The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Apple's next big thing the iPad....thoughts?

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
I think anything that's:

Shiny
Has an apple logo
Starts with i
Made by Apple

Will sell regardless of its true usefulness. lol

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I think anything that's:

Shiny
Has an apple logo
Starts with i
Made by Apple

Will sell regardless of its true usefulness. lol

This is one of the most ignorant things I've read on the fastlane this year.

Congrats mkzhang-- you had some stiff competition.

Why don't you make something shiny, name it, and put an apple logo on it.

See how well it sells.

-Russ H.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

See how well it sells.

-Russ H.

I somewhat agree with him at this point. He is not discrediting their marketing or their brand, he is reinforcing it.

I do not see too much true use in this device. its a bigger iphone/ipodT. They have had tablet PC's out for years and few people have a true need for a touch screen computer. Other than the notiriety of it, this unit will sell because of the way apple markets their products. The phone was revolutionary, the ipod was a redeux of the mp3 player which made it more useable. this one doesn't really appeal to me but i can garuntee it will make good sales.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
:iagree:

Apple is a great example of a company that adds value to their customers and supports it with their great customer service. When a company adds value, they build a strong brand name and a strong customer base. So, since many of their customers will see the Apple logo, they will know they are not buying a so-so product but something that has quality. I still have no opinion whether it is useful or not but I know once it hits the stores I will be tempted to at least try it out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007

See how well it sells.

-Russ H.

GOSH Russ..............did you get up on the wrong side of bed this morning? I know that you don’t mean to be confrontational................and I hope that you haven’t picked up any bad habits from other members of this forum that have been duly warned!:blush:

joeybags73

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 17, 2009
Talk about running out of ideas. They took the itouch/iphone and made it larger and twice as expensive. Another piece of worthless plastic material garbage that'll end up in the trash bin once something new comes along.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Talk about running out of ideas. They took the itouch/iphone and made it larger and twice as expensive. Another piece of worthless plastic material garbage that'll end up in the trash bin once something new comes along.

It starts at 500 bucks...that's cheap... and I think iPad can be a game-changer! This is the type of the devices we will be using in the future, maybe instead of computers once these become more powerful. iPad can change ebooks/books, magazines, games, TV industries. Even if this concrete device fails this is where we are going and maybe other unknown company will make it. But mark my words, this is the future!

Edit: and Apple is crushing it with opening new shop for ebooks, people will by them because Apple now gives easy access and system to use it in. I think Apple are genius!

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
My wife can use that iPad to read novel while I am driving. She is reading novels on my iPhone's tiny screen.

I think it will look really funny if someone is holding that giant ipad as iPhone near their ear.

One think Apple market the i-whatever well is not to make it a working machine but a entertainment device that you enjoy it everyday.

TabletPC is marketed as working computer and laptop. It does not intriguing the desire to use it every day for fun! So they failed.

I would buy one when it gets more accessories. Especially, it's easier to carry than a laptop when you travel light.

I am not a big Apple fan, but I choose their products to make my life easier.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009

See how well it sells.

-Russ H.

If my name was Steve Jobs I think it probably will sell very well.

Maybe you're an Apple fan. I have some Apple products, but I fail to see how some Apple products are so over priced and sell in doves outside of their pop appeal.

I read the article and it states that Mr Jobs thinks this is a missing link between the Iphone and IMac... and I think WTF? What is the missing link? The IMac or IAIR (lol) or whatever they are called are already light and thin, and the Iphone can go online and read things, what is the missing link? I frankly don't understand it.

Can they make a bigger Ipad and call it Iscreen? Because that will become the missing link between Itv and Iphone too.

Or how about a missing link between an Istove or Itoaster oven?

Does Apple make quality products? Yes. Are Apple products reliable and well made? Yes. Are every single Apple products revolutionary? No. Are all Apple product well priced? No.

I think that Apple is considered a cool brand, and will sell regardless of true usefulness. If Apple made a hybrid car it will sell better than a Prius because its cool.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I have some Apple products, but I fail to see how some Apple products are so over priced and sell in doves outside of their pop appeal.

Lighthouse said:
this unit will sell because of the way apple markets their products. The phone was revolutionary, the ipod was a redeux of the mp3 player which made it more useable. this one doesn't really appeal to me but i can garuntee it will make good sales.

Guys, this is why my post was so blunt:

Wake the #?!$% up.

I'm sorry, maybe I did wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I've been using Apple products for more than 20 years now.

Why?

Not b/c I love apple.

Or because it has the biggest market share (it doesn't)

Or because they're pretty/shiny.

Or because they're cheaper (they're not).

I've used them b/c I can get more things done w/them.

I have literally made hundreds of thousands of dollars because their products worked flawlessly, and faster than the competition.

That's why I say "Wake the #?!$% up."

We're here to learn about how to make money.

Apple knows how to do this.

Yeah, they've had numerous bloopers (anyone remember the Newton?)

But they consistently offer things with a better user interface.

THAT is why people buy them.

Not because they're shiny.

Or have an apple logo on them.

Or b/c Apple has great marketing.

Thing is: The product Apple announced today may be a total flop!

(or even a minor flop)

But that doesn't change the fact that electronics companies, all over the world, copy Apple's UIs, and their tech.

Apple is an innovator. They've been one for more than 25 years.

Look around you-- what other companies have lasted that long, w/constant innovation/new things?

Madonna comes to mind (she also hit it big in 1984, the same year Apple introduced the Mac). :)

It's easy to type out glib one liners about massively successful people, and companies.

But on the fastlane, we ask ourselves: How did they accomplish this massive success? What did they do?

And that's why I got so p*ssed off at your post, mkzhang. Because you clearly haven't ever asked yourself those questions about Apple.

Or, you did, and came up with nothing.

Either way, you missed a great opportunity to really learn something.

-Russ H.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Well if you see it that way then that's fine.

It seems like you have been using Apple for longer than I have been alive.

I look it at from the point of view of people my age, and I want to ask you this:

How much of Apple's income, comes from people like you? Who have found their product innovative, help them made money, and has superior OS or UI?

How many people bought Apple product because its cool?

I would go on a limp and say that at least 50% of people who bought Apple because Iphone is clearly cooler than my boring looking Samsung, and Imac is clearly cooler than my Gateway laptop.

All I can say is I know of all the point you brought up, but that had nothing to do with my post.

I invite you to look at where this thread is located. I invite you to look at my original post again.

I invite you to watch this video (comedy) about Apple. Maybe you can see where I was coming from.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA]YouTube - Apple Introduces Revolutionary New Laptop With No Keyboard[/ame]

I make money with my Gateway, you make yours with your Apple, what does that say about you or me? If you want to get pissed off then suit yourself

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Personally, I am no Apple fan at all. However, I did own Apple II, and PowerMac 6100, 7200 and iPhone.

Personally, Apple products sells is not entirely because of Steve Jobs, shinning looking and slick feels.

Apple product sells well, because it solves problems and helps people feel better. It's like all days of SONY Walkman. People buy it because of it's usability. Everyone wants a Walkman.

Apple is also more friendly on the human side. They know people want something looks fancier, nicer and slicker. It makes people feels like they are holding the quality diamond. Apple spent tons money on DESIGN the packaging which most PC maker don't really pay attention to.

I still use PC that get my job done. I use iPhone to have better communication. I use Sony electronic for entertainment, because they last forever.

I think iPad will sells. It fills in the gap in between other products and creates the demand.

Just my 2 cents.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
My wife can use that iPad to read novel while I am driving. She is reading novels on my iPhone's tiny screen.

I think it will look really funny if someone is holding that giant ipad as iPhone near their ear.

One think Apple market the i-whatever well is not to make it a working machine but a entertainment device that you enjoy it everyday.

TabletPC is marketed as working computer and laptop. It does not intriguing the desire to use it every day for fun! So they failed.

I would buy one when it gets more accessories. Especially, it's easier to carry than a laptop when you travel light.

I am not a big Apple fan, but I choose their products to make my life easier.

Saem idea when the e-readers like the kindle came out. I thinkthese devices are great for this if you are the type that can read with them. I think the backlight would tire the eyes after so long unless they had some sort of reading app though.

Guys, this is why my post was so blunt:

Wake the #?!$% up.

I'm sorry, maybe I did wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I've been using Apple products for more than 20 years now.

Why?

Not b/c I love apple.

Or because it has the biggest market share (it doesn't)

Or because they're pretty/shiny.

Or because they're cheaper (they're not).

I've used them b/c I can get more things done w/them.

I have literally made hundreds of thousands of dollars because their products worked flawlessly, and faster than the competition.

That's why I say "Wake the #?!$% up."

We're here to learn about how to make money.

Apple knows how to do this.

Yeah, they've had numerous bloopers (anyone remember the Newton?)

But they consistently offer things with a better user interface.

THAT is why people buy them.

Not because they're shiny.

Or have an apple logo on them.

Thing is: Today's big annoucement may be a total flop.

Or even a minor flop.

But that doesn't change the fact that electronics companies, all over the world, copy Apple's UIs, and their tech.

Apple is an innovator. They've been one for more than 25 years.

Look around you-- what other companies have lasted that long, w/constant innovation/new things?

Madonna comes to mind (she also hit it big in 1984, the same year Apple introduced the Mac).

It's easy to type out glib one liners about massively successful people, and companies.

But here, we ask ourselves: How did they accomplish this massive success? What did they do?

And that's why I got so p*ssed off at your post, mkzhang. Because you clearly haven't ever asked yourself those questions about Apple.

Or, you did, and came up with nothing.

Either way, you missed a great opportunity to really learn something.

-Russ H.

I dont know why you had quoted me telling my to 'wake up' I clearly stated that i dont agree that this product is revolutionary and went on the mention how awesome apples marketing is to be able to sell millions of whatever they make.

You are correct we are here to learn about money, but dont you think we all get a bit boring when all we do is talk about money? Can't we have objective opinions about certain products or brands that might not or might fit well in our lifestyle? Would the wold not be completly boring if their product was so tip top that everyone bought them and there was no such thing as competition or innovation on top of other products.

Like i mentioned a Tablet, and MP# player and a smart phone are nothing new. Apple turned these products into their own version. We get that. This thread was for a discussion on the Ipad. A tablet PC.... you may buy it and love it... Thats not to say you couldn't buy a HP tablet and not get similar results every time you want to use it either.

I dont think anyone here needs to 'wake up' and I'm actually quite surprised that you posted something so one sided and closed off? (i hope i am explaining this right, but the term different strokes for different folks comes to mind here) I dont see anything wrong with what mxkhang orginally posted, nearly his opinion on apples latest product, and a connotation of their selling power and brand-ability.

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009
"Apple is an innovator."
Well so much for innovation when they copied iBooks from Delicious Monster...
They really went too far with this one, why didn't they buy the team and build it or licenced from Delicious Monster?

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Also this is for you Russ, I designed and made everything in this video from the ground up. I doubt I can do the same with a Mac (no offense to Apple). From a product design stand point Apple OS is the most unfriendly and useless OS in terms of capability with different hardware and home made open source code, microcontrollers, and various other C++ or Basic coding.

There are different system for different users, I am just surprised at Russ's response.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWNzpH_nnyU]YouTube - Advance Road Awareness System[/ame]

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
. . . I clearly stated that i dont agree that this product is revolutionary and went on the mention how awesome apples marketing is to be able to sell millions of whatever they make.

I guess that is my point. When Apple intro'd the Mac, lots of naysayers said "this is the same thing everyone else is doing. It's just in a pretty box".

It wasn't. They missed the point.

When Apple intro'd the I-Mac, lots of folks said "this is the same thing everyone else is doing. It's just in a pretty box".

It wasn't. They missed the point, too.

When Apple intro'd the i-Pod, lots of folks said, "this is just an MP3 player. It's just in a pretty box".

Again: Missed the point.

When Apple intro'd the i-Phone, folks said, "This is just a cell phone. It's just in a pretty box".

Can you see my point?

Do you guys honestly think everyone is buying these things because they're in pretty boxes?

Or b/c Apple has great marketing?

Or b/c they're "popular"?

It's the other way around:

They're popular/cool b/c they do things BETTER. Or faster. Or easier.

They have a better user interface. And they're less buggy.

Or, they do things in a way that's never been done before, that people like.

You'd need to be an old timer to appreciate the Sony Walkman (came out in 1980). The comparison of Apple products to the Sony Walkman was dead on. I remember the looks on people's faces when they'd put on Sony's super lightweight headphones (something they'd never experienced-- headphones that were so light), and their jaws dropped when they heard the stereo sound coming from such a small box.

Sure, it was hissy and lo-fi compared to today's tech.

But back then, it was game changing.

Game changing is what the fastlane is all about.

That's why I sad the post was ignorant. It totally missed the fact that Apple is a game changer.

-Russ H.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Forget it, I guess you completely missed the point of my original post which was a joke pointing at what's become of Apple's reputation in the mass media today.

Also game changing is different to everyone, what Apple's OS is game changing to you might not be to me. What Sony walkman is game changing to the masses is not game changing to audio heads.

There is absolutely zero sense of humor here.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
You are correct we are here to learn about money, but dont you think we all get a bit boring when all we do is talk about money? Can't we have objective opinions about certain products or brands that might not or might fit well in our lifestyle? Would the wold not be completly boring if their product was so tip top that everyone bought them and there was no such thing as competition or innovation on top of other products.

I dont think anyone here needs to 'wake up' and I'm actually quite surprised that you posted something so one sided and closed off? (i hope i am explaining this right, but the term different strokes for different folks comes to mind here) I dont see anything wrong with what mxkhang orginally posted, nearly his opinion on apples latest product, and a connotation of their selling power and brand-ability.

You're right-- I am being very heavy handed about this. For that, I apologize.

It's just that I've been hearing this about Apple for decades.

And I love you guys. Really.

You're like family to me.

Where I come from, if someone thinks they're being clever, and makes a stupid comment, a good friend or family member (someone who cares about them) gives them something called a "dope slap". No, not the gangsta definition. It's what Moe gave Larry or Curly when they'd do something stupid:

(please note-- although the video below shows many dope slaps, only one is typically needed when someone exhibits stupid behavior. So please don't play the video all the way through-- one slap is all I'm talkin' about!) :)

[video=youtube;u4ZgVRJ-H8U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZgVRJ-H8U]YouTube - The Three Stooges - Moe Slap Happy[/video]

So I'm not yelling at you, or calling you stupid in general.

I'm just giving you a dope slap. What a friend gives someone they like, to say "Hey, you're smarter than that".

Who knows if this product will be a winner, or not? I don't have a clue.

But here's the thing: Your critiques in this thread are not based on the iPad.

Because you've never used one.

They are generalized statements about Apple, and its products.

I thought the first statement, that mkzhang made, really showed an ignorance of Apple's groundbreaking ability to be a game-changer.

Hence, my dope slap.

You may not like Apple.

And you may actually believe that Apple is a company that makes shiny pretty boxes, and that is their only claim to fame.

But if that's all you see when you look at an Apple product, I think you've really missed a lot.

-Russ H.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I would go on a limb and say that at least 50% of people who bought Apple because Iphone is clearly cooler than my boring looking Samsung, and Imac is clearly cooler than my Gateway laptop.

Do you really seriously believe this? I'd say 99% of the users who bought Apple are fed up with PC's, and it has nothing to do with "coolness" ...

Also this is for you Russ, I designed and made everything in this video from the ground up. I doubt I can do the same with a Mac (no offense to Apple). From a product design stand point Apple OS is the most unfriendly and useless OS in terms of capability with different hardware and home made open source code, microcontrollers, and various other C++ or Basic coding.

There are different system for different users, I am just surprised at Russ's response.

YouTube - Advance Road Awareness System

Impressive!:eusa_clap:

phade

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2008
Hawaii
I see this as a great opportunity for Apple and other software vendors to further sales in commercial/industrial settings. My first thought when I saw the news on this this morning: My doctor could use it to show his clients their charts instead of that tiny laptop he carries around the office. It's much more portable, and maybe friendlier to use than the notebook which seems to puzzle him much of the time. That, and the "cool factor" of it being a shiny apple branded device wouldn't hurt his Dr./patient relationships either.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
But here's the thing: Your critiques in this thread are not based on the iPad.

Because you've never used one.

They are generalized statements about Apple, and its products.

I thought the first statement, that mkzhang made, really showed an ignorance of Apple's groundbreaking ability to be a game-changer.

Look, I have an iPod (three actually, bought one, defective, return it for another, and then bought a third for my GF) because its simply the best damn MP3 player ever. It sounds amazing, its easy to use, and it looks great. It's over priced but I simply don't care.

Now why I said what I said, and this is for MJ as well:

You both are not kids anymore, therefore its tough to see how the kids (which is a vital source of their income you have to admit) view Apple.

Where I came from (check Central Jersey, check that MTV show "Jersey Shore"), everyone has Apple.

Everyone has a BMW.

Everyone lives in a Mc Mansion.

I lived in a crappy rental townhouse :( lol

Before Iphone came out, all my friends wanted Blackberry, because its cool, its expensive, it's literally the king of cellphones from a price standpoint. It would look great along side their Gucci bags and Armani shirts.

Now the same people all want (or already have) Iphones.

So you understand where I come from now?

Then again the same people are still partying up in college while I have my own business, a paid off Lexus, graduated early and learning valuable real world experiences.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I'm just wondering if, after 8 hours of feminine hygiene jokes running rampant on the web, maybe Steve wishes he had gone with the name iTablet, rather than iPad?

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Do you really seriously believe this? I'd say 99% of the users who bought Apple are fed up with PC's, and it has nothing to do with "coolness" ...

MJ:

I am that 1% of people who still use PC, but use iPhone to have better communication. I have all the Facebook, Twitter, GPS, Location based social network and Calendar, Google Voice and Email stuff on my iPhone. No MP3, No Video, No Game. I use iPhone because no other smart phone can easily do what iPhone do. When I got home, I still hook my iPhone with my PC, which get my job done.

I don't think a billion dollar company can last that long and depends solely on a pretty boxed products. There is technology behind and money well spent.

For those who buy iPhone, iPod, iMac because your friends have one and look good are just simply too materialized and missing the points of creating a high profitable product. All those shinning boxes are just packaging for marketing purpose.

If your products won't solve people's problems or offer fresh valuable features, it won't last long.

Done my trash talk. :sleep:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
You both are not kids anymore, therefore its tough to see how the kids (which is a vital source of their income you have to admit) view Apple.

Where I came from (check Central Jersey, check that MTV show "Jersey Shore"), everyone has Apple.

Everyone has a BMW.

Everyone lives in a Mc Mansion.

I lived in a crappy rental townhouse :( lol

Before Iphone came out, all my friends wanted Blackberry, because its cool, its expensive, it's literally the king of cellphones from a price standpoint. It would look great along side their Gucci bags and Armani shirts.

Now the same people all want (or already have) Iphones.

So you understand where I come from now?

Then again the same people are still partying up in college while I have my own business, a paid off Lexus, graduated early and learning valuable real world experiences.

This is a great start-- you are looking/seeing the differences, and what people have.

Next step is to figure out WHY they got this stuff.

Reason Crackberries were so popular is not b/c they were considered "cool"-- that's not how it all started. It started b/c people who needed to be in touch w/their emails LOVED these things.

Reason ipods became popular was not b/c of sound quality, or b/c they were cool. It was b/c they were really easy to use, had a GREAT interface for loading songs, WERE LEGAL (ie, no Napster issues), and were tiny. I remember the guys in my industry shaking their heads and going, "No, it's not audiophile quality. But this dinky thing has 1000 songs on it-- that's f-ing amazing. I can carry my whole music library around with me!"

Again, it was a game changer.

Here's the thing:

I spent 25+ years involved in the electronics biz. I made a lot of my money from folks called "early adopters". These are the people who HAVE to have the latest stuff. They typically do lots of research (or know who to talk to that has done the research), and they buy the latest/greatest tech.

Early adopters LOVE to show off their stuff to those who don't have it.

Remember the first time someone showed you an ipod? Or an iphone?

That person may not have been an early adopter-- but if you followed the buying chain, back to the beginning, you'd find these folks.

Some might call them trend setters. That's not always the case. Sometimes they buy stuff that doesn't catch on (Betamax, Duad, Quad, HD DVD, the list is endless).

But that's OK. They don't do it because they want to be trend setters. They do it b/c they *love* new technology, and want to be the first on their block.

Anyways, if you ever decide to study the consumer food chain, it's a trip. And a great lesson in being in the right place at the right time.

Very fastlane. :urock2:

-Russ H.

Last edited:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

YouTube - Advance Road Awareness System

Very impressive. My programming expertise goes back to remote terminals w/tape readers and Basic (c. 1973).

That's about where it stopped, too. ;)

I got into other things-- making movies (back before we had VCRs and video cams), wiring up music and video systems (before we had CDs, DVDs), and using banks of closed-contact switches to control things (pre-chip).

Very old school.

I love what is available nowadays, even though I don't have the knowledge/expertise to really take advantage of it.

In that way, I'm like a typical Apple user: I buy the product not to mod it--but to USE it for what it does.

Use the ipod for music.

Use the Imac for web stuff, writing, engineering drawings.

I don't have an iphone, but will soon-- only b/c I need to see how our website (and our competitor's websites) look and feel on it.

Your video gives me a much better feel for where you're coming from.

From an engineer/DIY code-writer's perspective, the Apple OS is terrible.

But from a user's perspective? Amazing.

IMO, that is the reason for Apple's success.

It's not about shiny boxes.

Or marketing.

It's about user interface. And making something that people LOVE.

(and that's why I think it's a great case study for fastlaners)

-Russ H.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
this is actually a fantastic concept. I've yearned for a product that can merge the benefits of the iphone and the conventional laptop.

making the switch to an iphone never made sense for me. The phone calls are much more important to me than the gadget's ability to entertain me. (AT&T service in my area kinda sucks and Verizon, the evil empire they are actually has superior coverage)

so.... this is a great idea but I have a couple of questions:

could this gadget possibly save money by ridding of the in home broad band if I got the wifi3G/64gb?

I wonder if the case to carry the ipad will have a handle or strap... that will make the difference for me, but I'm afraid it will look too much like a man-purse :smxG:

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009
this is actually a fantastic concept. I've yearned for a product that can merge the benefits of the iphone and the conventional laptop.

making the switch to an iphone never made sense for me. The phone calls are much more important to me than the gadget's ability to entertain me. (AT&T service in my area kinda sucks and Verizon, the evil empire they are actually has superior coverage)

so.... this is a great idea but I have a couple of questions:

could this gadget possibly save money by ridding of the in home broad band if I got the wifi3G/64gb?

I wonder if the case to carry the ipad will have a handle or strap... that will make the difference for me, but I'm afraid it will look too much like a man-purse :smxG:

I use my iPhone in my home wifi so the iPad will work ok...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.