The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've made millions online - ask me anything!

limitup

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
652%
Dec 30, 2012
San Diego
When "copying" a company and making it better like the example you gave in post #20, how did you "take apart" the company in order to re-build it better? Is this a process that comes with the experience of building a company?

In a few niches that I would like to get in, I looked at the companies that dominated that niche. All I see is the stuff on the website. I can copy and improve on that, find where they're advertising and copy that, but because I never built a fully functional business similar to the ones in this niche, it still feels like I am missing a gap on information. The bad part about it is, I don't know what I don't know. Ya know? lol

It obviously depends on the specifics of the companies and the products, but you should be able to reverse engineer almost any business. The thing you didn't mention is that you also need to go through all of their marketing funnels yourself, even going so far as to buy their products so you can see how they handle transactions, do they have upsells/downsells, get on their mailing list and see what kind of followup marketing do they do, etc. Also make sure you promote them as an affiliate if possible to get more info on their conversion rates, etc.

I've gone so far as to convince a company to let me be an affiliate even though they didn't have an existing affiliate program, just so I could learn more about their business in order to "model" what they were doing. There may also be other forms of "social engineering" you could work on to gather even more intelligence. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
I don't know anything about your niche so I can't say.

My best advice is to see what other successful people in your niche are doing, and do that. In addition to prosoundeffects.com also checkout dubturbo.com - I know Norb makes great money from his site/products.

Don't take it personally but both of these sites look 10X more "professional" than yours does just at first glance. Something to think about.

A 2% conversion rate isn't that bad. That's about average.

It's just impossible for me to give you any serious advice though since I don't know anything about your business or even your niche.

Your conversion rate is primarily based on the strength of your offer (assuming decently targeted traffic, a professional looking website, and all that stuff that should be a given) - so I'd start there. Also like I said, see what the more successful people in your niche are doing and model them. That's the "secret".

With a bit of research and testing you should be able to figure out where your competitors and others in your niche get their traffic, what their conversion rates are, what their sales funnels look like, etc.

Ok. I checked out those sites, and I am just going the E-Commerce route. Not sure if this is the best way to go for the product, but I have no clue how I could make a subscription service out of it, unless they paid like $5 per month for 25 new sounds, and have that drip-fed from my big bank of sounds? And then I could change my website to a layout similar to dubturbo.com to better accommodate that approach.

I didn't take it personally, I actually needed to hear that. Since then, I have completely changed it, take a look and see what you think: Sylenth Soundbanks

For more serious advice could I summarize what my niche is about exactly?

I am going to do a little more research as to how similar sites make their money through the ways you mentioned.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
When doing media buys do you think it's best to study a traffic source and then promote a product relevant to their needs or would it be better to take a hot offer(like product with top gravity score on CB for example) and then find traffic sources with customers that this offer could be of interest to?

affarmy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 7, 2013
Laguna Hills
Thank you Limitup. After years of just reading this forum, you made me want to sign up just to hit that Thanks button and to participate.

Same- was lurking and usually just hang on Wickedfire but this info and your commitment to answer questions made me want to sign up and say thanks. Best wishes for your next venture.

Danio

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 3, 2013
Hi limit up,

Instead of directly linking to cpa offers via a landing page do you think this would be a good idea:

Traffic > squeez page for email address > show 3-4 cpa offers > they confirm lead and come double optin > send emails promoting infor products not cpa offers

Or do you think I would see bigger profits with just cpa offers

limitup

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
652%
Dec 30, 2012
San Diego
Ok. I checked out those sites, and I am just going the E-Commerce route. Not sure if this is the best way to go for the product, but I have no clue how I could make a subscription service out of it, unless they paid like $5 per month for 25 new sounds, and have that drip-fed from my big bank of sounds? And then I could change my website to a layout similar to dubturbo.com to better accommodate that approach.

I didn't take it personally, I actually needed to hear that. Since then, I have completely changed it, take a look and see what you think: Sylenth Soundbanks

For more serious advice could I summarize what my niche is about exactly?

I am going to do a little more research as to how similar sites make their money through the ways you mentioned.

You can post more details for sure and I'll try to help, but at the end of the day I still don't know your niche so I will never be able to tell you what will work best. What YOU need to do is learn your market inside and out, and then YOU will know the best way to offer your product(s), how much to charge, etc. You know what I mean?

I do think your current site looks better than the old one. :)

Seriously - the best advice I can give you is to find ALL the "meaningful" competitors in your niche and go through their entire sales funnels' and learn as much as you can about what they are doing and how they are doing it. Once you do this I promise you that your path forward will become more clear.

I hate to send anyone off to another forum, but you should also go to the wickedfire forum and search for and read all the posts by ncmedia - that is the owner of dubturbo and I know that more than once he has posted extensive details about how he built up this dubturbo business, etc. and I'm sure it'll help you out.

limitup

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
652%
Dec 30, 2012
San Diego
When doing media buys do you think it's best to study a traffic source and then promote a product relevant to their needs or would it be better to take a hot offer(like product with top gravity score on CB for example) and then find traffic sources with customers that this offer could be of interest to?

You can actually do either. Generally speaking I like to identify a large "hungry" market and then sell them what they want or are already buying, but I wouldn't recommend this for a newbie because there are more moving parts and more stuff you'll have to figure out. For a newbie I'd recommend you go the latter route and find a hot product that you know is selling, then you can focus on "reverse engineering" how other people are selling it successfully and model what they are doing. This is do-able even for a total newbie.

umagobushi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 7, 2013
Hey Limitup signed up cause of your thread which has been very insightful into what you've had to put in.. I noticed you mentioned that what you did wasn't very fastlane but it seems like you ended up a millionaire anyways. I'm a newbie and I'm trying to choose which avenue to begin learning/focusing on (just as you mentioned there are thousands.. of ways).

The only thing I can think of creating that would last a long time would be an authority website and SEO. (which I heard you didn't really focus on because it's slower returns and google dependant) are authority websites are considered fastlane? and are they within reach for a newbie, part time, with $200.00 to invest at the moment who's not looking for immediate return but definite returns in 3-5 months? If not is there anywhere you suggest I get started or other long term returning avenues?

Could you please give a outline of steps or thought process you go through to identify "hungry" markets and plan to provide value?

You mentioned early in this thread that you found out that money and all the nice things don't make you happy (I totally agree of course not having them is a bummer too) I was wondering if you might share with us what things do actually make you happy :D?

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for doing this thread.

It's given me some great ideas for a couple future projects and some interesting ways to monetize existing ones. Great stuff.

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
698%
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
If you had a site aimed at helping people overcome depression without the use of medication, your knowledge is through nutrition, exercise, supplements, cognitive, etc. and had it for 11 years yourself but conquered it, your skills are basic html and a little wordpress, what would be the clearest path to monetize that site?

Through recommending certain supplements and getting a commission?
Developing your own supplement?
Creating programs that people pay to sign up for that takes them through a "course"?

What would Limitup do in that situation (I know there is no right answer) or have you seen anyone else in that niche making a ton of money with a real product that solves needs (I don't want to make a BS product).

Liz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 1, 2013
South Africa
Thank you Limitup. Your lifetime experience in internet marketing has inspired me so much and the way you have shared it with the people in this forum.

schindyguy

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 6, 2013
Hey Limitup

• This thread is epic :eusa_clap:
  • Yes, MJ should be paying you for signups :thumbsup: (I am testament to that - and I'll probably be purchasing his book / membership as a result)
I have some questions about outsourcing content...

How did you go about creating your own information products? If you outsourced it how did you do it?
Well, creating info products is really easy. Something like a basic ebook can be written in a weekend. In my case my info products have been a handful of ebooks, but mostly "membership sites" where people pay for access to certain types of content. I hate creating actual content so in my case my products were often just re-packaged content I got from other sources (not PLR crap, but great content), or certain types of data that people could slice and dice however they wanted.
1. I hate creating actual content too, where are those good sources of non-PLR content? Or where are the sources the data/content I can slice and dice into something new?

For the content-based sites I would usually pay someone to gather, condense, and spruce up the content for me. They'd usually update it for X period of time as well.
2. Where would you find someone like that - elance/odesk? What would you look for to qualify them?

Believe it or not you can buy great content very inexpensively. Would you believe you can "interview" an expert in almost any field and often pay them as little as a few hundred bucks for an hour or two of their time? You can record it all and then convert it into whatever format you want to sell it in - an ebook, an audio program, etc. You can find these people on RTIR etc.
3. Have you been able to convince the expert to use their name in the content? Do you make them sign some sort of "use of their likeness for advertising purposes" contract? If the expert already has a health book/system they are selling themselves, how would you try to pitch them on "whitelabeling" their methodology, etc into a new book/offer?

Also one other question
4. Where would you get testimonials prior to launching a product? I know theres a lot of fakers/fiverr/etc stuff, but I am curious if you had a good source or way to generate legitimate testimonials.

Thank you so much for your time and help.

SueC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 6, 2013
Limitup, just wanted to ask about Clickbank. Seems like it's mainly a lot of spammy identical offers these days, do you think it is still useful to promote info products? Meaning, do any serious affiliates still rep the products there?

Thanks for the thread.

joncrx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 13, 2008
Orange County, CA
Thanks for posting this, an INCREDIBLE amount of info and golden nuggets throughout.

How do you select the networks you drive to? I've heard about people getting burned, getting campaigns ripped off/reverse engineered, etc.

Thanks!

Avus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Jun 18, 2013
Hey there,

I am a new member, but not new to the online game(just have not been successful yet!).

I'm curious, when you started selling affiliate products, did you ever their hoplinks to directly link to the offer?

I haven't found a great way to utilize this method, I wondering what experience you have with it. Any advice as to how to use this method would be appreciated. Google and Facebook don''t allow it

sk24iam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 22, 2009
Washington DC
Another question I have... In a noncompetitive niche, where there is a good conversion rate from affiliate sales, how likely is a content rich blog to grow organically without the help from paying for advertising? In terms of noncompetitive, there are tons of retailers but I have non seen any blogs within search results.

paqman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 22, 2013
Beach, CA
The toughest part is to choose a good role model but not good enough so there's place to compete against it (I know it was just an example but I don't see myself competing with Aweber:)).

^^^ Important - this didn't stop MailCheat(Chimp) from taking a big bite out of their marketshare... There's plenty of people who like Pepsi over Coke... Being #2 is never terrible if there is a large enough market.

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Any suggestions oh where to get the best shipping price ? Where to buy cheaper us post stamps ? What do you guys do to save money on this if you have an ecommerce store ?

For example a 8 1/2 x 11 envolope say I sell something that cost me $2 I sell it for $10 minues fees like $2 leaving me with a $6 profit but I still havent included shipping ? how would you ship to save money and keep more profit ? please help

TurboTT

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
May 22, 2013
OK, so I have my business set up and working with PPC. So far it pays for my business bills, but not enough for my personal bills. I am working this fulltime, but what did you do to push yourself into making a profit. I am kinda stuck at the border line of just making it and succeeding but Im about tapped out financially to be able to increase my PPC campaign. Volume seems to be the key here and if I could double what Im putting in the campaign Id finally make a real profit a month.

My wife's at a point she wants me to walk, but I cant. Im right there I just need that boost over the fence to profit. I'm tapped on credit etc so I dont have a penny more to put in the campaign and the campaign is finally making me money.

Just to clarify I lost thousands hiring an seo company that did nothing for me and I had to fight through that to get back on track. This is what killed me financially. That and purchasing leads that just kept me afloat.

Any recommendations?

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
Any recommendations?
anyway you can get affiliate traction? approaching companies with complementary lines of business, etc.? that's the cheapest way to expand, since you only pay for success.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
Last edited:

dwdaniel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 18, 2013
In need some insights on market research.

I have been quite successfully managing for more years than I care to admit to. I've been managing teams over the web since before there was a web. I can tell someone how to select, build, motivate and optimize a support team so they can get rich quickly. I want to do that.

Here's my problem: I may know what my avatars NEED to know. But I don't know what they WANT to learn. I don't even know how to find out. (Sigh)

Ideas?

kingsley

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 7, 2012
Thank you so much for your valuable information you have given out free here. May God bless you so much.

Please, i am in the process of building a site in health niche like www. webmd.com.
A content site and in the future build a membership site around it. I know that is not easy but is duable . What is you suggestions in respect of this.

Thank you.
Kingsley

kingsley

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 7, 2012
Thank you so much for your valuable information you have given out free here. May God bless you so much.Please, i am in the process of building a site in health niche like www. webmd.com.A content site and in the future build a membership site around it. I know that is not easy but is duable . What is you suggestions in respect of this.Thank you.Kingsley

gr0n3g

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 30, 2013
Alright, I’ve been lurking here for a while but this thread made me finally register on the forum (what’s up everybody!). I’ve read the thread from start to finish and I find your posts really inspiring and educational.

Initially, when I started learning about IM my plan was to create an info product business in one of three big niches with the use of Clickbank platform................................

“I know they recently cracked down on some of the ridiculous biz opp stuff they allow on there, but from what I can see these are really the only types of products that kill it on Clickbank and can leverage their affiliate base in a way that makes the steep fees worth it. Most of the health and fitness products are also borderline "scams", the "speed up your computer" and registry fixer type products are all borderline scams, and on and on. Not technically scams maybe, but 99 out of 100 of them don't deliver what's promised in the sales copy. And unless that's the kind of business you want to be involved with, I don't think you'll find Clickbank very useful.â€

I was looking for the original quoted entry but couldn't find it.

I'm definitely confused. Very early in this thread the advice was to take a product that works on Clickbank and "build a better mousetrap". But above >> "I don't think you'll find Clickbank very useful"

Q: If CB isn't the place to go to find a decent product/starting point can you provide some other options? CJ (lol)??

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.