The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[AMA] $25m+ in affiliate mktg revenue & exiting the game: Ask me anything.

apax999

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 3, 2013
NY
Hey folks,

For those that didn't read my intro post, I'm at a point where I'm looking to make a major pivot out of affiliate marketing (calling it 'AM' herein) into a true fastlane business. I read MJ's book and have torn through hundreds of threads in this forum. Figured the least I could do is start a question thread for those of you interested in AM.

I got into AM 7 years ago when I was finishing up college, the first 2 years of which I only ran about $50k in revenue while learning the ropes.

The last 5 years I've done between $25-30m in revenue. I've generated the bulk of this by "campaign hopping" from the hot thing at the moment, while also running some more long-term stable campaigns in the background.

Some things upfront: I don't do mobile advertising. I don't do Clickbank or Commission Junction. I don't do SE-slow. I've never done adult or dating offers or touched adult traffic sources. I only have 1 employee--me--and work from home. I have outsourced tech, design and dev teams. I've made a good chunk of this revenue from promoting PIN submit offers and another big chunk employing co-registration/regpaths.

My personal best profit days were around $30,000 /day. I am pretty fed up and burnt out from AM and will be open, frank and fairly candid in this AMA thread.

Tips / observations / random thoughts:

- This was and will continue to be an increasingly difficult business to get into. US and CA based affiliates have to comply with govt regulations in all of their marketing efforts all while competing with guys on the opposite side of the world who could care less about rules and regulations. Those guys are (for the most part) untouchable, while US based affiliates could (and do) get nailed hard.

- Continuing off of the first point, a lot of US affiliates have moved their efforts overseas targetting EU, Latam and Asia instead of US/CA. Don't be afraid to get your LP translated on onehourtranslation.com and test some offers in small, random countries. There's no better feeling then spending 1/10 the CPC and yielding double the EPC on an intl offer in a small country vs. running in US.

- This business isn't about re-inventing the wheel. It's about copying whats working (whatrunswhere.com etc), improving it and tweaking it so that it lasts.

- AM is not a fastlane business. It's a "tease" fastlane business. It's possible to keep campaigns running for months at a time with only minor creative/LP upkeep -- but eventually the traffic source will dry out, competitors will eat you, or the offer will be discontinued. There have been many months where I could get by working 1-2 hours per week. In hindsight, I wish I was actively pursuing a true fastlane business with this "free time". I am now.

- CPA networks are falling by the wayside. Whoever you work with, make sure you are on weekly wire payments regardless of your volume. If a network refuses this move on.

- Your affiliate manager at the CPA network is your best friend and potential business partner. If you can prove you can run big revenue they will share incredible amounts of internal data with you, including competitor landing pages and traffic sources. I have several affiliate managers who I've followed around from network to network quite simply because they will be my inside man and partner. Again, your affiliate/account manager is your best buddy.

- What's doing most revenue right now on the high revenue networks you ask? Nutra stuff, and within that huge vertical: rebills. Diet to be precise, followed by skin. Straight-sale nutra stuff isn't too far behind. Outside of nutra, tool-bars (notably the shady "Update your Flash player" offer) are doing hundreds of thousands of leads per day. Behind that, PIN submits, promo (win and iPad offers) and dating do huge revenue.

- Credit cards are your friends in this business. I recommend Amex Plum (2% cash back) and Amex Starwood Business (points can be worth over 0.05 per point if redeemed correctly). I've accumulated millions of points paying for my huge adspends and haven't paid for a vacation in 5 years, including weeks around Europe, first class airfare etc. It's a good perk of the job. 2% cashback on a $1.5m monthly adspend account is a nice $30k bonus. Points have also allowed me to treat family members to great vacations. Amex is incredibly receptive to increasing credit.

I know there are 2-3 other huge AM threads on here, so hopefully we can ask some original questions here. Perhaps we should keep this thread related intermediate or advanced discussion, or offer/network specific tidbits. I'll let you guys steer but I think most "how do i get started" questions have been answered elsewhere.

Lastly, I think it would be beneficial to keep any questions here and not via PM.

Look forward to chatting.

-apax

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

redlineryder

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Sep 7, 2009
Toronto
Welcome and thanks for starting an AMA thread. I don't have any specific questions relating to AM but curious after all this experience and success you've had which path you plan to take next.

apax999

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 3, 2013
NY
Welcome and thanks for starting an AMA thread. I don't have any specific questions relating to AM but curious after all this experience and success you've had which path you plan to take next.

Hey,

Yeah. 3 directions I'm headed off in:

- buy one or more existing online business on flippa, bizbuysell etc. with the eventual goal of flipping it

- supplements. in the early stages of securing all the pieces of this puzzle. i can run hundreds of leads per day to nutra offers so the next logical step would be to run my own.

- turn-key real estate rentals

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
What are your best tips for business owners who want to get their affiliate program running and with the best possible success? Thank you

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
I've always wondered what kind of real net margins the guys quoting big $ numbers really do. $25-30m over 5 years is $5-6m/yr. Is that gross revenue? With a $1.5m/month ad spend...I'm assuming that was just towards the end, otherwise you would've lost millions? I always had the impression that was why the AM "gurus" set up blogs, so they could use the big sounding gross revenue #'s to push higher margin info products. So whats the real inside story? How many campaigns would you run in parallel?

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Just wanted to say welcome (from another ex-affiliate here for several years), and thanks for the post. A lot of people who want to get into AM these days don't realize what a challenge they are facing. At the same time, people who have never dealt with it and have no interest to, often don't believe the numbers that it is possible to generate. :)

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Intermediate - Advanced questions eh? What were your top 10 traffic sources in order of highest average ROI? Are you primarily a PPC guy, or display/banner?

apax999

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 3, 2013
NY
What are your best tips for business owners who want to get their affiliate program running and with the best possible success? Thank you

Are you planning on launching your program on affiliate networks? Or are you running your own affiliate program in-house and recruiting affiliates? Different animals.

Whatever you do, especially if it's an in-house kind of thing: make sure you are sending traffic to a sales funnel. I've seen so many people direct thousands of dollars worth of traffic to a landing page that had 0 chance of converting traffic into a sale or a lead. Of course, if you're directing traffic to a e-commerce site where you just want someone to buy something, I'd try creating landing pages that offer coupons or discount codes. For instance, if you buy on Facebook Ads, make a LP that says "Welcome Facebook Users" and have a bunch of coupon codes or discount links on that page. I wouldn't just dump traffic onto your high level domain.

Tracking is also big. If you're in-house you'll need something like hasoffers.com. Affiliates like good payment terms, and they also like creatives and landing pages already made up for them so that all we have to do is plug and play.

I'd be happy to get into the nitty gritty would just need some more details.

I've always wondered what kind of real net margins the guys quoting big $ numbers really do. $25-30m over 5 years is $5-6m/yr. Is that gross revenue? With a $1.5m/month ad spend...I'm assuming that was just towards the end, otherwise you would've lost millions? I always had the impression that was why the AM "gurus" set up blogs, so they could use the big sounding gross revenue #'s to push higher margin info products. So whats the real inside story? How many campaigns would you run in parallel?

That's gross revenue. Margins can be painstakingly thin. The $1.5m a month was just a random number I threw out there an example w/ how it relates to 2% back on the Plum card (getting $30k cashback just sounds nicer then 2% back). I've had months where I've spent more then that, and months where I've spent a lot less. It fluctuates. A lot.

With regards to margin, I've had 5-7% months at worst (typically coinciding with the high adspend months, as the really high adspends generally reflect testing periods). My best months were 75% and up.

At most, I believe I was running upwards of a dozen campaigns at one single time. But half of these were the same product/service just running in different intl geos.

apax999

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 3, 2013
NY
Intermediate - Advanced questions eh? What were your top 10 traffic sources in order of highest average ROI? Are you primarily a PPC guy, or display/banner?

Haha. I'm burnt out and slowly making my exit from affiliate marketing but I'm not ready to go there just yet. I will say that I like CPV/PPV sources. There's nothing more powerful then forcing a popup in front of users.

CPV/PPV traffic is already pre-qualified in a certain way. Not sure how to say this nicely, but they were dumb enough to install adware on their computers which is now serving the popups -- who knows what else they may buy or do spur of the moment?

I like contextual, domain redirects and traditional display as well.

I used to ride the PPC wave back when Google and Yahoo allowed thin LP's. Haven't used either in years.

kyled427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jun 19, 2013
As someone who has been floating around the "affiliate marketing industry" for the past year and a half or so, I am curious to know are you a well known person in that circle?

I ask because as I am sure you know there are plenty of big talkers in the game (I'm sure a few come to mind) as well as plenty of people that really keep to themselves and make some serious revenue without being showy about it. Just curious which side of the spectrum you happen to be on.

apax999

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 3, 2013
NY
As someone who has been floating around the "affiliate marketing industry" for the past year and a half or so, I am curious to know are you a well known person in that circle?

I ask because as I am sure you know there are plenty of big talkers in the game (I'm sure a few come to mind) as well as plenty of people that really keep to themselves and make some serious revenue without being showy about it. Just curious which side of the spectrum you happen to be on.

Not at all. I have no blogs, no personal fan website, no glitzy Facebook page where I post all my awesome pics.

The guys with blogs are typically the small/medium sized guys in my experience. For a lot of them, "John Chow" comes to mind, their only revenue comes from being a blogger.

Last minute edit to say: I consider myself a medium size affiliate. The big guys push revenue that make jaws drop.

kyled427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jun 19, 2013
I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say that $30k days make jaws drop as well. Good luck on moving into the fast lane though, cheers!

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
Welcome Apax,

I'm the other guy with a AMA about Aff marketing. I share your exact sentiments about "exiting the game". I came to the same realization as you after reading TMF . I can get traffic, so running my own stuff is the next step :) -- Welcome to the forum and hope we can all learn from you as well.

Cheers!

fybpm

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 23, 2013
apax, I think there might be some good synergy between us since I own over 30,000,000 real followers on twitter, facebook, and instagram with niche targeted traffic across tons of verticals.

I know you're on your way out, but maybe this is worth linking up on.

Sent you a PM

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
@apax999

What is the exact process that you follow when promoting a new offer and making it profitable?
(The more detailed the better) (e.g. I first do X until Y happens...and then I do Z until A happens...It is at XYZ point where I start to get the campaign into profit...etc...)

Also...what do you like to promote, and what specific kind of traffic are you able to leverage (e.g. weight loss, make money etc...)?

(From lead lists or traffic sources you have built for yourself to leverage)

Last edited:

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Wow, super impressive. I've tried lots of ways to make money online, and I'm still on the curb. I have three questions:

1) Why are you leaving AM?
2) If you don't recommend AM, then what do you think the best "fastlane" is now?
3) What are the best resources for someone to embark?

Thanks!

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Really interesting, in my opinion I believe the best businesses are built on great foundations. Therefore, the best question I think anyone can ask is how does one effectively start an affiliating business? I am not asking how to be perfect, that's impossible, but how can I make even 1% of what you make, if.

Congratulations on your success. I would love to speak with you in more detail I am very curious about learning new things and other business ventures. I understand you rather not work in PM's but would you mind having a side convo in PM?

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I have outsourced tech, design and dev teams

How much input do you have in your own landers/banners ect? Do you come up with the copy and outsource the design of the landers? I create very high ctr banner ads but I struggle with landing pages due to my lack of coding/designing skill. I would prefer to outsource this instead of laboring away at a landing page.

How much ad spend did you typically have when you started out? How was this scaled over time to where you are now?

What process is used by the big AM's to drive leads in rebills/supplements ect? Do you guys just use landing pages that pre-sell the offer or do you get much more sophisticated and generate auto-responder sequences, funnels ect?

If I am promoting rebills/supplements/pills, what should I be focusing on when prospects get to my landing page to increase my conversions on the offers?

jerrywhyte

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 6, 2011
This is rather an advance post!

How can one get started in this online biz terrain? what and what would want need to put in place? what CPA/Affil company work well? how about traffic source - organic or paid? if paid which is your best bet?

What can one do to get accepted easily by CPA companies especially if you are outside of US/CA/UK?

apax999

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 3, 2013
NY
@apax999

What is the exact process that you follow when promoting a new offer and making it profitable?
(The more detailed the better) (e.g. I first do X until Y happens...and then I do Z until A happens...It is at XYZ point where I start to get the campaign into profit...etc...)

Also...what do you like to promote, and what specific kind of traffic are you able to leverage (e.g. weight loss, make money etc...)?

(From lead lists or traffic sources you have built for yourself to leverage)

I find out what else is running successfully and copy it. I run the exact clone on my preferred traffic sources and see if it has potential. A lot of people say "run 3x the CPA in traffic ad-spend to see if it converts". I don't like that idea. I buy and send enough traffic to do 20-30 conversions so I can try to ascertain any trends. Once I know the offer is viable, I begin putting my own unique twist on the landing pages/flows. A lot of times the original LP that I copied is completely unrecognizable. Then other affiliates copy my new LP. Circle of life.

I've done a good deal of volume in diet, not so much in biz opp/wealth.

Wow, super impressive. I've tried lots of ways to make money online, and I'm still on the curb. I have three questions:

1) Why are you leaving AM?
2) If you don't recommend AM, then what do you think the best "fastlane" is now?
3) What are the best resources for someone to embark?

Thanks!

1) I'm burnt out. It's not fastlane. It's a "tease" fastlane. You can leave stuff on autopilot for months and get a feel for the fastlane life but it's not true fastlane. I want to build something of my own.

2) Wish I knew. I'm headed in 3 directions to find out, see above couple posts up.

3) Read every post on WickedFire posted before 2011, sorted by most views/replies. Obviously skip the off-topic/politics threads.

How much of your volume has come from self serve traffic sources vs 'managed accounts' ?

85% self-serve vs 15% managed

Really interesting, in my opinion I believe the best businesses are built on great foundations. Therefore, the best question I think anyone can ask is how does one effectively start an affiliating business? I am not asking how to be perfect, that's impossible, but how can I make even 1% of what you make, if.

Congratulations on your success. I would love to speak with you in more detail I am very curious about learning new things and other business ventures. I understand you rather not work in PM's but would you mind having a side convo in PM?

Join some CPA networks, see what offers are doing the most volume and start snooping around for landing pages and traffic sources. Copy, launch and gather data. whatrunswhere.com is a great resource. will run you about $250 /mo though.

How much input do you have in your own landers/banners ect? Do you come up with the copy and outsource the design of the landers? I create very high ctr banner ads but I struggle with landing pages due to my lack of coding/designing skill. I would prefer to outsource this instead of laboring away at a landing page.

How much ad spend did you typically have when you started out? How was this scaled over time to where you are now?

What process is used by the big AM's to drive leads in rebills/supplements ect? Do you guys just use landing pages that pre-sell the offer or do you get much more sophisticated and generate auto-responder sequences, funnels ect?

If I am promoting rebills/supplements/pills, what should I be focusing on when prospects get to my landing page to increase my conversions on the offers?

Landing pages - like I posted earlier AM is not about reinventing the wheel. Copy what's working. Google search "green coffee bean" right now. I see 5-10 ads. These guys are all paying huge PPCs so no doubt their LPs are working. Hint hint. I also use oDesk for outsourced designers.

Starting out - I maxed out a $1000 Amex Student Blue card, luckily I yielded back like $800 so I was able to buy more next month and try again.

Driving traffic to rebills - "advertorials" certainly work and that's what the high volume guys are using. I personally would never run that sort of LP targeting US traffic though. Never been much of a list builder so can't comment there.

As for what to focus on when traffic hits - you definitely want to pre-qualify that traffic (in 80% of cases this is done by using an advertorial) and funnel them into offers. Make sure you are rotating offers on the backend. I wouldn't get overly concerned with trying to collect email addresses or listbuilding. If someone is looking for weight loss solutions online, it most likely means they have their credit card next to the keyboard and is willing to spend.

This is rather an advance post!

How can one get started in this online biz terrain? what and what would want need to put in place? what CPA/Affil company work well? how about traffic source - organic or paid? if paid which is your best bet?

What can one do to get accepted easily by CPA companies especially if you are outside of US/CA/UK?

Can't speak to your last question as I have no experience there.

Getting started:

1) Tracking (tracking202, cpvlab or bevo). I personally use cpvlab for most stuff.
2) You'll find out what companies are good to work with by visiting wickedfire, warrior forum or the other big AM forums.
3) Paid traffic. I've never tried harnessing SEO. Too slow and boring.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
When you optimized your campaigns, did you normally end up targeting just a few placements or was it spread out amongst many placements?

How often did you buy traffic directly from the websites that converted?

Is it important to have good relationships with people from the traffic source?

I have my own product and business, and it's been selling fairly well, but I am having problems scaling. I'm mainly using Facebook to drive traffic to a lander, then to the product itself. Do you have any recommendations regarding Facebook?

When you do find an offer that sells, how well have you been able to take it to different traffic sources?

apax999

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 3, 2013
NY
When you optimized your campaigns, did you normally end up targeting just a few placements or was it spread out amongst many placements?

How often did you buy traffic directly from the websites that converted?

Is it important to have good relationships with people from the traffic source?

I have my own product and business, and it's been selling fairly well, but I am having problems scaling. I'm mainly using Facebook to drive traffic to a lander, then to the product itself. Do you have any recommendations regarding Facebook?

When you do find an offer that sells, how well have you been able to take it to different traffic sources?

When I start a new campaign I target everything, then trim back. I would generate the biggest keyword lists or placement lists I possibly can--tens of thousands kws or placements if not more. I generally outsource this task. Doing it this way isn't exactly cheap, but its the fastest. It's the good 'ol throw everything at the wall and see what sticks method.

I have never entered into a direct relationship with any individual website for traffic.

I haven't advertised on Facebook in years, can't help there.

Regarding relationships at the traffic source, yeah, it's vitally important. Once you prove you can spend money they will share a lot of internal data with you. This is one of the reasons I never liked Facebook or Adwords for that matter. It's incredibly tough to get a rep, and even when you do it's generally an intern who's primary purpose is to enforce vague compliance issues with little or no knowledge of direct marketing. So yeah, I would give preference any day to a network where you have another human being with marketing knowledge on the other end of Skype or email or the phone to bounce ideas off of. In fact, my business probably never would have grown had I stuck to the safety-net of my original traffic sources of Adwords/Yahoo/Bing/Facebook.

As for scaling to other sources, at this point I have a list of 10-12 ad networks I work with. Of those, 2-3 are my primary. If an offer works there I immediately port it over the my other networks. It's really just a result of years of testing dozens of networks and knowing which ones to work with and which ones to avoid.

In your case, if you have a product that can sell then your battle is half won. It's just a matter of hopping from ad network to ad network testing. I'm going to follow up this post with a list.

apax999

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 3, 2013
NY
This list definitely is by no means a complete one.

PPC

1. Google Adwords – search and content network adwords.google.com
2. Bing/Yahoo – search and content text/contextual ads http://advertising.microsoft.com/small-business/search-advertising/bing
3. Miva – cheap search ads miva.com
4. 7Search – cheap search/direct domain ads 7search.com
5. LookSmart – self serve search/contextual text ads looksmart.com
6. Ask – self serve ppc http://www.ask.com/products/display

PPV/CPV

1. Traffic Vance – great ppv network trafficevance.com
2. Lead Impact – formerly zango, pops/CPV ads leadimpact.com
3. AdOnNetwork – banners, contextual, search – self serve adonnetwork.com
4. MediaTraffic – ppv ads mediatraffic.com
5. Direct CPV – cpv, self serve popups directcpv.com
6. Adoori – ppv popups – self serve adoori.com
7. Findology – ppc/cpv findology.com

Self-Serve

1. Facebook Ads – self serve ads on facebook http://www.facebook.com/advertising/
2. My Ads – self serve banners on myspace & a host of Fox network sites https://www.myads.com/login.html
3. POF Ads – self serve ads on PlentyOfFish https://ads.pof.com/
4. Adshuffle Exchange – self serve ads on many big sites and networks adshuffle.com
5. AdReady – display ads/self serve banners on yahoo sites adready.com
6. AdsDaq – banners/media buying exchange (now Contextweb) contextweb.com
7. Advertise.com – self serve text, search and display ads advertise.com
8. Casale Media – self serve banners casalemedia.com
9. Advertising.com AdDesk – banners on popular sites advertising.com
10. CBS Interactive – media buys on very high traffic CBS site inventory http://cbsinteractive.com/
11. Adroll – self serve banners/site targeting adroll.com
12. Pulse360 – ads on good high traffic inventory pulse360.com
13. BuySellAds – self serve banners on a range of design blogs buysellads.com
14. AdSonar – text ads on high traffic US sites adsonar.com
15. AdBlade – self serve display ads, very good service adblade.com
16. Traffiq.com – self serve banners, media buy type thing traffiq.com
17. BlogAds – banners/text ads on high traffic blog network blogads.com
18. Clicksor – banners/text ads/pop unders clicksor.com
19. Chitika – search related contextual display ads chitika.com
20. AdPerium – display banners, self serve, similar to adbrite adperium.com
21. Reddit Ads – self serve direct ads on reddit.com http://www.reddit.com/r/ads/
22. AdToll.com – now owned by Clickbooth – banners/display/text ads adtoll.com
23. AdSide – self serve ppc contextual inline text ads adside.com
24. MegaClick – banners on 2 high traffic file share sites megaclick.com
25. RealTechNetwork – Variety of formats, self serve platform realtechnetwork.com
26. AdEngage – banners/text, similar to adbrite, allow weekly buys adengage.com
27. AdBuyer – media buying search/display exchange adbuyer.com
28. OpenX Ad Marketplace – banner exchange on open x ad network openx.com
29. ZedoAdNetwork.com – Zedo self serve zedoadnetwork.com
30. Adbrite – display/contextual ads adbrite.com
31. AdClickMedia.com – self serve banners and contextual widgets adclickmedia.com
32. TrafficTaxi.net – self serve banners/display/popunders – global traffictaxi.net
33. XA.net – Display/retargeting/facebook ad exchange xa.net
34. BidVertiser – contextual and banner ads bidvertiser.com
35. BuyAds.com – self-serve banners on many quality sites buyads.com
36. http://www.widgetbucks.com - self serve text/widget ads http://www.widgetbucks.com
37. http://www.bidplacesb.com/ - self serve banners, owned by AOL http://www.bidplacesb.com/
38. http://www.ampkeywords.com - self serve text ads http://www.ampkeywords.com
39. AdTaily http://www.adtaily.com/ http://www.adtaily.com/
40. AdMarketplace – self serve text ads admarketplace.com
http://www.advertisespace.com - Direct display buys on small-ish http://www.advertisespace.com

Media Buy Networks (non-self serve)

1. Tribal Fusion – media buy banner network tribalfusion.com
2. Advertising.com – display/banners, media buys advertising.com
3. Microsoft Ad Network – microsoft banner display/media buys http://advertising.microsoft.com/ad-network
4. AOL Advertising – variety of solutions on AOL inventory http://advertising.aol.com/
5. FOX Networks – banners on FOX properties http://www.fox.com/advertise.php
6. Bnmla – banners, huge volume, good for female demo http://www.bnmla.com/
7. MediaWhiz – banners/display, media buys mediawhiz.com
8. CPXinteractive – banners/display, media buys cpxinteractive.com
9. ValueClick – banners, display/media buys valueclick.com
10. Interclick – banners, high volume media buys interclick.com
11. EngageBDR – media buys on high traffic inventory http://engagebdr.com/
12. Burst Media – banners/display/media buys burstmedia.com
13. Tatto Media – banners/display/media buys http://www.tattomedia.com/
14. Right media (Yahoo) – self serve banner exchange rightmedia.com
15. PremiumAccess.com – premium banner ad network premiumaccess.com
16. AdKnowledge – cheap ads, slow approvals adknowledge.com
17. Xtend Media – banner/display media buys http://www.matomymedia.com/
18. Federated Media – cpm banners on good inventory of sites federatedmedia.com
19. ReduxMedia – Display, media buys, some good blog inventory reduxmedia.com
20. AdFunky – Display/rich media, some high traffic inventory adfunky.com
21. BannerConnect – media buys/banners, good european reach bannerconnect.com
22. Glam Media – media buys, display, very good inventory for female demo glammedia.com
23. Vibrant Media – inline contextual/rich ads, media buys vibrantmedia.com
24. Tremor Media – media buys, good range of new formats tremormedia.com
25. Rubicon Project – media buys, nice interface/inventory rubiconproject.com
26. Traffic Marketplace – display/email ads, media buys epicmarketplace.com
27. AdJuggler – display/media buys adjuggler.com
28. Specific Media – banners/video display, media buys specificmedia.com
29. Undertone.com – premium banners/display/media buys undertone.com
30. Z5x.net – display banners, media buys, large inventory z5x.net
31. Dsnrmg.com – display, media buys, unknown quantity/quality dsnrmg.com
32. Collective.com – media buys, banners/display collective.com
33. Adconian – video/banner ads, media buys adconion.com
34. Technorati Media – banners http://technoratimedia.com/
35. http://intermarkets.net - display/banners - media buys intermarkets.net
36. azoogleads.com azoogleads.com
37. clickbooth.com clickbooth.com

Retargeting

1. Retargeter – Retarget the ones who didn’t sign up first time retargeter.com
2. FetchBack – Retarget the ones who didn’t sign up first time fetchback.com
3. MyThings – Retarget the ones who didn’t sign up first time mythings.com
4. Criteo.com – Retargeting criteo.com
5. http://www.leadback.com - retargeted ads at search traffic leadback.com

Category (Gaming)

1. Mochi Media – self serve in-game ads mochimedia.com
2. CPMStar – banners display aimed at gaming sites only cpmstar.com
3. Intergi – banners and static/video in-game adverts intergi.com
4. NeoEdge.com – static/video in game adverts neoedge.com
5. Ad4Game – banners on gaming sites ad4game.com
6. Ad2Games – online advertising for games http://www.ad2games.com/
7. Axifer – banners on Gamezer http://www.axifer.com/
8. Game Advertising Online – large scale performance-focused advertising solution for online games http://www.game-advertising-online.com/
9. http://www.advertiseyourgame.com/ http://www.advertiseyourgame.com/
10. http://www.inviziads.com/index.html http://www.inviziads.com/index.html
11. http://www.advertisegame.com/?gclid=CJ74wqK696gCFUHr7Qoddh9vSg http://www.advertisegame.com/?gclid=CJ74wqK696gCFUHr7Qoddh9vSg
12. http://www.bluenoodle.com/advertisers/ http://www.bluenoodle.com/advertisers/
13. http://www.game-advertising.com/ http://www.game-advertising.com/
14. http://www.arcadeaffiliate.com/ http://www.arcadeaffiliate.com/
15. http://www.onads.com/ http://www.onads.com/
16. http://www.gamerstrain.com/ http://www.gamerstrain.com/
http://www.surgedirect.com/

Category (Adult)

1. Black Label Ads – Text & banners on adult inventory – adult version of adbrite blacklabelads.com
2. AdExpansion – Display/banners on adult inventory adxpansion.com
3. EroAdvertising – Web & mobile display/banners on adult inventory ero-advertising.com
4. TrafficJunky.net – adult self serve display/banners, good volume inventory trafficjunky.net
5. JuicyAds – Display on adult inventory, flat rate buys per week/month juicyads.com
6. Adult Ad World – CPM ads, text ads, pop-under, clicked traffic adultadworld.com

Social Apps

1. Appvert – Facebook apps ads, display appvert.com
2. http://adchap.com - ads on various social sites, hi5, facebook, bebo et adchap.com
3. TappJoy – socialmedia app ads and distribution tapjoy.com
4. Userplane – social media advertising for media buyers userplane.com
5. Cubics – social media ads cubics.com
6. Rock You Media – social media display ads rockyoumedia.com
7. http://zohark.com - facebook app ads zohark.com
8. http://offerpalmedia.com - socialmedia app ads offerpalmedia.com
http://underdogmedia.com/

International

1. Reseau Select – banner and offline targetted at quebec http://www.reseauselect.com/
2. Canoe Klix – text ads on the canoe.ca network http://www.canoeklix.com/
3. Adconian – display/media buys, good for Europe adconion.com
4. Hola Networks – media buys targeting hispanic demo only in USA holanetworks.com
5. Hi Media – display/media buys, mainly European traffic he-media.com
6. Ad2OneGroup – media buys on premium UK, Irish & Aus. sites + Ebay UK ad2onegroup.com
7. Pamoja Media – Adify powered, banners for African traffic pamojamedia.com
8. SHE Network – Adify powered, target Swedish women http://www.shenetwork.se/
9. Smowtion – display banners, most South American inventory smowtion.com
10. Traffic Synergy AdRands – banners, South African traffic http://www.trafficsynergy.co.za/adrands/
11. UTarget.co – UK display/rich media/video, owned by Fox utarget.co.uk
12. Unanimis – display/video media buys, UK traffic http://www.unanimis.co.uk/
13. Mirago – UK/French/German contextual/search ads http://www.mirago.com/
14. HarrenMedia – Media buys, South American/Hispanic traffic http://www.harrenmedia.com/index.html
15. http://www.adborsa.com/ - Display ads for largely Turkish demo adborsa.com
16. ExoClick – Text/display on various inventory. Similar model to adbrite exoclick.com
17. Aim4Media – Display media buys, European traffic http://www.aim4media.com/
18. Adverline – Media buys, good quality French/Euro inventory adverline.com
19. Accelerator Media – UK banners/media buys http://www.accelerator-media.com/
20. Specific Media – Media buys/display on UK/Euro premium inventory specificmedia.com
21. Global Interactive – Smaller scale banner/pop media buys globalinteractive.com
22. Adtegrity – Media buys/display, high volume adtegrity.com
23. http://www.adpepper.com - European banner display + Affiliate network with adpepper.com
24. http://www.directaclick.com - Owned by Fox, media buys, US Hispanic directaclick.com
25. AdKontekst polish/contextual ad www.adkontekst.pl/ www.adkontekst.pl/

Uncategorized

1. Sitepoint Marketplace – small direct banner buys sitepointmarket.com
2. http://searchfeed.com - search/contextual on parked pages. searchfeed.com
3. Pubmatic – ad network pubmatic.com
4. Admanage – Contextual, inline & display, pops, parking, decent volume admanage.com
5. Linkworth – Banners, inline, contextual, plenty of cheap inventory linkworth.com
6. Affinity – search, parked pages, text ads – good 2nd tier inventory affinitymedia.com
7. sportgenic.com Sports Marketing sportgenic.com
8. AdOptim – in-video, text and banner ads adoptim.com
9. YuMe – in-video ads, media buys yume.com
10. Etology – banners/text ads, cheap etology.com
11. Industry Brains – now called adHere – text ads on mainly tech related sites industrybrains.com
12. InLinks – inline contextual ads, like Kontera inlinks.com
13. AdMedia – self serve inline contextual text ads like kontera, also display ads admedia.com
14. BrightRoll – media buys, banners/video brightroll.com
15. Snap LinkAds- text/inline type ads snap.com
16. Ezanga – cheaper search and contextual http://advertising.ezanga.com/
17. AditAll – produce and run video ad campaigns aditall.com
18. Elephant Traffic – mispelled domain traffic auction https://www.elephant-traffic.com/
19. Kontera – inline contextual text ads kontera.com
20. FindItQuick – text ads http://www.finditquick.info/
21. http://www.salemwebnetwork.com/ - Display ads on Christian website http://www.salemwebnetwork.com/
22. traveladnetwork.com Travel traveladnetwork.com
24. http://youyield.com/ - Interstitial full page ads youyield.com
25. http://interstitials.net/ - As the name suggests, interstitial ad network interstitials.net
31. spotxchange.com Video spotxchange.com

Twitter

Sponsored Tweets – sponsored twitter posts sponsporedtweets.com
Ad.ly – more twitter ads ad.ly
Izea – self serve sponsored tweets/blog posts izea.com
http://revtwt.com - advertising on twitter retwt.com

archetype

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 26, 2013
Thanks for all this inside info. I have a lot of questions - love to hear your thoughts on.

I'm interested in how you see the affiliate industry evolving (past 3 years, past year, next year, next 3 years) based on your experience.

Anything salient that you think will impact the ability of an affiliate to do business or to change how he does it in a meaningful way. In particular if there are more barriers to entry, greater needs for capital or other for example.

Also, you've commented on the 'durability of campaigns' - have you seen change in this? Thanks to whatrunswhere etc I imagine it is shortening.

Finally, have you seen changes in stability of offers? What affects the lifetime of an offer for you? so long as competition doesn't wipe your profits out it makes sense to stick with an offer you know over the longer term I guess. What do you find predicts the stability of an offer for the longer term? What tends to make offers the least likely to be stable?

Have you worked directly with any companies vs. CPA networks? And if so, is this something you recommend, and how did it happen/ usually happen?

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
In your case, if you have a product that can sell then your battle is half won. It's just a matter of hopping from ad network to ad network testing. I'm going to follow up this post with a list.

Holy crap, thanks.

I'm new at direct marketing, and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction regarding dog products. Is there a particular traffic source you would start using, or is it just guess and check and spend? My demo is 30+ Women, in the US, moderate income, with one or more pets. If I can find a way to target those people, which I'm currently doing through Facebook, I could generate way more sales.

If it's just guess, test, and check, then I have my answer. Edited to say that I'm not afraid of spending money to get the data, but I'm currently limited to a fairly small budget. Throwing about $50/day at it for testing.

I wanted to thank you for the traffic list. I definitely saved that shit. :)

apax999

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 3, 2013
NY
Holy crap, thanks.

I'm new at direct marketing, and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction regarding dog products. Is there a particular traffic source you would start using, or is it just guess and check and spend? My demo is 30+ Women, in the US, moderate income, with one or more pets. If I can find a way to target those people, which I'm currently doing through Facebook, I could generate way more sales.

If it's just guess, test, and check, then I have my answer. Edited to say that I'm not afraid of spending money to get the data, but I'm currently limited to a fairly small budget. Throwing about $50/day at it for testing.

I wanted to thank you for the traffic list. I definitely saved that shit. :)

Dog products...hah definitely one niche I never got involved in! The former founders of one of the affiliate networks I did a lot of rev with back in the day (Azoogle) founded a pet food company, Petflow. Using them as an example, here's a traffic source breakdown from whatrunswhere

l9ws.png

That 49% "media buy" is further broken down to these ad servers

googleads.g.doubleclick.net United States Google Adwords 38.10% 128 798 2010-11-10 2013-01-15
view.atdmt.com United States 247 Real Media 18.75% 63 3 2012-01-24 2012-01-26
ads.tw.adsonar.com United States Quigo Adsonar 7.44% 25 18 2011-06-09 2011-06-26
googleads.g.doubleclick.net United Kingdom Google Adwords 7.14% 24 5 2011-06-23 2011-06-27
view.atdmt.com United States Media Buy 6.25% 21 26 2012-01-25 2012-02-19
ib.adnxs.com United States Appnexus 4.17% 14 8 2013-01-11 2013-01-18
nym1.ib.adnxs.com United States Appnexus 2.98% 10 8 2013-01-10 2013-01-17
googleads.g.doubleclick.net Australia Google Adwords 2.38% 8 3 2011-06-25 2011-06-27

Here's the traffic breakdown for petsmart.com's media buys

8doz.png

Personally, I'd try SiteScout.com. Self-serve media buy. You can target by site and demo target as granular as your heart desires.

TopChef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
May 22, 2013
Near San Diego
Apax999. It seems to me that even though affiliate marketing can be tiresome and wear you out, learning how to do it prepares you for success in other fields like nothing else. Learning how to drive traffic and efficiently convert it is usefull no matter what you do. Do you agree with this?

Lets say you create a dog toy as your new fastlane business venture. Would you use affiliates to drive traffic or would you just do it yourself?

Speed+++ for contributing such great material!

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
I'm an affiliate marketer here too and a new company I started recently (which has "real" staff) is making me tempted once more to hire physical employees to come in to the office to work.

Have you ever tried doing that?

You mentioned that you outsource, so I'm wondering whether you've tried hiring "real staff" or simply whether you think outsourcing is the better solution.

I'm asking because my experience with virtual staff has been mediocre at best and I always end up doing the grunt work myself.

I look forward to the "4 hour workweek" lifestyle perhaps some time in the future but for now (and the next few foreseeable years) I'm happy to pump in the hours but I'd like to do that in the most effective way possible, thus my willingness to invest energy and resources into building a team etc and would love to hear your thoughts on that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.