The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone else made a change in religion or non-association as a result of wanting to focus on bigger goals?

Anything related to matters of the mind

JonnySel007

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jan 19, 2021
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone. My name's Jonny.

I was formerly a Seventh-day Adventist Christian (and baptized into it by choice earlier). Though after a few years of much thought and consideration, I had decided that I no longer wanted to associate with the Adventist Church nor its movement as I found out that I don't agree with some of the beliefs of it (and more deeper reasons why) and the fact that I didn't want to any longer associate with a specific Christian denomination I grew up in. Let alone be "forced" to worry about the end of the world being very close to happening, which I personally do not believe will happen in my lifetime.

As a result, I have declared myself a non-denominational Christian, as I didn't want the naysayers from who I grew up in the same denomination and fellowship with to influence my decisions, as I've sensed for the past years that I didn't feel like I belonged with the denomination due to the life choices I've made to want to focus on my life-long goals, which I believe associating with the denomination may hold me back much more than it should.

Now here's my question to the rest of you, would any of you care to share similar stories about changing religions, denominations, spiritualities, etc. over the course of your lifetime as a result of wanting to pursue your goals, especially life-long ones? It would mean a lot to me to know that I may not be alone in making a life-changing step such as this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:
Solution
Johnny, Are you uncertain in your future? what are you fearing here?

I don't think this will get big exposure because there are pretty strict rules on talk about politics and religion here (and for good reason). There are a lot of stories similar to yours, some I know personally. I think it's important to know that you are not unique because there have been many people that have done what you did and become successful. There are also shows of people going through similar situations breaking from their strict religious upbringings that you may be able to identify with.

The point I wanted to bring to this thread though, is that one thing you are going to have to be mindful of (along with many others) is that you beliefs have been set in...

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

I was formerly a Seventh-day Adventist Christian (and baptized into it by choice earlier). Though after a few years of much thought and consideration, I had decided that I no longer wanted to associate with the Adventist Church nor its movement as I found out that I don't agree with some of the beliefs of it (and more deeper reasons why) and the fact that I didn't want to any longer associate with a specific Christian denomination I grew up in. Let alone be "forced" to worry about the end of the world being very close to happening, which I personally do not believe will happen in my lifetime.

As a result, I have declared myself a non-denominational Christian, as I didn't want the naysayers from who I grew up in the same denomination and fellowship with to influence my decisions, as I've sensed for the past years that I didn't feel like I belonged with the denomination due to the life choices I've made to want to focus on my life-long goals, which I believe associating with the denomination may hold me back much more than it should.

Now here's my question to the rest of you, would any of you care to share similar stories about changing religions, denominations, spiritualities, etc. over the course of your lifetime as a result of wanting to pursue your goals, especially life-long ones? It would mean a lot to me to know that I may not be alone in making a life-changing step such as this.
Well, although this toes near the no-religion rule...
For myself, while I didn't change my religion, I changed churches.
My old church was split between old folks who were just comfortable with 'reading more on the Word' and doing not much to better the faith, and young folks who just didn't use the elders enough to guide them.

As a result, it got pretty stagnant in size...even simple work to go to help out at old folks' homes and stuff was always met with a rouse of complaints and half-hearted crap.

I didn't switch over to the new church until I was in my second year of university...and I found it to be a more energetic, positive experience. It not only had a young adults group that was always having classes and charity events, but also business-related fellowships, which I joined and still am a part of even today.

If you read Paul's stuff closer in the Bible, you will find that he advises against having denominations in the first place...we should be united under one belief that Jesus is our Lord, His sacrifice brings us forgiveness and that our mission is to spread the Good News to all not just in word...but also by action.

So no worries about being non-denominational...it's closer to the natural state of things.

Stay in the faith, keep up your prayers and Bible-reading, and you can always seek a better church.
Some tips by Todd Friel can help on finding a church:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4bffxDMfh4

As for the end-of-the-world...I would say that no one knows when SHTF.
But if you look back at history, you will find cycles of birth, rise, decline and death.
The Church has always gone through cycles of persecution and acceptance, peace and strife, brilliance and ignorance- and it will happen again.

The best we can do is to do what we can control i.e. build our own financial futures and businesses, cultivating a network of industrious people and yes, prayers and Bibles.

In addition, there's no rule in the Bible against personal and wealth development (unless some preachers are spinning some agenda there).

As long as your goals involve helping you grow to be a more productive, healthy person-as well as beneficial for your loved ones, I don't see why your goals would clash with the faith.

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

For me it is greater interest in Fengshui and Crystals.

I am open minded to anything that can give an extra boost of power.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

I don't think this will get big exposure because there are pretty strict rules on talk about politics and religion here (and for good reason). There are a lot of stories similar to yours, some I know personally. I think it's important to know that you are not unique because there have been many people that have done what you did and become successful. There are also shows of people going through similar situations breaking from their strict religious upbringings that you may be able to identify with.

The point I wanted to bring to this thread though, is that one thing you are going to have to be mindful of (along with many others) is that you beliefs have been set in place over the course of your life and the event of breaking from that religion does not wipe them out overnight.

That is ok too because it's solvable. My advice here is to keep a very open mind to everything you know, both large and small and start yourself down a consistent path of self discovery and self development. There are going to be a few surprises in there, but ultimately it's going to be the core of the change you are looking to make as you find your way in this world with your new perspective!

Good luck, you have the support here on this forum if you ever feel lonely on your path, use it!

Solution

JonnySel007

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jan 19, 2021

The point I wanted to bring to this thread though, is that one thing you are going to have to be mindful of (along with many others) is that you beliefs have been set in place over the course of your life and the event of breaking from that religion does not wipe them out overnight.

That is ok too because it's solvable. My advice here is to keep a very open mind to everything you know, both large and small and start yourself down a consistent path of self discovery and self development. There are going to be a few surprises in there, but ultimately it's going to be the core of the change you are looking to make as you find your way in this world with your new perspective!

Good luck, you have the support here on this forum if you ever feel lonely on your path, use it!
Thank you for your insight (and everyone else who replied). I admit that I had just recently read the "Getting The MOST Out Of Fastlane (Required Read)" thread before typing this reply, as I may have previously acted hastily to want to hear from others regarding what I brought up (while genuinely being unaware of the "no religion" rule before I checked for myself that it is there). So my apologies for not knowing the rule before-hand.

It's great to be assured that I'm not alone with making drastic life-changing choices regarding self-discovery and self-improvement. So thank you all for your inputs on the matter.

I'm yet to make a proper introduction in the Introduction Forums section. Thank you for reminding me.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Thank you for your insight (and everyone else who replied). I admit that I had just recently read the "Getting The MOST Out Of Fastlane (Required Read)" thread before typing this reply, as I may have previously acted hastily to want to hear from others regarding what I brought up (while genuinely being unaware of the "no religion" rule before I checked for myself that it is there). So my apologies for not knowing the rule before-hand.

It's great to be assured that I'm not alone with making drastic life-changing choices regarding self-discovery and self-improvement. So thank you all for your inputs on the matter.

I'm yet to make a proper introduction in the Introduction Forums section. Thank you for reminding me.
Have you read the book Unscripted? Religion is just another script written for you by people that are long dead. They didn't know you nor could they predict the future clear enough to dictate how you should live your life. Religion and morality are not one and the same. All religions in the world share the most basic moral principles. Don't be afraid to take a step back from the religion that you were programmed with as a child.

Last edited:

JonnySel007

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jan 19, 2021
Have you read the book Unscripted? Religions is just another script written for you by people that are long dead. They didn't know you nor could they predict the future clear enough to dictate how you should live your life. Religion and morality are not one and the same. All religions in the world share the most basic moral principles. Don't be afraid to take a step back from the religion that you were programmed with as a child.
I have not read/listened Unscripted yet. I have just purchased the audiobook version of it, so I will make sure I complete the whole thing asap. I've been wanting to listen/read after I finished the Millionaire Fastlane audiobook, so your reminder was a much-needed push for me to get to it already.

Thank you again for bringing this to my attention.

JonnySel007

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jan 19, 2021
And just as promised, I've posted my introduction earlier.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.