The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone here in the CBD industry?

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
I have been in the legal cannabis industry in Oregon for the past 3 years. We started out owning an extract company and have transitioned into brokering cannabis deals along the west coast.

Recently we have added CBD as a side business and I would love to connect with anyone in that market.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Surprised no one commented...

I feel medical marijuana is the offline equivalent of cryptocurrency -- tons of people are going to make a killing.

HighestVantage

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Dec 13, 2014
Ukiah, CA
I am in the middle of the industry right now. Currently working at a soil company that provides high-quality pre-amended soils direct to growers.
The company I work for also operates a 20k sqft grow and nursery and an extraction company. I am keeping my eyes open for what businesses are making money, as I believe the price per lb will be dropping. Which could drive a lot of people out of the business of growing. Everyone already has a surplus of product that they are holding back from the market.

I have met a few CBD focused entrepreneurs, usually peddling CBD pens.
I think Extracts have a great market still, how do you think CBD plays into it all?

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I agree with MJ here. This is gonna be a massive market year by year as it will only get approved in more and more states (and other countries too). A friend of mine shared an idea for a physical product in this niche that could do very well, and I may jump in at some point as a partner.

What's kind of 'good' in a way too with this is that the rules and regulations still prevent too many from hopping on - due to barrier of entry. A "bro marketer" filter, lol...
It's the people who put in the extra effort and work required that will reap the benefits. Nevada just opened up too by the way, and neighboring states like Arizona will see an increased interest. We're still just medicinal here though (not recreational), as most voters who are older traditionally vote against the 420 propositions. But it's a matter of time :)

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
I agree with MJ here. This is gonna be a massive market year by year as it will only get approved in more and more states (and other countries too). A friend of mine shared an idea for a physical product in this niche that could do very well, and I may jump in at some point as a partner.

What's kind of 'good' in a way too with this is that the rules and regulations still prevent too many from hopping on - due to barrier of entry. A "bro marketer" filter, lol...
It's the people who put in the extra effort and work required that will reap the benefits. Nevada just opened up too by the way, and neighboring states like Arizona will see an increased interest. We're still just medicinal here though (not recreational), as most voters who are older traditionally vote against the 420 propositions. But it's a matter of time :)
Agreed. Arizona has voted down recreational twice which is surprising. As more and more states pick it up recreationally the demand for product (Not just the marijuana itself, but the pipes, the storage, the childproofing, etc) is going to explode. It will be a phenomenal market to be a part of for a TON of people.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
I am in the middle of the industry right now. Currently working at a soil company that provides high-quality pre-amended soils direct to growers.
The company I work for also operates a 20k sqft grow and nursery and an extraction company. I am keeping my eyes open for what businesses are making money, as I believe the price per lb will be dropping. Which could drive a lot of people out of the business of growing. Everyone already has a surplus of product that they are holding back from the market.

I have met a few CBD focused entrepreneurs, usually peddling CBD pens.
I think Extracts have a great market still, how do you think CBD plays into it all?

CBD will continue to grow, because as of now it is being shipped to all 50 states (legally), unlike marijuana. CBD pens are great, but I beleive that many people, especially those looking for medical benefits will want it in a variety of forms. We currently carry tea, gummies, vape pens and tincture. Our market is almost all medically focused.

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
CBD will continue to grow, because as of now it is being shipped to all 50 states (legally), unlike marijuana. CBD pens are great, but I beleive that many people, especially those looking for medical benefits will want it in a variety of forms. We currently carry tea, gummies, vape pens and tincture. Our market is almost all medically focused.

What's up with the laws on CBD oil?

About a month ago, my parents started reselling CBD pens (from a local distributor) at their store.

An officer from the Washington State Liquor and Cannibis Board came to the store for inspection and had my parents pull the product - he told them it was illegal.

We called the distributor and they apologized after looking into the legalities.

HighestVantage

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Dec 13, 2014
Ukiah, CA
The industry has a lot of players looking for their opening into the industry. Just yesterday I met an entrepreneur from the east coast who has developed a mesh that is vole and mole proof. The numbers he is looking at to supply a commercial grow with his product is (25$ per product x 1000 = $25,000)
Everyone in this industry right now thinks about money differently than the average Jo.

I heard also that the barrier to entry for growing Hemp as a source of Fiber isn't extremely high. Haha. ;)
But thinking about it there is a lot of potential for Hemp Producers compared to Marijuana Producers.
Producing Hemp you would have a crop to harvest that would produce tons of high-quality fibers that can be used for almost anything from Hemp Concrete to Paper. If you had extraction capabilities you could also extract the CBD in the Hemp plants. And have multiple products or potential sources of income.

Right now everyone in this area is scrambling to get a hold on a piece of the market.
Does anyone have any advice on how to do that better?
Right now I am working in the industry, learning everything I can about every part of the vertically integrated businesses I work for. I make good money just working hourly, and right now I am able to double down on work so I am able to build my savings up pretty well. I should have about 10k in disposable income by the end of the year. What would anyone recommend I do with that to improve my returns even further?

Esoteric Wealth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 21, 2015
I work for a smoke shop/medical marijuana device distributor right now.. a lot of innovation to be made in this industry, I see new products pop up left and right. I'm looking into jumping into some OEM products and/or private label.

G

Guest3722A

Inside word is THC and CBD work synergistically together. Maybe this is something to look in to

Last edited by a moderator:

OGx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 6, 2018
rockland
I am in the CBD industry right now I am coming up with innovated products in a target niche. And yes it's called the entourage effects, Thc and cbd play a synergistic in the body and balance each other out within the body. My two cents here that this will be the next superfood.

the majority people have horrible misconceptions about thc and cbd, how they work, and what's their benefits. In reality with this industry there needs to be a lot done to totally reap the gains. That's a very good thing.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I won't "out" anyone, but I know several here. ;)

OGx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 6, 2018
rockland
What's up with the laws on CBD oil?

About a month ago, my parents started reselling CBD pens (from a local distributor) at their store.

An officer from the Washington State Liquor and Cannibis Board came to the store for inspection and had my parents pull the product - he told them it was illegal.

We called the distributor and they apologized after looking into the legalities.

Man I am sorry to hear that's B.S.. there is gentleman name Rod Knight he is a great cannabis lawyer. he will explain this better than me. He also provides help for companies and business in the weed or cbd field.

cbd has to have .3% THC or less otherwise it's considered illegal federal not because of the cbd but of the thc. There have been busts in states but they are getting sued by hemp organizations and business owners, etc..

Whats crazy is it depends on how your state controls or monitors production of hemp. It's b.s. as they are coming after people who have no thc in their products. The is also rules and regulations on marketing it as each state has it's own guideline.

There was a bust in TN recently labs and authorities messed up big time. They issued an apology to the owners but they seized all their inventory. A lawsuit will be filled against them.

Please don't be discouraged just need to learn on how to operate by being on the right side of the law in this industry.

Last edited:

OGx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 6, 2018
rockland
The industry has a lot of players looking for their opening into the industry. Just yesterday I met an entrepreneur from the east coast who has developed a mesh that is vole and mole proof. The numbers he is looking at to supply a commercial grow with his product is (25$ per product x 1000 = $25,000)
Everyone in this industry right now thinks about money differently than the average Jo.

I heard also that the barrier to entry for growing Hemp as a source of Fiber isn't extremely high. Haha. ;)
But thinking about it there is a lot of potential for Hemp Producers compared to Marijuana Producers.
Producing Hemp you would have a crop to harvest that would produce tons of high-quality fibers that can be used for almost anything from Hemp Concrete to Paper. If you had extraction capabilities you could also extract the CBD in the Hemp plants. And have multiple products or potential sources of income.

Right now everyone in this area is scrambling to get a hold on a piece of the market.
Does anyone have any advice on how to do that better?
Right now I am working in the industry, learning everything I can about every part of the vertically integrated businesses I work for. I make good money just working hourly, and right now I am able to double down on work so I am able to build my savings up pretty well. I should have about 10k in disposable income by the end of the year. What would anyone recommend I do with that to improve my returns even further?

It's depends on which avenue you take in this industry, where you see your company making money and producing value. There are many opportunities to take but please be sure to cover yourself legally.

hemp is a potential route and also legal at state and federally levels. I am in this industry and it's a much different approach to MJ and it's new culture. You can produce plastic, biofuel, and foods just from cannabis.

Last edited:
G

Guest92dX

Can someone explain how you would go about building software for this industry?

I see people who have software builds, but it seems like these guys are anti-software? Not really sure.

Also, what's the state of manufactured products like scents and candles? I haven't heard of any of those, but some people swear by those smells.

Thank you for making this thread. I would like to get a breakdown of the industry at a high level.

Average every day people have pop-up shops and are talking about it. People who haven't read a single book on entrepreneurship and don't even consider their self the type.

It's like a movement for the whole country.

I wouldn't be surprised if lobbyists get it legalized at the federal level before complete state adoption.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Surprised no one commented...

I feel medical marijuana is the offline equivalent of cryptocurrency -- tons of people are going to make a killing.

Interesting to see this view. I started in crypto in 2012 and after a bunch of mishaps in 2017 got out at the wrong time. My only saving grace was that I also entered the Seattle cannabis industry on the media side. I always consoled myself that I may have left a fortune on the table in crypto, but I made a pivot that is paying off in an industry with incredible upsides with tons of problems that need solutions.

OGx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 6, 2018
rockland
Interesting to see this view. I started in crypto in 2012 and after a bunch of mishaps in 2017 got out at the wrong time. My only saving grace was that I also entered the Seattle cannabis industry on the media side. I always consoled myself that I may have left a fortune on the table in crypto, but I made a pivot that is paying off in an industry with incredible upsides with tons of problems that need solutions.

this creates opportunity. I glad to hear about your pay off as this is an unique industry with a false stigma. Good luck in your venture!!

RedBaron

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
I was in the industry for about 8 years, I ended up getting into the extraction side around 2010-11 and in 2014 I got busted at my Malibu house. My case was rather large and due to all the media behind it. It became an example case and I did 2.5 years in state prison. ( never been in trouble before). At the height of my career I was F*cking killing it. I had some of the first large scale machines. It was a great time. But it was my fault for getting in trouble and my life completly was wrecked, on myself and my family. I would love to get back into the industry, but it is near impossible due to my felony's to get any sort of license in my name. I get off of parole in 4 weeks

At any rate there are less risky avenues to take in this industry that could be profitable if you handle it right. I got into Bitcoin around 2012, but ended up getting out when I went away. ( no shit i should have left it all in lol) but since I have been out I have gotten back into crypto for almost a year now

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I was in the industry for about 8 years, I ended up getting into the extraction side around 2010-11 and in 2014 I got busted at my Malibu house. My case was rather large and due to all the media behind it. It became an example case and I did 2.5 years in state prison. ( never been in trouble before). At the height of my career I was f*cking killing it. I had some of the first large scale machines. It was a great time. But it was my fault for getting in trouble and my life completly was wrecked, on myself and my family. I would love to get back into the industry, but it is near impossible due to my felony's to get any sort of license in my name. I get off of parole in 4 weeks

At any rate there are less risky avenues to take in this industry that could be profitable if you handle it right. I got into Bitcoin around 2012, but ended up getting out when I went away. ( no shit i should have left it all in lol) but since I have been out I have gotten back into crypto for almost a year now

That would of been amazing if you were in jail and held crypto and it exploded. I first got into BTC in 2012 playing poker on Seals with Clubs. If I just would of just quit when had 100 coins and took a ten year nap would be a millionaire ;).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.