The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any BJJ folks on here?

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Ok I’m only going to say this once.

Cauliflower ears are sexy!!
Come again...
giphy.gif

I've never gotten cauliflower ears.

Touching other people's ears are gross.

Alright, I'm going back tomorrow and I'm going harder so I can get them ears.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Cauliflower ears are sexy!!

You belong to the 0.0000001% of the female population who do BJJ themselves and think cauliflower ears are hawt.

Congrats.

Unfortunately the rest doesn't think like that.

But yes, all ear protectors look stupid. There should be an awesome new design to protect your ears that looks super cool. Something bad a$$, like this with the ears covering perhaps:

61mXSCKaO2L._SX466_.jpg

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
You belong to the 0.0000001% of the female population who do BJJ themselves and think cauliflower ears are hawt.

Congrats.

Unfortunately the rest doesn't think like that.

But yes, all ear protectors look stupid. There should be an awesome new design to protect your ears that looks super cool. Something bad a$$, like this with the ears covering perhaps:

61mXSCKaO2L._SX466_.jpg

anthonyhopkins.jpg

Plaza Fury

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Mar 17, 2019
Interesting to see how many forum members are into BJJ. I started myself a couple of months ago. I'm one of the heavier and physically stronger members of the club now and this is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because you can put more pressure sometimes and a curse because you rely more on strength and get tired quickly.

Training about 3-4 times a week. It's very addictive.

BONUS: I don't want cauliflower ears, but this protection really looks dorky. Somebody please invent some cool looking ear protection and you'll have my money.

haha Having cauliflower ears is like wearing your gi on a date. But it must suck to want to buy those apple airpods when having ears that look like boxing gloves.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
haha Having cauliflower ears is like wearing your gi on a date. But it must suck to want to buy those apple airpods when having ears that look like boxing gloves.
Actually, it's a great conversation starter.

Subconsciously she's probably thinking, "He can protect me. This makes me feel safe. He must have discipline. This shows he's successful or has the potential. He can do "moves" in the bedroom."

Plaza Fury

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Mar 17, 2019
Actually, it's a great conversation starter.

Subconsciously she's probably thinking, "He can protect me. This makes me feel safe. He must have discipline. This shows he's successful or has the potential. He can do "moves" in the bedroom."

haha Everything is fine until he puts her in a Kimura lock. Those "moves" come in handy.

MNejc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Mar 10, 2019
Slovenia
Have you mastered all those martial arts you have trained or only went into to get a standard knowledge and new experiences?

I myself am thinking about learning BJJ but as there aren’t any clubs or gyms where I could learn by training BJJ around, I am thinking about moving to Graz, Austria, getting a job there and start with training. I’m otherwise from Slovenia and currently unemployed but I think the plan is going to work.

Oh and btw is learning new martial art after learning another hard and challenging or the opposite?

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Have you mastered all those martial arts you have trained or only went into to get a standard knowledge and new experiences?

I myself am thinking about learning BJJ but as there aren’t any clubs or gyms where I could learn by training BJJ around, I am thinking about moving to Graz, Austria, getting a job there and start with training. I’m otherwise from Slovenia and currently unemployed but I think the plan is going to work.

Oh and btw is learning new martial art after learning another hard and challenging or the opposite?

In my opinion BJJ is the most fun martial art because:
  • There's no exams or "scripted" path to follow. You just start rolling with the rest and learn.
  • New techniques daily. They use useful techniques from other martial art forms as well. Many clubs also organize seminars where advanced fighters come and share some techniques. The possibilities are basically never ending.
  • No kata or unnecessary scripted theories you must learn.
  • In real life, you can take your opponent out without having to beat him into the hospital, unlike other martial arts. Just a choke or arm bar will be enough to take him out and deliver him to the authorities.
  • BJJ is the most effective martial art form, with the right moves, you can take out any other martial art. Check out when Royce Gracie entered UFC.
This is also useful stuff:

Last edited:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
A general question for those of you martial artists here....

Do you guys, especially in the beginning, get all bruised-up and swollen faces when you join the classes?
If so, how do you deal with going to work daily where your bosses/colleagues/clients look at you with all those cuts and blue-blacks on the face?

I've been thinking about learning muay thai some day once I'm more financially stable.
Occasionally on the streets, I do encounter young punks who're downright rude / nasty / trying to be a bully, and I think arts like muay thai would come in handy (e.g: this teen who blocked my mom's path behaving like a F*cking gangster the other day, refused to move and stared down at her).

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

Do you guys, especially in the beginning, get all bruised-up and swollen faces when you join the classes?
If so, how do you deal with going to work daily where your bosses/colleagues/clients look at you with all those cuts and blue-blacks on the face?

Not with BJJ.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio

I've been thinking about learning muay thai some day once I'm more financially stable.
Occasionally on the streets, I do encounter young punks who're downright rude / nasty / trying to be a bully, and I think arts like muay thai would come in handy (e.g: this teen who blocked my mom's path behaving like a F*cking gangster the other day, refused to move and stared down at her).

I have found that I get more bruises and small injuries the LESS I train, but maybe that is something relating to me being 45? Especially when I'm training muay thai, with blocking kicks and taking knees in the ribs. However, the bruises and lumps aren't as big as that first month I trained muay thai.

Re: bjj, I feel the same. I think I'm going to go to 3 times a week instead of 2. I feel like some techniques are starting to click, and that might accelerate it while keeping cardio high.

Overall, I take the mindset that you don't ever master a martial art. You simply learn different ways to execute technique better, faster, smarter, etc. This is why I'm drawn to bjj. I love how the higher belts are thinking two to three moves ahead of me as a white belt.

Just my thoughts anyway

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio

I would recommend starting one martial art first, instead of learning two at once. Your technique will be crisper, tighter, and you will advance in your skills more quickly.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
I looked but didn't see any threads on here about folks learning jiu jitsu/bjj so I thought I'd start one.

I've been an athlete my entire life, and took up martial arts in college (Aikido). Loved learning it, but something was missing...(it's an entirely defensive martial art, and an archaic one, also, in terms of self-defense).

Then I got married...and stopped doing martial arts while we raised two boys together.

Then...I got divorced 8 years ago. Toughest time of my life, even though I knew it was the right move.

So I needed something to devote my physical energy to again, and this time I chose a different martial art: muay thai. LOVED it. I chose it because it is the most offensive of the martial arts, as opposed to my previous aikido training.

Then, last June, my gym (which was only for old school muay thai) up and CLOSED on two weeks notice. After 7 years there training.

I felt like I did when I found out my ex had cheated on me again. What would I do now? Where would I go? I knew there were other gyms, but I was loyal to mine, and it had helped save me post-divorce. AND, I had brought my boys there, and they had trained for 5-6 years. Where would we all go?

So in late summer/Fall 2018 I found a new gym that taught muay thai, grappling, AND bjj. I started training there, and learned that I could take up bjj now also if I wanted, since my membership covered everything.

So this past January I decided to dedicate myself to learning bjj.

If you've done the same thing, you know how overwhelming it can be. I used to make fun of bjj, especially while watching UFC, thinking it was lame, but boy was I wrong, and I can see the allure of training. It's such a chess match, and there are so many battles that are fought in your mind every time you train. The satisfaction I get from simply surviving and not getting tapped by more experienced folks is hard to describe, and it has helped me tremendously with dealing with business stress, etc.

If you have thought about doing bjj, DO IT. The initial training is scary-you get thrown to the wolves, but you come out on the other side stronger, more confident, and healthier.

So Im 45 years old, about to be 46 in a couple of months, and I've now decided that my next goal will be to compete. I'm a white belt working my way up, but I don't care about the stripes, I care about the mastery. Stripes will eventually come, I just want to master myself and this craft.

I've also enrolled my boys, and am working on my wife (I remarried four years ago) too, and I have a 3 year old daughter who will certainly do it, too, soon!

Would love to connect/hear your stories as well. I'm sure there are very similar stories on here!

• I have been on a break from BJJ because of a recurring injury/tightness
  • I found out that my body became heavily imbalanced because of the way I sleep and how I tend to rely on one side when I'm in guard, both legs and grips
  • See a physical therapist and massage therapist if you ever experience discomfort
  • Mobility is so important, yoga is great for this, WimHof is great too

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
  • I have been on a break from BJJ because of a recurring injury/tightness
  • I found out that my body became heavily imbalanced because of the way I sleep and how I tend to rely on one side when I'm in guard, both legs and grips
  • See a physical therapist and massage therapist if you ever experience discomfort
  • Mobility is so important, yoga is great for this, WimHof is great too
Yes! Im a Hoffer also. Take my cold showers and do my breathing and pushups daily.

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
What fascinates me in all martial arts, whatever it would be grappling or stand up, but maybe in grappling you can feel dominance a bit more than in striking (although I have boxed with some top-level boxing guys and dominance level was immense and I am not talking only about overpunching, but the footwork, movement, positions...) is that you compare yourself to a lower level guys who can destroy some average guys and the difference is huge, they have no chance... Then you try against higher belts and you feel how dominante their are against you. Then you can imagine there are some black belts who can do to same what you do to the lower guy, to the higher belts who can do it to you.

And then there is cream of the pie, top level competition athletes who are on top of the food change who can do what you do to an average guy to those other black belts. So their dominance level on the average guy is unimaginable :D

Have you ever thought about that? :D

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
What fascinates me in all martial arts, whatever it would be grappling or stand up, but maybe in grappling you can feel dominance a bit more than in striking (although I have boxed with some top-level boxing guys and dominance level was immense and I am not talking only about overpunching, but the footwork, movement, positions...) is that you compare yourself to a lower level guys who can destroy some average guys and the difference is huge, they have no chance... Then you try against higher belts and you feel how dominante their are against you. Then you can imagine there are some black belts who can do to same what you do to the lower guy, to the higher belts who can do it to you.

And then there is cream of the pie, top level competition athletes who are on top of the food change who can do what you do to an average guy to those other black belts. So their dominance level on the average guy is unimaginable :D

Have you ever thought about that? :D

I think about that stuff all the time! Keeps me in the right mindset-humble, curious, but determined to improve, no matter where I'm at.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I do Krav Maga! meaning I don't want to settle it on the floor, get away I kick crotches real fast :p

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
I do Krav Maga! meaning I don't want to settle it on the floor, get away I kick crotches real fast :p

That works, too! lol

I was at bjj the other day and everyone was rolling with a partner when, out of nowhere, a voice exclaimed calmly "Dude, you just grabbed my balls"

Other guy: "No I didn't"

First guy: "Yes you did. Those were my balls. And it hurt"

Everybody around them laughed, and kept rolling.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
That works, too! lol

I was at bjj the other day and everyone was rolling with a partner when, out of nowhere, a voice exclaimed calmly "Dude, you just grabbed my balls"

LMAO it do be like that. :rofl:

I'm still low level cause I go on and off all the time so I am not allowed to spar for real yet, even though I got all my equipment and I look like a Stormtrooper with it cause it's all white and awesome. But it's the shit. I sleep like a baby after class.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
That works, too! lol

Always wear a cup.

Easier to crank arm-bars on, too.

ryan sharp

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 9, 2019
I started my BJJ journey 3 months ago,

I couldn't agree with you more.

Getting into uncomfortable situations is good for you,

The more uncomfortable you get in pressure situations ironically the more comfortable you get.

GREAT POST!

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I was told cups are a no-no bc they aren't allowed in competitions for bjj? Or did hear that incorrectly?
Lol yes, the rules might differ so definitely double check. But I've always used a cup, gi and no-gi.

Same for Muay Thai.

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
Always wear a cup.

Easier to crank arm-bars on, too.

Reason guys dont do that, especially somene who competes, because they don't allow cups on competition :)

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
Hey, greetings from the fellow blue belt and vice-champion of Baltic states in my division :) congrats of choosing this route! :)

I forgot to ask you where you are from? And congrats on winning your division?!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.