The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Analytics Experts - Strange Analytics issues

JamesSJ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 25, 2012
Hey guys,

I wonder if there are any analytics experts out there who might know what's up with my site.

I recently moved my sites to a new server - everything has gone very smooth except my traffic has plummeted.

I was averaging 3000+ a day visits , now i'm getting around 1400 (the 3000 average was for a couple of years, the 1400 has been for about 2 weeks now).

On face value it looks like something has happened to my traffic sources - here's the thing... nothing has changed. Still ranking on Google where i was before, i have a fairly large (30k +) Fb community i'm regularly pumping out content too and an equally large email list.

Other things to note - my sales have not dropped which actually means my ecom conversions have risen, bounce rate has dropped, avg time on site has risen... in fact everything points to there being some issue with visits tracking being wrong somehow as all the other stats are showing that everything is fine.

Something else to note - i used to have loads of links on my sites built with Google's link builder (which adds on a bit of tracking code to the link so can track ecommerce funnels etc) - when i moved my sites across i removed all the google tracking so now all links are just regular links.

I can only assume that the tracked links were counting towards page visits - for example if someone came to the site and then clicked on a tracking link then they are counted as two visits.

That is the only way i can think why the traffic would show such a huge drop without sales or any other important metrics dipping. If i had dropped a page or two on Google i'd be able to see that - but as far as i can see everything has stayed the same!

Does anyone know if campaign links (generated with Google's link builder) are actually registering as visits - when looking at traffic sources search, direct and referral are mentioned alongside campaign so it looks like they are but i'm unsure.

Has anyone any suggestions? If you need any further info let me know and i'll gladly answer

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
First of all, make sure that when you are checking your rank, you are logged out of Google profile since Google does personalization of search result for every user. Next, if you have high bounce rate, please get rid of Google Analytics, since that will send signals to Google that your site doesn't give good user experience. I strongly recommend you get rid of Google Analytics entirely since I don't trust Google at all. Install some free analytics like Piwik. Good luck.

JoeV

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Feb 20, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Next, if you have high bounce rate, please get rid of Google Analytics, since that will send signals to Google that your site doesn't give good user experience. I strongly recommend you get rid of Google Analytics entirely since I don't trust Google at all. Install some free analytics like Piwik. Good luck.

Using Google will improve your rankings IF you have a good site. If you have a bad site and poor quality SEO, you better hide the site.

Google uses all of its tools to help rank sites. The merchant center, webmaster tools, analytics, adwords, etc.work together to help your site.

Google is not some spy company looking to screw you. They want businesses to do well. Their business was driven by adwords. Their quality search results is what attracted such a large base of return visitors. They just want people to find good quality relevant sites. But, if you are lazy and want to game the system, good luck. You ARE Google's enemy.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.