The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Amazon market

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Hey Guys,
So I am decided to get into the Amazon market. I have been listening The Amazing Seller Scott Voelker And taking notes , I was eventually looking into commercial cleaning business but decided to switch gears. I have been in the ecommerce business and it's time to get back.

Action I have taken
-Chose the market I will get into
-I have three items I am looking into in that market
-Yes it is a market I can sell more than one product
-I bought the jungle scout program to see if my item is competitive and is worth selling it (Cost me about $150)

Next
-Contacted alibaba sellers to ask about pricing (Contacted about 8 sellers)

Stuck (Need a bit of help before I even buy this product, I would hate to end up with tons of inventory and not being able to sell it)

-How do I know if this is a good product or even a good market to get into ?

-what numbers should I look into on jungle scout ?
-what BSR ranking should it be ?

Things I have in mind that I can do to bring value to these Amazon buyers

-Give them an extra accessory with my product
-Give them a link to a YouTube videos on tips on how to use this product better
-Do a pdf file to throw in there with tips and instructions
-Set them up on a weekly mailers list offering more tips, latest news, and even more product that I will be selling.
-Questions on what would they like to see different? Or how will they like this product to be made to make their life easier ?

The million dollar question
-Is an Amazon seller still even a good business to get into ?

Thank you guys in advance, looking forward to all your guys response. Sorry if my english isn't that good, I had to quickly ask these questions here on the forum before I forget them, I literally just finished washing my car and I'm sitting here inside writing this before I forget.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PTP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
766%
Dec 28, 2015
DFW, TX

-what numbers should I look into on jungle scout ?
-what BSR ranking should it be ?

First of all congrats on moving forward and taking the first steps.

Whether or not a product is a good or bad is something you are going to have to decide on for yourself.
This is where an element of risk comes into play and the only way to figure out for certain is to just take the leap and test test test.

I would suggest watching jungle scouts youtube channel. They did a case study which I found to be extremely helpful.

Things I have in mind that I can do to bring value to these Amazon buyers

-Give them an extra accessory with my product
-Give them a link to a YouTube videos on tips on how to use this product better
-Do a pdf file to throw in there with tips and instructions
-Set them up on a weekly mailers list offering more tips, latest news, and even more product that I will be selling.
-Questions on what would they like to see different? Or how will they like this product to be made to make their life easier ?

These are good but you need to think bigger. What improvements can you make to the actual product itself to make it the most dominant in the niche?

How can you solve the needs that are not being met by preexisting products?

Once again this is something that only you can answer. How hard are you willing to work? Are you just going to slap your label onto something and call it a day? Or are you going to make an improved product that solves a need?

No matter what anyone says, their will always be a demand for something that is an improvement of a product that solves a need that is not being met.

Generic product P/L may be becoming less viable, but adding value will never go out of fashion.

I wish you the best of luck!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Your focus is backwards. Why is your focus a channel? You should be focused on owning/controlling a product worth selling and falls within CENTS.

Is being a Walmart seller a good business to get into?

Is selling stuff on a roadside corner a good business to get into?

Gee, I don't know, WTF are you selling? I guess for these Amazon chasers, it doesn't matter because of PAAASSSSIVE INCOMMMMME!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I was eventually looking into commercial cleaning business but decided to switch gears

I don't mean to offend... but your post screams 'money chaser'.

You seem to only be marginally interested in solving problems, and mainly interested in making an easy buck.

If you were on the forum in 2011 and 2012, you'd be looking into Craigslist and SEO e-commerce pages. In 2013, you'd be looking at private labelling supplements. In 2014, probably looking into Kindle books. Last year, you wanted to do commercial cleaning. I'm surprised you haven't 'dabbled in options' yet.

The biggest AMZ sellers I know don't bother with those software programs like Jungle Scout.

Stuck (Need a bit of help before I even buy this product, I would hate to end up with tons of inventory and not being able to sell it)

And you want to offload a bit of risk by asking us if what you're doing will sell? Hm.

I'll tell you: I do OK in a business that everyone was trying to start about 15 years ago, and most people failed in. So what the F*ck does it matter?

I've never done Amazon so I can't advise you on that, but I'll tell you one thing: your mindset still needs to shift. Re-read @IceCreamKid's thread, re-read MJ's book, and start again with the product search.

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
I can tell you first hand that the days of slapping a logo on a generic product have come to an end the Amazon gold rush era if you will. That market has consolidated, unless of course you have deep pockets and can spend your way to the top (which I don't recommend)

Read through this thread as it should help you: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-to-do-it-the-easy-way-or-the-hard-way.64808/

If you want to really build a business starting on Amazon you need a unique product that actually ads value. Not one anyone else can just order and slap their logo on and be in business in 3 weeks. I followed the Amazing Seller "steps" and I did OK, but ultimately if I wanted to compete for top market share I would be doing giveaways every month and now there are 3-5 sellers selling the exact same thing as me which has been a race to the bottom in pricing. Needless to say I am NOT re-ordering. Plus my product isn't the best or most sought after "version" in my niche. Either way I learned a lot which is what counts and this time around I am going to succeed.

On a side note The Amazing Seller Podcast does have a ton of good information (I listen to him regularly) . Just be aware thousands of other people are trying to get into "amazon business" thinking it is easy money doing his step by step process. (which may have worked well 2 years ago, but it is a different game in 2016). Hence the flood of sellers virtually all selling almost the exact same thing and all doing the exact same tactics. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night trying to build a business/support myself that basically relies on gaming the system to get sales.

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA

?

didn't you just make a post saying you're gonna be a real estate millionaire?

you had success. focus on growing that. don't jump into amazon because it's the "hot" thing to do, especially if you can't invest all of your energy into it.

It's hyper competitive. if your dabbling in this, you'll get crushed by people who will outspend and outsmart you.

the best opportunities usually lie in the business you already have experience with, IMO

21elnegocio

Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
First of all congrats on moving forward and taking the first steps.

Whether or not a product is a good or bad is something you are going to have to decide on for yourself.
This is where an element of risk comes into play and the only way to figure out for certain is to just take the leap and test test test.

I would suggest watching jungle scouts youtube channel. They did a case study which I found to be extremely helpful.

These are good but you need to think bigger. What improvements can you make to the actual product itself to make it the most dominant in the niche?

How can you solve the needs that are not being met by preexisting products?

Once again this is something that only you can answer. How hard are you willing to work? Are you just going to slap your label onto something and call it a day? Or are you going to make an improved product that solves a need?

No matter what anyone says, their will always be a demand for something that is an improvement of a product that solves a need that is not being met.

Generic product P/L may be becoming less viable, but adding value will never go out of fashion.

I wish you the best of luck!

That is exactly what I am thinking, I want to modify the product. Thank you for your response

21elnegocio

Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
?

didn't you just make a post saying you're gonna be a real estate millionaire?

you had success. focus on growing that. don't jump into amazon because it's the "hot" thing to do, especially if you can't invest all of your energy into it.

It's hyper competitive. if your dabbling in this, you'll get crushed by people who will outspend and outsmart you.

the best opportunities usually lie in the business you already have experience with, IMO

Very true yes I am in the real estate business crushing it, but I have always thought that the only way to scale up is to have a few more sources of income. But you are right I need to focus all of my energy in one field. Real estate is my backbone

21elnegocio

Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Your focus is backwards. Why is your focus a channel? You should be focused on owning/controlling a product worth selling and falls within CENTS.

Is being a Walmart seller a good business to get into?

Is selling stuff on a roadside corner a good business to get into?

Gee, I don't know, WTF are you selling? I guess for these Amazon chasers, it doesn't matter because of PAAASSSSIVE INCOMMMMME!

I respect your answer @MJ DeMarco hey I am just trying to have a couple more sources of income.

MC Hammer

Too cold to get old
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Dec 19, 2015
Looks like you may have found your answer in here. This forum is great because of the diversity of opinions. So many good ones in this thread.

One way or another, you do need to find a competitive advantage. Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.