The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[AMA] Importing & wholesaling for resale on eBay.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Interesting. Your quote was on April 21, 2014. Now there are 16 U.S. listings...101 total including Foreign.
That is why you don't put on an open forum what items you are selling. 16 sellers will drive the prices through the floor on an already cheap item.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Lots of value in this thread.

Thanks Ecom Man.

Last edited:

MendeGames

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 26, 2014
Hickory, North Carolina
SYou have talked about the importance of starting your website in the beginning, what is the purpose of your website? Is it an e commerce website or do you merely promote your products on ebay and amazon or what?

Last edited:

SeanyHang

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
May 24, 2013
New Jersey
Sorry if you have already answered this but there are 50 pages of questions and I don't feel like reading through all of them.
OOOF! I highly suggest you delete your comment and ask again without saying you "don't feel like" searching for information that would be beneficial to you, before you end up drowning in chum filled water full of sharks who are going to rip you to pieces for being lazy.

I'm sure you didn't mean it to come off that way.. But I've seen people get eaten alive for less. Try using the search bar on the right side of the site.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
Hey guys I was reading the thread about a month or 2 ago got through the whole thing and got around to buying my first item. It is a safety item used in a niche/sport that I participate in. I was looking stuff up on ebay and saw that there were only 70 results for them and decent sales. I put up my listing on November 7th and to date I have sold 43 of them! The margin is only between $3-6 but it's a great start I think. Looking to find a few more products now. Thank you everyone for the information.

Question though. I believe that I read that November and December are the highest volume months. I can already see as my sales have picked up in the last few days. Now how much of a drop off in sales should I expect in January/February? Thanks again.

How does it feel now that you made some sales? :woot:

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
SYou have talked about the importance of starting your website in the beginning, what is the purpose of your website? Is it an e commerce website or do you merely promote your products on ebay and amazon or what?
The purpose of your own website really comes down to control. You can't control if eBay or Amazon raise fees and squeeze your margins. You honestly can't control if eBay/ Amazon changes their rules for selling and kick all smaller sellers off! If you have your own website that you are getting your own sales through margins will be higher (no selling fees) and far more control of your destiny.

MendeGames

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 26, 2014
Hickory, North Carolina
The purpose of your own website really comes down to control. You can't control if eBay or Amazon raise fees and squeeze your margins. You honestly can't control if eBay/ Amazon changes their rules for selling and kick all smaller sellers off! If you have your own website that you are getting your own sales through margins will be higher (no selling fees) and far more control of your destiny.
SO you d sell your own products on your website, as well as on Ebay/Amazon?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
SO you d sell your own products on your website, as well as on Ebay/Amazon?
Correct, it is best not to have all your sales on just one channel. (eBay, Amazon, etc.)

Achilles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 2, 2014
How exactly do you go about differentiating your products from your competition? Is it a little as putting a sticker or logo on the item? whatsthe most efficient way to brand your product? Thnx

NYCGoblin

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 14, 2014
New York
How does it feel now that you made some sales? :woot:
It builds confidence. I have now sold about 110 of my product. I now feel like I can really sell anything. It's also nice to have capital from the business that now makes it risk free. I am the top seller for the product now, and after my next shipment I will be able to buy a larger order at a better price and reel in a few other sales that I feel I am losing out on.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
It builds confidence. I have now sold about 110 of my product. I now feel like I can really sell anything. It's also nice to have capital from the business that now makes it risk free. I am the top seller for the product now, and after my next shipment I will be able to buy a larger order at a better price and reel in a few other sales that I feel I am losing out on.
Well I ended the month of Dec with $90,000 in sales which is $10,000 short of what I was hoping. Considering last December I did 25k I guess 90k isn't too bad. Goal next December is 250k. We will see what happens.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
guys i have 3 listings im trying to sell on ebay but i cant all my objects, i can only find one of them. When on my selling profile but when i log view my listing and click on other items i cant find my other two?

carburated

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2014
Well I ended the month of Dec with $90,000 in sales which is $10,000 short of what I was hoping. Considering last December I did 25k I guess 90k isn't too bad. Goal next December is 250k. We will see what happens.
Ecom man, question:
What approximate percentage of those $90,000 is profit?
Is it 50%ish percent?

Just wondering.

I am using $20 per unit as my metric to sell on eBay.
If I profit under $20 per unit, I pass up.

This is after buying, shipping to my location, eBay+PayPal fees, and shipping to my customer.
I look for 20$ in the bank after all that is said and done.

What do you think?

aa610

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 5, 2015
Massachusetts
guys i have 3 listings im trying to sell on ebay but i cant all my objects, i can only find one of them. When on my selling profile but when i log view my listing and click on other items i cant find my other two?

maybe the listings ended? go to unsold (left hand of the page if you're viewing ebay from desktop computer)

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
has anyone done this in the smaller countries in europe and get it working?

I try to sell my product on ebay.co.uk but since i have to pay about 8 dollars in shipping even to uk from sweden, buyers will always choose to buy from from someone in uk with freeshipping, thus saving 8 dollars. How to deal with this?

carburated

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2014
since i have to pay about 8 dollars in shipping even to uk from sweden, buyers will always choose to buy from from someone in uk with freeshipping, thus saving 8 dollars. How to deal with this?
Figure those $8 our in your profit/costs.

Count with the fact that $8.00 will go to shipping to your clients.

NYCGoblin

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 14, 2014
New York
I'm no
Ecom man, question:
Is it 50%ish percent?

Just wondering.

This is after buying, shipping to my location, eBay+PayPal fees, and shipping to my customer.

What do you think?
I'm not Econ man but I thought that I could chip in. I think it all depends on your finances. If you are looking to make big money & don't see the benefit of selling items for $5-15 because of time then I think it is fine. For me personally my 2 main items profit me $5-$15 & a third that I picked up is around the same range. I don't mind the volume though because I can reach my modest goals of income with just commuting around a hour a day to packaging.

NYCGoblin

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 14, 2014
New York
2-4 a day at the moment between my main two. I launched 2 new products a day which have the potential to be similar at a bit of a better margin. My goals (For now) are quite modest I think. I am looking to net 1,000 a month, which only averages out to $33 a day.

Last edited:

KONIG

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Oct 8, 2014
California
That isn't bad at all, nice! Ebay right? Do you have top rated seller status yet and if so, has that helped you a lot in being able to have your listing seen?

NYCGoblin

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 14, 2014
New York
That isn't bad at all, nice! Ebay right? Do you have top rated seller status yet and if so, has that helped you a lot in being able to have your listing seen?
Yeah not bad at all I first started on November 7th. Yes Ebay but I do sell one of the products on Amazon. Sold about 20 on their in a month and a half. Don't have top rated seller status yet but from what I see and know I should get that by the 20th of the month after my next account evaluation.

aa610

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 5, 2015
Massachusetts
Yeah not bad at all I first started on November 7th. Yes Ebay but I do sell one of the products on Amazon. Sold about 20 on their in a month and a half. Don't have top rated seller status yet but from what I see and know I should get that by the 20th of the month after my next account evaluation.

I hope it goes well for you!

Last edited:

kaqm

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 1, 2014
Have sales slowed for anyone after Christmas? I reorded a sample because it sold out last month, sold none since I got more stock. I don't have any promotions on though. Just wondering what peoples' experiences usually are in January?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Ecom man, question:
Is it 50%ish percent?

Just wondering.

What do you think?
Sorry about the delay in responding. I've been traveling with family and preparing for the new year.
It was about 38% profit on that 90k. I too try for $20+ per item profit but right now most of my items are in between $10 and $20 profit per sale. It was higher over Christmas but has normalized since then.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
has anyone done this in the smaller countries in europe and get it working?

I try to sell my product on ebay.co.uk but since i have to pay about 8 dollars in shipping even to uk from sweden, buyers will always choose to buy from from someone in uk with freeshipping, thus saving 8 dollars. How to deal with this?
I agree with what carburated said. Figure in the extra $8 when deciding whether to buy the item or not. Advertise the free shipping and include it as your cost of doing business. I always do free shipping and it costs me $5.35 or $10.65 for each item i ship. Include the shipping costs in as part of your sale price.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Have sales slowed for anyone after Christmas? I reorded a sample because it sold out last month, sold none since I got more stock. I don't have any promotions on though. Just wondering what peoples' experiences usually are in January?
Sales do slow down in January. It is a part of retail. The reason why it is called Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) is because that is when retailers start making money for the year. (Go into the black) As an online seller I make profit all year long but November and December are absolutely killer! Every product is different but sales do drop off in January compared to December in almost every category.

NYCGoblin

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 14, 2014
New York
I just read up about the 1099-K form given out to sellers who broke 20,000 gross in a year on ebay. Can someone more experienced who had filled one of these out maybe give me a idea on how much % tax I will be looking at on my profits?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.