I've finally sat through High so I can now actually start a business properly.
I've toyed with this idea a bit over the past year or so, trying to flesh it out into something that could actually make me financially independent.
My first idea was to make a Google Analytics alternative that was actually privacy preserving.
Unfortunately, it's a crowded market with lots of smaller players.
So that made me think, what if I offered more services than them? That led me to Crazy Egg/Mouseflow, web analytics tools that have stuff like heatmaps and session recordings.
That wouldn't be that hard to replicate, but then again, I'd have no moat. Maybe also integrating payment processors/Shopify et al. so you'd know how user behavior is linked to sales? Wouldn't be good enough.
Later I read an article about Google Tag Manager and how it's basically spyware turned up to 11, and actively used on government websites.
Finally, that led me to a potential moat - EU-centric, radically transparent (so open-source under EUPL, the tracking dashboard of the business itself open and showcased on the home page) web analytics that are actually useful while being privacy preserving, marketed towards websites that have sensitive data (and later to governments).
So, still a completely theoretical idea, but it might be a sustainable business after a few years.
Thoughts?
Even if it's "don't do it lmao", I'd appreciate any kind of feedback.
I've toyed with this idea a bit over the past year or so, trying to flesh it out into something that could actually make me financially independent.
My first idea was to make a Google Analytics alternative that was actually privacy preserving.
Unfortunately, it's a crowded market with lots of smaller players.
So that made me think, what if I offered more services than them? That led me to Crazy Egg/Mouseflow, web analytics tools that have stuff like heatmaps and session recordings.
That wouldn't be that hard to replicate, but then again, I'd have no moat. Maybe also integrating payment processors/Shopify et al. so you'd know how user behavior is linked to sales? Wouldn't be good enough.
Later I read an article about Google Tag Manager and how it's basically spyware turned up to 11, and actively used on government websites.
Finally, that led me to a potential moat - EU-centric, radically transparent (so open-source under EUPL, the tracking dashboard of the business itself open and showcased on the home page) web analytics that are actually useful while being privacy preserving, marketed towards websites that have sensitive data (and later to governments).
So, still a completely theoretical idea, but it might be a sustainable business after a few years.
- Completely EU hosted, open source
- Users would still be buy hosting and support, I'd be FOSS for transparency and trust
- Comparable features to others
- Traffic analysis like Plausible/GA4
- Heatmaps with clicks and scrolls
- Session recordings
- Friction detection
- Funnels
- Some misc. (like webpage size or SEO)
- Multiple tiers further segmented by monthly pageviews
- Ads would be focused on business owners that sell via their website, and then cold mailing gov or similar projects
Thoughts?
Even if it's "don't do it lmao", I'd appreciate any kind of feedback.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
