• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

Anyone here still sell on EBAY?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Dynain, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Dynain

Dynain PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $33
    I have cut down to nearly nothing.. They treat the Seller like real bad..

Some still do make a living off it but not like before.

They are losing people like fleas.

Thoughts?

D

2. lobster

lobster New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $34
    ebay has basicly no competitors. so its pretty much ebay or dont sell it at all.

3. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $43,917
    Some thoughts:

- eBay started with a vision of democratizing commerce by "creating an even playing field for all sellers," regardless of size and transaction volume. Unfortunately, at some point along the way, they started to lose that vision, and now clearly place more emphasis on supporting large sellers versus small sellers. While this isn't necessarily a bad business decision, without a revised mission statement, the company isn't adequately clarifying its role to it's sellers/customers;

- eBay now finds itself in the difficult position of having to choose between doing what their customers want (the sellers want) and what their shareholders want. Sellers want to see lower fees and shareholders want to see continued high growth. Personally, I believe there is a short-term solution that addresses both sides, but would require eBay to make some major adjustments to its business model and to the company as a whole. The current eBay management seems unwilling to making large scale changes of this sort, and as such, is forced to choose between bowing to seller or shareholder pressures;

- eBay is currently a two-trick pony -- they have their auction business and they have their payments business (PayPal). If you look closely at the financials, it should be obvious that the greatest short-term growth in the business is on the payments side, and if that trend were to hold long-term, it shouldn't be surprising to see a shift from focusing on sellers to focusing on merchants and other payment-side customers. Whether this is a good thing or not, I won't comment, but shareholders would be upset if it were any other way;

- The company relies tremendously on network effects. As such, they work incredibly hard to keep a reasonable proportion of various types of sales (auction vs. buy-it-now vs store listings). The company needs to keep sales in each category at certain proportions to maximize network effects, and the best way to encourage certain types of sales is modify prices in such a way as to promote those types of sales (e.g., to promote auction listings, the company can decrease the price of auction listings, increase the price of store listings, etc);

- In my opinion as an eBay user, the company has accomplished very little in terms of innovation over the past 10 years. As a technology company, the lack of focus (or at least the lack of success) in the innovation arena is concerning. In my opinion, a smart, nimble company that can attack the auction space from an innovative angle has the opportunity to take significant market share from eBay.

Just a few thoughts...I'll post more down the road...

4. Bilgefisher

Bilgefisher Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $373
    [opinion]Ebay is the first thing you think of when you hear online auctions, but when people get upset they simply go elsewhere. There is no huge competitor at the moment, but I can see that changing very quickly. The internet landscape is like a sand dune, the rise and fall of companies can happen overnight simply do to word of mouth.[/opinion]

5. Walley

Walley New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $78
    You'll find that if you want to sell name brand stuff on ebay...good luck. Their fees did go up too! :( They're a lot of counterfeit items on ebay..which ebay doesn't seem to care about, since they make money of it anyways. I'm sure they say they do, but seem to take no action.

6. JScott

JScott Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $43,917
    Actually, eBay works hand-in-hand with the brands/manufacturers to identify and remove counterfeit items. Unfortunately, it's a difficult and time-consuming effort, and even the brand owners sometimes have trouble spotting the fakes from an online ad.

7. Ausable

Ausable New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $35
    My sister and I use to sell quite a bit of stuff on ebay. Until we can to the realization that everyone else (ebay, UPS, etc.) was making a profit except for us.

8. Walley

Walley New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $78
    I guess it's just my experience. I bought an item on ebay and it was counterfeited. There were several other users that complained about it being counterfeited also. I've filed a bbb report and did everything on ebay to report the user. At the end after 3 months my negative feedback left for the seller plus the other users' negative feedback left for the user was gone. Seller was back at 100% positive. Ebay pretty much has done nothing but sent the same email over and over to me stating they received my complaint. I believe I got that email 4 times in a month. Anyways I know it's counterfeited because I know the product. Well that's just my 2 cents against some ebay sellers.

9. LightHouse

LightHouse Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $29,353
    I suppose alot of companies are still using it for advertising and redirecting the targeted traffic, I am starting a similar campaign next week for ebay, i will report how it goes.

10. MikeT_Ca

MikeT_Ca PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $34
    I think Craigslist.com is a good second choice to ebay but it is in no way a replacement.

11. santiago

santiago Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $37
    Can you elaborate on how you accomplish this? Ebay certainly gets a lot of eyeballs, but breaks down as a sale tool - this would seem like an effective way to use ebay.

Regarding brand names, my experience as a seller is they definitely do try to eliminate fakes. I sold popular brand (Coach, LV, Prada) women's handbags on ebay and was immediately contacted by ebay to provide proof that I was selling legit items. I had to supply information on where I was sourcing the bags and I know that ebay followed up with that source to verify that I was legit and was selling as described. Actually, it ticked me off as they froze my paypal account for 3 weeks while they investigated..

12. LightHouse

LightHouse Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $29,353

I will explain a little more in depth once i get it going and see how it acctually works. But the basis being using back links on you auctions to your ecommerce site wile staying within ebays Rules and Regs. Thus eliminating competition, fees, and cross promoting similar products on your site. Your using ebays targeted traffic, those users clicked on your auction already because they are intrested in the product and ebay has huge exposure.

You do have to have it well planned out however to keep from getting banned on ebay or being considered SPAM.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.