The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Article from Entrepreneur.com: How Fitness Can Ensure Smooth Entrepreneurial Journey

sergiodcarreno

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Apr 24, 2020
Petaluma, CA
How Fitness Can Ensure Smooth Entrepreneurial Journey

Great article with valuable insight. Do you agree that it's practically mandatory for entrepreneurs and business leaders to be training in some form of physical activity everyday to more successfully run and grow their business? How many of you are actually taking action on this instead of leaving it as your new years resolution every year? Studies show that it boosts creativity, problem solving skills, and improves your brain's ability to process and apply new information. I believe this foundation is the the best habit, on par with consistent, actionable strategies, that will get you to where you want to be in your business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
The Owner of Tesla would say the same about smoking weed.

I do agree with the article but I would bet alot of entrepreneurs are not sleeping enough, chugging energy drinks and putting exercise on the back burner as those dollars flow in.

Which is great for someone that sees that as an opportunity as I do. :)

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

Great article with valuable insight. Do you agree that it's practically mandatory for entrepreneurs and business leaders to be training in some form of physical activity everyday to more successfully run and grow their business? How many of you are actually taking action on this instead of leaving it as your new years resolution every year? Studies show that it boosts creativity, problem solving skills, and improves your brain's ability to process and apply new information. I believe this foundation is the the best habit, on par with consistent, actionable strategies, that will get you to where you want to be in your business.

Interesting ideas.

I've sacrificed personal fitness for the last 6 months, as business hit a critical point and I started putting a lot more time and energy into it.

I don't like the way I feel. Never considered the possible mental effects on creativity and problem solving though.

Thanks for the share

sergiodcarreno

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Apr 24, 2020
Petaluma, CA
The Owner of Tesla would say the same about smoking weed.

I do agree with the article but I would bet alot of entrepreneurs are not sleeping enough, chugging energy drinks and putting exercise on the back burner as those dollars flow in.

Which is great for someone that sees that as an opportunity as I do. :)
Haha I definitely don't disagree that you can make plenty of money even if your health is horrible. Obesity has been skyrocketing in the U.S. and Entrepreneurs are not invulnerable to this, especially with our lifestyles (working long ours, getting little sleep, and reaching for the most convenient foods). However, I'm just pointing out that a lack of some physical training every day is a huge opportunity cost, even if you're already making a ton of money. The mental benefits of exercise, in my opinion, out weigh the vanity of looking better (though looking good is pretty awesome too). So if you could be that much sharper cognitively, more creative, and better at processing new info, just from working out, then why wouldn't you? If you're already making money then you'd only make more. That's how I look at it.

sergiodcarreno

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Apr 24, 2020
Petaluma, CA
Interesting ideas.

I've sacrificed personal fitness for the last 6 months, as business hit a critical point and I started putting a lot more time and energy into it.

I don't like the way I feel. Never considered the possible mental effects on creativity and problem solving though.

Thanks for the share
Hope your business is going strong, friend. It's definitely not easy to make health and fitness an everyday thing, especially when running and scaling a business. However, like anything else in business, it's all about acquiring the right skills. Your health and fitness is a skill. Once you get good at health and fitness, there's no more worrying about gaining weight because you know how to lose it if you do. And you'll be feeling way better physically and mentally for more days of your life. And if for nothing else, I would encourage you as a business leader to start a fitness routine for the mental aspects. It's already been shown that exercise can literally make you smarter, which for us means being able to generate more wealth for ourselves and family. Would you say that not finding the time is the biggest factor for you not getting back into fitness?

Also, I would recommend reading the book Spark by John J. Ratey, MD. It's dedicated to explaining all the mental benifits of exercise and it really opened my eyes to how important it is. Just a warning though, it can get really technical with it's scientific terminology, so if you're like me, it might be difficult to follow at times but it always sums up the information at the end in a way that is more easily understood.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Fitness is necessary. The problem is when you take it to the extremes and lift like a bodybuilder.
I burnt out multiple times and still have insomnia after 1-2 years. This doesn't help with business at all.
It all comes to volume and intensity.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Would you say that not finding the time is the biggest factor for you not getting back into fitness?

It's more like, sacrificing the time I was dedicating to fitness, to working on business more instead.

I wake up at 5am to work. I stay at office until 5:30 to work. I have time on the weekends, but getting out of the habit during the work week, lowered my motivation, and made it easy to skip those too. Also the rock climbing gym is closed, and slinging weights isn't nearly as fun.

Also, I would recommend reading the book Spark by John J. Ratey, MD.

Just ordered, thanks!

Historically, reading books that make a strong logical case for something, has resulted in me making permanent lifestyle changes. Technical info is welcomed.

sergiodcarreno

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Apr 24, 2020
Petaluma, CA
Fitness is necessary. The problem is when you take it to the extremes and lift like a bodybuilder.
I burnt out multiple times and still have insomnia after 1-2 years. This doesn't help with business at all.
It all comes to volume and intensity.
Wow, you must have been in absolute beast mode to develop insomnia. I definitely agree that you have to consider you current skill and fitness level with starting and give yourself enough rest times. It's all about finding the routine that will work for you. You can get amazing results without having to lift weights and without a huge time commitment. You may not get into Mr. Olympia type shape, but there is no reason that you couldn't get lean and strong.

sergiodcarreno

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Apr 24, 2020
Petaluma, CA
It's more like, sacrificing the time I was dedicating to fitness, to working on business more instead.

I wake up at 5am to work. I stay at office until 5:30 to work. I have time on the weekends, but getting out of the habit during the work week, lowered my motivation, and made it easy to skip those too. Also the rock climbing gym is closed, and slinging weights isn't nearly as fun.

Just ordered, thanks!

Historically, reading books that make a strong logical case for something, has resulted in me making permanent lifestyle changes. Technical info is welcomed.
Thats one hell of a schedule, I can understand why it's so hard for you. The last thing anyone would want to do after a draining day at work is exert more energy. However, there are ways to make it synergistic to daily work schedule. You can get into great shape and have amazing mental clarity without a huge time commitment and feeling like your sacrificing one for the other. The truth, in my experience, is that they go hand and hand as they give each other momentum. I hope the book helps you as much as it has helped me, friend.

P.S. In college I used to hit the climbing wall at least three times a week. I miss it so much so I feel your pain on that one!

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Most do not realize the Millions of dollars spent to induce them into junk foods.

I know alot of people get caught in the loop of realizing they should begin exercising, plan on it, then peek at themselves in the mirror, get a bit depressed, then self medicate with donuts. :)

Public Gyms will never be the same. Smells like opportunities.

Working out is like good Copy Writing....focus the features and benefits not all those reps!

@sergiodcarreno

Thanks for book suggestion! Found great outline...

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
The truth, in my experience, is that they go hand and hand as they give each other momentum. I hope the book helps you as much as it has helped me, friend.

Here's a theory, I need to test after reading the OP:

If working out for 30 min improves mental clarity, will it allow me to work more efficiently with the time that I do have? Possibly saving up to 30 minutes?

It might make room for itself. I know I tend to get brain fog in the afternoon.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada

If working out for 30 min improves mental clarity, will it allow me to work more efficiently with the time that I do have? Possibly saving up to 30 minutes?

Probability will. Purely looking at the endurance factor. It is safe to say that your energy level - providing great nutrition - will be higher for longer period of time.

And beyond business. The positive effects of physical exercise on the brain - on things like plasticity, reducing the decline in IQ, and even creativity - are well documented.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Wow, you must have been in absolute beast mode to develop insomnia. I definitely agree that you have to consider you current skill and fitness level with starting and give yourself enough rest times. It's all about finding the routine that will work for you. You can get amazing results without having to lift weights and without a huge time commitment. You may not get into Mr. Olympia type shape, but there is no reason that you couldn't get lean and strong.
I honestly like lifting. I've been doing it for 5 years now. I believe that if you want to look good, you must put in the effort. Of course, as a natural there are some limits.

I'm not aiming at Mr. Olympia, more like Men's Physique to be honest. I prefer lean and aesthetic over huge. I used to do powerlifting too but got tired of eating 3k calories/day so switched up my goals.

Just like in business, you should have goals of what you want to achieve. If it's more stamina, do HIIT and high volume workout. If it's strength, do nSuns and LP programs. If it's aesthetics, eat more protein and less calories overall and lift hard.

sergiodcarreno

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Apr 24, 2020
Petaluma, CA

They will definitely create momentum for each other. However, it's not gonna happen over night. The mental benefits will compound the more frequent you do your routine. This doesn't mean that you have to train hard every day, but it does mean that you should be exercising daily even if it's lightly. You have to focus on getting slightly better every day and before you know it, you're way ahead of where you used to be. It's gonna be incremental progress, but all very worth it. And of course, real nutrition (not the processed junk) will make the exercises more effective for weightloss and for the mental benefits.

James90

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jul 2, 2019
Hawaii
Exercising is mental training.

Repetitions to things that you don't want to do

• Getting out of your warm bed at 5AM to run
  • Lifting weights, when your body is still "sore"
  • Maintaining discipline in the chaos of life

is mental toughening

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Exercising is mental training.

Repetitions to things that you don't want to do

• Getting out of your warm bed at 5AM to run
  • Lifting weights, when your body is still "sore"
  • Maintaining discipline in the chaos of life

is mental toughening
Totally agree!

That means Procrastination must be shredded like a MOFO!

ha double meaning..I love when that happens.

sergiodcarreno

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Apr 24, 2020
Petaluma, CA
As entreprenuers I feel most of us have a lot of lives handled because we are motivated to be our best, but fitness and the mental training that comes with it tends to take the back burner more often then not. Yet we can all agree it makes us better a better entreprenuer. What's the biggest excuses or obstacles you see yourself or other fellow entrepreneurs facing when trying to gain better fitness?

D

DeletedUser0287

This right here! Before entrepreneurship I was a fitness junkie. Never missed the gym for like 7 years? Had a really good physique. And...then decided to go hard in business haven't went to the gym in like 2.5 years. There is simply too much to do and learn in my business.

I am practically doing the jobs of 8 different people. But to do the job of 8 different people, you gotta spend the time to acquire the knowledge too which is another time suck.

abinge05

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Mar 9, 2019
They will definitely create momentum for each other. However, it's not gonna happen over night. The mental benefits will compound the more frequent you do your routine. This doesn't mean that you have to train hard every day, but it does mean that you should be exercising daily even if it's lightly. You have to focus on getting slightly better every day and before you know it, you're way ahead of where you used to be. It's gonna be incremental progress, but all very worth it. And of course, real nutrition (not the processed junk) will make the exercises more effective for weightloss and for the mental benefits.
I've found, after getting back into my workout routine after prolonged absences, that it takes about a week for the benefits to fully emerge, but once they do, it's a game changer. No question that consistent exercise takes productivity to a new level. Morning exercise is THE most important part of my day because it enhances the remaining hours so much. Absolutely worth trading an hour of work time for. I'll never give it up.

sergiodcarreno

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Apr 24, 2020
Petaluma, CA
What
I've found, after getting back into my workout routine after prolonged absences, that it takes about a week for the benefits to fully emerge, but once they do, it's a game changer. No question that consistent exercise takes productivity to a new level. Morning exercise is THE most important part of my day because it enhances the remaining hours so much. Absolutely worth trading an hour of work time for. I'll never give it up.
You're a beast because after prolonged absences, most people don't go back and try to improve. Keep it up! What causes you to have to take prolonged absences from training though?

BaiAnrui

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands
As entreprenuers I feel most of us have a lot of lives handled because we are motivated to be our best, but fitness and the mental training that comes with it tends to take the back burner more often then not. Yet we can all agree it makes us better a better entreprenuer. What's the biggest excuses or obstacles you see yourself or other fellow entrepreneurs facing when trying to gain better fitness?

Sports (thai-Boxing and fitness) and meditation (fitness of the mind) keep me going. I noticed i am really looking forward to my workouts, and when i am not wanting to go i go also. Because i have learned, thsat when i'm not going out there to train, i'm in a bad mood that evening.

I turn 46 years this year and i am in my best shape ever. I Stopped drinking alcohol (i thougt this was a good way to relax after a busy week, what a BS by the way). After stop drinking my mind and body do function so much better.

So i can totally agree with this article, thanks for sharing!

sergiodcarreno

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Apr 24, 2020
Petaluma, CA
Sports (thai-Boxing and fitness) and meditation (fitness of the mind) keep me going. I noticed i am really looking forward to my workouts, and when i am not wanting to go i go also. Because i have learned, thsat when i'm not going out there to train, i'm in a bad mood that evening.

I turn 46 years this year and i am in my best shape ever. I Stopped drinking alcohol (i thougt this was a good way to relax after a busy week, what a BS by the way). After stop drinking my mind and body do function so much better.

So i can totally agree with this article, thanks for sharing!
Congrats, thats so good to hear! I love to see that so many of us take this as seriously as our business. You're a beast! I hope anyone reading this who needs to turn their health around feels inspured to do so. There is so much value in this thread thanks to everyone whos participated

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
I definitely feel that's the case. I start my workouts at 5am followed by meditation since mid November and I feel a day and night difference in how I approach my work and my outlook on life is so much better. After losing 40lbs, I feel happier and smarter! I also feel more focused and self-disciplined in my work as well.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

ho4848

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jul 8, 2019
World Citizen

Absolutely! I am not a big fan of doing exercises before I tried them. Probably I am too lazy to walk out of my room, and always feel sleepy when sitting for a long time.

Once I tried, I can never go back. I feel so much better doing exercises, both physically and mentally. Even just 5 minutes of intense workout, I already feel the difference.

For those who have done little exercise, the beginning is difficult, start from something small and build that momentum.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.