• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Anyone subscribe to The Wall Street Journal?

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by YoungPadawan, Sep 15, 2018.

1. YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan Miles to go before I sleep Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,160
    I've been considering subscribing to The Wall Street Journal. Has anyone subbed to it? What do you like/not like about it? Do you think it's worth it?

Many thanks!

Kak likes this.
  2. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,716
    After having worked as customer service to the New York Times. I don't want anything to deal with any newspapers ever again.

LaraJF and YoungPadawan like this.
  3. InspireHD

InspireHD Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,314
    I subscribed to it a couple times when they had good deals that made it worth it, like $1 a month for 3 months or whatever. They come nearly everyday so paper adds up fast.

Eventually, I came to realize that I wasn’t gaining anything from it. I prefer to invest in smaller companies. The WSJ mainly focuses on large companies that are making “headlines” or common economic news. I never really read the political articles as it was all wasted space to me.

It depends on why you want to read it. What are you hoping to get out of it?

YoungPadawan likes this.
  4. YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan Miles to go before I sleep Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,160
    I like reading some of the articles and want to learn more on the commodities/futures markets through the site.

5. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,159
    dude it’s literally $12 for 3 months

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 10.08.31 PM.png

for the amount of effort to post this thread you could have just subbed and tried it

The Wall Street Journal

6. The Abundant Man

Rep Bank:
    $3,716
    That's the introductory offer.

They charge you more after that.

Then when it comes to cancellation they upsell these other offers to try to keep you as a subscriber.

For NYTimes, you have to call to cancel. The automated voice system would ask for your account information. But no matter what you gave it, it would say, "Sorry we don't that in our system". Then it would put you on hold for at least 15 minutes to get you to a Customer Service Rep just to cancel your subscription.

A lot of customer are impatient and get angry and hang up. So they keep getting charged anyway.

Then the customer would start complaining for 30 minutes. But you have to tell them, "Our Account Management Department are the ones that deal with cancellation. I have to send you to them." The customer would complain even more. It would be another 5minute hold to transfer them over.

The "Account Management Department" is called Save To Stop. Here they just upsell offers to keep you as a subscriber. They don't take no for an answer. Why? They het a dollar/hour bonus for each save.

No Bueno. As my dad always says at a Wedding, "DON'T DO IT!"

SquatchMan and YoungPadawan like this.
  7. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,159
    Ugh, I hate that. When that happens I just call my bank and have them block them from charging.

8. YoungPadawan

Rep Bank:
    $1,160
    Bingo, Bango, Bongo

9. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,159
    I mean my personal experience? I follow them and get their free articles, but I’ve never seen anything compelling enough to make me want to pull out my CC.

Although, this is considered to be the greatest sales letter of all time, selling over $2 Billion worth the magazines:

http://swiped.co/file/wallstreet-letter-conroy/

10. The Abundant Man

Rep Bank:
    $3,716
    It's like writing an essay. They hook you in with the story. The main theme/motif being Tai Lopez's favorite word. "Knawledge". Then it comes back full circle in the closing.

A+

ChrisV likes this.
  11. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,159
    Did somebody say KNAWLEDGE?!

The Abundant Man likes this.
  12. The Abundant Man

Rep Bank:
    $3,716
    Hahaha! Good one!

13. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $26,739
    I subscribe. I quit for a while. Missed it and got it back.

TV news is complete garbage and WSJ has been my go to news source for over a decade.

I highly recommend. Also, the average net worth of WSJ subscribers is like 3 million dollars.

ZF Lee, GPM, andrewsyc and 2 others like this.
  14. Ronak

Ronak Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $7,720
    Your public/local university library should have it for free if you want to check it out.

If you have a valid .edu email, its like $4/month, I'd pay twice that. The Wall Street Journal

Your local business journal is also a good source-- I found my bank that gave me my line of credit, paid for a lifetime of subscriptions.

YoungPadawan, SquatchMan and LaraJF like this.
  15. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,159
    I've see you reccomend the WSJ a few times now and I follow then and read, what do you like about it?

I read them sometimes, but the majority of my news I get from Reuters or the Associated Press as they have almost no political bias.

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 2.00.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 2.01.13 PM.png

https:/mediabiasfactcheck.com/

WSJ leans slightly right, but certainly not enough to bother me.

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 2.01.48 PM.png

Anyway, aside from the apparent lack of political bias (mostly,) is there anything else you like about them. I read them a little bit, but since I usually get the majority of my news from Reuters/AP, I never really dug in.

This is actually set as my homepage:

Least Biased - Media Bias/Fact Check

16. LaraJF

LaraJF Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $268
    I worked in the tech dept of a major newspaper group and I'm with you on that. However, the WSJ has a lot of interesting articles that I enjoy. And movie reviews.

My subscription is online only.

Why do I like it? I can always find something interesting or thought provoking and don't feel like it's pure mind control. I cancelled my local paper after the OpEd headlines encroached on the front page. Just report and let me make up my own mind.

Anyway, I liked the suggestion of the library. See if you like it. Or try it for 90 days. they have special packages, I'm sure.

Kak and YoungPadawan like this.
  17. SquatchMan

SquatchMan Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,549
    It's probably worth it for that use case.

I have a subscription, but I don't get any value from it. I'm looking at the headlines in the Business section right now and I don't care about any of the articles.

The local business journal is much better for me and provides much more actual business insight. WSJ is stuff like "GE's dividend is investors' focus" and "PepsiCo Returns to Growth in Beverage Sales."

YoungPadawan likes this.
  18. Bryan James

Bryan James Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $850
    I'm an active investor and I find no particular value in the Wall Street Journal. At the end of the day (if you're investing) you're still going to have to do your own research and read annual reports and whatnot.

InspireHD, Kak and YoungPadawan like this.
  19. andrewsyc

andrewsyc Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $120
    Get it 6 days a week. Just sign up for 1 year paper/digital for $200 or so, one-lump deal.

Once a week I'll spend a few hours reading the week's news. WSJ gives you an idea of companies, background, and the deals they're doing; understanding of parts of the economy.

I like the NYtimes and other publications but they usually lean more toward social issues. While I do take concern and like to read about such things, Vanity Fair and other sources aren't a priority.

YoungPadawan likes this.
  20. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $352,214
    Admin Post
    So if you're worth much more than $3M, you'd be weighting yourself down by reading it? Shouldn't we read and hang out with people who are much more successful than us? ;):playful:

I prefer Barrons and Investors Business Daily.

They make great "coffee on the patio" reading.

jasoncuellar123, Kak and YoungPadawan like this.
  21. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,159
    Ugh.

Bryan James and Kak like this.
  22. topherea

topherea Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,038
    IBD

23. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $26,739
    Hahaha. LMAO

Still the richest average readership of any publication.

24. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $26,739
    Right, it isn’t right for active investing.

It’s more of an overall news source, pretty much unbiased, and looks at things from a business minded perspective.

Fox News enrages me just as much as any of the communist outlets these days... They remind me of The Weather Channel when a hurricane is in the Gulf. CNBC is the dumb money bandwagon. Bloomberg sucks.

Studies show you learn more from reading than watching. To me it’s kind of the last frontier in educated, business minded, print-journalism.

andrewsyc and Bryan James like this.
  25. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,159
    You’d probably like these three resources:

Least Biased - Media Bias/Fact Check

AllSides | Balanced news via media bias ratings for an unbiased news perspective

Search News based on Highly Factual Reporting

I can’t stand my news being tainted with skewed politics. Left, right. Like yo... i just wanna hear what happened today. Leave the propaganda for Woodstock.

Bryan James likes this.