The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

AMA about Video Marketing

Marketing, social media, advertising

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
What's up ladies and germs.

I've been in video marketing for 7 years as a freelancer/consultant.
I've worked with huge companies (Cadillac, Showtime, Sears, New Balance, HP, Viacom, CBS)
and small companies alike. Even individual vloggers looking to expand their youtube audience.

So here's the deal.
I love talking about this stuff.
I love hearing about the hot topics, what people don't know, what people want to know, what's troubling you.

So ask away.
No consulting fee, no signing on the dotted line, no problem.

Let's talk about:

• Building Customer Relationships
  • Driving Sales/Conversions
  • Generating Leads
  • Promoting Affiliate Products
  • VideoSEO
  • Freelancing
  • Writing for Video
  • Editing
  • Motion Graphics
  • Video Workflow
  • Previous Work Experience

I'm a bit limited on what I'm allowed to say regarding specific work for specific companies, but I think I can manipulate my language enough to still help people without getting myself in trouble.

There are also some topic's I've studied but either haven't actually implemented or haven't implemented by myself (I wasn't the one buying the media for Caddy/Hummer, for instance. I know a lot about PPC video but haven't managed the PPC side of things myself, etc). For these topics I will speak to what I've studied from books or learned from people I worked with.

EDIT: I can also speak to video related projects that aren't necessarily "marketing". I've helped create video based ARGs, created and edited video products (for myself and for other people), I've shot/edited instructional workout videos, training videos for employees, orientation videos, weddings, put together interactive DVDs, edited indie theatrical trailers. Most the time for these sorts of projects I was 100% under control of the client (couldn't optimize the script, couldn't make major creative changes) but I still learned a lot and have experiences that might be helpful.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I have two questions-

1. Video marketing is a field where the difference between high quality professional work and amateur work is very obvious. Yet there's a low barrier to entry- anyone can throw together a promotional video. How did you transition to the "professional" side? College, self-taught, etc.?
  2. This is something you are really passionate about, so I'm sure you can probably make video marketing a viable option for anyone / any business. But, generally speaking, what instances is video marketing something that is NOT worth investing in? The least ROI if you will.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, I've always found AMA's to be one of the coolest opportunities the internet provides.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I have two questions-
Video marketing is a field where the difference between high quality professional work and amateur work is very obvious. Yet there's a low barrier to entry- anyone can throw together a promotional video. How did you transition to the "professional" side? College, self-taught, etc.?
I went to The New England Institute Of Art. Really great school. Less of a college, more of a tech school. All of the teachers were working in the field actively. Some were local news producers, some had documentaries in indie theaters, one was a producer for WGBH, one produced corporate videos.

My expertise was Motion Graphics and After Effects. I was really good at making things look pretty and sexy after other people shot it. I also had really good instincts as a producer. Was good with making things look good on video on the cheap, and making the tough decisions on what to cut.

I took to the streets and basically sold my services door to door. Did a few car spots for local dealerships, commercials for gyms and martial arts schools using equipment rented from the school.

I got a few glowing recommendations from a few teachers (despite me basically failing half the classes I was in... I learned what I had to learn and put it to use IRL, rather than in the classroom). The teacher reccomendation and connections got me a job working as a freelancer at an ad agency.. where I started working as part of the video team. When the lead editor moved to Cali, I WAS the video team. It was my boss the producer working the numbers, doing quotes, etc... and I did the creative work.

I used my connections from there to pick up freelance work (as well as developing my own methods for finding work.)

This is something you are really passionate about, so I'm sure you can probably make video marketing a viable option for anyone / any business. But, generally speaking, what instances is video marketing something that is NOT worth investing in? The least ROI if you will.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, I've always found AMA's to be one of the coolest opportunities the internet provides.
You're spot on. Video will work for anything :)

It's actually a really touch question because there are so many TYPES of video. I think when you're smaller you should approach video from the mindset of a Direct Marketer. Driving sales. Most people think of video marketing like they're going to create some fun web series that will get popular and ALSO drive profits. I think unless you've got a good 10K-20K and 6 months to play around with and lose comfortably you shouldn't mess around with that. If you're bootstrapping all your videos should be sales related and all related to a product.

When doing the web series fun stuff, it takes consistent quality released on a strict regular schedule to make and money off of it. It's actually like a more expensive form of blogging in that sense.

kyled427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jun 19, 2013
My question is simple,

Do you still make videos for others? Perhaps you have a website or something I could check out to learn about pricing, etc. for such a thing? Would be interested to know more and test it out with my start up when it is live, so if you could shoot me a link or something or a PM to discuss what the cost would be then I would definitely be interested.

Thanks

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
My question is simple,
Do you still make videos for others? Perhaps you have a website or something I could check out to learn about pricing, etc. for such a thing? Would be interested to know more and test it out with my start up when it is live, so if you could shoot me a link or something or a PM to discuss what the cost would be then I would definitely be interested.

Thanks

As always, cost of any video production is dependent on exactly what you want to do. Many times I'll talk to customers who think video's a good idea, but they don't know what they want, or why they want it. Feel free to email me what you're thinking of and we can move forward from there.

One thing I'm really strict on is SHARP targeting of demographic. Nearly 100% of my video decisions are based off of your target demographic so I need you to know who is it you're targeting and what it is you're looking for.

This is a hotlink to a PDF form I created for working with video people. You should be able to answer everything outlined in that form. Get it all worked out in your own head before-hand.
http://www.castleforgemedia.com/files/VideoProductionWorksheet.pdf

Send me a PM with the type of work you're thinking of and I'd be happy to take a look and quote you.
I'll be taking freelance work until my fastlane road is full throttle.

beatybeaty

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 9, 2013
Hi DennisDuty,

I'm in the process of starting up some video production services. I'm looking at offering everything from promotional video (PR-style), training, to product videos, and more.

How would you recommend getting those first few clients?

Thanks.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Hi DennisDuty,

I'm in the process of starting up some video production services. I'm looking at offering everything from promotional video (PR-style), training, to product videos, and more.

How would you recommend getting those first few clients?

Thanks.

Really depends on who you're targeting. Your first few clients will probably be random. I suggest taking any work that you happen upon.
Believe me, nobody's a bigger fan of direct customer targeting than me... but that's a luxury reserved for people that already have work coming in. If you're offered a gig to do a wedding, take it. If you're offered a gig to do a commercial? Training video? Viral video? Take them all and over deliver.

Few ways to get clients:
#1) Do free work or discounted work for somebody. After you do good, shoot a video testimonial. Find others in the community and industry. Likely, they all know each other. their friend will be raving about your service on camera.

If you do this, don't apply to paid gigs and say that you'll do it for free. Post an ad to craiglist, or your local paper saying that you're looking to do some work pro-bono. Let them come to you.. so you can pick and choose who you work for and what works best for your eventual direction.

#2) When got my first AAA high-paying corporate client I used this trick:
I used linked-in to locate the person I suspected would be in charge of hiring me. I then called, (I was a student at the time) and I set up an interview with them to talk about media for a class assignment. I knew my reel was good, so I handed it off to them after the meeting. I knew it was broadcast quality, and we immediately started talking about my prices, what I charged, etc.

#3) Just recently, (I made a thread about it) I was applying for a Job as a media director at a company. That ended in a freelance gig. I interviewed for a job to do SEO and social media for a car dealership, that ended in a freelance gig as well. It's funny how many times mme "giving in" and deciding to take a job, landed me extended freelance work. Just keep plugging away until you have the chops so people ask YOU to do work for them.

#4) Join a business bureau, Lyons Club, etc. Donate your services to them. Promote an event, or give a presentation, or use it to help raise money for something. Don't upsell, just let people know what you do with a 2 second thing at the end. They'll notice. You'll get tons of work. Just make sure to have your prices ready. nobody likes asking for a quote... have 3 or 4 tiers ready to point them to depending on the client.

It all really depends on your specific situation. But I hope that helped somewhat!

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
How does Video SEO differ from regular Text SEO?
Thanks for your answer, Dennis.

I could talk for hours about this (and have). I'll summarize:

Web pages are considered "resources" by search engines.
Video is considered "entertainment" and the algorithms are slightly different.

Web pages build slow, and steady links from authorities
Videos go viral with a crazy amount of links all coming in at once from everybody and their brother.

Web pages are 100% text based
Videos don't have text so Title, Description, Tags, and Captions hold a very high significance.

Web pages are meant to age like wine.
New Videos can rank very quickly.

If you want more detail,
I created an entire course on VSEO here: Video SEO: The Internet’s Most Comprehensive (and free) Video SEO Course (It's free, no catch).
I don't recommend putting that in a bookmark and saving it until later.
I've been thinking about taking all of it down and selling it as a premium paid course instead so you might as well see it while it's still free.

Stef_h

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 30, 2013
CA
Hi Dennis!
Thank you for taking the time to answer questions. It's so great to hear from a person who is in video marketing.

I am a freelance motion graphics animator and have recently been interested in the marketing world and the fastlane. I used to have that mindset where I wanted to do the kind of quality work that companies like Blur or The Mill create.
After freelancing for a few companies, I've finally realized that it's not all about the pretty design and animation. It's about content and being able to explain things clearly by using design and animation. There's gotta be a reason why those "as seen on tv" ads are still working!
I mostly do animations that only employees of the company would see (is there a term for that?)
I have been asked to do marketing videos from scratch including writing the script, however, I've had to decline since I haven't had the experience for creating one (or not really confident in creating one). I would feel really bad charging someone and not be able to guarantee some kind of ROI for it.

What's the basic flow of the video when you're marketing a product? Like problem, exaggerated problem, solution, call to action?
Is there a specific time that you recommend the video to last?

I've also been interested in affiliate marketing. So would I make a video about the product and let people know that it's an affiliate link in the call to action?
I haven't looked very deep into affiliate marketing, so I'm not sure if I'm asking the right questions.

Thanks again for your time! Oh and I bought your Mind Control handbook. Can't wait to dive into that!

Edit:
forgot one more question!

What do you do and how do you get paid for consulting in video?

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Hi Dennis!
Thank you for taking the time to answer questions. It's so great to hear from a person who is in video marketing.

I am a freelance motion graphics animator and have recently been interested in the marketing world and the fastlane. I used to have that mindset where I wanted to do the kind of quality work that companies like Blur or The Mill create.
After freelancing for a few companies, I've finally realized that it's not all about the pretty design and animation. It's about content and being able to explain things clearly by using design and animation. There's gotta be a reason why those "as seen on tv" ads are still working!
I mostly do animations that only employees of the company would see (is there a term for that?)

I thought the same way for a while, as motion graphics was my 'secret weapon'. The beginning of my career was filled with many arguments on art direction. I wanted to go 'all-out' because I knew I could, cheaply. I wanted flashiness for the sake of flashiness, and everytime I saw a TV commercial with clearly bad VFX or Mo-Graphics I chuckled and said how I could do a much better job in 20 minutes. I didn't understand things like customer targeting, etc.

With each mistake I made, I learned. You can spend 1 year preparing, launch something, and then fail. OR you could just jump in, say yes to everything, make mistakes, and learn from it. The 'jump in' method won't necessarily give you the best reputation, but it's the fastest way to learn and grow. The guy who waited a year will still be a newbie. The guy who jumped in will be a seasoned expert.

I'd call any video to be shown to employees an "In-House" video. May not be accurate, but if you say it in a conversation people get the idea.
I have been asked to do marketing videos from scratch including writing the script, however, I've had to decline since I haven't had the experience for creating one (or not really confident in creating one). I would feel really bad charging someone and not be able to guarantee some kind of ROI for it.

What's the basic flow of the video when you're marketing a product? Like problem, exaggerated problem, solution, call to action?
Is there a specific time that you recommend the video to last?

I thought about this for a LONG time which is why I didn't respond right away.

I feel what you're feeling. There's not a lot of resources out there for someone learning to tie marketing into video.
The resources that ARE out there are hype-marketers trying to capitalize in a void. There's no real AUTHORITIES.

It's really going to differ depending on each client/video/product.
There are only 3 guidelines I regularly follow:
-I usually start with a story/hook. Something that makes them interested, keeps them watching, makes them want to see more. It doesn't need to be clever. If you're selling criminal defense services the offer starting directly with "You will go to jail if you don't act now" is VERY compelling for the target audience. Remember, you're not targeting everybody. If somebody's not your client, you don't care if they find your ad compelling. The story should also explain, relate, or set up a problem.
-Solution: Very quick introduction of your product/service and what it does. Don't spend too much time here, it only inflates your ego and makes customers drop off.
-Results/Gaining Trust: This is the part that should get the most attention. Powerful visuals that give the viewer proof that you're good for them. Tattoo removal, scar removal, remodeling, plastic surgeon, fitness services should be showing before/afters. Authority figures should be giving testimonials, credentials, or prior experience.
-Strong Call To Action.

My best advice to you is to read as many copywriting books as you can by the experts. Wrap your head around it, really understand it. My process involves spending a lot of time writing killer copy, and then 'translating it' to video. Rewording things to be punchier, snappier, and easier to say verbally. Rework your entire sales copy into soundbites.

I've also been interested in affiliate marketing. So would I make a video about the product and let people know that it's an affiliate link in the call to action?
I haven't looked very deep into affiliate marketing, so I'm not sure if I'm asking the right questions.

First learn the scripting/copywriting. Early in my career I always worked with a copywriter provided by the agency/company I was working with. When I first tried to sell my OWN products (no help from copywriters, no help from art directors, no help from anybody) it was underwhelming. I focused too much on making it look cool and flashy, but it wasn't compelling enough to actually make many sales. I broke even on all accounts.

I initially used motion graphics to display the product in a cool 3d environment, and then I'd have cool titles and transitions and zooms and swipes and arrows and particles... but nobody cared. The style of the video didn't fit the product. It'd have sold more copies with a jpeg product shot and me just talking about how much I loved the product.

#1) Learn how to write a script.
#2) Make the style of the video fit the script. If it's high end, use higher end graphics. But if it's a cheap $10 product and you're using 3d spins+particle effects your customers will think it's a scam. "Why would somebody put hollywood level effects into a video that only makes them $10? There must be a subscription or upsell or blahblahblah".
#3) I suggest putting out your video in a week. Honestly. Sign up as an affiliate for a product, write a script, and put it out there in 7 days. It's free to post to youtube. You'll only get better by doing it.

Thanks again for your time! Oh and I bought your Mind Control handbook. Can't wait to dive into that!
Very cool! You have no idea how happy this makes me. Let me know what you think. Pay special attention to the first part about targeting your Paper Doll before I share any 'tricks'. Honestly, that's the only part that matters. If you read that part, and apply it actively to all your products/videos/offers/whatever you'll be very successful in any business. The other 10 'tricks' I do use, but honestly they mean nothing if you don't create your Paper Doll first.

PS: I finished recording an Audio Book version and I'm putting final touches on it. I'm packaging it with the product for free... so you should be receiving an email in the next few days with information on how to download it for free :) I figure people would appreciate having another way to consume the product.. rather than just letting it sit on the virtual shelf and let it slowly decay.

Edit:
forgot one more question!

What do you do and how do you get paid for consulting in video?

Depends. Sometimes 'consulting' means producing videos... so going out and assembling the right team, telling them what to do, and overseeing it. Other times it means checking out a video that's not converting and leaving a list of changes for them to make to it. Other times it means figuring out who in an existing team isn't doing their fair share or is being overpayed. The people typically hire me don't know a lot about video, and they feel threatened by their team who DOES know video. They need somebody to talk to the camera guy, the audio guy, the mograph guy, etc. and feel them out, see if what they're doing takes as much time/money as they say it does.

I usually work remotely. I'd probably have a lot more clients and could charge a lot more money if I didn't... it's just a personal choice I made. (sidenote, whenever I deal with AAA clients, it's never remotely. There's always at least a week of working with a team in PERSON. It's a lot more efficient that way).

Stef_h

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 30, 2013
CA
SPEED+ to you! Thank you so much for such thorough answers! I really appreciate it!

It's really going to differ depending on each client/video/product.
There are only 3 guidelines I regularly follow:
-I usually start with a story/hook. Something that makes them interested, keeps them watching, makes them want to see more. It doesn't need to be clever. If you're selling criminal defense services the offer starting directly with "You will go to jail if you don't act now" is VERY compelling for the target audience. Remember, you're not targeting everybody. If somebody's not your client, you don't care if they find your ad compelling. The story should also explain, relate, or set up a problem.
-Solution: Very quick introduction of your product/service and what it does. Don't spend too much time here, it only inflates your ego and makes customers drop off.
-Results/Gaining Trust: This is the part that should get the most attention. Powerful visuals that give the viewer proof that you're good for them. Tattoo removal, scar removal, remodeling, plastic surgeon, fitness services should be showing before/afters. Authority figures should be giving testimonials, credentials, or prior experience.
-Strong Call To Action.

Super valuable advice! I would have never thought of keeping the Solution quick. Actually, I think I lumped in Results with the solution. Great to know!

#1) Learn how to write a script.
#2) Make the style of the video fit the script. If it's high end, use higher end graphics. But if it's a cheap $10 product and you're using 3d spins+particle effects your customers will think it's a scam. "Why would somebody put hollywood level effects into a video that only makes them $10? There must be a subscription or upsell or blahblahblah".
#3) I suggest putting out your video in a week. Honestly. Sign up as an affiliate for a product, write a script, and put it out there in 7 days. It's free to post to youtube. You'll only get better by doing it.

Wow! I did not think of that! Great idea. I will definitely test it out.
And I'm looking for products I'd be interested in doing a vid for tonight.

I finished recording an Audio Book version and I'm putting final touches on it. I'm packaging it with the product for free... so you should be receiving an email in the next few days with information on how to download it for free I figure people would appreciate having another way to consume the product.. rather than just letting it sit on the virtual shelf and let it slowly decay.

Awesome! can't wait!!

I've chosen to work remotely too. I jumped off the "job stability" mindset into freelancer last year. Now I'm kicking myself into entrepreneur mindset!

Thanks again!

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
I recently bought a video camera and I'm waiting to get the rest of my samples from the international mail.

All in all, I plan to make a marketing video to upload via YouTube by telling a story featuring my product. And I'm hoping that it will become viral because I've been reading this book "Contagious" written by Jonas Berger on how to make viral content and I've gotten quite a bit from it. Your courses have gave me some ideas as well. So, thank you for putting them out there.

Basically, my plan is this: Viral Marketing Video --> Mailing List --> Crowdfunding

I do have one question: what's a decent program for "dummies" to edit videos with?

Thanks.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I recently bought a video camera and I'm waiting to get the rest of my samples from the international mail.

All in all, I plan to make a marketing video to upload via YouTube by telling a story featuring my product. And I'm hoping that it will become viral because I've been reading this book "Contagious" written by Jonas Berger on how to make viral content and I've gotten quite a bit from it. Your courses have gave me some ideas as well. So, thank you for putting them out there.

Basically, my plan is this: Viral Marketing Video --> Mailing List --> Crowdfunding

I do have one question: what's a decent program for "dummies" to edit videos with?

Thanks.

Make sure you're prepared to keep pumping out videos until one is contagious. In college I had a client who paid $1K to shoot a video he was hoping to go viral. They sunk the last of their savings into the video. It was a storm-trooper movie review show. They thought it would catch on and save them financially.

They launched and view count was around 35 views total. Then the video suddenly came down. Even if you don't get the results you're looking for with a video, leave it up, and make another one. and another one. and another one. Many viral successes have a long road unseen to anybody 'out of the know'. Be prepared for the long haul.

For a video editor, my #1 suggestion ALWAYS is : Adobe Premiere Elements 10 or 11.

It's the perfect transitional editor to learn on. At first glance, it looks like an advanced versions of windows movie maker or imovie. However, there's an 'advanced' view which turns it into a very powerful nonlinear editor with almost all the options of the professional version.

(Note: I haven't actually used it. I use adobe premiere PRO, I don't typically used beginner/intermediate software. I based this recommendation off Premiere elements tutorials I've seen for the product. It would suit 95% of MY needs as an editor, but is still very intuitive and user friendly)

Stay away from windows movie maker or imovie. Yes they're free and come with your PC, but you can get a copy of Premiere Elements 10 for like $50 and it's totally worth it.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
In another thread I was asked a question.
I didn't want to take over the thread so I'm answering it here.

If you were going to spring for something in between a gaming headset and a $600 studio mic voiceover and video recording, what would you recommend? I was considering picking up a decent lav mic and a Zoom. (or maybe just recording directly to the computer with a lav, though that sort of limits mobility)

And as long as I'm asking, any thoughts on the best value setup for recording video? (live courses/presentations/etc.)

Spring for a Blue Yeti Microphone. Costs around $100 bucks and it'll be the best microphone you've ever purchased.
I've used a Zoom H2 for a while, and I hate it.

To get the highest quality videos with the least amount of money I'd use still photographs (slightly moving. a 10% zoom over 5 seconds looks pro) combined with a compelling voice over recorded from a good sounding mic. I JUST released a free ebook this morning you might be interested in:
VideoProductionOnTheCheapOptIn2.jpg
I don't want to post the direct download link publicly so either
1) There's an Opt-In form here: http://eepurl.com/yDYJL
(I'm not here to get opt-ins. You can immediately unsubscribe if you want) or
2) PM me and I'll send you the link privately (same goes to anybody that wants it.)

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Thanks and subbed! In addition to voice-over and video capture, I was also concerned about the ability to film and record people speaking, like in a lecture or an interview. So I was a bit worried about large/stationary mics getting in the way. I was considering combining the zoom+lav mic with something like a Sony DSC-RX100M II for a highly portable, cover-all-the-bases audio/video/picture package. Am I just going entirely in the wrong direction?

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Thanks and subbed! In addition to voice-over and video capture, I was also concerned about the ability to film and record people speaking, like in a lecture or an interview. So I was a bit worried about large/stationary mics getting in the way. I was considering combining the zoom+lav mic with something like a Sony DSC-RX100M II for a highly portable, cover-all-the-bases audio/video/picture package. Am I just going entirely in the wrong direction?

Ah, I didn't understand the situation you were in.
I guess it really depends on how 'pro' you wanted to go.

Yeah I like your idea of using the Sony. It can be made to work as long as you're sure to bring a sturdy tripod with you. Even if you're on the move with it, still bring a tripod but close the legs to turn it into a monopod so you still have SOME stability.

How formal are these live events? do you have 100% control over the situation? It's tough to say without knowing all the details.

If the people are using a mic anyways, first thing you should try is see if you can steal a feed directly from the soundboard they're using for the PA system. Getting your own mixer would probably be too expensive so look into getting a nice set of adapters and cords (XLR-1/4", 1/4"-1/8"). You can plug the feed directly into your mic port of your laptop to record the audio... and use FCP or premiere to record the audio live. (do a dry-run first, I've noticed some versions of premiere having trouble recording more than 10 mins at a time).

I've also experimented with taping a lav directly to an amp at the event and playing with the levels until they didn't peak. Came out pretty good (we were livestreaming). That might also be an option.

For formal studio interviews I've hired a boom operator to follow the mouth of the person being interviewed. They had a portable audio mixer strapped to them with headphones, so they were always hearing the sound live. We fed this directly into camera via XLR, but I suppose you could always record to harddrive and record later.

The talent sometimes feels uncomfortable and doesn't relax with a boom operator so in cases like this you can always attach the boom pole to a C-Stand or something.

If you DO decide to buy a shotgun mic, all the equipment (shock mount, pole, C-Stand) can be easily made with PVC Piping. You can always spraypaint these with metallic spraypaint so you don't look unprofessional to your talent/client/whatever.

I haven't used a Zoom mic in a formal lecture/interview setting so I can't really comment on how effective that would be. I suppose if it's very small and intimate with just you and your subject sitting across from each other in a quiet room... I don't see why it should be a problem.

I'm curious what you'd plan on capturing the lav with? I've only used Lavs that export to XLR. Do you have a mixer? Have you found a lav that records to SD card or something?

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
I am glad to have found this thread :) I have three questions...

1. I got a template from VideoHive and put a video on my landing page mainly because I thought it was cool. But I know that what I really need is an "explainer" video. This is for an SaaS app that doesn't actually exist yet, I want to test it and see how much interest I get. I've read Neil Patel's post on QuickSprout about explainer videos, but I was curious if you had any specific pointers or tips. I was just going to grab another template off of VideoHive. But then I thought about the minimalist text-only approach that was popular with info-products. Any tips? Voice over vs. no voice over?

2. I have a little "studio" that consists of an HD web cam, a monster computer rig, a nice cardioid mic with xlr-usb preamp, green screen and lighting, running through VidBlaster. My problem is the microphone is a little TOO good. My studio is in my basement office, and the mic can pick up conversations 1 or 2 floors above me. Sometimes its kind of cool just to sit down there with headphones on and see what I can hear. The biggest problem I'm having is with it picking up fan noise. When I'm shooting, I'll shut off the HVAC, so I don't get booming noises from the AC or heat kicking on and off. But the computer fan noise is a bit of a problem. I can't turn off the fans because the PC uses a lot of juice when using VidBlaster and sometimes streaming live. Any tips to reduce the fan noise? What about post-processing with Audacity, are there certain things I can do to filter it out or reduce it?

3. Any tips for shooting great instructional videos / e-courses?

Thanks!

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
HUGE DISCLAIMER:
I feel like a D-Bag whenever I link to my own website from this forum. I don't want to be interpreted as some cheesy self promoter driving traffic.

Now that I'm producing a lot more content, I realize I'm linking more and more often. I write about these things specifically because they're helpful to people interested in video.

Also, I naturally get very excited about the content I produce. So please don't get a used car salesman vibe from me if I link to myself.

I am glad to have found this thread :) I have three questions...

1. I got a template from VideoHive and put a video on my landing page mainly because I thought it was cool. But I know that what I really need is an "explainer" video. This is for an SaaS app that doesn't actually exist yet, I want to test it and see how much interest I get. I've read Neil Patel's post on QuickSprout about explainer videos, but I was curious if you had any specific pointers or tips. I was just going to grab another template off of VideoHive. But then I thought about the minimalist text-only approach that was popular with info-products. Any tips? Voice over vs. no voice over?

Haha I just went and read his post now. It's almost like he was watching the Webinar that me and TheTruth put on:
Epic Video Conversions Webinar

Always always always always use Voice Over. 100% of the time.

I'm going to quote some stuff a VERY smart man wrote in his book: http://www.castleforgemedia.com/mindcontrolhandbook/
Use a Trusting Voice
Human beings respond differently to different people. A single mother of 3 living in poverty, will not take
a millionaire’s word on the cheapest way to feed her family. She’s more likely to listen to somebody
who’s been through the exact same situation as her. Advice is weighted differently depending on who
gives it.

You have no idea how many times I’ve given out video advice, only to be completely rejected. It’s only
later, when they discover my experience, that they take my advice.

Each physical voice has presumed experience.

This practice can negatively play into stereotypes of age, sex, race, gender, and weight. I’m all for
equality and breaking the mold, but I’ll save the preaching for tumblr. This book is all about making you
more money.
(for those of you who don't know, I'm being cheeky by quoting myself).

A voice over is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING your videos got. If you don't include one, you're LOSING money.

That being said, you don't need to spend a few hundred bucks on an actor.
I have NO training, and I record all of mine by myself. Or get my girl to do it for me.

Do it yourself. And then redo it. and then redo it. That's free yo.
Just redo it until it sounds good.
Mathematically the cheapest way to raise production value on the thing.

2. I have a little "studio" that consists of an HD web cam, a monster computer rig, a nice cardioid mic with xlr-usb preamp, green screen and lighting, running through VidBlaster. My problem is the microphone is a little TOO good. My studio is in my basement office, and the mic can pick up conversations 1 or 2 floors above me. Sometimes its kind of cool just to sit down there with headphones on and see what I can hear. The biggest problem I'm having is with it picking up fan noise. When I'm shooting, I'll shut off the HVAC, so I don't get booming noises from the AC or heat kicking on and off. But the computer fan noise is a bit of a problem. I can't turn off the fans because the PC uses a lot of juice when using VidBlaster and sometimes streaming live. Any tips to reduce the fan noise? What about post-processing with Audacity, are there certain things I can do to filter it out or reduce it?

Great stuff. I love to hear about homebrew studios. Makes me excited.
I know what you mean about the mic picking up your neighbors cat using the litterbox. I had the same problem with mine.
I talk about it a bit here: http://www.castleforgemedia.com/doesequipmentmatter/
I specifically use a cheaper mic.

I feel like there's some sort of curve when it comes to production quality. Yeah, you can buy a REALLY good mic, but you can't use it unless you set up a soundproof, echoproof studio to use it in and a vibration-free mic stand. It goes from being a simple $300 purchase of equipment to a 15K reconstruction project.

I don't have any advice other than making sure you ALWAYS record 30 seconds of roomtone when you start and laying it under the entire track looped. Background music and sound effects distract and help to make the video SEEM more expensive, but the best way to go is figure out a way to stop the sound.

I remember working with a client. They gave me the conference room to work out of, and I had problems with their florescent lights buzzing and office chatter. I ended up ordering a portable sound booth: http://compare.ebay.com/like/171021166721?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

That works for a voice over.. but I don't really have a good solution for live shoots unless you can turn down sensitivity manually on the mic.

3. Any tips for shooting great instructional videos / e-courses?
Thanks!

Depends on what you mean or what type you're going for. Can you be more specific?
(Cop-out answer, but food's done and it's time for Dinner :coolgleamA: )

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
Whoa, thanks for all those resources. Will definitely check them out. As for more specifics on #3 - creating e-courses. Right now I'm thinking one really kick a$$ mid-ticket course at around $500. Was wondering if you had any particular tips for making really good instructional videos. I've cruised some of the free courses on udemy and they are all over the place. What I picked up from the intro video on the "course on making a course" by the AppSumo guys was - use a backdrop instead of green screen, humor, relaxed casual conversational style. Anything you've picked up along the way?

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Whoa, thanks for all those resources. Will definitely check them out. As for more specifics on #3 - creating e-courses. Right now I'm thinking one really kick a$$ mid-ticket course at around $500. Was wondering if you had any particular tips for making really good instructional videos. I've cruised some of the free courses on udemy and they are all over the place. What I picked up from the intro video on the "course on making a course" by the AppSumo guys was - use a backdrop instead of green screen, humor, relaxed casual conversational style. Anything you've picked up along the way?

BG
Backdrop vs Greenscreen shouldn't matter so long as it FITS the situation and is done well. Obviously you don't want to be in front of something that looks too out of place.. but in general a properly keyed background adds to production value. Whatever you put behind you should be fast-blurred an appropriate amount to simulate depth of focus. The hard lines on the soft background always looks really pro, I don't know why more people don't do it.

Editing
Editing should be completely consistent throughout. Avoid dissolves because they're associated with 'cheap editing'. Avoid any page peels, etc. Avoid jumpcuts unless entire video will be consistent. Try to use B-roll to mask any sudden cuts. Dips-to-white are perfectly acceptable as long as they're quick (less than 10 frame transitions

Performance
Conversational relaxed is best. If you're stiff and uptight your audience will feel anxious throughout the course. It's really about the person who's teaching actually feeling confident and secure in their understanding of the material. That sort of expertise seems to radiate off the person.

When dealing with inexperienced teachers I tell them to look above the camera, and to talk almost like they're "in love" with the audience. What I really mean here is genuinely CARE about your audience, CARE whether or not they learn the stuff. It'll come across and they'll feel at ease. They'll be drawn to the training without really knowing why.

Misc.
I've experimented with creating what I call 'quick and dirty' courses. Text + VO on an animated background.
Not nearly as much success as I would have liked, but MUCH more successful than the split-tested "powerpoint screencapture" lectures.. Wasn't engaging enough. I'm going to redo entire thing and actually appear on camera, I think it'll help.

The best training I've EVER SEEN was by Andrew Kramer of VideoCopilot.net's After Effects tutorials. If you watch from the beginning you'll see how he gets better, gets more comfortable, starts telling stories and jokes throughout. He rarely appears on camera but it's still very engaging.

Advice From One Of My Heroes.
If you haven't done training before... I recommend doing some 'no pressure' training before jumping in with a mid-level course.

I suggested a book and MJ put it into the amazon bookstore here on the forum: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/bookstore.php It's called: Rebel without a Crew: Or How a 23-Year-Old Filmmaker With $7,000 Became a Hollywood Player.

Robert Rodriguez (Guerilla filmmaker and director of Sin City, El Meriachi, Grindhouse, Once Upon A Time In Mexico, Spy Kids) mentions that "we all have 20 bad movies in us". He grew up making rapid fire movies on VHS. He reasoned that he got rid of all the bad movies when he was young. If you don't know his story.. the dude's legit. He "faked" an entire movie, made it for 7K, and it pulled in over 2M in revenue.

He still upholds himself to the 'bad movies' thing even on current projects. In commentary, The ENTIRE REASON he took on the Spy Kids franchise is to 'practice greenscreen and CG" so he can make Sin City, his dream movie.

If you've never done a tutorial video, I suggest creating something that won't matter if it you succeed or fail. Something you can pump out quickly as 'practice' and if you make some money off of it... great.

-Peace

EDIT: Wall of text. Needed visual organization/titles

Last edited by a moderator:

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
I guess it really depends on how 'pro' you wanted to go.

How formal are these live events? do you have 100% control over the situation? It's tough to say without knowing all the details.

Like exige, I'm looking at making online courses. I'd like to exceed the quality of most of the stuff currently on the market (much of which seems to be headset-mic+screencap), so I could charge a premium, though I'd like to keep the initial outlay under $1-2k until it starts generating revenue. so basically as pro as that will get me :)

I'm basically looking at creating the equivalent of full college courses. For that, I pretty much have full control of the environment, and can set up lights and such. However, it would also be nice to film/record where I'm not in control of the environment, such as lectures, presentations, or while traveling (like Tim Ferris's Random Show). Also, I end up doing some public speaking a few times per year, and I would like to be able to record my own audio, as the event organizers never seem to make quality recordings (if they record at all). (On a side note, the sony camera caught my eye because it would get some recreational use as well since I travel a bit and like snapping pics.)

I haven't used a Zoom mic in a formal lecture/interview setting so I can't really comment on how effective that would be. I suppose if it's very small and intimate with just you and your subject sitting across from each other in a quiet room... I don't see why it should be a problem.

I'm curious what you'd plan on capturing the lav with? I've only used Lavs that export to XLR. Do you have a mixer? Have you found a lav that records to SD card or something?

I guess I was under the impression that I would attach the lav to one of the small Zooms, which could hide in a pocket. The idea was to attach it to a recorder of some sort, and someone recommended a Zoom as a recorder at some point in the past, but maybe I'm confused.

Thanks again for the help!

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
Hey Dennis,

I went through your ultimate video SEO course yesterday, which I thought was frickin awesome. I was wondering if you add external links on your annotations, and if you do... how?

It seems that recently took away that "Associated Website" linking option and only allows "Merch" linking option, and that only lets approved Merchant sites link such as shopify, itunes, google play...etc.

So are custom e-commerce sites unable to be linked in youtube annotations? Thanks

edit** just realized the associated website option is not disabled, just gotta verify my site. hope this works!

edit#2** It works now ... I guess just ignore those questions before... lol Thanks for the AMA & training!

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I guess I was under the impression that I would attach the lav to one of the small Zooms, which could hide in a pocket. The idea was to attach it to a recorder of some sort, and someone recommended a Zoom as a recorder at some point in the past, but maybe I'm confused.
I understand now. I've never used a Zoom like that before... I think of the Zoom as it's own microhphone... it didn't occur to me that somebody would want to attach their own external mic into it. In that case you'll DEF want to do some research before you die. With mics like the Zoom, the mic input can be a little sensitive and incompatible with other mics. Without channeling it through some sort of intermediary, the levels could be too low or high and you can get clipping, noise, or distortion on your levels. You'll def. want to make sure you get it from a place with a 30 day return policy.

Hey Dennis,

I went through your ultimate video SEO course yesterday, which I thought was frickin awesome. I was wondering if you add external links on your annotations, and if you do... how?

It seems that recently took away that "Associated Website" linking option and only allows "Merch" linking option, and that only lets approved Merchant sites link such as shopify, itunes, google play...etc.

So are custom e-commerce sites unable to be linked in youtube annotations? Thanks

edit** just realized the associated website option is not disabled, just gotta verify my site. hope this works!

edit#2** It works now ... I guess just ignore those questions before... lol Thanks for the AMA & training!

So glad you enjoy it!
I've been thinking about taking it down permanently, rerecording, and uploading again...
As my brand grows I want to make things better and better quality but I'm not sure if I should bother.

Haha, yeah, you've got to verify your site through google webmaster tools. AND your account needs to be in good standing. I recently released a book trailer about how to 'game' youtubes system, they flagged it as spam, and put a strike on my account. Now I'm not allowed to use external links for SIX MONTHS.... that really puts a damper on my marketing.

I'm releasing an article on Friday at 11am about how to link an autotweet directly from within your video.. will be pretty epic. Basically you can show a twitter icon in your video, and when people click it, it automatically takes them to twitter and prepopulates a tweet for them.

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
I remember working with a client. They gave me the conference room to work out of, and I had problems with their florescent lights buzzing and office chatter. I ended up ordering a portable sound booth: http://compare.ebay.com/like/1710211...Types&var=sbar

That works for a voice over.. but I don't really have a good solution for live shoots unless you can turn down sensitivity manually on the mic.
So I just ordered the same sound booth ;-) I also ordered this set of 6 12"x24" acoustic absorbing panels:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-2-SoundTr...=US_Acoustical_Treatments&hash=item4175f1f24e

I'm going to mount them to the underside of the top of my desk and the sides/back of the desk around where the computer tower sits to absorb the fan noise. I might also make an L shaped panel to put around the open side and front of the computer when recording.

I recorded some videos this past weekend and the sound is just not as nice and dry as I would like. I really want to get a really close-to-pro sound and quality just like splok described, I want my course videos to really stand out. It doesn't help that I recorded my videos on little sleep and was just trying to jam something together, but at least I have a baseline to work with now to know what to improve, starting with a haircut and a chair that doesn't creak ;-)

I have high hopes for that sound box, it just looked like a lot more for the money than the other mudboxes etc. on Amazon that cost 2-4x as much, so thanks for the recommendation!

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I'm releasing an article on Friday at 11am about how to link an autotweet directly from within your video.. will be pretty epic. Basically you can show a twitter icon in your video, and when people click it, it automatically takes them to twitter and prepopulates a tweet for them.

I never linked to this. I might as well:http://www.castleforgemedia.com/embeddingtweetsinvideos/

So I just ordered the same sound booth ;-) I also ordered this set of 6 12"x24" acoustic absorbing panels:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-2-SoundTra...item4175f1f24e

I'm going to mount them to the underside of the top of my desk and the sides/back of the desk around where the computer tower sits to absorb the fan noise. I might also make an L shaped panel to put around the open side and front of the computer when recording.

I recorded some videos this past weekend and the sound is just not as nice and dry as I would like. I really want to get a really close-to-pro sound and quality just like splok described, I want my course videos to really stand out. It doesn't help that I recorded my videos on little sleep and was just trying to jam something together, but at least I have a baseline to work with now to know what to improve, starting with a haircut and a chair that doesn't creak ;-)

I have high hopes for that sound box, it just looked like a lot more for the money than the other mudboxes etc. on Amazon that cost 2-4x as much, so thanks for the recommendation!

Good to hear you're further building your home studio. Let me know how everything works out for you. Remember that the actual position the box is facing will help as well. Obviously don't leave the open portion facing the source of the fan.

Now that I moved into my new apartment I've been playing around with different setups myself... trying to find something that I'm happy with. It's a tight space to work in, but I might pull a Ray William Johnson and shoot in the corner, decorating the walls to give some interesting perspective. Again, I'll have to play around to find something that works

I'm a geek about efficiency and getting as much production value out of as little money as possible... so it'll be interesting to see how expensive I can make a video look using bubblegum and paper clips :-D

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
So...just a quick note about this dude who calls himself DennisDuty. I bought one of his products for a video (and Dennis, I WILL send a copy when I'm finished...busy with other bus stuff) and it really rocks !

I had problems with loading it into my editor and he spent a lot of time and effort helping me until I got it right.

Great product. Great service. Nice guy.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
So...just a quick note about this dude who calls himself DennisDuty. I bought one of his products for a video (and Dennis, I WILL send a copy when I'm finished...busy with other bus stuff) and it really rocks !

I had problems with loading it into my editor and he spent a lot of time and effort helping me until I got it right.

Great product. Great service. Nice guy.

Haha thanks man. I forgot this was your screen name and I took a while figuring out who this was.
I'm actually super stoked. In the next week or so I'll be releasing ~250 animated backgrounds. The 20 you saw (plus a few others) spun into 10 color combinations each. Really hope it does well.

I was ignoring VERY good advice I got here. Somebody here on the forum suggested I release my animated backgrounds individually, and I said that bundling them would be best. Turns out, I was very wrong. Here I am 4 months later, retroactively taking the advice and seeing more success with it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.