The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone else feel massively stupid after learning self development?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Roark666

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 6, 2020
Los Angeles
God I've been humbled by life. I thought I knew it all. Turns out I was just a scared little boy trying to put on a confident facade so the world doesn't know the truth though at the time I thought I was just cocky. Learning about business, fitness, dating, and time management made me really self reflect at who I really was. I was a floating turd going about life living unconscipusly. Then I realized this is 99% of people. Following whatever there enviornment put them in.

Everyday I'm becoming more and more awake and realizing more and more of my flaws and where my entitlement in life is. Damn what a ride awakening. Anyone else feel this way? (And to all the high and mighty people saying oh young padawan I am the wise sage good for you to finally start. I can guarantee you're just as lost and have just a big of an ego.)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dolf112

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 30, 2016
England
God I've been humbled by life. I thought I knew it all. Turns out I was just a scared little boy trying to put on a confident facade so the world doesn't know the truth though at the time I thought I was just cocky. Learning about business, fitness, dating, and time management made me really self reflect at who I really was. I was a floating turd going about life living unconscipusly. Then I realized this is 99% of people. Following whatever there enviornment put them in.

Everyday I'm becoming more and more awake and realizing more and more of my flaws and where my entitlement in life is. Damn what a ride awakening. Anyone else feel this way? (And to all the high and mighty people saying oh young padawan I am the wise sage good for you to finally start. I can guarantee you're just as lost and have just a big of an ego.)
There is something that I read or saw years back but the concept really stayed with me.

4 Stages: Unconsciously incompetent, Consciously incompetent, Consciously competent and finally Unconsciously competent.

I feel UI is when you have no idea.
CI is when you read a lot and start to compare.
CC is when you are implementing your newfound knowledge
UC is where you want to be, you don't need to think about being on time or how to make sure your form is correct in the gym, it just happens because you have a system in place.

I think that can be applied to pretty much anything in life.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Phoenix Leo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Oct 30, 2020
Sweden
Congratulations @Roark666, you've made it passed Mt. Stupid and are now slogging through the Valley of Despair.

What I mean is, what you are describing sounds to me very much like the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Most people only associate D-K with the confident incompetence of Mt. Stupid, but if you look at the whole curve it paints a broader picture:
dunning-kruger-0011.jpg

I find it helpful to be aware of this phenomena. It makes me cautious when I'm on the mountain (of any given topic) and aids my courage when I'm in the valley.

Roark666

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 6, 2020
Los Angeles

Roark666

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 6, 2020
Los Angeles
Congratulations @Roark666, you've made it passed Mt. Stupid and are now slogging through the Valley of Despair.

What I mean is, what you are describing sounds to me very much like the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Most people only associate D-K with the confident incompetence of Mt. Stupid, but if you look at the whole curve it paints a broader picture:
View attachment 35507

I find it helpful to be aware of this phenomena. It makes me cautious when I'm on the mountain (of any given topic) and aids my courage when I'm in the valley.
pretty crazy. I wouldnt say I have despair but I am well aware of my lack of knowledge, habits, behavior, and mindsets. And honestly everyone here is. This is why I said people that act all high and mighty like "har har har look at s.roark666 finally getting it! that idiot! Well good on you young chap maybe you can one day join us at our table." No. We ALL have an endless journey of education to go to reach our potential.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⠛⠛⠛⠛⠛⠛⠿⠿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣯⡉⠉⠉⠙⢿⣿⠟⠉⠉⠉⣩⡇⠄⠄⢀⣀⣀⡀⠄⠄⠈⠹⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⠄⠄⠈⠁⠄⠄⣠⣾⣿⡇⠄⠄⢸⣿⣿⣿⣷⡀⠄⠄⠘⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣶⠄⠄⠄⠠⣾⣿⣿⣿⡇⠄⠄⢸⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠄⠄⠄⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⠟⠁⠄⠄⠄⠄⠙⢿⣿⣿⡇⠄⠄⠸⠿⠿⠿⠟⠄⠄⠄⣰⣿⣿
⣿⡿⠟⠁⠄⢀⣰⣶⣄⠄⠄⠈⠻⣿⡇⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⢀⣠⣾⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣷⣶⣶⣶⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣶⣶⣶⣿⣷⣶⣶⣶⣶⣶⣶⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

Roark666

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 6, 2020
Los Angeles
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⠛⠛⠛⠛⠛⠛⠿⠿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣯⡉⠉⠉⠙⢿⣿⠟⠉⠉⠉⣩⡇⠄⠄⢀⣀⣀⡀⠄⠄⠈⠹⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⠄⠄⠈⠁⠄⠄⣠⣾⣿⡇⠄⠄⢸⣿⣿⣿⣷⡀⠄⠄⠘⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣶⠄⠄⠄⠠⣾⣿⣿⣿⡇⠄⠄⢸⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠄⠄⠄⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⠟⠁⠄⠄⠄⠄⠙⢿⣿⣿⡇⠄⠄⠸⠿⠿⠿⠟⠄⠄⠄⣰⣿⣿
⣿⡿⠟⠁⠄⢀⣰⣶⣄⠄⠄⠈⠻⣿⡇⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⢀⣠⣾⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣷⣶⣶⣶⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣶⣶⣶⣿⣷⣶⣶⣶⣶⣶⣶⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
youre not cool anymore stop it its cringe.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

The more you learn, the more that you realize the vast amount that you don't know...

jeffrost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 30, 2020
Sheffield, UK

View attachment 35507

Spot on

blulemming

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 14, 2020
Slovenia
I hope you're not learning from Deepak Chopra's and other similar hacks. :)

Just soaking up info and learning about subjects is the best way to go. No need to search for "best selling authors". It's all business and the self-development niche is one of the dirtiest out there.

jeffrost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 30, 2020
Sheffield, UK
When I went to lots of personal development events I kept seeing the same faces again and again.

Don't be one of those people!

Enjoy the experience of 10,000 people raving in unison, yes!

But not more than a couple of times.

True fulfilment comes from hard graft sooner or later.

Wishing you every success

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
For me, it was a break up earlier this year that spurred some changes in my life, as well as a reduction in ego and taking an overall critical look at my life. I don't feel as stupid as much as I feel previously blinded, now the curtains are pulled back and my self-confidence is steadily rising. The number of changes I've made in less than a year is astounding, and if this year wasn't as bad as it has been I wouldn't have grown as much as I have.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
For me ... I think I am starting to understand things better, or at least I can spot a mental model that is way too simple and biased and come up with a better one.

What worries me is that I feel more and more like knowing / understanding things hardly matters.
The stream that we turds float in is just too powerful to accomplish anything without tons of luck.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
What worries me is that I feel more and more like knowing / understanding things hardly matters.
The stream that we turds float in is just too powerful to accomplish anything without tons of luck.
Yeah, I think that obviously circumstances and the position you find yourself in are definitely important. The kid born in a poor family North Korea has virtually NO CHANCE to become a billionaire. That's an extreme case, but similar situations occur for many people for whatever reasons.

However, one thing is clear -- you're more likely to be successful if you DON'T believe in luck, even if luck is what really carries the day. And the reason for that is because if you believe that you CAN be successful, you will do everything in your power to be successful -> which means you will not lose opportunities when they come your way. This video explains it well:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LopI4YeC4I&feature=emb_title

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
I suppose I don't worry about who wins the race that much ... I wonder how to get into those races.

And the reason for that is because if you believe that you CAN be successful, you will do everything in your power to be successful

I see a huge disconnect there. That is what I keep reading in Self Development books, but I see no evidence of it IRL.

My knowledge and mindset adjustments have never translated into new options or opportunities or any force that would change my trajectory. I think the cog between mindset and action is not understood well -but the most important part.

Habits alone are not it ... I think I understand those well.

I am starting to think habits are a common pitfall while training to take action outside of your habits is the winning strategy.

Last edited:

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
young padawan
You rang?

lol, no - I know how you feel. I feel the exact same way. There are so many smart people in the world and I feel like a moron compared to them. Oh well, I say just do your best with the brain God gave you.

Luis Weiland

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 13, 2020

Amazing that you are waking up! Personal development is very important. Meditation is also great to let go of the ego and to connect with the higher self. ( something i recommend to the mighty people ;)

Roark666

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 6, 2020
Los Angeles
Amazing that you are waking up! Personal development is very important. Meditation is also great to let go of the ego and to connect with the higher self. ( something i recommend to the mighty people ;)
Yes meditation is great. One of the habits I need to add! God thank god for this community!

Roark666

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 6, 2020
Los Angeles
I suppose I don't worry about who wins the race that much ... I wonder how to get into those races.

I see a huge disconnect there. That is what I keep reading in Self Development books, but I see no evidence of it IRL.

My knowledge and mindset adjustments have never translated into new options or opportunities or any force that would change my trajectory. I think the cog between mindset and action is not understood well -but the most important part.

Habits alone are not it ... I think I understand those well.

I am starting to think habits are a common pitfall while training to take action outside of your habits is the winning strategy.
Luck plays a major role in success but you can still make it. Because In the end results are all that matter in this life. Yeah that rich kid got it easy but he still has a Mercedes and you don't. Though when you get it you have the habits built in to get it. If he loses it he's screwed.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.