The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ask Me Anything About Buying Mobile Media

frieden70

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 24, 2012
Hey Gang,

In an effort to give some value back to this forum, I thought the best way that I could do that is providing any help for people on a subject that I know pretty well, mobile advertising.

For a quick background on me, I've been buying media since 2008 and have spent the past 8 months or so with fairly large advertising budgets in mobile (mid 5 figures monthly).

With the internet moving to mobile, I'd imagine there's a few folks out there interested in how to advertise on mobile so hopefully, I can help with that.

So, if you have any questions on buying mobile media, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SportsFan438

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Feb 24, 2012
So, if you have any questions on buying mobile media, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

I apologize as this isnt a question related to buying mobile media, but you seem to have a lot of experience in advertising so Im hoping you can help me with this question.

I am currently putting together a website based around a free user experience. My revenue plan has always been to sell advertising on the website in a way that is not scattered all over the page like Google Adwords, but more focused on the user. Example would be tweet this brand for extra points on the website related to something the user already likes. So my question is what is the best way to go after advertisers and what data is most important to an advertiser when looking at a page to advertise on? Is picking out some advertisers who I feel would be targets to go after once the site builds and asking them if this is something they would be interested in advertising on a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide

onmission

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jul 27, 2009
Is the mobile marketing/advertising market growing as fast as all the media outlets portray? I have done some studying up on Internet marketing and I'm looking to take action (finally have some coin ready to deploy) would you recommend I dive head first into mobile or more traditional desktop marketing? If mobile what first action steps would you advise one takes?

frieden70

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 24, 2012
I apologize as this isnt a question related to buying mobile media, but you seem to have a lot of experience in advertising so Im hoping you can help me with this question.

I am currently putting together a website based around a free user experience. My revenue plan has always been to sell advertising on the website in a way that is not scattered all over the page like Google Adwords, but more focused on the user. Example would be tweet this brand for extra points on the website related to something the user already likes. So my question is what is the best way to go after advertisers and what data is most important to an advertiser when looking at a page to advertise on? Is picking out some advertisers who I feel would be targets to go after once the site builds and asking them if this is something they would be interested in advertising on a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide

I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean in the first part. I need a little more clarification there. One thing I would say though, is try and have other revenue streams than just advertisers. More revenue streams are better and advertising agencies can be a bitch to deal with at times.

Anyway, I'll address the second part for you though.

As far as what advertisers are looking for in a property that they are going to advertise on, I can tell you the things that I would look for.

1) Amount of unique visitors monthly - this will obviously give me a gauge as to how much media a property actually has.

2) Engagement - I want to know how involved the users are with the property. If people come and go in a heart beat, they more likely than not aren't very valuable users. You haven't provided them with enough value so they aren't very prequalified at that point.

3) Ad units - Just because a property has a bunch of visitors, doesn't mean that they will see your message. You need to know the ad units and how the users will be interacting with the ad.

Those are the main things I look for. The more data that you have on your users the better. Just browse around some sites that you know that has advertising and look at their media kits. That will give you an idea of the type of info that advertisers look for.

As for going for advertisers, I think you're putting the cart before the horse. I don't know your particular situation so I could be wrong but I would focus on the user generation part right now before you worry about getting the advertisers.

If you create something with the monetization in mind as you're creating the property or content, you more likely won't put out the best stuff to get people coming back.

Focus on creating amazing content, get the users, and then the advertisers will come.

Hope that makes sense.

Let me know if I can explain any of that better.

frieden70

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 24, 2012
Is the mobile marketing/advertising market growing as fast as all the media outlets portray? I have done some studying up on Internet marketing and I'm looking to take action (finally have some coin ready to deploy) would you recommend I dive head first into mobile or more traditional desktop marketing? If mobile what first action steps would you advise one takes?

The movement is definitely toward mobile, no doubt.

One of Google's main concerns (last I read, it could have changed) was monetizing their mobile users. Facebook too (although they seemed to have done a decent job last quarter according to their earnings).

People are definitely spending more and more time on their mobile devices, there's no denying that so the push will obviously be to that direction.

As far as taking action on internet marketing, I'm assuming you mean doing affiliate marketing?

You can do stuff on the web still, of course. There's still a TON of money to be done on the web. That's not where I focus my time so I don't want to lead you in any direction there.

With mobile though, you just need to go in the game with the right mindset and have the right budgets. So, it kind of depends on how much coin you can spend.

In my campaigns, I generally throw $50-$100 per campaign just to see if there are any conversions and any promise to move forward. Long story short, I can spend in the range of $500 until I can properly start optimizing the campaign. And, of course, there are times that campaigns just don't work and I move on to the next one.

This all depends on the exact traffic source that you're using and how much data you've gathered but that's to give you an idea.

You're going to need something to properly track everything. Some networks have their own tracker while others suck for mobile.

The tracking system that we use is either hasoffers or mobafftracker.

I feel like I kind of rambled a bit but I hope that helps.

I guess, long story short is just go in the game with the right mindset.

I personally think that mobile right now is a bit easier just because it's a bit more like the wild west of the early days of internet marketing. You don't particularly need landing pages and all of that with mobile like you do with web traffic.

If you're going to buy media, make sure that you have the budgets to do it. If you only have 20-30 bucks per campaign to test, you're just going to get frustrated and give up.

Hope that helps

frieden70

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 24, 2012
can you help us move some our current advertising campaigns to mobile?

I'd need more details before I could give you a straight answer.

Either way, I'm happy to try and point you in the right direction if I can't

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jakko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 2, 2007
Hi Frieden,

Thanks for starting this thread. Which CPA network do you recommend for a new marketer with no experience (ie mobile and internet marketing in general)? I found I couldn't get my application accepted with some. Also, do you use your EIN or SSN when signed up with a network?

Thanks!

frieden70

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks for starting this thread. Which CPA network do you recommend for a new marketer with no experience (ie mobile and internet marketing in general)? I found I couldn't get my application accepted with some. Also, do you use your EIN or SSN when signed up with a network?

It depends on which type of marketing you want to do.

For web stuff I would definitely hit up WolfStormMedia. When I joined forever ago they were very newbie friendly. Neverblue is another network that was pretty good and easy to work with to get started and Neverblue has a good selection of mobile offers. I think EWA may be another network that's newbie friendly.

If I were you, I would try and find a forum that talks about CPA stuff specifically (I know there's the warrior forum) and try and start chatting with reps. I know some of them hang around there to recruit pubs.

I'll leave the EIN/SSN question for your tax professional as I don't want to give bad advice there. But, in my non professional opinion, if you have a business setup for this type of thing and have an EIN, then I would use that otherwise use a SSN.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.