The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Am I Supposed to Enjoy the Process Be Fastlane?

Anything related to matters of the mind

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
The line that really influenced my decision to purchase TMF when reading the first few chapters for free was this:

"The glory of the hard work was this: It didn't feel like work; in fact, I engaged it. I didn't have a job; I had a passion to make a difference"

Before I read TMF I always came from the perspective that the best way to make millions was to find a way to serve people through the activities you loved. Since reading TMF my perspective has to changed to "how can I meet the needs/solve problems of other people", there hasn't been much of a change except that now I'm completely disregarding my passion (what I love) to do from the equation.

In the book DeMarco says that you should use passion (I think he really meant motivation e.g. he was motivated by the lamborghini) to push you through the hard work of meeting people's needs. I'm very motivated (or maybe I'm really not?) but I just find it hard to do things like design my e-commerce website and work on attracting my target audience because I don't really enjoy the process. I feel as if I'm back in the classroom at times.

I feel that the best solution is to actually find a way to provide value through what I love to do which is to really interact and connect with people in person like when I was signing up clients for my first advertising campaign 2 months ago. But I can't think of a way to meet any needs through my passion plus it would make me selfish as I'd be chasing my passion rather than needs. I can follow my intuition and be lost or I can follow the TMF way and be unhappy.

Any suggestions?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
563%
Feb 9, 2016
You're alright.

Working on a business is not always fun, but what ultimately will give you success is your willingness and ability to endure and complete boring work which at some point yields results. And when you finally get results you'll feel energised and "passionate".

A personal example from my life:
Create landing page = Pretty boring
Setup ad-campaign = Extremely boring
Get customer through landing page = Fun (And I feel passionate about what I do)

You mention finding it hard to design your e-commerce website, is it because it hasn't given you any results yet? Will it? Are you putting in hours of work building something you might not believe will give you any real payoff? The reason I'm asking is that if you did believe it would give you a nice financial payoff, you might be more motivated to finish it.

I'm not sure what you're selling, but since you said you're currently building your website, I'm guessing you haven't had the opportunity to sell much yet, but give it time. Once you get results (money) from your website you'll probably feel motivated again.

Since you mentioned you love to interact with people, you could also cold call potential customers who'd be a good fit for your product.

The benefits of this is
1. You get immediate feedback on whether people want your product or not.
2. If people want it and people buy it you'll most likely feel motivated to sell more.
3. Through this you'll also get motivated to finish your e-commerce site since you now know that you can scale your business with it.

Of course all work that you need to do wont yield motivating results, but for me personally I feel more motivated to do the boring things if I know that they need to be done to support the fun things which give results.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
There is enough need in the world to somewhere fit your passion in, otherwise I'd try to find some more passions.

But I think if you do something you don't hate, and it works out it should be fine! You won't burnout and the progress alone will fuel you.

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
You're alright.

Working on a business is not always fun, but what ultimately will give you success is your willingness and ability to endure and complete boring work which at some point yields results. And when you finally get results you'll feel energised and "passionate".

A personal example from my life:
Create landing page = Pretty boring
Setup ad-campaign = Extremely boring
Get customer through landing page = Fun (And I feel passionate about what I do)

You mention finding it hard to design your e-commerce website, is it because it hasn't given you any results yet? Will it? Are you putting in hours of work building something you might not believe will give you any real payoff? The reason I'm asking is that if you did believe it would give you a nice financial payoff, you might be more motivated to finish it.

I'm not sure what you're selling, but since you said you're currently building your website, I'm guessing you haven't had the opportunity to sell much yet, but give it time. Once you get results (money) from your website you'll probably feel motivated again.

Since you mentioned you love to interact with people, you could also cold call potential customers who'd be a good fit for your product.

The benefits of this is
1. You get immediate feedback on whether people want your product or not.
2. If people want it and people buy it you'll most likely feel motivated to sell more.
3. Through this you'll also get motivated to finish your e-commerce site since you now know that you can scale your business with it.

Of course all work that you need to do wont yield motivating results, but for me personally I feel more motivated to do the boring things if I know that they need to be done to support the fun things which give results.
That answers it. Thank you very much @TheKing

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I'm very motivated (or maybe I'm really not?) but I just find it hard to do things like design my e-commerce website and work on attracting my target audience because I don't really enjoy the process.

I find that often when I don't enjoy some task related to building my business, it's usually a task that will actually build the business.

Why?

Because for me, that direct action of accomplishing tasks that could actually build the business...brings out the fear of failure.

It's amazing what tasks I actually end up enjoying when my mind is right and I'm not afraid to fail.

smoove001

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 24, 2013
I just finished reading Shoe Dog by Phil knight the founder of Nike. In the last chapter he says that the thing he wishes the most is to go back and do it all over again despite the fact that his company was in danger many times.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.