The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[AMA] Importing & wholesaling for resale on eBay.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
How did you go about of finding a legit China manufacturer? I would like to sell Jordan's or other Nike shoes, but I feel like most are fakes. I've heard of Alibaba and Aliexpress, but I'm not sure they're legit.
You will not find legit Jordan's or Nikes on any chinese site. The only way to get those legit is direct through Nike and Jordan distributors and I am going to guess they want a physical store and way more volume than you are prepared to buy at one time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dream&Achieve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 24, 2015
You will not find legit Jordan's or Nikes on any chinese site. The only way to get those legit is direct through Nike and Jordan distributors and I am going to guess they want a physical store and way more volume than you are prepared to buy at one time.
Okay that's sort of what I figured. If I want to start by buying something smaller to resell on Ebay, such as cases for electronics or something like that how would you go about finding a legit one. How can you tell between legit and fake suppliers?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Okay that's sort of what I figured. If I want to start by buying something smaller to resell on Ebay, such as cases for electronics or something like that how would you go about finding a legit one. How can you tell between legit and fake suppliers?
If the item is branded by a name you know it is most likely a knockoff. (Apple, Otterbox, Lifeproof, etc.) If there is no brand on it or If the brand is a chinese one you should be fine reselling it.

Electronics cases (cell phones & tablets) is a super saturated market on eBay and Amazon. I would not recommend selling those products until you have lots of money to throw at it or not at all.

Dream&Achieve

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 24, 2015
If the item is branded by a name you know it is most likely a knockoff. (Apple, Otterbox, Lifeproof, etc.) If there is no brand on it or If the brand is a chinese one you should be fine reselling it.

Electronics cases (cell phones & tablets) is a super saturated market on eBay and Amazon. I would not recommend selling those products until you have lots of money to throw at it or not at all.
What product would you start of selling for a beginner?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
What product would you start of selling for a beginner?
The product isn't the answer. The act of finding products is. I can hand you a great product that sells well and you will make money on it for a few months or years. If you never learn the process of how to find products you will be in trouble.

How do you find products? Read the 76 pages of this thread. I have outlined it multiple times and many people have chimed in with helpful tips or tricks many different times as well.

GMJimmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 19, 2015
I'm actually based in the UK, so the FDA does not apply here. The manufacturer has ISO, MSDS, Free Sale and SGS certifications, so I'm hoping that will be sufficient to keep the wolves from the door.
May I give a short answer here?

In my experience you need to submit a lot of information through the Cosmetic Product Notification Portal before you first put the product on the market and you may not receive all required documents. It's easier to buy from the UK or EU.

Last edited:

mikeobi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Mar 4, 2015
California
Hello Ecom man,

I've found a product I want to test on DHgate. I wanted to why DHgate gets a bad rep? Is even the feedback bad to go off? They use escrow so is it that some buyers are getting what was listed?

BlahBlahBlah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 9, 2015
Ireland
So far I had my (few) orders delivered from China via DHL, my first product was very small so it is fine for me to get it delivered fast and the delivery charges do not impact my profit margin too much (buying from Alibaba Suppliers).

Said this my next products (4-5 different products) will be larger and my eCommerce store will be created to sell these products, therefore I will order in larger quantities. DHL will probably be very expensive (I will have an exact quote this week hopefully), so I was wondering whether instead of via Sea I can just have it delivered via China Post Registered Air Mail, which is the delivery method used for items on AliExpress? Is this safe? I don't mind if instead of 1 week it takes 4 weeks to have the item delivered to my door, I can live with that as I will try to organize myself properly, but really would like to save on shipping where possible.

Thank you for you advice!

DamienP

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Sep 27, 2015
UK
May I give a short answer here?

In my experience you need to submit a lot of information through the Cosmetic Product Notification Portal before you first put the product on the market and you may not receive all required documents. It's easier to buy from the UK or EU.

After researching this at length, I found that you are indeed correct, and I sourced a UK supplier. Slightly higher prices were offset easily by time savings and reduced shipping costs and MOQ's, not to mention the fact that their private label product (that I adapted) was already covered with the right paperwork, saving me a few thousand pounds.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Hello Ecom man,

I've found a product I want to test on DHgate. I wanted to why DHgate gets a bad rep? Is even the feedback bad to go off? They use escrow so is it that some buyers are getting what was listed?
Dhgate gets a bad rap for the same reason that eBay does, there are bad sellers. Every platform has bad sellers that can make the site look bad. The huge thing about dhgate is you pay via credit card. Credit card companies are really good about working with you if the seller scams you. That is a huge safety net.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
So far I had my (few) orders delivered from China via DHL, my first product was very small so it is fine for me to get it delivered fast and the delivery charges do not impact my profit margin too much (buying from Alibaba Suppliers).

Said this my next products (4-5 different products) will be larger and my eCommerce store will be created to sell these products, therefore I will order in larger quantities. DHL will probably be very expensive (I will have an exact quote this week hopefully), so I was wondering whether instead of via Sea I can just have it delivered via China Post Registered Air Mail, which is the delivery method used for items on AliExpress? Is this safe? I don't mind if instead of 1 week it takes 4 weeks to have the item delivered to my door, I can live with that as I will try to organize myself properly, but really would like to save on shipping where possible.

Thank you for you advice!
Your best option is to contact your supplier and see what shipping options they will use and what the cost is for each. You can then compare and see what is the best option. China post is normally far cheaper than DHL and way slower but there might be restrictions on weight or size that your supplier doesn't want to deal with.

nomeus

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 16, 2015
Great post, highly appreciate.

How are you doing in sales right now? (75 pages are too much to go through (right now got to 9th page))
And how many different items are you selling?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Great post, highly appreciate.

How are you doing in sales right now? (75 pages are too much to go through (right now got to 9th page))
And how many different items are you selling?
Sales have been about the same every month. They should start to slowly ramp up this month and then explode on Black Friday through Christmas. I have 75-80 products that I sell currently. Probably about 20 of them sell multiple items a week. The rest sell one a week or so.

nomeus

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 16, 2015
Sales have been about the same every month. They should start to slowly ramp up this month and then explode on Black Friday through Christmas. I have 75-80 products that I sell currently. Probably about 20 of them sell multiple items a week. The rest sell one a week or so.

Have you considered building your own store (or stores)? That way you eventually can build your own brand and products to sell and increase your margins.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Have you considered building your own store (or stores)? That way you eventually can build your own brand and products to sell and increase your margins.
I have been selling almost solely on my own website since February. About 90%+ of my sales come from there.

nomeus

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 16, 2015
I have been selling almost solely on my own website since February. About 90%+ of my sales come from there.

Ok, I guess I have to read through all the pages, and then ask questions! :) Thank you for your answers.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Ok, I guess I have to read through all the pages, and then ask questions! :) Thank you for your answers.
Happy to help

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA

It seems like the biggest advantage amazon has for customers is Prime shipping vs your own site. 2 day shipping would be a considerable expense normally.
How do you compete with that? Or you just don't really worry about it?

BlahBlahBlah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 9, 2015
Ireland
Hi Ecom_man ,

I have a couple of questions:

1) When purchasing items do you request your Chinese supplier to always include an invoice with the correct value inside the package? I placed my first order a couple of months ago and didn't care much about getting an invoice with it, but now I have opened a Ltd. company and so I need to record all transactions properly and my accountant said that the paypal record of the transactions is not enough and need to keep the actual invoice also. Is it usually a problem for suppliers to provide this?

2) In terms of advertisement and building an long-term audience for your e-commerce site, what do you think is best? Facebook, Adwords, etc? The way I see Adwords, Amazon PPC, etc. is that they are better for instant sales but I like the idea of Facebook as it gather an audience that you can interact with more than a one-off once they have liked your page. What do you think? I will be receive my first order with my own branded products next week and I have never advertised before, I will try a bit of everything and see what works and what doesn't but would like to understand how facebook advertising/page works for you.

3) Going on holidays soon won't be able to ship items that I currently have up for sale on eBay. Should I just put them down or increase the price in a ridiculous way so nobody will buy them until I return? Will this affect somehow my ranking in the item list?

Thank you again!

Last edited:

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
It seems like the biggest advantage amazon has for customers is Prime shipping vs your own site. 2 day shipping would be a considerable expense normally.
How do you compete with that? Or you just don't really worry about it?
I would agree that is a huge advantage over many companies. We ship all items out within 24hours so most items are received within 2-3 days. We also have the best possible customer service. All emails are answered within minutes and telephone calls are answered by a real person. That is something that is not done by many companies. Find a way to stand out in your area.

Sevlow9

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Sep 17, 2015
Hi ecom man back again with a few more questions, thanks again for all the great info!

1) currently do you sell on amazon or ebay, which do you prefer and why. After watching a start up bro's webinar they mainly sell on Amazon but suggest starting off on ebay then move to amazon, is this a good place to start as a new seller to get my feet wet, or should i not waste my time and start with amazon first since they report that most of the ecommerce sales are going through amazon nowadays.

2) do you suggest selling any type of products to begin with then once you find one that sells the best expand into that products niche and sell products associated with it all with the end goal of creating a brand/ or own product in that area? and if the end goal is creating your own brand shouldn't you sell products you are knowledgeable and passionate about that way then you put yourself at a great starting point since your knowledgeable about that particular market?

3) how can i get my product on the front page of results on ebay? on amazon people are giving away products just so they can get reviews which enables them to rank higher in the search results. do you think this is a good strategy and can you do something like this on ebay? how can i grow my feedback score quickly and do you have any general tips you use to place higher in the search results

4) when starting out would you suggest alibaba or aliexpress, my reason for this question is that obviously i want to test the market in smaller samples and quantities but the profit margins are not as good as alibaba when ordering large quantities, is it inevitable that I'm going to take that hit in costs in the early stages until my product is selling consistently then making the switch from ali express to alibaba when i decide it's time to order larger quantities? and out of the 2 what are you currently using at the moment and why with regards to your stage in your business your currently in?

5) If i order samples from alibaba is the general rule of thumb samples are free but i get charged for the shipping? if so how can i confirm this with a supplier without sounding like i have no clue what i am doing? and you suggest doing small orders at first then ramp up the quantity size each time, how can i negotiate a moq of say 500 down to 10 or 20 to begin with without getting destroyed on shipping costs?

6) Again in the start up bro webinar they suggest finding products from the amazon best seller lists, but if your choosing products from the best sellers list doesn't that already signal there's too much competition for that product and there's a chance there are already power sellers selling that product, as a new seller of this product wont i be placed right down the listings where people can't see me due to ratings? even with a high sell through ratio on terapeak wont it be useless if customers don't even see my product in the first place?

any insight would be great!!!!

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Hi ecom man back again with a few more questions, thanks again for all the great info!

1) currently do you sell on amazon or ebay, which do you prefer and why. After watching a start up bro's webinar they mainly sell on Amazon but suggest starting off on ebay then move to amazon, is this a good place to start as a new seller to get my feet wet, or should i not waste my time and start with amazon first since they report that most of the ecommerce sales are going through amazon nowadays.

2) do you suggest selling any type of products to begin with then once you find one that sells the best expand into that products niche and sell products associated with it all with the end goal of creating a brand/ or own product in that area? and if the end goal is creating your own brand shouldn't you sell products you are knowledgeable and passionate about that way then you put yourself at a great starting point since your knowledgeable about that particular market?

3) how can i get my product on the front page of results on ebay? on amazon people are giving away products just so they can get reviews which enables them to rank higher in the search results. do you think this is a good strategy and can you do something like this on ebay? how can i grow my feedback score quickly and do you have any general tips you use to place higher in the search results

4) when starting out would you suggest alibaba or aliexpress, my reason for this question is that obviously i want to test the market in smaller samples and quantities but the profit margins are not as good as alibaba when ordering large quantities, is it inevitable that I'm going to take that hit in costs in the early stages until my product is selling consistently then making the switch from ali express to alibaba when i decide it's time to order larger quantities? and out of the 2 what are you currently using at the moment and why with regards to your stage in your business your currently in?

5) If i order samples from alibaba is the general rule of thumb samples are free but i get charged for the shipping? if so how can i confirm this with a supplier without sounding like i have no clue what i am doing? and you suggest doing small orders at first then ramp up the quantity size each time, how can i negotiate a moq of say 500 down to 10 or 20 to begin with without getting destroyed on shipping costs?

6) Again in the start up bro webinar they suggest finding products from the amazon best seller lists, but if your choosing products from the best sellers list doesn't that already signal there's too much competition for that product and there's a chance there are already power sellers selling that product, as a new seller of this product wont i be placed right down the listings where people can't see me due to ratings? even with a high sell through ratio on terapeak wont it be useless if customers don't even see my product in the first place?

1. I currently sell mainly through my own website. I sell 5 products on Amazon and between 80-100 on my site. I do not currently have anything listed for sale on eBay and probably won't ever go back to selling on there.
If you have never sold online before I agree started on eBay is better. Amazon is really stringent on their metrics so to get the ball rolling and to get the hang of things I would recommend starting on eBay.

2. I will sell anything and everything that has good margins. I have tried clothes, lingerie, electronics, and pretty much any category you can think of. I don't care if I know absolutely nothing about the category, if there are margins and sales I will learn. Don't pin yourself down to one category because it is your "passion".

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014

3. There is no shortcut to building reviews or feedback. You get to the first page of "best match" on eBay by good feedback or by being one of the only people selling that item.
4. I personally start with aliexpress or dhgate for samples. Alibaba takes a lot more hassle to make the first purchase. I would rather spend a little more for the sample and be able to try 10-20 new products a month then to try and get them cheap on Alibaba and only be able to try 5 samples a month. Get in and get testing as quick as possible is my goal.
5. Everything is negotiable but I prefer to do samples as quick as possible. That's why I don't do samples on alibaba.
6. That is one thing I strongly disagree with startupbros about. I have never found a product with any workable margins on any of those lists. I prefer to find some random products that have good margins and order 10-20 and see how long it takes to sell them and what the final profit per item is.

Sevlow9

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Sep 17, 2015
thanks for answering my questions Ecom man, it has made things a lot clearer! Yeah i always thought finding products from a best seller list was counter intuitive to finding a untouched market, they are best seller's for a reason lol

just to follow up what is the reason you have now moved to your own site, is that only because you have a lot more control on your whole operation and you don't have to pay seller fees or something else, and why only 5 products on amazon? is that to drive customers to your website and if so how?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
thanks for answering my questions Ecom man, it has made things a lot clearer! Yeah i always thought finding products from a best seller list was counter intuitive to finding a untouched market, they are best seller's for a reason lol

just to follow up what is the reason you have now moved to your own site, is that only because you have a lot more control on your whole operation and you don't have to pay seller fees or something else, and why only 5 products on amazon? is that to drive customers to your website and if so how?
I started selling on my own site for a couple of reasons. Control is probably the biggest one. When you sell on Amazon or eBay you are at the mercy of their changing rules or fees. The other reason is return buyers. If I make someone happy they will come back to my site. If I make them happy on eBay they will go back to eBay but may or may not buy from me again.

The 5 products on Amazon are in a totally different category. They are wayyyyy different than anything I normally sell. I will be creating a new website for this niche in January and jumping from 5 products to 25-50.

StuckInTheMud

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Nov 8, 2015
Wales, UK
Hi Ecom man,

From a previous lurker, thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge on this subject. I've learnt a lot through reading through this thread and I'm sure many others have also.

I am trying to get into importing myself but I'm having trouble finding a product that can still give worthwhile profit margins after two lots of VAT (20% into the country and 20% selling to eBay customer) plus all the other costs. From what I have read from others in Europe, it is possible to find a product but I can see it taking a lot longer than those living outside of Europe. This is my major stumbling block at the moment, but I will push through it and let others know how long it takes when I do eventually find one.

As some sort of return gesture of thanks to you Ecom man, I'm posting a UK Importing costs/net profit calculator I created in Excel. It is based on standard charges, so do not assume it covers all goods. If you notice anything wrong with it, let me know!

Attachments

• Import+Net Profit Calculator.xlsx
    11.2 KB · Views: 11

nomeus

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 16, 2015
Was this question answered? -> What ecommerce software do you use for your site? And why.

I currently use Opencart, as it is pretty easy to learn and I can edit it myself.

Last edited:

BlahBlahBlah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 9, 2015
Ireland
Hi Ecom_man ,

I have a couple of questions:

1) When purchasing items do you request your Chinese supplier to always include an invoice with the correct value inside the package? I placed my first order a couple of months ago and didn't care much about getting an invoice with it, but now I have opened a Ltd. company and so I need to record all transactions properly and my accountant said that the paypal record of the transactions is not enough and need to keep the actual invoice also. Is it usually a problem for suppliers to provide this?

2) In terms of advertisement and building an long-term audience for your e-commerce site, what do you think is best? Facebook, Adwords, etc? The way I see Adwords, Amazon PPC, etc. is that they are better for instant sales but I like the idea of Facebook as it gather an audience that you can interact with more than a one-off once they have liked your page. What do you think? I will be receive my first order with my own branded products next week and I have never advertised before, I will try a bit of everything and see what works and what doesn't but would like to understand how facebook advertising/page works for you.

3) Going on holidays soon won't be able to ship items that I currently have up for sale on eBay. Should I just put them down or increase the price in a ridiculous way so nobody will buy them until I return? Will this affect somehow my ranking in the item list?

Thank you again!

Hi Ecom_man, I wonder if you could kindly get back on my questions above? Thank you so much again!

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Was this question answered? -> What ecommerce software do you use for your site? And why.

I currently use Opencart, as it is pretty easy to learn and I can edit it myself.
I use shopify. It is super easy to set up and they take care of literally everything. If you can use the Internet you can set up a site on shopify.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.