The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Attractive Nuisances - Avoiding Shiny Object Syndrome

How many opportunities do you give up each week?

• Total voters

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
One of the things that came up this morning at breakfast was the posters, stickers, that are going up all over West Hollywood. The pride flag with the snake on it, and underneath it reads “#ShootBack". And I thought, being the entrepreneur that I am, "Those T-shirts are going to sell like crazy this summer. I wonder if shootback.com is available? How can I get the T-shirts made up fast - this week?"

2rzbLCsm.jpg

And then I thought, "This is an attractive nuisance. If I were like Perez Hilton, I would need to be on top of every new fad and news article that came along. I'm not good at that. I don't want to do that. My skills are in the technical arena."

When I was on the track team in high school, we would chant "Eyes on the prize! Eyes on the prize!" Well, the prize is different for all of us now. I'm not the person to note a trend and take advantage of it. I'm not the gold miner, I'm the one who sells shovels.

I guess my point with this post is to make sure that we are aware of the attractive nuisances, and stay away from them.

On the other hand, if someone is interested, that website expired a year ago.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Forgive my ignorance, but why not jump on the opportunity? I understand the "sell shovels" point, but why pass?
I actually had to google nuisance to understand your post better, ha

G

GuestUserX09

Lol I caught myself about to buy the domain.

Yeah, I get your point. I think we all pass opportunities since they "don't fit" us really.

But thinking about it more, it may ultimately help a lot more than it hurts.

I would buy the domain, and set up an e-commerce store selling shirts, wristbands and hats.

Really, if you're not going for it, let me know. I'll hook up it up and running for fun in just a few days just so we can all see what happens.

But to your point, yeah I notice stuff like this personally and pass up on it all time time because it's "not what I do". I don't think it's always the best move. I'd hop on this one asap, just for kicks.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
I almost got caught into it when the Birdman "put some respek on my name" thing came about lol . Glad i didnt jump on it cus it died out just as fast as it blew up

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
I worked in tv.. my job WAS (not is) selling more TV to people.

Game of thrones came out, and ...uh.
How do I say this without spoilers?

Someone dies.

The Internet went freaking bonkers with people crying,complaining,debating on if this character is really dead or not.

I seriously thought of making isNAMEdead.com
And setting bets. Pay for your vote, whenever the heck people figure it out cash out to the winning bet. (Yes or no)

And I had a golden opportunity. My entire job was selling tv, how easy would it be to mention the site to the people already talking about the subject?

I was on the page, about to buy when I realized
"Bloody hell. I don't want this in my portfolio! "

Hey. Buy it. Sell water and paintball guns.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.