The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Assessing need / market validation for new physical product

Aaron_FF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 8, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have an idea for a physical product and am in the process of assessing need/doing market validation. Many versions of this product exist already and the TAM is about 50-100 million people, however there is a problem customers have (and that I had myself) that none of the existing options solve.

My idea (if executed correctly) would solve this problem and also be an improvement over existing alternatives. Currently I'm trying to gauge how common this problem is to determine whether the idea is worth taking further. So far I have:
  • Asked ~5 people I know in person about this idea, they all think it's good
  • Found ~30 instances online of people complaining about the problem my product would solve (and several asking for the specific solution I would provide)
  • Found ~15 instances online of people complaining about a problem that looks like (but is not for certain) the problem my product would solve
  • Went to the store where existing products are sold and spoke with 2 employees about this problem, but this didn't yield much useful information. I'm planning to do this again.
So I have three questions:

1) Is 30-50 instances of people complaining about a problem online out of a TAM of 50-100 million a relevant number or is it way too few?

2) I'm thinking of creating a sales page with a mockup image of the product and directing paid traffic to it - people could click to order but it would say "Sold Out" or "Coming Soon". Does anyone have thoughts on the utility or effectiveness of this strategy?

3) Any further advice or recommendations for assessing demand / need?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
1) Is 30-50 instances of people complaining about a problem online out of a TAM of 50-100 million a relevant number or is it way too few?

Sounds like plenty. What does your gut say about how impactful this change will be? Enough of a change that people will be ripping out their wallets?

I'm thinking of creating a sales page with a mockup image of the product and directing paid traffic to it - people could click to order but it would say "Sold Out" or "Coming Soon". Does anyone have thoughts on the utility or effectiveness of this strategy?

Sure, it’d give you a good idea. A better use of your time may be just developing a prototype and giving it a go. You seem to have a decent amount of validation.

Last edited:

Aaron_FF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 8, 2018
Sounds like plenty. What does your gut say about how impactful this change will be? Enough of a change that people will be ripping out their wallets?

My product is an accessory to an existing product (that is not going away anytime soon). I imagine that people who already own this accessory wouldn't necessarily buy my improved version (although they might) but people who were buying for the first time certainly would.

Sure, it’d give you a good idea. A better use of your time may be just developing a prototype and giving it a go. You seem to have a decent amount of validation.

I'd thought about this too, my only hesitation is that developing and iterating a prototype could be quite expensive and I don't have that much capital at my disposal. However, if you think this is a good amount of validation, that's good to know. Thanks for the reply!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
  • Went to the store where existing products are sold and spoke with 2 employees about this problem, but this didn't yield much useful information. I'm planning to do this again.

Did you buy these products to test them out?

Seth G.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 30, 2018
Tri-State Area
My product is an accessory to an existing product (that is not going away anytime soon)

Generally speaking, you probably don't need to be too afraid to share specifics on this forum. Mostly good people so far it seems.

Plus, if posting your idea on a forum means anyone can steal it from under you with ease, may want to consider how to raise the barrier to entry ;)

That being said, the other thing I'd say is that you should trust your gut on this one. If you think it's worth a go, give it a go. Worst case, nada. Best case, millions of value vouchers.

As for prototyping (engineer here), prototyping can typically be done a lot more cheaply than you might think. There are engineering firms that specialize in prototyping (if your idea is pretty technical).

If it isn't super technical, you may be able to do as @amp0193 recommends and make a prototype yourself and refine it.

The mock sales page is a decent idea, but you may run into the issue of people wanting it and you not having it on hand. Digital renderings of said prototype can be nice, but might take almost as long as a real prototype to get right.

Keep Going.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Generally speaking, you probably don't need to be too afraid to share specifics on this forum. Mostly good people so far it seems.

Plus, if posting your idea on a forum means anyone can steal it from under you with ease, may want to consider how to raise the barrier to entry ;)

That being said, the other thing I'd say is that you should trust your gut on this one. If you think it's worth a go, give it a go. Worst case, nada. Best case, millions of value vouchers.

As for prototyping (engineer here), prototyping can typically be done a lot more cheaply than you might think. There are engineering firms that specialize in prototyping (if your idea is pretty technical).

If it isn't super technical, you may be able to do as @amp0193 recommends and make a prototype yourself and refine it.

The mock sales page is a decent idea, but you may run into the issue of people wanting it and you not having it on hand. Digital renderings of said prototype can be nice, but might take almost as long as a real prototype to get right.

Keep Going.

The public part of this forum is indexed by Google.

I'm thinking of creating a sales page with a mockup image of the product and directing paid traffic to it - people could click to order but it would say "Sold Out" or "Coming Soon". Does anyone have thoughts on the utility or effectiveness of this strategy?

That would be the perfect moment to change that CTA to something like "Notify me when back in stock" and build a hot leads mailing list.

You will not only get Google Analytics stats, but also build a mailing list with a potentially high rate of conversion!

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga
Hi everyone,

I have an idea for a physical product and am in the process of assessing need/doing market validation. Many versions of this product exist already and the TAM is about 50-100 million people, however there is a problem customers have (and that I had myself) that none of the existing options solve.

My idea (if executed correctly) would solve this problem and also be an improvement over existing alternatives. Currently I'm trying to gauge how common this problem is to determine whether the idea is worth taking further. So far I have:
  • Asked ~5 people I know in person about this idea, they all think it's good
  • Found ~30 instances online of people complaining about the problem my product would solve (and several asking for the specific solution I would provide)
  • Found ~15 instances online of people complaining about a problem that looks like (but is not for certain) the problem my product would solve
So I have three questions:

2) I'm thinking of creating a sales page with a mockup image of the product and directing paid traffic to it - people could click to order but it would say "Sold Out" or "Coming Soon". Does anyone have thoughts on the utility or effectiveness of this strategy?

3) Any further advice or recommendations for assessing demand / need?

Thanks!
I could have written this post myself! Exactly the same question.

I wasn't sure whether to go ahead amd pay someone on fiverr to make an illustration and use it on a homepage or go ahead and pay $$$ for a prototype.

Hard to know which is the best option when you're strapped for cash!

My product is a sex toy accessory!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.