The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Amazon cracking down on discounted product reviews and coupon clubs

4x4ord

It's all about freedom
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 28, 2015
It appears the Amazon reviewer, AMZTracker and coupon club forums are buzzing lately about Amazon cracking down on reviews that aren't coming from true, honest purchases.

I applaud the effort! Amazon reviews are becoming worthless because of the latest scheme of pumping new products with incentivised reviews. People are losing faith in Amazon and it is surely costing Amazon.

As I get ready to launch a new product, it is disheartening to see crappy, unrefined versions of a similar product with 50 outstanding "unbiased reviews for discounted product", and 2 reviews from verified purchases saying the product is horrible.

I decided from the start to grow sales organically. Hopefully Amazon purges all the get rich quick sellers using these tactics to get rankings, so honest sellers will rise to the top on honest sales, good products and good customer service.

http://community.amztracker.com/dis...-the-value-of-reviews-for-discounted-products

https://www.amazon.com/forum/top re...5LRXMSUDQH2&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx233BJJKDEQMJL

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Good. I think those reviews hurt legit sellers AND consumers.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Finally. I sent an email to their CEO about this last year. I love to see the stories about the reviewers that are getting TKO'ed.

Some of them are literally too stupid to realize their own integrity breech.

Rigged

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 17, 2015
New York
I can confirm the hysteria around this. I am about to launch my first product soon and I have been following this facebook group with amazon sellers. The predominant topic on the group is regarding the deleted reviews they get as a result of 90%+ discount sales.
It is good this is happening. Too many wanteprenours with selfish reasons are out there. If you have a good product you don't need the crap a$$ fake reviews to make it.

4x4ord

It's all about freedom
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 28, 2015
Any new news on this? I'm still reading about top reviewers being knocked off by AMZ.

Unfortunately, I am getting ready to launch a product that I've been developing for several months, to find the niche has been completely flooded by crappy imitations and tons of "received this product at a discount" reviews. This niche has gone from 2 to 20-30 in 30 days!

What is the end game? Does Amazon get this fixed and repair their reputation? Is this the chink in the armor that brings down the giant?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Does Amazon get this fixed and repair their reputation? Is this the chink in the armor that brings down the giant?

Their reputation is hardly tarnished. They are still one of the largest marketplaces on the planet and even people who are frustrated with it are still very, very happy to shop there. Giant's aren't dethroned due to a few problems. They are dethroned by better alternatives and if you were to ask me to name even one viable alternative to Amazon that doesn't also suffer the same issues I couldn't do it.

I think the best solution to the problem (from Amazon's side) is to simply institute a ratio of coupon or unverified reviews to full price reviews. This would make it pretty unprofitable to game the system for all but the big players. Imagine if you needed 5 full price reviews for every unverified or coupon-generated review. To game this system you would have to pay reviewers full price for products for every 1 that you can give away for a buck (or whatever). It would be brutal.

As for your own situation - if your product is better, you should win long-term. Better products always do.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Any new news on this? I'm still reading about top reviewers being knocked off by AMZ.

Unfortunately, I am getting ready to launch a product that I've been developing for several months, to find the niche has been completely flooded by crappy imitations and tons of "received this product at a discount" reviews. This niche has gone from 2 to 20-30 in 30 days!

What is the end game? Does Amazon get this fixed and repair their reputation? Is this the chink in the armor that brings down the giant?

Is your product better than the others? If the niche has gone from 2 to 30 in a month, I'd say that you picked one of those AMZ seller checklist products and you are in for a battle when it launches.

4x4ord

It's all about freedom
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 28, 2015
Is your product better than the others? If the niche has gone from 2 to 30 in a month, I'd say that you picked one of those AMZ seller checklist products and you are in for a battle when it launches.

I definitely think I stumbled in to an AMZ checklist product. My product is better than 80% of them. It's a pretty simple tool, so pretty hard to significantly improve the design. I suspect the bogus sellers will loose interest after they sell their first 1000, or Amazon will squash their account for poor reviews after their paid for reviews stop coming. I'll buy 1000 of my product, price them to make my costs back, and wait to see if the riff raff clears out. The market is huge, so I should come out ok.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.