The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone running a somewhat established/successful blog: What is your blogs main source of income(s)?

D

Deleted88861

Hello. To elaborate on my question...

I used to blog A LOT a long time ago with a few thousand article views per day in the end, it was solely for fun and didn't care about the amount of money I was taking in, it was a mental health blog. I dabbled with affiliate marketing a little bit by sharing book links etc from Amazon and that was fun. Looking to start a new blog again but with the intention of it being a side gig that brings in a small source of income and would like to attempt to grow it as much as I think I can. I am confident when it comes to creating content, especially in written format and I plan to start an entirely new blog, not continue on from the previous. This will be from scratch again and in a different industry, probably starting with a Wordpress blog template and buying a domain.

Obviously there are many things to look into first such as market research but I've already done this side of things and fairly confident in attracting a decent audience (but lets see), but I'm naive when it comes to how I might actually try and make some money out of this.

I noticed people placing importance of earnings per thousand visitors (is this a good metric to go by and why?) and I have also noticed running ads can be an option as well as affiliate marketing. Am I missing anything else? And is there anything I should learn about along the way such as SEO or keyword optimisation, maybe adsense?

I am taking a "customer-first" approach to this blog and the readers will be at the heart of what I'm doing, this is what led to my previous blog having a fairly low bounce rate and consistent readers. But this time round I would like to try and make some money on the side, I do want to prepare myself as much as possible before jumping in. Anything you feel that is crucial to know, please post, I'm all ears. I say its a side gig overall because as of right now I do not see how I could scale it to be something that brings in the equivalent of a full-time income (too early to know yet I think).

Any resources you can think of would be amazing. I am currently doing a course by a guy who is a professor at Stanford University which seems very good when it comes to understanding the overall creation of a business. I am also about to take an open university course surrounding digital marketing.

Thank you for reading this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ela

Freelance Web Developer and SEO Expert
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 21, 2022
India
Good job on your initiation.

As you already have the experience , all you have to do start writing better content and SEO a bit.

Consistency and Patience is the important part here.

I ran affiliate blogs and sold some , recently I didn’t have time to work on my few affiliate blogs that have it still.. because I am working on a e-commerce shop as of now , it takes my day.

So plan ahead and don’t do all at once , step by step and keep writing that you love.

All the best buddy

Ela

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 21, 2022
India
Regarding on source, YouTube is good one, also try reading affiliate site case studies,

Twitter has lot of people sharing their progress and affiliate site updates. Do follow as well.

Don’t spend too much time on watching or reading stuff, just do it and learn. It’s the best way to learn faster.

D

Deleted88861

Good job on your initiation.

As you already have the experience , all you have to do start writing better content and SEO a bit.

Consistency and Patience is the important part here.

I ran affiliate blogs and sold some , recently I didn’t have time to work on my few affiliate blogs that have it still.. because I am working on a e-commerce shop as of now , it takes my day.

So plan ahead and don’t do all at once , step by step and keep writing that you love.

All the best buddy
Thanks Ela. In terms of revenue streams, would you recommend to double down on affiliate marketing? I think with what I'm planning, I will tie the blog in with my musical brand as it would fit nicely, I plan to upload videos of the music creation process that will not only give readers more content in different formats but also show that what i'm blogging about has some credibility in terms of its results, so I guess YouTube can be a stream but not for now. For now, I want to double down on the blog and so wondering if Affiliate marketing would be important.

Thanks again

Caminsky

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Dec 27, 2022
Texas
I've been thinking about this a bit lately too. Been using SpyFu to do keyword research for my firm's site and started researching keywords for other things as well. Finding a niche with decent search volume but doable keyword difficulty is an interesting challenge.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

I used to blog A LOT a long time ago with a few thousand article views per day in the end, it was solely for fun and didn't care about the amount of money I was taking in, it was a mental health blog. I dabbled with affiliate marketing a little bit by sharing book links etc from Amazon and that was fun. Looking to start a new blog again but with the intention of it being a side gig that brings in a small source of income and would like to attempt to grow it as much as I think I can. I am confident when it comes to creating content, especially in written format and I plan to start an entirely new blog, not continue on from the previous. This will be from scratch again and in a different industry, probably starting with a Wordpress blog template and buying a domain.

Obviously there are many things to look into first such as market research but I've already done this side of things and fairly confident in attracting a decent audience (but lets see), but I'm naive when it comes to how I might actually try and make some money out of this.

I noticed people placing importance of earnings per thousand visitors (is this a good metric to go by and why?) and I have also noticed running ads can be an option as well as affiliate marketing. Am I missing anything else? And is there anything I should learn about along the way such as SEO or keyword optimisation, maybe adsense?

I am taking a "customer-first" approach to this blog and the readers will be at the heart of what I'm doing, this is what led to my previous blog having a fairly low bounce rate and consistent readers. But this time round I would like to try and make some money on the side, I do want to prepare myself as much as possible before jumping in. Anything you feel that is crucial to know, please post, I'm all ears. I say its a side gig overall because as of right now I do not see how I could scale it to be something that brings in the equivalent of a full-time income (too early to know yet I think).

Any resources you can think of would be amazing. I am currently doing a course by a guy who is a professor at Stanford University which seems very good when it comes to understanding the overall creation of a business. I am also about to take an open university course surrounding digital marketing.

I remember there is a FLM member who did a self-introduction on his 6 million dollar exit from selling his blog.

Blog’s revenue stream is from affiliate income from financial service companies.

The niche is important because only in business and investment you can have really high advertising/affiliate revenue without super big audience.

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia

Hopefully this thread would help:

Ela

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 21, 2022
India
Thanks Ela. In terms of revenue streams, would you recommend to double down on affiliate marketing? I think with what I'm planning, I will tie the blog in with my musical brand as it would fit nicely, I plan to upload videos of the music creation process that will not only give readers more content in different formats but also show that what i'm blogging about has some credibility in terms of its results, so I guess YouTube can be a stream but not for now. For now, I want to double down on the blog and so wondering if Affiliate marketing would be important.

Thanks again
I would say, add your content and build your audience first and then go for monetization.

Don't start showing popups already. Create trust with your content, share resources that are valuable to your audience, and connect with them with the right content with proper keyword research.

Once your traffic grows, Do check your competition and learn how they are making bucks. How can you make better than them? then you can start with affiliate marketing or whichever best option to earn better.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.