The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Amazon purchased Whole Foods for $13.7 Billion

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Story is here Amazon is buying Whole Foods for $13.7 billion

Amazon has been trying to get into the grocery sector for a while with Amazon Fresh. Now they've definitely taken a huge leap ahead by acquiring Whole Foods.

Supposedly, Whole Foods will continue to operate business as usual under the and brand and same stores.

I think this is an interesting move for two reasons.

Amazon who has been dominating ecommerce and putting many B&M out of business, is now making a huge investment into B&M.

Amazon has wanted to get into grocery for a while. I think they'll start to use Whole Foods as part of their logistics chain to make that a reality. Was the purchase made for the brand or for its infrastructure?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Since Whole Foods is known for having an exceptionally well run distribution system in place, I would guess it's for the infrastructure.

Why start from scratch when you can buy it already made and running well?

$13.7 billion to buy a process.

I wonder how Whole Foods' customers (vegans, vegetarians, higher income health conscious consumers) will react to Amazon owning it?

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
This news is pummelling Grocery stocks in both US and Canada. Amazon is clearly viewed as a disrupter in the grocery space just as they were in the GM space.

Thoelk

Artificial Psycho
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Feb 18, 2014
Belgium
Story is here Amazon is buying Whole Foods for $13.7 billion

Amazon has been trying to get into the grocery sector for a while with Amazon Fresh. Now they've definitely taken a huge leap ahead by acquiring Whole Foods.

Supposedly, Whole Foods will continue to operate business as usual under the and brand and same stores.

I think this is an interesting move for two reasons.

Amazon who has been dominating ecommerce and putting many B&M out of business, is now making a huge investment into B&M.

Amazon has wanted to get into grocery for a while. I think they'll start to use Whole Foods as part of their logistics chain to make that a reality. Was the purchase made for the brand or for its infrastructure?

What a brilliant move.. My guess is it's for the infrastructure. And it makes perfect sense.. People are used to the brand. This is huge.. Even the Europeanen retailers took a big hit with this one... As if the sector wasn't competitive enough, this mammoth has entered the arena..

All the horror-stories aside, Bezos walks his talks.. thanks for the article! It's funny, here in Belgian the focus is on the AHold's shares taking a hit, instead of focussing on Amazon itself.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Whole foods customer- "OH NO WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO OUR ASPARAGUS INFUSED WATER!"

Not to be political here, but yeah, some of Whole Foods' customers are on the "socially liberal, anti-big business" side of the spectrum, and I expect there will be some backlash.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
This news is pummelling Grocery stocks in both US and Canada. Amazon is clearly viewed as a disrupter in the grocery space just as they were in the GM space.

It's really interesting seeing how the sector is freaking out now.

Being a food entrepreneur, it'll be interesting to see how this effects the consumer packaged goods space. Whole foods is typically the first major retailer new startups try to get into, as they're typically very easy to work with.

It would also be interesting to see how food brands will interact with the Whole Foods/Amazon partnership.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
I heard rumbles of this happening in April..

Having Amazon own Whole Foods is probably another way to try to get ahead with Wal-Mart who has had one of the best supply chains and logistics in the industry

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Plus,

Whole Foods is directed at the future of grocery, which is more health conscious.

The big boys (Walmart, Kroger, Cerberus) have a hard time competing in this space.

It works well with the "Amazon Fresh" brand.

Gives him a presence in both the US and Europe.

Bezos is a genius.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have a feeling I'm going to have a shit load of work coming my way once upper management at my Co. figures out what to make of this. :shit::thumbsdown:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Not to be political here, but yeah, some of Whole Foods' customers are on the "socially liberal, anti-big business" side of the spectrum, and I expect there will be some backlash.

Speaking theoretically - does Amazon care?

If Amazon's goal is to turn Whole Foods into the mass market giant it likes to be in everything, wouldn't pissing off Whole Food's core customer base in favor of accessing the rest of the market be a pretty solid trade-off?

Most companies couldn't pull of that kind of brazen dismissive attitude but assuming Amazon has a mass market strategy for this brand, I don't see why they'd care what the small % of anti-business folks think. Especially since the majority of them will CONTINUE to buy there regardless of ownership, even if they don't "like it".

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
If Amazon's goal is to turn Whole Foods into the mass market giant it likes to be in everything, wouldn't pissing off Whole Food's core customer base in favor of accessing the rest of the market be a pretty solid trade-off?

Yes! I work for a major Canadian grocer and though we pretend to care about our loyal customers, most of our strategies are directed at the masses.

Thoelk

Artificial Psycho
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Feb 18, 2014
Belgium
Plus,

Whole Foods is directed at the future of grocery, which is more health conscious.

The big boys (Walmart, Kroger, Cerberus) have a hard time competing in this space.

It works well with the "Amazon Fresh" brand.

Gives him a presence in both the US and Europe.

Bezos is a genius.

Exactly... This is huge! Im wondering how this will impact our local retailers here in West-Europe. We have a Benelux Amazon alternative.. They are actually part of the Ahold group as well..

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Bezos is an anti-Trump lib. The libs will like this.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
This has been in the works for a while. Personally, I think it's for the brand and B&M outlets. Amazon is already head and shoulders ahead of everyone else supply chain wise. I don't think Whole Foods customers will be super sensitive to this. Whole Foods straight up price gouges (literally in court in state of NY for it), and their stores are still full.

Here's the lay of the land:
  • There are essentialy 4 major grocery chains that dominate the market, and eventually they will be the only four left. (Safeway/Albertsons banners, Ahold Delhaize banners, Publix, and Kroger banners)
  • These retailers use 3rd party distributors for all but the biggest vendors (think Pepsi), primarily 2: KeHe and C&S.
  • These distributors gouge vendors, and simply doing sort/seg and consolidation sometimes takes them a couple weeks to get product on the shelves.
  • Amazon, on the other hand, has the ability to put a single item in the hands of a single consumer, the same day the order is placed.
2 things are going to happen, amazon will consolidate the supply chain with it's existing supply chain and literally cut out all the middle men. They'll be able to sell an item and the same price point Kroger does and make an extra 20% margin. They might undercut, but I suspect they'll simply start buying out smaller chains and re-branding. They'll probably come up with a semi-upscale banner that's not Whole Foods, but nicer than Kroger. Safeway has had a lot of success with this. My guess is they'll start sticking it in Safeway Albertson's and move their way West to East. By the time they get to New Jersey and Florida in 5-10 years Ahold and Publix will still be there, but the market share game will be totally over.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana

It'll likely be negligible. Most of them (generalizing here, of course) are more selective about big businesses and prefer smaller ones, but their outrage tends to be more focused at entrenched monoliths like Walmart.

Amazon also has a good reputation amongst them. Sure, there might be grumblings and stuff, but they still use Amazon and its many services. You just can't beat two day shipping.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

The spectacle of inclusion is good for business.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
It'll likely be negligible. Most of them (generalizing here, of course) are more selective about big businesses and prefer smaller ones, but their outrage tends to be more focused at entrenched monoliths like Walmart.

It's really more about style than substance. Being a billionaire is fine as long as you're a turtleneck wearing Buddhist vegetarian. muh marketing.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Realistically there's no pleasing those folks anyway.

They have the "rebel without a cause" personality going on so they just latch on to whatever the outrage du jour is.

And given that the only thing they "do" about anything is complain online before moving onto the next thing, I don't expect much of a problem.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
And I'm short COST and AMZN options. COST is taking a big beating.

As for the deal, at what point does Amazon get an anti-trust looksie? They're getting too big, and too dominant.

Not to mention, Bezos owns the Washington Compost.

G

GuestUser450

at what point does Amazon get an anti-trust looksie?

Can't imagine it happening. It'd be hard to prove intent to hurt consumers when they can argue pro-consumer justification for every acquisition. A quick nod to their past stock performance, razor-thin margins and aggressive pricing would back it up.

Bezos is smart - he'd argue that subversive "network effects" are industry innovation, that antitrust would set a dangerous precedent, and that the properties are too fragmented to be a monopoly. Consumers won't ask for it because of the reputation. Rivals would - but co.s like Walmart wouldn't touch it because it would end in a slap on the wrist settlement that might actually give Amz real antitrust immunity.

And so the story goes, to echo @G-Man, marketing is perception and perception is reality for most people.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Is this really going to change anything? Amazon owns Whole Foods, but Whole Foods will still stand. The revenues of Whole Foods goes to the Amazon financial statements and it will help to enhance their Fresh strategy. It will be interesting to see how Whole Foods changes in the coming years. More than likely you'll start seeing the transformation from the Whole Foods name to the Amazon brand once they start figuring out how to integrate their new technologies into the stores.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Did Amazon change the Zappos culture after acquisition? How about their other acquisitions?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
If Amazon's goal is to turn Whole Foods into the mass market giant

It's not already?

Whole Foods is F*cking everywhere. Every city and suburb with an average gross income of over $50k/yr has at least one Whole Foods.

I, for one, would be very interested to see what happens if/when Amazon decides to integrate the Whole Foods network into their existing systems.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Crazy to think this company was started in a garage in 1994... only 23 years ago.

As for the deal, at what point does Amazon get an anti-trust looksie? They're getting too big, and too dominant.

Amazon has really ramped up their (on the books) lobbying the past two years, so probably never. Bezos must be plotting to take over the world.

Lobbying Spending Database - Amazon.com, 2017 | OpenSecrets

Not to mention, Bezos owns the Washington Compost.

This is the biggest lobbying effort.

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
I definitely think this for infrastructure. Amazon released a video earlier this year about a store with no cashiers and allowing you to pay with your phone. So this instantly gives Amazon huge leverage across the U.S. for grocery retail. I don't shop at whole foods because of the prices. Although I'm extremely health conscious, I wonder how the quality of food will be after Amazon integrates everything into Whole Foods.

rrclark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jun 7, 2013
Victoria, BC, Canada
I definitely think this for infrastructure. Amazon released a video earlier this year about a store with no cashiers and allowing you to pay with your phone. So this instantly gives Amazon huge leverage across the U.S. for grocery retail. I don't shop at whole foods because of the prices. Although I'm extremely health conscious, I wonder how the quality of food will be after Amazon integrates everything into Whole Foods.

We just got one here where I live and it's a wonderland for a health loving islander but yea those prices keep me away most of the time. I do wonder what this will do to their model but this is pretty wild news.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007