while times have been tough, they have also been quite interesting.

Wishing you grit and enthusiasm towards your pursuit of freedom.

Cheers!

aum

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 30, 2019
Monthly Update February 2020:

Published 1 Short Book. 3k Words.

I found that I was getting stuck with the 20k word book, so decided to write a quick short guide and publish it to get things going. Sure felt good!

It was a roller coaster ride this month, I found myself wanting to start working -- "do a job remotely" to fund the business etc.

I was dealing with the fear of not making money, I guess I wasn't still over the habit of getting a paycheck each month.

I eventually opted out of that idea, and have decided to go on a 3 month money fast.

Which means, for the next 3 months, I will write and not worry about whether I will make any money from my books or not. I am aware that I have been over thinking, and there is still work to do in terms of my mindset.

But to sum it up, I realize, I need to shut up and do the work.

That is all for now.

My target for March is to publish the 20k book for which the first draft is already done.

aum

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 30, 2019
Monthly Update: March 2020

Still working on the book. Got distracted for obvious reasons -- I don't even want to talk about, since everyone is already talking about it.

It sure got harder this month, but I have been able to get myself together and get going.

From all that is happening in the world, I could only learn one lesson -- there is no point worrying.

Obviously, take all precautions, but other than that, nothing more to say.

I wish I had more exciting news.

On another note, I was distracted, still had an itch to start some side gig to make quick cash etc.

It has been hard to not think about how to get $ rolling in quickly. But I am working on letting go of the fear of failure.

Not sure, if you guys read MJ's short book he released. It's a good quick read.

That is all for now! Hoping to publish the book soon.

Cheers!

aum

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 30, 2019
I've been missing from the scene for a while. Did get distracted and off track for sometime.

I am back here now.

While I was working on my second book since I quit my job, I never got to complete it.

Not even until today. I picked a difficult topic, that in spite of several hours of research, I wasn't confident that it was good enough.

But the good news is, I've finally got a grip on it, and will be able to finish the project soon.

So what was I doing all this while? Frankly, I was trying to create some other kind of a side business, but I failed.

I also tried to apply for jobs, but soon realized, I didn't want to do that, so I backtracked.

In a way, I am back to square one, and quite happy to be focusing on publishing.

To get things going, I just wrote a short book, around 3k words, and published it.

What a feeling it is, to finally publish something!

I have a few more topics lined up, which I can quickly write, and publish.

So that's what I will be doing next.

Will keep you posted.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
To get things going, I just wrote a short book, around 3k words, and published it.

I think that you are wasting your time with 3k "books." This is not a book; it's just a long article. I have a blog post on my company's blog that 5k words and it's still way too short to be published as a book.

Focus more on quality and book-worthy content. You won't go far with this approach even if it's just to "get things going."

I'm sorry if I sound harsh but I see that you've been trying since November so you do have the self-discipline to keep going; you just need to focus on writing good stuff that you can sell.

Use the 3k words as a chapter in a longer book (at the very least 10-15k words). What you published probably won't even sell, may piss people off, and maybe even get you a warning from Amazon.

aum

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 30, 2019
I think that you are wasting your time with 3k "books." This is not a book; it's just a long article. I have a blog post on my company's blog that 5k words and it's still way too short to be published as a book.

Focus more on quality and book-worthy content. You won't go far with this approach even if it's just to "get things going."

I'm sorry if I sound harsh but I see that you've been trying since November so you do have the self-discipline to keep going; you just need to focus on writing good stuff that you can sell.

Use the 3k words as a chapter in a longer book (at the very least 10-15k words). What you published probably won't even sell, may piss people off, and maybe even get you a warning from Amazon.

Totally agree. I didn't much like the idea myself, but thought of experimenting. I see my error though, it's not about me at all, it's about the reader. Only when I serve them best will I win. Short books no matter how well written can give an impression that I am out there to make some quick bucks. Which isn't true.

I will do as advised, and see to it that my shortest book is not less than 10k words.

Your timely input is quite valuable and much appreciated, thanks for pitching in!

Cheers!

Dont waste time

PARKED
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 23, 2022
Totally agree. I didn't much like the idea myself, but thought of experimenting. I see my error though, it's not about me at all, it's about the reader. Only when I serve them best will I win. Short books no matter how well written can give an impression that I am out there to make some quick bucks. Which isn't true.

I will do as advised, and see to it that my shortest book is not less than 10k words.

Your timely input is quite valuable and much appreciated, thanks for pitching in!

Cheers!
How are you doing rn?

pavan_k

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Apr 28, 2023

Cheers!
Is everything alright ? How's the journey going ?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.