The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[AMA] Importing & wholesaling for resale on eBay.

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
Probably 10k in the last year or so. Like I said I have made profit doing this, but no products with enough margins to justify my time and effort.

Hmm well that particular product he is selling is "aws" American Weight Scales. It may be American made so people are perceiving higher value. It may even be made in china but rebranded, either way it's the word "american" or the brand giving the buyer more confidence.

Either way I appreciate you taking time to respond and by no means am I asking for a handout, just seeing if there's any more vague tips to refine my search process.

So far it's looking like test, rinse, repeat until hitting a home run.
Yeah and the particular scale in the example only sells for $10 on ebay and amazon with not good reviews. So, Ecom man, would you take the chance and put up with different pics and copy/keywords?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Ecom man thanks for your input on everything. I live in Europe and here we are not allowed to take things in from China for free. So for example if i want to take in a watch i have to pay like this purchase price+ 4.5% tax+shipping+25% vat.

The vat im able to get back if i start a company but then i would have to pay 50% taxes on the profit. Is this whole concept simply not worth looking into?

s168

You get out what you put in
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 12, 2011
London, UK
Mosdef, the fact that you see European sellers on eBay reselling items that are blatantly from China and have huge feedback numbers in the tens or hundreds of thousands should tell you that money can be made. I'm in the UK and see this ALL the time.

I would not equate net price paid received, to selling prices. To me it's about finding the items that have high value to weight/size ratios, that isn't saturated in any particular category. Some items can be listed for multi-use, like the scales example given, so it depends on whether you can rank for, and make a decent profit from a category that doesn't have too many sellers cutting each other's throats for tiny margins.

What I did before was to create a basic calculator to determine net unit price paid inclusive of shipping and taxes. Then add eBay listing/sales and PayPal fees and, separately, do the same for the equivalent Amazon UK ones. The figures I get tells me my break even price on each marketplace.

Then I check the listings and sales figures for sellers (checking feedback gives an indicator of sales too). If the number of sales are good and the margins look thin or negative for any particular item, then I know they are getting better prices usually because of volume buys. I just have to determine whether I want to compete in this space with them and negotiate with suppliers for the best prices I can get. Otherwise I move on. If the selling prices are good, then I might order sample batches to resell and see if I can create better listings than my competitors. I would definitely consider branding my items too if the market is quite competitive and proven to have lots of customers. I would also build myself up as a separate business that deals exclusively in these products and closely related items. If I want to sell other items, I would create a new account specifically for that and do the same thing. I would consider selling at breakeven initially to build feedback records and go from there, increasing prices later once my brand is established.

It's trial and error. But it is doable.

Last edited:

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
i have been looking on some products on alibaba and it seems like the only way to get the price is to contact the supplier? This is very time consuming? Would be better to se the price on the first site? Or am i doing something wrong here?

Is fob price the cost per piece without shipping?

Another problem im having is when i find i intresting product on ebay and want to find it on alibaba its impossible to find the exact same product? And when i find a product on alibaba and want to se how much it sells for on ebay its impossible cause i get like 3000 hits on the words i search for

Last edited:

s168

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 12, 2011
London, UK
i have been looking on some products on alibaba and it seems like the only way to get the price is to contact the supplier? This is very time consuming? Would be better to se the price on the first site? Or am i doing something wrong here?

I have used mainly DHgate. They have prices based on how much you buy. It's also safer for newbies too as you pay the money to DHgate and they hold it on escrow until you receive your goods. Afterwards, you can always contact the supplier directly to negotiate better prices if you prefer to do business off DHgate as I'm sure they take a cut of some sort.

I've never used FOB prices as I don't order such huge volumes or large enough items. As I understand it, FOB prices are the prices of the goods including any delivery charges to get the product to the shipping port or freight location. The buyer is then fully responsible for the cost of shipping, insurance, duty and taxes, plus delivery costs from the arrival port to the final delivery destination (home or warehouse).

That is why I focus on lightweight, small sized, high value items. It cuts down the percentage that the above costs take up from total item cost.

And yes, it does take time and can be hours and hours of work before you find something worthwhile. But if you want to have it easy, then this business and probably other business options aren't for you. It's called barrier to entry! :)

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
hmm.. all this talk about ports and shit... I could spit and hit the savannah ports from where I am. makes me think...

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
I have used mainly DHgate. They have prices based on how much you buy. It's also safer for newbies too as you pay the money to DHgate and they hold it on escrow until you receive your goods. Afterwards, you can always contact the supplier directly to negotiate better prices if you prefer to do business off DHgate as I'm sure they take a cut of some sort.

I've never used FOB prices as I don't order such huge volumes or large enough items. As I understand it, FOB prices are the prices of the goods including any delivery charges to get the product to the shipping port or freight location. The buyer is then fully responsible for the cost of shipping, insurance, duty and taxes, plus delivery costs from the arrival port to the final delivery destination (home or warehouse).

That is why I focus on lightweight, small sized, high value items. It cuts down the percentage that the above costs take up from total item cost.

And yes, it does take time and can be hours and hours of work before you find something worthwhile. But if you want to have it easy, then this business and probably other business options aren't for you. It's called barrier to entry! :)

thanks for your reply, i dont mind that its hard :) Im just looking for ways to do it right from the start. Cause it takes alot of time to have to contact every supplier for the price just that. Before even knowing if the product is worthwhile.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011

Another problem im having is when i find i intresting product on ebay and want to find it on alibaba its impossible to find the exact same product? And when i find a product on alibaba and want to se how much it sells for on ebay its impossible cause i get like 3000 hits on the words i search for
@mosdef, sellers usually don't put exact prices because that is a negotiable factor. It all depends on the quantity you order, how much product you are able to move, your relationship with the supplier, where the items are being shipped, etc. Generally sellers will start with ridiculously high prices, but if you quote several suppliers, you quickly determine who is worth working with. Sellers with a good response rate, friendly associates, and willingness to negotiate are usually keepers.

Also, if you are looking to test very small sample orders with little profit, just to see the demand, try aliexpress.com. The prices listed there are per item and usually have free shipping.

s168

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 12, 2011
London, UK
thanks for your reply, i dont mind that its hard :) Im just looking for ways to do it right from the start. Cause it takes alot of time to have to contact every supplier for the price just that. Before even knowing if the product is worthwhile.

The one thing I would say that is important above all else, is the market demand. So, in my view you're thinking about this the wrong way. The process outline is simple:
- Assess market demand vs competition to find items that have a good chance of selling for you.
- Order samples and list on marketplaces. I would generally order no more than 20-100 depending on the order value and my estimate of probability of selling them all relatively quickly.
- Track sales figures per week / per month average. Determine net profit being made.
- Decide whether (a) this is something you want to continue to sell and (b) see if you can negotiate lower prices on the back of promised recurring orders or a large next order.

No point in negotiating hard for good prices for products that you can't sell.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014

Yeah Alibaba is very annoying in not having prices on a majority of their items. I prefer dhgate, aliexpress, or Alibaba wholesale. All of those have the prices listed included shipping. It makes it far easier to look through a lot of items quickly.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Just got back from taking my daughter to the park for a picnic and feeding the ducks. The rewards for working this business are a lot more than just money!

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
Trying to decide best way to pay on Aliexpress?
I thought people mentioned it was all escrow, but I can't see that stated anywhere?
I see they have several options including credit cards bank transfer and Alipay, in which you transfer funds from your bank to.
Does it matter how I pay - Will aliexpress basically hold it in escrow until I confirm all is good with delivery?
Thanks

Tyman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Apr 27, 2014
Trying to decide best way to pay on Aliexpress?
I thought people mentioned it was all escrow, but I can't see that stated anywhere?
I see they have several options including credit cards bank transfer and Alipay, in which you transfer funds from your bank to.
Does it matter how I pay - Will aliexpress basically hold it in escrow until I confirm all is good with delivery?
Thanks

Yea they hold the payment until you confirm that you received it. I just use my credit card so if something does go wrong and they won't give me my money, I can just go through my bank and get them to reverse it. Haven't had any problems yet though.

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
Yea they hold the payment until you confirm that you received it. I just use my credit card so if something does go wrong and they won't give me my money, I can just go through my bank and get them to reverse it. Haven't had any problems yet though.
Thank You.Was thinking of getting some pre paid credit cards and using them - Kind of a double protection.

crownbjj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Feb 18, 2014
Same here, just got my first product in from Aliexpress using my credit card:) everything went smooth.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
One thing I have learned while dealing with Chinese suppliers, EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE. The first price they tell you, whether for samples or normal product, can always be haggled down via email. Guy wanted to charge me 10 bucks per sample, I balked and he sent them for free. This wasn't the manufacturer either.

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
One more thing, I figured out a way to get to the manufacturer. Usually these merchants will send you a picture of the products packaging. On that packaging is usually the manufactures phone number and/or email and/or website. One supplier sent me a picture of my product in the packaging box, I zoomed in and google the chinese phone number and it lead me to the manufacturer's website.

You may still have to work to get the manufacturer to reply to you BUT you will at least know where the product originates.

crownbjj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Feb 18, 2014
Hi everyone, I have a question about shipping out stuff. All of my items are very small and lightweight, should I use poly mailer bag to ship it in? thx guys!

Dicky Dee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 25, 2014
Hi everyone, I have a question about shipping out stuff. All of my items are very small and lightweight, should I use poly mailer bag to ship it in? thx guys!

yes if it isnt fragile, then use the cheapest/lightest option to ship it to your customers, you will save a lot as you start to sell more especially if your not from the u.s. and from canada like i am where we get raped for shipping :(

crownbjj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Feb 18, 2014
Thanks you Dicky Dee:) I'll start looking for poly mailer envelopes on ebay.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Thanks you Dicky Dee:) I'll start looking for poly mailer envelopes on ebay.

I use priority mail padded flat rate envelope a lot. You can get them free from the USPS website and they will even ship them to your door for free. Shipping it costs $5.35 through paypal including a free tracking number.

Dicky Dee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 25, 2014
I use priority mail padded flat rate envelope a lot. You can get them free from the USPS website and they will even ship them to your door for free. Shipping it costs $5.35 through paypal including a free tracking number.

wow you guys have it good when it comes to shipping it in the states, just amazes me how big of a difference it is when you cross our borders.

for example the cheapest form of shipping to the states for us would be lettermail which is only for documents or cards ($5) anything your shipping thats not the size of a card or documents without tracking is about ($10 - $12) which i learned the hard way to never do because people will just scam you and say they didnt recieve the product knowing you dont have a tracking number, and to ship with tracking for say a 5x5x5 box with less then a 1lb in weight would be ($16-$22) ....thats not getting into international shipping yet either.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
how much do you pay for shipping? Ive mailed a few suppliers and they all say around 50 dollar to sweden. And about 5 pieces for 5 dollar each!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
That's about what I've been quoted. Negotiate ;)

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
wow you guys have it good when it comes to shipping it in the states, just amazes me how big of a difference it is when you cross our borders.

for example the cheapest form of shipping to the states for us would be lettermail which is only for documents or cards ($5) anything your shipping thats not the size of a card or documents without tracking is about ($10 - $12) which i learned the hard way to never do because people will just scam you and say they didnt recieve the product knowing you dont have a tracking number, and to ship with tracking for say a 5x5x5 box with less then a 1lb in weight would be ($16-$22) ....thats not getting into international shipping yet either.

where are you located?

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
Everything is open for negotiation ;) I have negoiated both one or neither. Just have to communicate. ;)

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
i found a product. Sells for 11 dollar on dhgate, and selling for 18 dollars on ebay. There are many sellers selling similiar products but only a few selling exactly the product i found.

Opinions on this one? Maybe im able to get it cheaper fron alibaba? Alibaba seems cheaper generally. But dhgate offers free shipping.

s168

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 12, 2011
London, UK
i found a product. Sells for 11 dollar on dhgate, and selling for 18 dollars on ebay. There are many sellers selling similiar products but only a few selling exactly the product i found.

Opinions on this one? Maybe im able to get it cheaper fron alibaba? Alibaba seems cheaper generally. But dhgate offers free shipping.

What's the sale volumes per week/month like for these similar products?

Also, there is no such thing as Free Shipping. You pay for that in increased unit costs. Unit costs per volume order is all that matters, if all else is the same (product quality, supplier service, etc.)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.