The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone Here Self Learn An Instrument ?

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
Anyone here teach themselves to play an instrument at a high level ? Its fun and it turns out there are many positive benefits for the brain.

I have always loved piano beats and I decided last night that I was gonna learn how to play myself the following morning.

I am not really interested in music theory or writing my own music etc I just want to learn to play some cool songs really well.

I just get tutorials for some of my favourite songs on youtube and play them. I already learned 2 piano rifts from 2 popular hip hop songs and I am working on my first full song.

Its pretty addictive I must say I spent about 2-3 hours this morning trying to get a hang of it, my wrists are killing me:D.

How learning instrument benefits your brain:

Song I am attempting to master, wonder how long it will take me :

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NVaz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 24, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
I've self taught to play guitar ...until i decided to take some lessons so i could improve. It was a few years ago, now you can find basically anything on the internet on how to play guitar. The cons on being self taught is that usually it will take more time to learn and most of the time you'll gain some technical leaks that will make you harder to improve later on. I totally agree and It's scientifically proved that learning to play any instrument will improve your brain.

PS: "my wrists are killing me" ... pay attention to this, you might be having bad hands posture while playing

Developmental

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
403%
Oct 10, 2014
Nottingham, UK
I know music theory can seem like a boring load of crap, but as a self-taught pianist, I would highly recommend you learn at least a little bit - on the piano it's mega easy because all the keys are laid out in front of you and you can see how it all fits together

The benefit is that with a little bit of theory, you can actually figure out songs / learn a bit by ear instead of relying on tutorial

It makes picking up more complex stuff more easy

I love my piano it's a wonderful way to unwind

Aching in the palm area is quite normal - your hand is probably not used to stretching, however aching in the wrist is usually a sign of bad technique/posture - check out a video or two on YouTube about how to sit at and play a piano - again, a bit dull but you don't want carpal tunnel syndrome

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
self taught piano the last 7 years, its a lot of fun to just have a seat and freestyle random stuff and compose a new song once in while. I was taught basic music theory though which helped.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Josh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Feb 27, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Took piano and theory lessons for 10+ years. Self taught electric bass and acoustic guitar.

I recommend you learn some basic music theory. It will make composition much easier and more logical.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.