The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[AMA] Importing & wholesaling for resale on eBay.

Hardball

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
262%
May 5, 2014
Great advice over the past week on branding value, and eCommerce site building!

I recently placed a half dozen samples orders across a few different product categories... Without giving too much away, can you recommend any product categories as a focal point for a new business? Low defect rate, high margins, low competition? (although having all those factors present would make it TOO easy)!

$100 profit per sale for a specific product would be excellent, especially at the volume you've experienced (10-15 per month) - does this product have any sort of complex / electronic / moving parts that made you hesitant to take a risk on the product in the first place?

(This may already have been addressed through the previous "LLC" Q&A), but at what point did you become concerned about selling a product that might expose you to post-sale liability if something were to happen to the customer during use? Have you ever used a disclaimer in your listings (I imagine this would be a requirement when selling products related to paintball, or airsoft, or knives)?

I'm SURE I'm getting ahead of myself here... since I'm still at the sample stage... At what point do you think it's appropriate to open a separate bank account to avoid commingling assets?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Great advice over the past week on branding value, and eCommerce site building!

I recently placed a half dozen samples orders across a few different product categories... Without giving too much away, can you recommend any product categories as a focal point for a new business? Low defect rate, high margins, low competition? (although having all those factors present would make it TOO easy)!

$100 profit per sale for a specific product would be excellent, especially at the volume you've experienced (10-15 per month) - does this product have any sort of complex / electronic / moving parts that made you hesitant to take a risk on the product in the first place?

(This may already have been addressed through the previous "LLC" Q&A), but at what point did you become concerned about selling a product that might expose you to post-sale liability if something were to happen to the customer during use? Have you ever used a disclaimer in your listings (I imagine this would be a requirement when selling products related to paintball, or airsoft, or knives)?

I'm SURE I'm getting ahead of myself here... since I'm still at the sample stage... At what point do you think it's appropriate to open a separate bank account to avoid commingling assets?
1. I can't recommend a specific category without giving away specific products. I can say that finding products that are higher profit but less sales per month is the way I am starting to take my business. I sold some items over Christmas time that were blowing out the doors. I ordered about $15,000 more of the few different lines and sales have slowed to a crawl. Not a good feeling to have that much product sitting in my garage and slowly trickle selling. This is why I am trying to go to products that are always in demand no matter what time of the year.

2. The product that I am making $100+ on is a little technical. I test every item once I receive it (not too hard since it is 10-15 a month) to make sure that they are fully functional. I would not sell them without testing because of the technicality of the product line.

3. I don't sell dangerous items (guns, ammo, knives, etc) so I didn't worry about an LLC until recently. If selling those type of items I would definitely put a disclaimer and sell through an LLC.

4. I have always had a separate bank account that all the paypal/ electronic payments to into. It helps keep things separate and easier to track. I then transfer money from there to other accounts that products are purchased though and credit card is payed out of. I have one credit card that is used solely for purchases so I know how much I am spending on products throughout the month, year etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hardball

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
262%
May 5, 2014
1. I can't recommend a specific category without giving away specific products. I can say that finding products that are higher profit but less sales per month is the way I am starting to take my business. I sold some items over Christmas time that were blowing out the doors. I ordered about $15,000 more of the few different lines and sales have slowed to a crawl. Not a good feeling to have that much product sitting in my garage and slowly trickle selling. This is why I am trying to go to products that are always in demand no matter what time of the year.

2. The product that I am making $100+ on is a little technical. I test every item once I receive it (not too hard since it is 10-15 a month) to make sure that they are fully functional. I would not sell them without testing because of the technicality of the product line.

3. I don't sell dangerous items (guns, ammo, knives, etc) so I didn't worry about an LLC until recently. If selling those type of items I would definitely put a disclaimer and sell through an LLC.

4. I have always had a separate bank account that all the paypal/ electronic payments to into. It helps keep things separate and easier to track. I then transfer money from there to other accounts that products are purchased though and credit card is payed out of. I have one credit card that is used solely for purchases so I know how much I am spending on products throughout the month, year etc.

Outstanding advice, thank you!

Hardball

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
262%
May 5, 2014
Did you ever prepare any type of written business plan (when you started out, or as you began to scale)?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Did you ever prepare any type of written business plan (when you started out, or as you began to scale)?
Nope I never have lol. I have a book with what I paid for each item in it and I keep a daily log of how much profit I made that day. I then withdraw that amount from paypal (for eBay) each day. About once i week I will take out extra money from sales.

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
IN previous posts, you refered that you you sell essentially products that have few competition.

Do you have any strategies to find those products?

I come up with a list of products related to a certain category of" products, and then looking for them in Amazon, but it seems that they all have plenty of sellers already selling it.

My research was not extensive, but maybe im not using the right methods to do the proper research.

How many competitors can exist in average to consider a product with "few competitors"?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
IN previous posts, you refered that you you sell essentially products that have few competition.

Do you have any strategies to find those products?

I come up with a list of products related to a certain category of" products, and then looking for them in Amazon, but it seems that they all have plenty of sellers already selling it.

My research was not extensive, but maybe im not using the right methods to do the proper research.

How many competitors can exist in average to consider a product with "few competitors"?
The only strategy is time spent researching. I prefer products with less than 10 competitors but I am willing to enter markets with more if the margins are right. If the cheapest seller of that product has margins of 200%+ then I am willing to enter despite more competitors.

The main issue with lots of competitors is that all it takes is 3 or 4 stupid sellers and you margins go into the toilet. I have a product right now that the number of competitors keeps increasing and the margins keep dropping. I was making near 200% profit then over the last 6 month it dropped to doubling my money and right now the cheapest is selling at 50% margins. For a $10 purchase I am getting back $15 after fees and shipping. So I am only profiting $5 on that item. I am in the process of selling my remaining stock and moving on to another item.

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
If the cheapest seller of that product has margins of 200%+ then I am willing to enter despite more competitors.

Sorry if it is a dumb question, but how do you know the margins of your competitors? Did you see their products and then you search for them in the websites you mentioned on the thread (alibaba, aliexpress etc?) or there is another way?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Sorry if it is a dumb question, but how do you know the margins of your competitors? Did you see their products and then you search for them in the websites you mentioned on the thread (alibaba, aliexpress etc?) or there is another way?
What I was saying was if I am looking up a product to sell and I can purchase it for $20 and the cheapest person has it for sale for $60 then I am looking at tripling my money minus fees and shipping costs. That is good enough margins for me to do it even if there are more competitors.

Hardball

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
262%
May 5, 2014
Over the past few months, and across multiple product categories, I've generally noticed a higher margin with 3-day auction style eBay listings than with fixed price Buy-It-Now listings set for 7,10, or 30 days. In one case, I actually observed someone bid up an item from a starting price of $2.99 to a closing price of $35, when literally the week before I had the same item in a 3-day $25 Buy-It-Now listing that ended without a purchase. Timing?

Have you experienced anything similar? I know you're also using Amazon as a sales platform, but from your experience can you shed any light on why someone might prefer an auction over a fixed price listing?

Do you prefer fixed price listings when you're selling the same item in quantity?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Over the past few months, and across multiple product categories, I've generally noticed a higher margin with 3-day auction style eBay listings than with fixed price Buy-It-Now listings set for 7,10, or 30 days. In one case, I actually observed someone bid up an item from a starting price of $2.99 to a closing price of $35, when literally the week before I had the same item in a 3-day $25 Buy-It-Now listing that ended without a purchase. Timing?

Have you experienced anything similar? I know you're also using Amazon as a sales platform, but from your experience can you shed any light on why someone might prefer an auction over a fixed price listing?

Do you prefer fixed price listings when you're selling the same item in quantity?
I prefer using fixed price listing with a quantity simply for the convenience. I have also noticed the anomaly of auctions selling for higher than fixed price listings. I believe it is just because people get emotionally attached to a specific item they have bid on or they simply don't do any research before purchasing the item. I have had the same item end about 8 hours apart and one sells for above my fixed price listing and one sells below it. It honestly makes no sense but consumers can be very odd in their buying habits and strategies.
It also makes no sense why the same exact item on eBay and Amazon command different prices but it happens every single day!

Hardball

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
262%
May 5, 2014
I prefer using fixed price listing with a quantity simply for the convenience. I have also noticed the anomaly of auctions selling for higher than fixed price listings. I believe it is just because people get emotionally attached to a specific item they have bid on or they simply don't do any research before purchasing the item. I have had the same item end about 8 hours apart and one sells for above my fixed price listing and one sells below it. It honestly makes no sense but consumers can be very odd in their buying habits and strategies.
It also makes no sense why the same exact item on eBay and Amazon command different prices but it happens every single day!

Thanks! Great explanation - and with your previous advice, I'm narrowing my product research to a business-focused product in the $40-$50 wholesale range - I've got a product in mind right now that's a bit larger than I'd normally be comfortable shipping, and it will involve some personal testing, but hopefully I've targeted the right product at the right time.

You've mentioned in previous posts that electronics should be avoided (phones, tablets, etc.) - does this extend to ANY product with electrical components (for example, gaming headphones or an external USB drive)? Or is it generally a best practice to avoid anything that relies on any sort software component / operating system / GUI?

Last edited:

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
Thanks! Great explanation - and with your previous advice, I narrowing my product research to a business-focused product in the $40-$50 wholesale range - I've got a product in mind right now that's a bit larger than I'd normally be comfortable shipping, and it will involve some personal testing, but hopefully I've targeted the right product at the right time.

You've mentioned in previous posts that electronics should be avoided (phones, tablets, etc.) - does this extend to ANY product with electrical components (for example, gaming headphones or an external USB drive)? Or is it generally a best practice to avoid anything that relies on any sort software component / operating system / GUI?

I actually had this same question.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Thanks! Great explanation - and with your previous advice, I'm narrowing my product research to a business-focused product in the $40-$50 wholesale range - I've got a product in mind right now that's a bit larger than I'd normally be comfortable shipping, and it will involve some personal testing, but hopefully I've targeted the right product at the right time.

There is nothing inherently wrong with selling things with electrical components there is just a lot of scammers in phones, tablets, computers, etc. I actually looked into doing external hard drives but they were selling for such a cheap price the margins weren't there unless ordering thousands at a time.

Hardball

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
262%
May 5, 2014
Thanks! Great tip - I've been in the process of updating all my branding tonight - nothing product based, but I'm hoping to be prepared if/when I'm able to scale and begin advertising by setting up a good logo, Facebook page, Twitter, and a website. Domains are cheap these days!

Already had my company name picked out awhile ago - I hope it's catchy :p

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
Ahhhhhh! Hit a bump but only a small one. I got all my listings up on eBay and decided to put them up on Amazon but I don't have a UPC number for them. There's none on the box and the seller doesn't have one either. Not to worry though, someone on fiverr can create a unique unused code, appears to deliver within a day. I'll get back to you and let you know if it's legitimate or not.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
Ahhhhhh! Hit a bump but only a small one. I got all my listings up on eBay and decided to put them up on Amazon but I don't have a UPC number for them. There's none on the box and the seller doesn't have one either. Not to worry though, someone on fiverr can create a unique unused code, appears to deliver within a day. I'll get back to you and let you know if it's legitimate or not.
Don't pay anyone on Fiver to "create" codes for you. I got mine from cheap-upc-barcode.com and a few other members have as well.

JustinBoshans

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 14, 2013
Don't pay anyone on Fiver to "create" codes for you. I got mine from cheap-upc-barcode.com and a few other members have as well.

Dang, I took a quick look on google to see what I could find and didn't see that. Thanks for the link!

Norskbear

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 3, 2014
Ecom man, how did you do as far as revenue each year you've been in business? Did you double your revenue each year? Triple? Or was there just one moment where you're sales just shot up?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Ecom man, how did you do as far as revenue each year you've been in business? Did you double your revenue each year? Triple? Or was there just one moment where you're sales just shot up?
My sales shot up when I started doing it full time around August 2013. Up until that point I was just selling things here or there and not really treating it like a business. In August I quit my job and started working on it full time. I am not even at my first full year of running it as a business so I cant really say what my revenue will do.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Just wanted to give a hint/idea to everyone needing some quick cash. Craigslist can be your best friend.
I got a two couch set for free a couple weeks ago and resold it today for $350! All I did to it was give it a quick vacuum! It was in perfect condition just the people didn't want/need it anymore. There are ways all around us to make some extra money through importing or other quick ways as well.

Stephanos83

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Just wanted to give a hint/idea to everyone needing some quick cash. Craigslist can be your best friend.
I got a two couch set for free a couple weeks ago and resold it today for $350! All I did to it was give it a quick vacuum! It was in perfect condition just the people didn't want/need it anymore. There are ways all around us to make some extra money through importing or other quick ways as well.

Totally agree! You can also check out thrift shops. I have one I go to on a military base and you can get quality items for really cheap, especially since there's a lot of soldiers out there changing station that don't sell their things ahead of time.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
The main issue with lots of competitors is that all it takes is 3 or 4 stupid sellers and you margins go into the toilet.
It's amazing how some people ruin it for the rest....

Just wanted to say thank you for a really A+ helpful no-BS thread.

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
It's amazing how some people ruin it for the rest....

I'm running into this over and over again. I've looked at over fifty potential products in the last couple of weeks, and there is so little money to be made because of the influx of idiots. After Shipping, Paypal and Ebay fees, there's nothing left when trying to compete on price. I'm still trying to figure out how some of these people are making any money at all.

I've grown very frustrated and bored with the process in the last week ...

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
'm still trying to figure out how some of these people are making any money at all.
i think they make it up on volume. (LOL!) I think they don't - like MLM, most are losers. (coming from a guy who did drop shipping, etc. in the past.)

I've grown very frustrated and bored with the process in the last week ..
not to be trite, but - "if it was easy..."

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
i think they make it up on volume. (LOL!) I think they don't - like MLM, most are losers. (coming from a guy who did drop shipping, etc. in the past.)

not to be trite, but - "if it was easy..."
I agree it is pushing through the process of finding products that is the hard part. Once you find products that don't have idiots in them you can be set for months or years. I have sold some of the same product lines for the entire time I have been selling (3+ years). It's finding those reliable products that really make it a potential gold mine.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Totally agree! You can also check out thrift shops. I have one I go to on a military base and you can get quality items for really cheap, especially since there's a lot of soldiers out there changing station that don't sell their things ahead of time.
Great idea using a local thrift shop as your supplier! The thrift shops near me never have anything worthwhile but if yours do that's awesome!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.