The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

At my wits end

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
So about 2 yrs ago I launched my product Safe to handle. It was a success and a failure My success was learning how to put a product together from conception to selling it. I sold about 500 units to many different stores including many Ace Hardware stores. The problem is I have not gotten any re-orders and I currently have about 1500 units left. I have not been able to move the rest and I think I am at a point where I need to move them as fast as I can and work on some other projects. I have tried all types of hardware stores, BBQ accessory places and appliance stores as well as a few closeout stores. The best offer I have is from a closeout store who will give me .50 per unit. I need .92 to break even so if I go with them it's a lose money wise. I just hate giving up but I think there is a time to know when to move on.

I thought I would post here hoping that maybe somebody could come up with an idea for the stock I have left so I could at least break even. Also I thought it might be a good conversion about what you do when things don't go the way you hope. My website is in my sig if you want to take a look at the product.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CigarMan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Mar 24, 2013
Do you have a upc code? Ship them to Amazon and they will sell and ship them for you...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Do you have a upc code? Ship them to Amazon and they will sell and ship them for you...

Great suggestion ... get 'em on Amazon and see how it goes. If they sell here and there, send over a bunch to FBA and let them take care of the rest. That would be mostly 95% hands-off.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
I do have a UPC code and was thinking of selling them on Amazon, but I did a search for BBQ accessories and got back 8700 results. I think my product will get lost there unless you know the name and are looking for it. I don't see how FBA can help me. I don't have an issue with storing or shipping. I have an issue with finding a customer.

CigarMan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Mar 24, 2013
I do have a UPC code and was thinking of selling them on Amazon, but I did a search for BBQ accessories and got back 8700 results. I think my product will get lost there unless you know the name and are looking for it. I don't see how FBA can help me. I don't have an issue with storing or shipping. I have an issue with finding a customer.

Your right... 8700 items and there is no more room for 1 more product, right? :bgh:

Did you ever stop to think... are there 8700 products for a reason?

Unlike most other sellers you want to liquidate your inventory so you can break even, customers love a great deal. The only way to know is to try..

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Do you have a trademark on the brand name or is any aspect of this proprietary?

ableme

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 20, 2013
CT, USA

Expand your customer base?

Rather than target just BBQ handle cover, why not expand it into mini oven mitts or pan holders, pot holders, and other related products? I realize your packaging is targeted to BBQ grills, but you could always just ship in a plastic bag with a UPC on it? But I would give Amazon FBA a go regardless.

Good luck!

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
Have you tried contacting FiveBelow? you may be able to get them to agree to your break even point, although it is a bit of an arduous process. I wish I could provide you with a contact there, but I lost a lot of my contacts when I left my job. Good Luck.

Not to poach the thread, but I am in a similar-ish situation: I have been buying and flipping iphones, the iphone 4S has just had a SEVERE price drop on ebay recently, and I have not been able to recover very well. I'd like to still make some profit on these phones. This is a first for me with the value of an item dropping nearly 20% in two weeks. I have contacted a few previous buyers to see if they would like to purchase direct from me, at a discount to avoid ebay fees, but none have written back. I cannot decide if I should stay the course or liquidate while i still can. suggestions?

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I dont know anything about this niche but I am 100% certain that if there is something similar selling on amazon that you could sell yours. It may require a little ingenuity on your part but if this solves a legit need you can definitely move them on amazon.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Wow, you have a totally backwards thinking here.

So there are 8700 BBQ handle covers on Amazon? I bet there are not.
If there were 8700 BBQ handle covers means that people want them. That should not have been a deterrent.
FBA would help you immensely, can you offer free shipping? $3.99 next day shipping? free 2 day shipping?
Amazon has millions of customers everyday.
The object is to get your product seen somehow. Nobody will know it by name obviously but they may see it in a search.
I think your issue is that your thinking is so narrow that you may have missed a bunch of opportunities.

All4mygirlsamci

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 12, 2013
I didn't find your product on Amazon or Ebay why aren't you using those sales channels? Also going to your site me as a consumer I wouldn't order from there. I'm not experienced like the others above but from a consumers view not trying to be mean, the way your site looks it's not well put together and I immediately think scam. Here are mistakes I found (Never Leave a barbecue unattended when in use) I'm not sure if you meant barbecue grill. And the other is you spelled Distributor wrong not sure if that plays any part if you send potential clients there but just thought i'd point it out.

Hope your sales pick up GL!!!!

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
Amazon, ebay, and a update to your website could all help you. Are you getting traffic to your site but just not getting conversions? I would do a simple redesign and pay someone to write some copy for you to get conversions up.

Also, Amazon FBA is not just for hands off fulfillment but it gives your product value to the customer with the Amazon prime account as well as cheap, fast shipping. Personally I don't normally buy something off of amazon that is not FBA as the delivery date is guaranteed and I don't have to deal with a third party vendor.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Thanks for all the input everybody. I will fix the errors on the website asap. I have tried selling to five below and they took a pass, I have the contact if you need it. I will try to open up my channels of selling to other types of uses. I did not say there were 8700 handle covers on Amazon, just bbq accessories but you are right I should at least give it a go. I do usually sell some on Ebay, just did not have a chance to post any yet for this season. I just got a small test order from a store called Benny's, they are in the MA area. They ordered 240 units to try out in 10 stores and if things go well they will order for all 30 stores. I just need a few more hit like this. Thanks again everybody and keep the ideas coming.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Damn it. I was going to buy you out (as any good vulture would) but these guys got you moving in the right direction! I would buy your inventory today for slightly higher than the closeout offer you got. Let me know if you would just prefer to sell the inventory, the web site, the supply chain, the idea, and the brand name and just move on. I can get you close to your cost price.

If I were you, I would keep it. But, if I were me, I would buy it (try and steal it, actually, which is what the .50 cent offer is) and make it successful. Because your idea is good and it CAN be made successful.

If you want to dump it, let me know. I would give you .75 cents per unit for all of the above, but only if we do a deal in the next day or two. 50% more than the closeout offer you received. Offer expires Friday.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
Also, I know that you are trying to sell the inventory that you have now but I would also look possibly some samples in some vibrant colors as well. People respond to colors very well. Look at what the best selling patio furniture is and take a note as to what color the cushions are. I have been seeing a lot of reds and oranges.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
If you want to dump it, let me know. I would give you .75 cents per unit for all of the above, but only if we do a deal in the next day or two. 50% more than the closeout offer you received. Offer expires Friday.

I can't sell the whole business for what you are offering. Lets talk about options and see if we can work something out.

Carny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 20, 2013
I'll give you 80 cents per unit.

And I'm sure it's an honest mistake, but I'm offering almost 107 times more than vigilante with his .75 cent offer, lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.