The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are you sitting comfortably?

Anything related to matters of the mind

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
ARE YOU TOO COMFORTABLE?

This is a bit of a strange question but one I think many of us have asked ourselves. Lets be honest if you made it onto these forums you at least have sense enough to recognise good information when you see it. I don't attest to being a motivational powerhouse and rarely have the motivation to clean my room let alone go out and try to come up with business ideas. But this hasn't always been the case.

I have always had an issue with motivation even with small things, I know now that this is due in part to having a mild form of autism but that's another story.

What I am talking about its being too comfortable in life. The times I've always been the most motivated has been when someone lit a figurative fire under me but its been by someone else or by circumstance. in one of @Vigilante 's threads he gave the example of a dog lying on a hardwood floor but the spot he was laying had a nail and so the dog would lay there and wimper at the nail but not move. This was simply because the nail wasn't enough of a bother for him to move he was too comfortable. The pain of having to go to a job or always wishing you had more in your bank balance wasn't enough of a driving force to get him off the nail.

And this is where I find myself, how how do you lit a figurative fire under you when you have less motivation to change then a hardcore republican.

-SF

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
That post you are referring to is by @AllenCrawley : https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/does-it-hurt-bad-enough.55733/

I got to tell you that this is not the only way to get motivated. I had a job for HP as a manager in the research and development department. I lived in a nice house very close to the beach in San Diego.

I started my business while working on the job and then working nights and weekends on my own stuff.

I sold my house at the beach and moved to Arizona so I could afford to quit the job.

Allen's post was very accurate for some people. It looks like you are included in this group. Some people are not satisfied with being comfortable though. It is not greed or selfishness. It is more that there are things that can be done and someone WANTS to do them.

I am a firm believer that we do what we want.... You may think you want something but if you are not taking action to achieve it, then you want something else more.

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
ARE YOU TOO COMFORTABLE?

This is a bit of a strange question but one I think many of us have asked ourselves. Lets be honest if you made it onto these forums you at least have sense enough to recognise good information when you see it. I don't attest to being a motivational powerhouse and rarely have the motivation to clean my room let alone go out and try to come up with business ideas. But this hasn't always been the case.

I have always had an issue with motivation even with small things, I know now that this is due in part to having a mild form of autism but that's another story.

What I am talking about its being too comfortable in life. The times I've always been the most motivated has been when someone lit a figurative fire under me but its been by someone else or by circumstance. in one of @Vigilante 's threads he gave the example of a dog lying on a hardwood floor but the spot he was laying had a nail and so the dog would lay there and wimper at the nail but not move. This was simply because the nail wasn't enough of a bother for him to move he was too comfortable. The pain of having to go to a job or always wishing you had more in your bank balance wasn't enough of a driving force to get him off the nail.

And this is where I find myself, how how do you lit a figurative fire under you when you have less motivation to change then a hardcore republican.

-SF

Personally I find motivation/motivational posts or videos to be less than... motivational. It's a match to ignite the flame, not the flame itself.

The flame that keeps you working, striving, looking to achieve can be sometimes hidden deep within. It's something I've spent time thinking about almost every day and I can't say I have any secrets to share, simply my limited self-diagnosis.

For me the drive to win and succeed is so practiced now that it's simply who I am - I don't know how NOT to give it my all if I care about it - even if it means beating my head against the wall for a while. This also means getting really comfortable with being uncomfortable. I'm not super man, but I make it a challenge to absolutely do something if I notice a niggle of fear in my stomach about it that will lead to procrastination, I can't tolerate that kind of behavior to be who I want to be.

But on days when I'm tired, I don't want to get out of bed to go do a 2 hour workout, or my second 1-2 hour workout for the day and then more work on the business it's a combination of habit, guilt (at not fulfilling the promise to myself and my coach/mentors), drive to overcome the feelings of inadequacy I've had since childhood and chasing that sense of accomplishment that brings joy in the process that keeps me going.

The day to day is fueled by loving the process... and I don't mean that in a hyperbolic way. I love entrepreneurship (the day to day of putting together this puzzle - solving a problem for people then figuring out how to deliver it to them) and my sport (triathlon, it's a grind).

The overall is fueled by a (possibly errant) belief that I'll be happier/more fulfilled after doing what it is I plan on doing.

But yes, getting too comfortable can be dangerous. I always come back to a phrase my college coach said when we did well that encapsulates my wall of text.

Tl;Dr
"Today I'm happy, but not satisfied."

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
The secret to actually working out everyday or e-mailing clients/customers is...

Showing up.
That's it.

Show up. Once you're there you'll figure it's a waste of your time not to do it.

I don't want to play basketball after work. It's 6:30am when I get to the court.
Last few days, it's been cold.
My body is sore from the constant do of a job.

I can tell you this though... If I don't show up, I won't do it.
I'll end up at home refreshing the screen to see if anyone needs something I can do rather than accomplishing anything.

It's lack of showing up to actually do than not doing, for me anyways.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Victor Lomax

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Apr 20, 2016
The "flame" is your "WHY". Google "what's your why" and watch that video. It may sound cheesy but knowing the deep, ingrained, probably-unearthed reason inside that is driving you is critical to your sustained success.

How do you do this? By knowing yourself. It all starts there.

How do you know yourself better?

Ask yourself the tough, socratic questions...and both say (verbalize) the answers AND write them down. If you don't do both, you didn't really answer and it isn't helping you dig deeper.

Questions such as... What are three things that excite me? What do I not know that I don't know? Assuming I am 30 now, what would my 35 year old self tell the current me?

These kind of things.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
ARE YOU TOO COMFORTABLE?

-SF

So many people out there twiddling their thumbs, not doing anything productive with their time, fooling themselves into thinking that the idle time they waste online "thinking about business" will actually lead to something.

It is often said that people who lack discipline could benefit from joining the military.

In the same way, hustlers that lack discipline - and an appreciation for how working in a business actually works - could benefit from "enlisting" in a sales position.

Stop talking so much; get out there and make some money, people!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.