The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Am I the only one who has lots of browser tabs opened? Time to optimize the web browsing experience.

Idea threads

intotheabyss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Nov 19, 2023
Hello to the Fastlane Community!

I noticed that I always have loooots of tabs opened in my browser and it started to bother me a bit. It happens during both - professional research and personal browsing.

My main motivation to leave things in the opened tabs is: "It is interesting, but I don't have time for it right now! If I'll save it here in the open tab- I won't forget about it and I'll check it out later".

So I thought that it would be a good idea to create a service (website) that could solve my problem. Since I am working in the software industry, it wouldn't be a big deal.
I did some research and there are services like Pocket and Instapaper. They are KIND OF solving the problem that I have, but either have complicated User Experience / lack of simplicity, or lots of distracting things. So I guess that having my own service would suit my needs better, faster, and clearer.

I am planning to have a simple and understandable User Experience with the next abilities:
  • An ability to create a new "Link collection" on a certain topic (for example "Food" , "AIs" , "UI UX articles", "Travel", "Online Video Editors" , etc etc )
  • In each collection, you can attach your links (kinda like notes), and attach a short description to them (what caught your attention? Why is it important?)
  • Then on your personalized homepage, you could see the list of your collections, and maybe the most important bookmarked links.
For the MVP (Minimum Viable Product) that would be it. But then I thought: what if other people have the same issue, and would be interested in using such software?

Then I started to think, what else useful I could add there after the MVP is done? Among my ideas, there are:
  • Setup a reminder about certain links (for example "Remind to visit this link on Fri, Feb 23rd at 4:00 PM")
  • Ability to open multiple links at once (select them, or select the whole collection, and ALL of the links from there are automatically opened in your browser)
  • Add sub-collections for more specific topics.
So here I am, would like to ask you:

1. Is there anyone on Fastlane Foum who has the same / similar issue?

2. If yes, then would you use something like this? Would it simplify your browsing experience?

3. What features would you like to see in such a service to solve your pain-points?

Really would appreciate your feedback!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EliaR

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jan 5, 2024
Hello to the Fastlane Community!

I noticed that I always have loooots of tabs opened in my browser and it started to bother me a bit. It happens during both - professional research and personal browsing.

My main motivation to leave things in the opened tabs is: "It is interesting, but I don't have time for it right now! If I'll save it here in the open tab- I won't forget about it and I'll check it out later".

So I thought that it would be a good idea to create a service (website) that could solve my problem. Since I am working in the software industry, it wouldn't be a big deal.
I did some research and there are services like Pocket and Instapaper. They are KIND OF solving the problem that I have, but either have complicated User Experience / lack of simplicity, or lots of distracting things. So I guess that having my own service would suit my needs better, faster, and clearer.

I am planning to have a simple and understandable User Experience with the next abilities:
  • An ability to create a new "Link collection" on a certain topic (for example "Food" , "AIs" , "UI UX articles", "Travel", "Online Video Editors" , etc etc )
  • In each collection, you can attach your links (kinda like notes), and attach a short description to them (what caught your attention? Why is it important?)
  • Then on your personalized homepage, you could see the list of your collections, and maybe the most important bookmarked links.
For the MVP (Minimum Viable Product) that would be it. But then I thought: what if other people have the same issue, and would be interested in using such software?

Then I started to think, what else useful I could add there after the MVP is done? Among my ideas, there are:
  • Setup a reminder about certain links (for example "Remind to visit this link on Fri, Feb 23rd at 4:00 PM")
  • Ability to open multiple links at once (select them, or select the whole collection, and ALL of the links from there are automatically opened in your browser)
So here I am, would like to ask you:

1. Is there anyone on Fastlane Foum who has the same / similar issue?

2. If yes, then would you use something like this? Would it simplify your browsing experience?

3. What features would you like to see in such a service to solve your pain-points?

Really would appreciate your feedback!
I use bookmarks for this.

These are possible with bookmarks (though not too user friendly):

These aren't:
----
Personally, it's not useful enough for me. I wouldn't bother dealing with a software that does this.
Sound interesting though, good luck!

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
I use a browser plugin "Tree Style Tab" to sort of mitigate this issue and create organization. You are right though that better solutions may be needed, especially now that we could utilize AI to automatically sort and organize.

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
You are right though that better solutions may be needed, especially now that we could utilize AI to automatically sort and organize.
This. I was about to reply with this same comment. I often find myself with 40, 60, 80 or more tabs open. I wouldn't take the time to organize them, but it would be great if it were done automatically with the click of an icon.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
This. I was about to reply with this same comment. I often find myself with 40, 60, 80 or more tabs open. I wouldn't take the time to organize them, but it would be great if it were done automatically with the click of an icon.
Just out of curiosity, why do you have so many open? Why don’t you close some of them.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Sure, as a developer, business owner, investor, massage therapist, etc. I used to constantly have 100 tabs open.

Which is why I sat down for 10 minutes, setup my bookmark folders, and started using bookmarks. Even with 4 monitors, having multiple tabs open drives me insane, and is a complete waste.

Cheers.

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
Just out of curiosity, why do you have so many open? Why don’t you close some of them.
Usually a research thread that continues link to link to link. I’m a divergent and non-linear thinker. My mind can be working mechanical/control integration for a prototype and moves on to a type of SWOT analysis and goes back and forth a few times, then spills over into manufacturing processes/technologies, and then I find myself at short run costs/MOQ’s and breakeven analysis for launch. When I’m inside my head attacking a problem from all sides like Napoleon at Austerlitz I’m constantly searching for data to plug in to the orderly chaos. And note-taking and housekeeping are distractions, so I leave the tabs open for access.

And sometimes I’m just lazy.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
I usually have about 20 tabs open but I have a mental framework. The first tabs on the left - personal projects, the middle tabs - client projects, and the tabs to the right - priorities/in progress, and anything I need to open briefly - the last tab on the right, so it doesn't interrupt my flow.

If I have a higher volume of different projects, I have a different browser for each and I know that I can close them anytime because when I need them, I'll just click - history - restore window. I also use bookmarks.

You've got a solid idea but I can't imagine how this could be significantly streamlined nor I can imagine myself paying for it, but I guess it depends on how well it's executed.

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
I regularly have about 20 open on my laptop, and 40 on my phone… had over 100 at one point! Same, I don’t like to manage them or make bookmarks.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
There are productivity browsers built off of Chrome that do stuff like that. I use wavebox. Has split screen built into the browser, you can group tabs and save those as presets so that you can close or open the entire tab group whenever so you can close out all the unnecessary tabs and go back to it whenever

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.