The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone subscribe to The Wall Street Journal?

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
I've been considering subscribing to The Wall Street Journal. Has anyone subbed to it? What do you like/not like about it? Do you think it's worth it?

Many thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
After having worked as customer service to the New York Times. I don't want anything to deal with any newspapers ever again.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I subscribed to it a couple times when they had good deals that made it worth it, like $1 a month for 3 months or whatever. They come nearly everyday so paper adds up fast.

Eventually, I came to realize that I wasn’t gaining anything from it. I prefer to invest in smaller companies. The WSJ mainly focuses on large companies that are making “headlines” or common economic news. I never really read the political articles as it was all wasted space to me.

It depends on why you want to read it. What are you hoping to get out of it?

YoungPadawan

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
I subscribed to it a couple times when they had good deals that made it worth it, like $1 a month for 3 months or whatever. They come nearly everyday so paper adds up fast.

Eventually, I came to realize that I wasn’t gaining anything from it. I prefer to invest in smaller companies. The WSJ mainly focuses on large companies that are making “headlines” or common economic news. I never really read the political articles as it was all wasted space to me.

It depends on why you want to read it. What are you hoping to get out of it?
I like reading some of the articles and want to learn more on the commodities/futures markets through the site.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
dude it’s literally $12 for 3 months

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 10.08.31 PM.png

for the amount of effort to post this thread you could have just subbed and tried it

The Wall Street Journal

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
dude it’s literally $12 for 3 months

View attachment 21606

for the amount of effort to post this thread you could have just subbed and tried it

The Wall Street Journal
That's the introductory offer.

They charge you more after that.

Then when it comes to cancellation they upsell these other offers to try to keep you as a subscriber.

For NYTimes, you have to call to cancel. The automated voice system would ask for your account information. But no matter what you gave it, it would say, "Sorry we don't that in our system". Then it would put you on hold for at least 15 minutes to get you to a Customer Service Rep just to cancel your subscription.

A lot of customer are impatient and get angry and hang up. So they keep getting charged anyway.

Then the customer would start complaining for 30 minutes. But you have to tell them, "Our Account Management Department are the ones that deal with cancellation. I have to send you to them." The customer would complain even more. It would be another 5minute hold to transfer them over.

The "Account Management Department" is called Save To Stop. Here they just upsell offers to keep you as a subscriber. They don't take no for an answer. Why? They het a dollar/hour bonus for each save.

No Bueno. As my dad always says at a Wedding, "DON'T DO IT!"

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Then when it comes to cancellation they upsell these other offers to try to keep you as a subscriber.

For NYTimes, you have to call to cancel. The automated voice system would ask for your account information. But no matter what you gave it, it would say, "Sorry we don't that in our system". Then it would put you on hold for at least 15 minutes to get you to a Customer Service Rep just to cancel your subscription.

A lot of customer are impatient and get angry and hang up. So they keep getting charged anyway.

Then the customer would start complaining for 30 minutes. But you have to tell them, "Our Account Management Department are the ones that deal with cancellation. I have to send you to them." The customer would complain even more. It would be another 5minute hold to transfer them over.

The "Account Management Department" is called Save To Stop. Here they just upsell offers to keep you as a subscriber. They don't take no for an answer. Why? They het a dollar/hour bonus for each save.

Ugh, I hate that. When that happens I just call my bank and have them block them from charging.

YoungPadawan

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015

Bingo, Bango, Bongo

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I mean my personal experience? I follow them and get their free articles, but I’ve never seen anything compelling enough to make me want to pull out my CC.

Although, this is considered to be the greatest sales letter of all time, selling over $2 Billion worth the magazines:

http://swiped.co/file/wallstreet-letter-conroy/

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
I mean my personal experience? I follow them and get their free articles, but I’ve never seen anything compelling enough to make me want to pull out my CC.

Although, this is considered to be the greatest sales letter of all time, selling over $2 Billion worth the magazines:

http://swiped.co/file/wallstreet-letter-conroy/
It's like writing an essay. They hook you in with the story. The main theme/motif being Tai Lopez's favorite word. "Knawledge". Then it comes back full circle in the closing.

A+

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I subscribe. I quit for a while. Missed it and got it back.

TV news is complete garbage and WSJ has been my go to news source for over a decade.

I highly recommend. Also, the average net worth of WSJ subscribers is like 3 million dollars.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
Your public/local university library should have it for free if you want to check it out.

If you have a valid .edu email, its like $4/month, I'd pay twice that. The Wall Street Journal

Your local business journal is also a good source-- I found my bank that gave me my line of credit, paid for a lifetime of subscriptions.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I subscribe. I quit for a while. Missed it and got it back.

TV news is complete garbage and WSJ has been my go to news source for over a decade.

I highly recommend. Also, the average net worth of WSJ subscribers is like 3 million dollars.
I've see you reccomend the WSJ a few times now and I follow then and read, what do you like about it?

I read them sometimes, but the majority of my news I get from Reuters or the Associated Press as they have almost no political bias.

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 2.00.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 2.01.13 PM.png

https:/mediabiasfactcheck.com/

WSJ leans slightly right, but certainly not enough to bother me.

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 2.01.48 PM.png

Anyway, aside from the apparent lack of political bias (mostly,) is there anything else you like about them. I read them a little bit, but since I usually get the majority of my news from Reuters/AP, I never really dug in.

This is actually set as my homepage:

Least Biased - Media Bias/Fact Check

LaraJF

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Apr 1, 2017
Silicon Valley, California
After having worked as customer service to the New York Times. I don't want anything to deal with any newspapers ever again.

I worked in the tech dept of a major newspaper group and I'm with you on that. However, the WSJ has a lot of interesting articles that I enjoy. And movie reviews.

My subscription is online only.

Why do I like it? I can always find something interesting or thought provoking and don't feel like it's pure mind control. I cancelled my local paper after the OpEd headlines encroached on the front page. Just report and let me make up my own mind.

Anyway, I liked the suggestion of the library. See if you like it. Or try it for 90 days. they have special packages, I'm sure.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
I like reading some of the articles and want to learn more on the commodities/futures markets through the site.

It's probably worth it for that use case.

I have a subscription, but I don't get any value from it. I'm looking at the headlines in the Business section right now and I don't care about any of the articles.

The local business journal is much better for me and provides much more actual business insight. WSJ is stuff like "GE's dividend is investors' focus" and "PepsiCo Returns to Growth in Beverage Sales."

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
I'm an active investor and I find no particular value in the Wall Street Journal. At the end of the day (if you're investing) you're still going to have to do your own research and read annual reports and whatnot.

andrewsyc

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Aug 14, 2017
Iowa
Get it 6 days a week. Just sign up for 1 year paper/digital for $200 or so, one-lump deal.

Once a week I'll spend a few hours reading the week's news. WSJ gives you an idea of companies, background, and the deals they're doing; understanding of parts of the economy.

I like the NYtimes and other publications but they usually lean more toward social issues. While I do take concern and like to read about such things, Vanity Fair and other sources aren't a priority.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Also, the average net worth of WSJ subscribers is like 3 million dollars.

So if you're worth much more than $3M, you'd be weighting yourself down by reading it? Shouldn't we read and hang out with people who are much more successful than us? ;):playful:

I prefer Barrons and Investors Business Daily.

They make great "coffee on the patio" reading.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
So if you're worth much more than $3M, you'd be weighting yourself down by reading it? Shouldn't we read and hang out with people who are much more successful than us? ;):playful:

I prefer Barrons and Investors Business Daily.

They make great "coffee on the patio" reading.

Hahaha. LMAO

Still the richest average readership of any publication.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I'm an active investor and I find no particular value in the Wall Street Journal. At the end of the day (if you're investing) you're still going to have to do your own research and read annual reports and whatnot.

Right, it isn’t right for active investing.

It’s more of an overall news source, pretty much unbiased, and looks at things from a business minded perspective.

Fox News enrages me just as much as any of the communist outlets these days... They remind me of The Weather Channel when a hurricane is in the Gulf. CNBC is the dumb money bandwagon. Bloomberg sucks.

Studies show you learn more from reading than watching. To me it’s kind of the last frontier in educated, business minded, print-journalism.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Right, it isn’t right for active investing.

It’s more of an overall news source, pretty much unbiased, and looks at things from a business minded perspective.

It works for me. Fox News enrages me just as much as any of the communist outlets these days... They remind me of The Weather Channel when a hurricane is in the Gulf.

Studies show you learn more from reading than watching. To me it’s kind of the last frontier in educated, business minded, print-journalism.

You’d probably like these three resources:

AllSides | Balanced news via media bias ratings for an unbiased news perspective

Search News based on Highly Factual Reporting

I can’t stand my news being tainted with skewed politics. Left, right. Like yo... i just wanna hear what happened today. Leave the propaganda for Woodstock.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I did.... once.

Now they won’t stop sending me letters in the mail, trying to get me to subscribe.

F*****g hate them now.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
@Kak linked me a wsj article a few weeks back about current happenings in the oil industry. If we play our cards right that one article will pay for his subscription for the rest of his life.

I'd say that's some decent value right there

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I actually won a few month's worth of subs for WSJ after Quora gave me a Top Writer's Award.

Never got around to reading it, as the Quora posts and news got very bustling

A few months later, the WSJ popped up with this news feature that threw my country into an uproar, as well as a great election overthrow....
Malaysia's 1MDB Decoded: How Millions Went Missing

...plus awards for the journalists.
WSJ Journalist Wins Prestigious Award For 1MDB Scandal Reports

They are even writing a book on it, called Billion Dollar Whale.

TLDR: All about BRO-marketing and EXTREME denial by the bad guys when the law came on their case. And one of the BRO-marketers in the case actually helped finance Wolf of Wall Street

So, from there, gotta give WSJ some credit for the huge expose.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
You’d probably like these three resources:

AllSides | Balanced news via media bias ratings for an unbiased news perspective

Search News based on Highly Factual Reporting

I can’t stand my news being tainted with skewed politics. Left, right. Like yo... i just wanna hear what happened today. Leave the propaganda for Woodstock.

Who decided what is left and right?

More importantly, what God of unbiasedness blessed us with his opinion of all the news sources?

When it's balanced enough that you have to look up the bias, it's good enough.

WSJ has the right amount of what I would call conservative and liberal opinion pieces where I can see perspectives from both sides... Usually by highly respected experts that don't bombard you with emotional BS. I would consider myself smarter than most of these television news personalities, yet they have no problem telling me what to believe like I'm a child.

I'd argue the WSJ journalists lean slight lefty populist. They applaud a lot of business moves, that I won't get into, I believe are bad business.

The opinion section leans slightly right.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.