The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any way to catch the thief?

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
So I did a dumb thing today. Left my card in an ATM machine after making a withdrawl. I get back to my office, was planning on paying some bills, so I checked my account balance. To my disbelief, 3 minutes after I made my withdrawl of $60, another $200 had been taken out of my account! I suspect whomever was in line behind me was able to do another withdrawl without having to enter my PIN #.

Completely my mistake, but shame on the person behind me in line. It was a young man, but I probably wouldn't know him again if I saw him.

I went back after work and noticed the ATM has a camera. Do you think there is any way I (or the bank/police/etc) can catch whomever did this or is it a waste of my time to deal with?

Do you think the police would do anything and actually follow up if I called? Any idea if they've caught people doing this before? It seems with the ATM camera they could...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Contact your bank immediately. Time is of the essence.

If you were using an ATM at a bank other than yours, call the bank where this happened and ask to speak to the manager or VP.

Tell them what happened.

If the person isn't too bright, they will have entered their own info after taking your $$-- and the bank will have a time stamped paper trail.

-Russ H.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Don't most bank atm's have video recording system in the machine? Perhaps they would be able to match your time stamp and video to at least get the bugger's face.

And if they're stupid enough to use their own card and get caught, please tell us. That would surely make my day.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
Well, I contacted the bank (not mine) and I'm not that hopeful. They said no one used the ATM for 19 minutes after my withdrawls. They said they can probably get a picture of the person who took my money, but it will be pretty hard to catch them. They said this happens more than you would think, and very rarely is anyone caught. I got the impression they wouldn't be doing much to find him.

What do you think about the response I got?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Contact your bank as well-- esp if you have a personal relationship with one of the VPs-- explain what happened, and ask them what they can do.

(Don't phrase it as "is there anything you can do?" Say instead "I'd like to know what is going to be done.")

It never hurts to ask.

-Russ H.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
Thanks Russ!

My bank said I can fill out some paper work and will most likely get my money back!

I still want them to try and catch this guy. Do you think B of A will look at tapes and try to find someone over $200?

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
This happened to one of our employees. Her mother in law was a cop, she told her that no mater what the bank says, you need a police report. Once a police report is filed the photo of the person can be cross referenced with known criminals with the same MO. They caught the guy who ripped off our employee because he had a previous record on file & he actualy attempted to rip off the same bank a week later.
Janet

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
Thanks nomadjanet! I will contact the police and maybe they can track him down.

I suppose if he was just someone behind me with no previous record who wanted some extra money, unless I see him again, its probably hopeless.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.