The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To KDP Select Or Not - That Is The Question (for authorpreneurs)

Marketing, social media, advertising

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I am just about to do the soft launch of my book and I'll be mainly e-publishing it. I have looked at the pros and cons of joining the KDP Select program but I still can't work out if I should do it or not.

I understand about getting access to the extra features, countdowns, discounts and promotions, etc. However, I'm wondering if the 90-day exclusivity will come back to haunt me. That feels like a long time to not be able to sell my book on my own website or anywhere else for that matter. But on the other hand, I can just set and forget as I work on my next book.

So, as the title says, I want to know if other authorpreneurs have gone this route with their first, or indeed any of their books and what they feel about the whole shebang.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Shrimpfriedrice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Sep 6, 2022
Atlanta, GA
I am just about to do the soft launch of my book and I'll be mainly e-publishing it. I have looked at the pros and cons of joining the KDP Select program but I still can't work out if I should do it or not.

I understand about getting access to the extra features, countdowns, discounts and promotions, etc. However, I'm wondering if the 90-day exclusivity will come back to haunt me. That feels like a long time to not be able to sell my book on my own website or anywhere else for that matter. But on the other hand, I can just set and forget as I work on my next book.

So, as the title says, I want to know if other authorpreneurs have gone this route with their first, or indeed any of their books and what they feel about the whole shebang.
Authorpreneur here.

Amazon sells 95% of all books. The exclusivity is worth it unless you start selling your eBooks in bulk quantities elsewhere. I sell ebooks on Draft2Digital (one of the biggest eBook consolidators) and Ingram Spark, and they sell 1-2 books a month compared to the 30-50 books sold per month (Ebook only) on Amazon.

The reason I don't do KDP select anymore was because online retailers outside of Amazon wanted to sell my book. They have a lot of specialized traffic in my niche, so I figured it try it. For me, it's been a wash. I'd start with Kdp select, and only if the numbers justify it, take it off.

If other authorpreneurs have had different experiences I'd love to know.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Authorpreneur here.

Amazon sells 95% of all books. The exclusivity is worth it unless you start selling your eBooks in bulk quantities elsewhere. I sell ebooks on Draft2Digital (one of the biggest eBook consolidators) and Ingram Spark, and they sell 1-2 books a month compared to the 30-50 books sold per month (Ebook only) on Amazon.

The reason I don't do KDP select anymore was because online retailers outside of Amazon wanted to sell my book. They have a lot of specialized traffic in my niche, so I figured it try it. For me, it's been a wash. I'd start with Kdp select, and only if the numbers justify it, take it off.

If other authorpreneurs have had different experiences I'd love to know.

Thanks, that's some really solid advice there. I had thought it would be like this but wasn't sure. That's amazing to hear about your selling ratios; I guess KDP it is then!

Are you fiction, non-fiction, or both?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.