The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Am I overthinking my appearance...?

Ryan G

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Dec 6, 2017
Iowa
Hey, what's up, everybody? I could use a little input...

My business partner and I are in the process of starting a local technology services business, and I feel like we're getting too hung up on how we should dress.

We've both spent the last 13+ years in corporate America being forced to dress in mostly business and business casual attire. So, here we are now...looking to avoid that corporate feeling in our own business, but we still want to be taken seriously.

Any thoughts on how to approach this?

We aren't exactly in Silicon Valley, but at the same time we are a technology shop, so there shouldn't be an expectation for us to dress to the nines.
  • Should we simply test out casual vs business casual vs business and read impressions from our prospects and clients? Then make a decision...?
  • Should we decide what our brand represents and stick to that image? Basically, if a local business doesn't want to work with us because of our casual appearance, we'll just move on...?
As I'm typing, I feel like we're definitely overthinking this.

We're meeting with our first business prospect tomorrow. I'm not too worried about our attire for this first meeting since I have a personal connection with the company. However, I feel more concerned about the businesses in the future when we officially launch outside of our initial 3-4 trial use-case companies.

Any thoughts or virtual smacks to the face are welcome...

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
Hey, what's up, everybody? I could use a little input...

My business partner and I are in the process of starting a local technology services business, and I feel like we're getting too hung up on how we should dress.

We've both spent the last 13+ years in corporate America being forced to dress in mostly business and business casual attire. So, here we are now...looking to avoid that corporate feeling in our own business, but we still want to be taken seriously.

Any thoughts on how to approach this?

We aren't exactly in Silicon Valley, but at the same time we are a technology shop, so there shouldn't be an expectation for us to dress to the nines.
  • Should we simply test out casual vs business casual vs business and read impressions from our prospects and clients? Then make a decision...?
  • Should we decide what our brand represents and stick to that image? Basically, if a local business doesn't want to work with us because of our casual appearance, we'll just move on...?
As I'm typing, I feel like we're definitely overthinking this.

We're meeting with our first business prospect tomorrow. I'm not too worried about our attire for this first meeting since I have a personal connection with the company. However, I feel more concerned about the businesses in the future when we officially launch outside of our initial 3-4 trial use-case companies.

Any thoughts or virtual smacks to the face are welcome...

Thanks!

Maybe at your office you can be casual. But if meeting with clients for the first time, I'd tend to think one should err on the professional side.

You will never get yelled at for dressing the part, however you might for not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I argue in favor of professionalism, that's it. Whatever that means in the space. Be professional.

Action Mike

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Nov 9, 2016
I think it is best to have a professional look when de4aling directly with customers, maybe even a logo'd shirt to show a sort of uniform.

Back in the day IT people could dress in shorts flip flops and a wife beater in a corporate office if they wanted to because so few people had the skills needed at the time they could get away with it but that's not the case 99% of the time now days.

From my experience there is still a "right" to be casual attitude with a lot of IT people but there are a lot of competing technology based service businesses out there so whatever you can do to make sure you set your self apart is good.

Ryan G

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Dec 6, 2017
Iowa
Thanks for the feedback!

I definitely want to maintain a professional image, so we’ll adapt over time to find the right look for our customers and brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
Honestly, it's a personal preference and style is really overrated, but I usually go with a Polo style T-shirt with a good dress pants. The most important is shoes though. Shoes should be classy and well cleaned all the time. I've seen the difference it makes with sponsors when they took in my attire. It's all up to you, attire aside the value you offer is more important.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.