The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone with experience in fitness e-books/freelance?

RisingToTheTop

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 15, 2016
Hey guys, so since I´ve joined a couple of days ago I´ve been holding myself accountable and taking action every day. I´ve started to learn copy, Web Design, keeping up with the Online Marketing course I´m taking and also looking for a Slowlane job (got a call from ICBC, interview soon). With all that being said, I need to take some ACTIVE action, and by that I mean generating some sweet sweet dollars right now.

I´ve been thinking about which skills I got right this second that can help me generate some income without a big investment and my knowledge on fitness/nutrition is the only thing that has come to my mind. With that being said, I´m thinking of writing a fitness related e-book and offering nutrition and fitness gigs on Fiverr aswell. The main advantage I see by going this route compared to offering other freelance services is how much it adheres to the Commandment of Time, as, for example, once I´ve written a nutrition plan there are not many changes to be made for different customers, so even if I sell the plan for $5, it probably takes less than 5 minutes to get it done.

I also think there is a big opportunity right now for the vegan niche, as I´ve seen many more people being interested in veganism lately, and a bunch of vegans youtube channels are getting way more attention than before.

My main concern with going this route is how saturated this market seems to be (fitness in general, not the vegan niche). It looks like everyone and their moms are trying to sell a fitness/nutrition product. Let me be really clear about this: I´m not choosing this market because it is my passion and want to live from it forever, but simply because I´ve been training for a while now and I´ve got some knowledge about it that can be put to use right now, but whenever I get more experienced with other skills (Website Design mainly as it is the topic that interests me the most for now) I´m going that way, but it would be great to make some cash in the meantime.

It seems to me that the people that make serious bucks in this sector are the ones with a large following on social media, but I have no intention on going that way as:
1) Getting a big following in youtube/instagram,etc takes quite some time (generally around 2-3 years, and that´s if you are lucky)
2) It violates the Commandment of Time, as you become the brand itself, and people are only interested in consuming you, meaning you can´t detach yourself from the business, and making youtube videos + managing other social media is pretty much a full timejob.

So TLDR:
1) Do you have experience with this sector? Do you think there´s decent money to be made?
2) If you´ve published a fitness related e-book, what do you think it´s the best way to generate traffic and attention to it? Best way to market? Building a website VS just selling from Amazon,etc?

Thanks guys! Hope everyone is doing great!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
It seems to me that the people that make serious bucks in this sector are the ones with a large following on social media, but I have no intention on going that way as:
1) Getting a big following in youtube/instagram,etc takes quite some time (generally around 2-3 years, and that´s if you are lucky)
2) It violates the Commandment of Time, as you become the brand itself, and people are only interested in consuming you, meaning you can´t detach yourself from the business, and making youtube videos + managing other social media is pretty much a full timejob.
There's a reason for this. There's a reason people listen to Arnold, and there's a reason if someone says Arnold they know exactly which Arnold it is.

Who are you?

No one.

Why would I buy a fitness program from a no one when I can get a proven program from a proven figure.

If you think becoming the brand is a violation of the time commandment, you're foolish.

If you think you'll write a half-a$$ workout and nutrition plan that's been done 1,000 times before and make money, you're foolish.

People are only interested in consuming you? That's not a bad thing. I think even @MJ DeMarco would agree that making $,$$$+ for speaking for an hour is pretty fastlane. Don't take CENTS so literally.

Last edited by a moderator:

RisingToTheTop

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 15, 2016
Thanks for the link, great read!

There's a reason for this. There's a reason people listen to Arnold, and there's a reason if someone says Arnold they know exactly which Arnold it is.

Who are you?

No one.

Why would I buy a fitness program from a no one when I can get a proven program from a proven figure.

If you think becoming the brand is a violation of the time commandment, you're foolish.

If you think you'll write a half-a$$ workout and nutrition plan that's been done 1,000 times before and make money, you're foolish.

People are only interested in consuming you? That's not a bad thing. I think even @MJ DeMarco would agree that making $,$$$+ for speaking for an hour is pretty fastlane. Don't take CENTS so literally.

Harsh, but real. Thanks for being completely honest, and you are absolutely right now that I see it that way.

Heisenberglives

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Nov 7, 2016
England
I wrote 5/6 fitness books a few years back when I was working my first job. Each one went to #1 in their respective categories on Amazon but quickly fell off, due to not having any sort of funnel in place. Received a lot of complimentary emails that people had taken the time to write though, which was really nice and helped me catch the entepreneurial 'bug'. Probably made £1500 tops.

The fitness space is very much personal brand-dominated. I know a lot of guys in the industry though and they aren't above-average smart. They just take action towards specific goals like everybody else.

Marquin Brewer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Oct 18, 2016
Hey guys, so since I´ve joined a couple of days ago I´ve been holding myself accountable and taking action every day. I´ve started to learn copy, Web Design, keeping up with the Online Marketing course I´m taking and also looking for a Slowlane job (got a call from ICBC, interview soon). With all that being said, I need to take some ACTIVE action, and by that I mean generating some sweet sweet dollars right now.

I´ve been thinking about which skills I got right this second that can help me generate some income without a big investment and my knowledge on fitness/nutrition is the only thing that has come to my mind. With that being said, I´m thinking of writing a fitness related e-book and offering nutrition and fitness gigs on Fiverr aswell. The main advantage I see by going this route compared to offering other freelance services is how much it adheres to the Commandment of Time, as, for example, once I´ve written a nutrition plan there are not many changes to be made for different customers, so even if I sell the plan for $5, it probably takes less than 5 minutes to get it done.

I also think there is a big opportunity right now for the vegan niche, as I´ve seen many more people being interested in veganism lately, and a bunch of vegans youtube channels are getting way more attention than before.

My main concern with going this route is how saturated this market seems to be (fitness in general, not the vegan niche). It looks like everyone and their moms are trying to sell a fitness/nutrition product. Let me be really clear about this: I´m not choosing this market because it is my passion and want to live from it forever, but simply because I´ve been training for a while now and I´ve got some knowledge about it that can be put to use right now, but whenever I get more experienced with other skills (Website Design mainly as it is the topic that interests me the most for now) I´m going that way, but it would be great to make some cash in the meantime.

So TLDR:
1) Do you have experience with this sector? Do you think there´s decent money to be made?
2) If you´ve published a fitness related e-book, what do you think it´s the best way to generate traffic and attention to it? Best way to market? Building a website VS just selling from Amazon,etc?

I think another question to answer is what is your usp (unique selling proposition) which I think another person replied to above you must brand yourself. How will your ebook be different among a sea of others? How will you move potential customers to choose you? How?

Sean Haddad

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 8, 2016

Who are you?

No one.

While this is true, I don't think it really applies to what OP is going for. Arnold's whole life was bodybuilding, versus OP who is choosing the fitness niche "simply because I´ve been training for a while now and I´ve got some knowledge about it that can be put to use". It doesn't seem like he's looking to build a brand.

That being said: OP, the online health & fitness market is saturated like a motherfcker. To be honest, I wouldn't choose it if you are just trying to make a quick buck. I'd advise getting that slowlane job for cash and focus on your interests (online marketing/web design). Once you have enough proficiency you can hit the ground running to make money in that realm. FYI, I'm in the fitness niche right now (own a blog that makes no money). I'm a beginner though.

I took a webinar fby Mike Dillard that centered around building a sales funnel with Facebook ads, and I plan to test out this strategy once I've written an ebook and created a product. It was broken down like this:
  • Pay for Facebook ads to targeted market
  • Ad leads to landing page selling ebook (front-end product) for cheap ($1-10), with email opt-in
  • After purchase, you email them with another offer (upsell product) for a moderate price ($50+)
  • Later, email them offer providing a subscription service
The idea was that if your product sells and your ad/copy has good conversions, your revenue from the targeted FB ads will pay for the advertising itself. Then you can scale up. Very passive and you pay for traffic, instead of trying to spend time generating it from SEO and all that. Only drawback is you need some capital to test your ads, because you most likely won't hit the sweet spot on the first try.

Hope that helps.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011

So TLDR:

If you're entering the vegan market - My suggestion is to surround yourself in the Vegan culture. It took me 6 months to really understand what it's really about. If you go into the vegan community and talk about it being for health - they'll see right through you as an entrepreneur who is simply looking to profit from them.

I say this from experience making that mistake.

Veganism is about saving animal's lives - not a diet.

For the commandant of time - look at Real Social Dynamics (mens dating). They have their brand, but the brand is a team of instructors, so even if Owen (Tyler) or Nick - the two owners of the company - are not on the forefront of the business, they still have the instructor team to be the brands.

But they started off building the company brand.

Forget the commandment of time when you start - there are ways to exit later on. Model their approach if that's a concern for you.

For getting attention for your ebook - The focus here seems to be on 'the ebook' and not so much on the problem to solve, that is unique, and not already solved.

I personally work in the mindset space (not fitness/health), but my process is as follows:

1. Learn it myself.
2. Do it myself.
3. Work on others doing live sessions (this is where I gain the most experience and insights and can become that expert).
4. Publish based on experience.

This is the route to a higher quality book.

And finally...

Do this for the 6-12 month goal. Not the "make money next week goal"

You can make money sooner by offering services in person - but focus on fixing problems, not the delivery method of your solution (membership site/ebook/etc.)

Check out my thread here - https://thefastlaneforum.com/commun...vercome-junk-food-cravings.71354/#post-574393

I speak from my mistakes and lessons learned from them...my advice isn't the only way.

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
Oh, man. What do I do with my profile pic now?

By the way, are you sure you've read the book? "Guys, how do I get some of that sweet, sweet dollar RIGHT NOW?" doesn't seem like a right mindset. Why not try: "What can I do/make that will make people want to pay me for it?" Start there. You may need to learn something beforehand, but starting right now often means fail later.

As far as freelancing goes:
- Avoid scams. With new clients, some will want to scam you, so offers like: "I'll pay you weekly." are best passed on. By the time the week's over, you've lost too much. If you're scammed for a single project, much less impact(actually happened to, when I "started right now").
- Outsource. You can't, won't, and don't want to do all of the work yourself. Hire the indian guy, your neighbor, your mom, or your dog. Doesn't matter who, as long as they can provide comparable or better service than you. That's the other reason. You're never the best at what you do(globally, that is). There's always someone faster, more talented, or more diligent. And that's a great thing.

I never had anything to do with the fitness industry, but I do have some advice. You shouldn't either. There are plenty of places for you to work your a$$ off that will get you more buck for your bang.

RisingToTheTop

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 15, 2016
While this is true, I don't think it really applies to what OP is going for. Arnold's whole life was bodybuilding, versus OP who is choosing the fitness niche "simply because I´ve been training for a while now and I´ve got some knowledge about it that can be put to use". It doesn't seem like he's looking to build a brand.

That being said: OP, the online health & fitness market is saturated like a motherfcker. To be honest, I wouldn't choose it if you are just trying to make a quick buck. I'd advise getting that slowlane job for cash and focus on your interests (online marketing/web design). Once you have enough proficiency you can hit the ground running to make money in that realm. FYI, I'm in the fitness niche right now (own a blog that makes no money). I'm a beginner though.

I took a webinar fby Mike Dillard that centered around building a sales funnel with Facebook ads, and I plan to test out this strategy once I've written an ebook and created a product. It was broken down like this:
  • Pay for Facebook ads to targeted market
  • Ad leads to landing page selling ebook (front-end product) for cheap ($1-10), with email opt-in
  • After purchase, you email them with another offer (upsell product) for a moderate price ($50+)
  • Later, email them offer providing a subscription service
The idea was that if your product sells and your ad/copy has good conversions, your revenue from the targeted FB ads will pay for the advertising itself. Then you can scale up. Very passive and you pay for traffic, instead of trying to spend time generating it from SEO and all that. Only drawback is you need some capital to test your ads, because you most likely won't hit the sweet spot on the first try.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot for your response man! Yeah, my original idea was not to establish a brand but to be able to generate some income while working on other skills that will probably end up being more profitable in the end. That being said, what @Charnell said makes a lot of sense and definitely made me see things under a different light.

That strategy you posted seems like a good idea actually, hard to determine it´s success and the rate of convertion you will achieve given the fact you are not established yet in the fitness world. Hope you all the best and would like to know if it ends up working!

If you're entering the vegan market - My suggestion is to surround yourself in the Vegan culture. It took me 6 months to really understand what it's really about. If you go into the vegan community and talk about it being for health - they'll see right through you as an entrepreneur who is simply looking to profit from them.

I say this from experience making that mistake.

Veganism is about saving animal's lives - not a diet.

For the commandant of time - look at Real Social Dynamics (mens dating). They have their brand, but the brand is a team of instructors, so even if Owen (Tyler) or Nick - the two owners of the company - are not on the forefront of the business, they still have the instructor team to be the brands.

But they started off building the company brand.

Forget the commandment of time when you start - there are ways to exit later on. Model their approach if that's a concern for you.

For getting attention for your ebook - The focus here seems to be on 'the ebook' and not so much on the problem to solve, that is unique, and not already solved.

I personally work in the mindset space (not fitness/health), but my process is as follows:

1. Learn it myself.
2. Do it myself.
3. Work on others doing live sessions (this is where I gain the most experience and insights and can become that expert).
4. Publish based on experience.

This is the route to a higher quality book.

And finally...

Do this for the 6-12 month goal. Not the "make money next week goal"

You can make money sooner by offering services in person - but focus on fixing problems, not the delivery method of your solution (membership site/ebook/etc.)

Check out my thread here - https://thefastlaneforum.com/commun...vercome-junk-food-cravings.71354/#post-574393

I speak from my mistakes and lessons learned from them...my advice isn't the only way.

Great points man. Checked your thread aswell, very interesting indeed!

Oh, man. What do I do with my profile pic now?

By the way, are you sure you've read the book? "Guys, how do I get some of that sweet, sweet dollar RIGHT NOW?" doesn't seem like a right mindset. Why not try: "What can I do/make that will make people want to pay me for it?" Start there. You may need to learn something beforehand, but starting right now often means fail later.

As far as freelancing goes:
- Avoid scams. With new clients, some will want to scam you, so offers like: "I'll pay you weekly." are best passed on. By the time the week's over, you've lost too much. If you're scammed for a single project, much less impact(actually happened to, when I "started right now").
- Outsource. You can't, won't, and don't want to do all of the work yourself. Hire the indian guy, your neighbor, your mom, or your dog. Doesn't matter who, as long as they can provide comparable or better service than you. That's the other reason. You're never the best at what you do(globally, that is). There's always someone faster, more talented, or more diligent. And that's a great thing.

I never had anything to do with the fitness industry, but I do have some advice. You shouldn't either. There are plenty of places for you to work your a$$ off that will get you more buck for your bang.

Haha, nice profile pic man;).
You are right about my mindset, I have to keep working on it as I´m a little too focused on the money making part and not 100% on solving a problem. I will get there eventually, just need to stay focused.

Great info on freelancing, scammers are a part of every business, specially when just starting out, so I will definitely keep an eye on them. Regarding outsourcing, that is my plan from the get-go. I´m working on learning the skill, get decent at it, build somewhat of a reputation and then outsource while reaping out the benefits, easier said than done of course but that is the plan.

And yep, fitness is overcrowded as hell, but I was looking for a way to start generating some income while building skills on other less crowded niches. I still got an idea that might work regarding fitness, so I will try it out and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.