The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Another useless certificate?

A post of a ranting nature...

Delylah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 2, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about getting an advanced diploma in one of the following:
i. Accounting ii. Business Administration iii. Business Management

WHY?
Mainly so that I can have a professional reputation when dealing with business, but I also believe it's information worth learning.

I have 3 certificates that I currently don't use:

1. II Automotive Servicing Technology
Obtained in March, 2015. I followed this up with working in a mechanic workshop.

2. III Warehousing Operations
3. III Competitive Systems & Practices

Obtained in Nov, 2014. I had just graduated high school, with intentions of working in a factory for stable income but instead decided on spending 4 months relaxing (I just finished 13 years of schooling, can I breathe)

Thanks for reading :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hello everyone,

WHY?
Mainly so that I can have a professional reputation when dealing with business, but I also believe it's information worth learning.

Obtained in March, 2015. I followed this up with working in a mechanic workshop.

Obtained in Nov, 2014. I had just graduated high school, with intentions of working in a factory for stable income but instead decided on spending 4 months relaxing (I just finished 13 years of schooling, can I breathe)

To what end? What do you mean dealing with business?

I've never been in any kind of business dealing where the other side was like "Wow I'm really impressed by your certificates"...

I've definitely been in interactions that went like "Wow you've been taking massive action, and providing real value, I'm really impressed!"

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Perfect if you plan on becoming an accountant or a manager in someone else's business.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Hello everyone,

WHY?

Find out he text books used for the course and read them.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Is this something you really want to do. What are your goals for the future? What are you really passionate about pursuing as an Entrepreneur. I would investigate those questions. If you're going to get a degree get one that you can use as an Entrepreneur or that has something to add to it. Like my son wants to be in Robotics and Engineering. He can use those skills as an Entrepreneur at some point, and he also loves coding.
If you're not really interested in those subjects and have no plans for them in the future don't waste your time and energy. And don't waste your time going to school until you're ready to be serious about it. I used to see to many people drop out, simply because they weren't into learning.

Last edited by a moderator:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Don't bother.

Learn basic cost accounting and bookkeeping by yourself. Learn financial math and how to read financial statements by yourself.

You don't need to have a management diploma, degree, or MBA to run a business. All you need is the ability to self-educate on any topic you may have to learn as you go through the process.

You will gain a reputation by serving people, doing well by people, and executing on what you say you will do. In a way, you will have to start from the bottom.

Never let anyone tell you that you have to pay your dues by getting this or that credential. It's horseshit.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm not even sure of the purpose (or point) of this thread so I won't comment.

Delylah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 2, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
To what end? What do you mean dealing with business?

I've never been in any kind of business dealing where the other side was like "Wow I'm really impressed by your certificates"...

I've definitely been in interactions that went like "Wow you've been taking massive action, and providing real value, I'm really impressed!"

Excellent questions, really helped clear things up.

Initially, I wanted the certificate to prove to a partner that I am capable of being apart of their partnership (she's my aunty, has a slowlane mentality) I wanted experience out of this.

I realise that I should show her what I can do instead of what my certificate says I can do.

Thanks for your feedback!

Delylah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 2, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Don't bother.

Learn basic cost accounting and bookkeeping by yourself. Learn financial math and how to read financial statements by yourself.

You don't need to have a management diploma, degree, or MBA to run a business. All you need is the ability to self-educate on any topic you may have to learn as you go through the process.

You will gain a reputation by serving people, doing well by people, and executing on what you say you will do. In a way, you will have to start from the bottom.

Never let anyone tell you that you have to pay your dues by getting this or that credential. It's horseshit.

Reading this made me want to cry tears of joy haha, thank you for clearing that up! I am new to this, and was under the assumption that I HAD to be qualified for any true validation in my work. (Which is silly, I admit)

Delylah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 2, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Is this something you really want to do. What are your goals for the future? What are you really passionate about pursuing as an Entrepreneur. I would investigate those questions. If you're going to get a degree get one that you can use as an Entrepreneur or that has something to add to it. Like my son wants to be in Robotics and Engineering. He can use those skills as an Entrepreneur at some point, and he also loves coding.
If you're not really interested in those subjects and have no plans for them in the future don't waste your time and energy. And don't waste your time going to school until you're ready to be serious about it. I used to see to many people drop out, simply because they weren't into learning.

I have a lot of information to think about. Thanks for your input!

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
If you're going to do people's taxes, or mange their books, then a CPA would help. It would also help with "old school" investors because it shows that you're a numbers guy.

The other two certificates are bullshit.

Delylah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 2, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
If you're going to do people's taxes, or mange their books, then a CPA would help. It would also help with "old school" investors because it shows that you're a numbers guy.

The other two certificates are bullshit.

Back to textbooks I go!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.